PDA

View Full Version : Advice on introducing another cat to three settled cats

Windigo
November 1st, 2004, 08:00 PM
Hi!

I'm now fostering a fourth cat. This is a temporary event, however, I already have two very settled cats. How should I introduce the first cat to Patches, Panzer and Maggie? I know its best to keep the cat in one room, with the door closed. The problem with that is there are only two places where a door can close. One is the walk-in closet, which is fairly large, and fairly filled up, and the second is the bedroom. The biggest issue with the bedroom is the fact that its Maggie and Panzer's favorite place in the world to nap, and also their favorite place to eat!

So, if anyone has any advice, I'd appreciate it. Our apartment isn't too tiny, but its certainly not huge. (Its about 829 sq.ft) :whatgives

LadyTrinity
November 1st, 2004, 08:03 PM
Hmm it can be hard.. it really depends.. I just recently did this.. the girl next door moved with her 5 year old daughter into her fathers place and didnt bother to bring her kitty.. so i decided to let him stay with us. My cat austin powers seems to like Ozzy Osbourne but Ozzy is still getting used to Austin. As long as they respect eachothers space they are ok.
I guess you will just need to give them time or a big pet talk. :lol:

CzechWoods
November 1st, 2004, 08:31 PM
Hi!

I'm now fostering a fourth cat. This is a temporary event, however, I already have two very settled cats. How should I introduce the first cat to Patches, Panzer and Maggie? I know its best to keep the cat in one room, with the door closed. The problem with that is there are only two places where a door can close. One is the walk-in closet, which is fairly large, and fairly filled up, and the second is the bedroom. The biggest issue with the bedroom is the fact that its Maggie and Panzer's favorite place in the world to nap, and also their favorite place to eat!

So, if anyone has any advice, I'd appreciate it. Our apartment isn't too tiny, but its certainly not huge. (Its about 829 sq.ft) :whatgives

namaste windigo

rosequartz into the water of all cats for sure wont be a waste.

a ferromone spray can be very helpful too (ask your vet), just to make all cats feelmore accepting and easy.

show your old cats WAY more appreciation. play with them, pamper them with treats and fav foods. always cuddle them before cuddling the new one. feed the oldones first n the order f their rang. at last feed the new kitty.

thats all of hand. but there is more. i ll let you know, when it hids my mind. lol
_catroll_

audi
November 1st, 2004, 08:46 PM
i agree with giving your cats some extra attention.
i know with dogs you try to have them meet each other on neutral territory. perhaps that will help with cats too?
good luck! take care. *hugs*

Ahautenites
November 1st, 2004, 08:52 PM
Clip everybody's toenails at least an hour before you let them meet each other. (This way, they have a chance to settle down again after the "ordeal" is over, and they won't take out that particular irritation on each other.)

ap Dafydd
November 2nd, 2004, 09:03 AM
Couple of things that have worked for us.

Give them treats all together, so that no one feels left out.

Keep them all in for a few days if you let them out - it'll stop anyone sulking and refusing to come in.

Then just let them get used to each other. Once they've done the sniffing and hissing bit, they should be ok. Cats are more sociable than you might think, so long as they aren't too set in their ways

gwyn eich byd

Ffred

Bronach Druid
November 2nd, 2004, 09:15 AM
You could try putting the new kitty in one of those plastic cat carriers for a short while. This way they could all see and smell one another without being able to hurt one another.

zakzekezedd
November 2nd, 2004, 12:30 PM
My poor mob are used to "newcomers"....there is occasionally a bit of hissing and huffing, but for the most part they are pretty blase about the whole business. Be prepared for the possibility that someone may feel the need to express their opinion of the situation by peeing or pooping in interesting places, or doing other naughty things like tearing up the drapes or knocking things off the knickknack shelves. The fermone spray should help with that situation. Oddly enough, the established cats may find it necessary to reestablish their "pecking order" amongst themselves, so don't be too dismayed if your cats that have been peaceful companions up until now suddenly start squabbling among themselves. I will normally keep a newcomer in the bathroom for a couple of days to give them a bit of a chance to get their bearings. I have one or two of my cats who are quite willing to spend time in the bathroom with the newcomer (actually, I suspect they are really just busybodies and can't abide not being in the middle of whatever is going on). One thing I have observed is that if you go into the situation with the mindset that everything will be fine, then it usually is. If you go into the situation with the mindset that there is going to be all these problems, then that's what you seem to get.