PDA

View Full Version : any blues fans?

story
September 2nd, 2001, 03:08 PM
just picked up Mississippi Fred McDowell live at the gaslight. AWSOME!!!!!!
If ya'll are into the blues, i can't reccomend this one highly enough. It turned out to be his last performance, but he sounds on top of his game(or anyone elses for that matter)
It's some of the most achingly beautiful music i've ever heard.
Peace
story

Earth Walker
September 2nd, 2001, 04:21 PM
Ariel & I are both blues fans. Yes, it is great music! :)

Leadbelly, Ma Rainey, Bessie Smith........:cool:

Have you listened to the new CD by Maria Muldaur:

"Richland Woman Blues" ?

Very good stuff.

I'll get Ariel here for a chat. Thanx.

story
September 3rd, 2001, 11:18 AM
Yeah, leadbelly's great. Rock Island Line has to be one of my all time favorite songs.
I love the older stuff. Son House is another one that just blows my mind
I haven't heard Maria Muldaur's new album but everything i have heard from her ahs been amazing. Thanks for the pointer.
incidently, have you heard the staples singers album freedom highway? they do this brilliant version of samson and delilah. sends chills up your spine. I'd propose to Mavis if there wasn't religious differences. 8O

SpikesPet5150
September 3rd, 2001, 04:38 PM
I like some blues.. I'm sure I'll like more if I listened to it.. but I like Jonny Lang and Kenny Wayne Sheppard, and I reallllly like Richie Kotzen's blues album. I'll check out some songs.
~Bree

MammaStar
September 5th, 2001, 09:51 PM
I like the blues mixed with some southern rock. Kenny Wayne Sheppard ROCKS!!!! I saw he & his band open for the Black Crows and they blew me away. For a young guy, that kid can play the gi-tar! Black Crows kick some butt too, as do the Allmann Brothers. Like I said, I like the blues, but mainly mixed with the southern rock style.

I pretty much listen to everything and like a little of it all. Country, opera, heavy metal, etc. You name it, I probably have a fave band/song/album from it.

:D :thumbsup: :boing:

Shy Hawk
September 17th, 2001, 05:38 PM
The only real blues song I ever heard that I liked so much I went and bought the CD for was "hard time killing floor blues"...which is a song done by many artists, supposedly written during the depression.

It's on the "O Brother, Where Art Thou" soundtrack. I think it's wonderful..
~Shy

Earth Walker
September 17th, 2001, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by Shy Hawk
The only real blues song I ever heard that I liked so much I went and bought the CD for was "hard time killing floor blues"...which is a song done by many artists, supposedly written during the depression.

It's on the "O Brother, Where Art Thou" soundtrack. I think it's wonderful..
~Shy

The "Hard Time Killing Floor Blues" was inspired by those
working in the Chicago Slaughter Houses, circa 1940.

Armitage
September 18th, 2001, 12:17 AM
I'm not sure...I like Billie Holiday.
And does Joni Mitchell count? Or is she more folk?

Earth Walker
September 18th, 2001, 01:01 AM
Joni Mitchell is more folk.

BrightStar
September 18th, 2001, 01:41 AM
Hi all!
I love the blues.Just put on some Elmore James and some champion Jack dupree and found this thread.
I love Billie Holiday,but I see her as a jazz artist.I love jazz too.
Ray Charles is always great.Of course,Robert Johnson is a fave.Sonny Boy Williamson,Howlin' Wolf,Muddy Waters,Lightnin' Hopkins,and John Lee Hooker.I was raised on all that old stuff.Keb Mo and Robert Cray are good.Marcia Ball is fun to see,and her CDs are good too.
And,of course,ya gotta love Bessie Smith and LeadBelly.
Also,Hendrix had some really good electric blues songs.
Peace and Love
BrightStar

Earth Walker
September 18th, 2001, 10:14 AM
Bessie Smith..."Empty Bed Blues"
Ma Rainey..."Prove It On Me Blues"

Jellyroll Morton...Etta James.....Josephine Baker.....lots of great
artists..

Shy Hawk
September 18th, 2001, 12:27 PM
I like Billie too, but I didn't think she was a blues singer.

Earth Walker
September 18th, 2001, 12:57 PM
Billie did the occasional Blues song, but she was mostly Jazz.:)

Armitage
September 19th, 2001, 12:27 AM
Not to sound like a moron, but what's the difference? I thought jazz was mostly instrumental...

Earth Walker
September 20th, 2001, 01:11 PM
Well,you can't truely separate them by vocals from instrumentals.Jazz has big city roots and started from brass band marching band stuff and left Sousa and other brass music when it began to improv its own tunes with its own beat and syncopation.The new jazz of a 100 years ago had words and vocals as often as not,But the blues were already old and steeped in oral tradition before jazz started and go back clear to
slave times,Get an anthology of folk blues by Alan Lomax from any library,and follow with a bio on Buddy Bolden who was there when jazz was being born before the onset of recorded music....
Jazz -big city roots --Blues rural country roots