PDA

View Full Version : Unsolicited book recommendation

DebLipp
November 2nd, 2004, 01:39 PM
I was in Enchantments in NYC a week ago (was it a week? It's all a blur). Enchantments is probably one of the oldest occult stores in the US, and definitely the oldest in New York City, having been there for, I dunno, 25 or more years.

Anyway, the new owner, Stacey, and I were chatting about this and that. She is expanding the store and there will be a tattoo artist doing ritual and "regular" tattooing out of the shop. (Stacey herself is very heavily inked.) She showed me the latest issue of New Witch; the artist who wrote about tattooing in it is the artist who will be working out of Enchantments. The she said, "yeah, and there's this fantastic new book about ritual tattooing, it's got some of the best stuff I've ever seen on the subject, it's great, it's by Yasmine Galenorn."

:abanana:

Aidron
November 2nd, 2004, 02:09 PM
Was she talking about "Crafting the Body Divine"? I'm not sure when Yasmine released that one, but I do not believe it's new and I can think of no other book on ritual tattooing she has recently released.

Regardless, you gotta love word of mouth.

SylverStar
November 2nd, 2004, 02:13 PM
Cool. I need to get that book...specially with how interesting I find tattooing and piercing. I only own one book by Yasmine and it's probably one of her lesser known ones.

Ooo and I tottally want to fly out to NY now.

misschief
November 2nd, 2004, 02:25 PM
oh wow. go yaz _travolta_

DebLipp
November 2nd, 2004, 02:46 PM
Yeah, Crafting the Body Divine. Sometimes stores get books late.

Yasmine Galenorn
November 2nd, 2004, 03:09 PM
I was in Enchantments in NYC a week ago (was it a week? It's all a blur). Enchantments is probably one of the oldest occult stores in the US, and definitely the oldest in New York City, having been there for, I dunno, 25 or more years.

Anyway, the new owner, Stacey, and I were chatting about this and that. She is expanding the store and there will be a tattoo artist doing ritual and "regular" tattooing out of the shop. (Stacey herself is very heavily inked.) She showed me the latest issue of New Witch; the artist who wrote about tattooing in it is the artist who will be working out of Enchantments. The she said, "yeah, and there's this fantastic new book about ritual tattooing, it's got some of the best stuff I've ever seen on the subject, it's great, it's by Yasmine Galenorn."

:abanana:

Man, that's nice to hear--unfortunately, they're already starting to dump (remainder) quantities of it because they were stupid enough NOT to promote it and so hardly anybody's ever heard of it. *sighs*

It came out in 2001, November, and was pretty much a casualty of 9/11's economic fallout--CP went down and sold at that time, took over six months to close the deal, and then took Ten Speed a good year to get their act in any sort of shape. I asked if they were promoting older books that were already in print when they acquired the press and was told 'nope'...

BUT...I'm glad she likes the book--it IS a good book and I was very proud of it. I hope enough copies reach the people who really could use it (and btw, in blatant self-promotion, I'm selling signed copies directly off of my site--well, the info is on my site).

Thanks Deb, for the heads up. Nice to hear that somebody's actually heard of it for a change!

Yazza :colorful:

Yasmine Galenorn
November 2nd, 2004, 03:11 PM
Cool. I need to get that book...specially with how interesting I find tattooing and piercing. I only own one book by Yasmine and it's probably one of her lesser known ones.

Ooo and I tottally want to fly out to NY now.

I'd say that CTBD is my least-known book...let's see...ETM has sold the most so far, my mysteries (both of them) are in second place and edging up on ETM already, third would be Trancing The Witch's Wheel, then a tie between Dancing With The Sun & Tarot Journeys....and then the four books with Ten Speed come after that, though I think Totem Magic might make it out of the black hole that is my publishing experience with them.

Yasmine :colorful:

DebLipp
November 2nd, 2004, 04:44 PM
Man, that's nice to hear--unfortunately, they're already starting to dump (remainder) quantities of it because they were stupid enough NOT to promote it and so hardly anybody's ever heard of it. *sighs*

It came out in 2001, November, and was pretty much a casualty of 9/11's economic fallout--CP went down and sold at that time, took over six months to close the deal, and then took Ten Speed a good year to get their act in any sort of shape. I asked if they were promoting older books that were already in print when they acquired the press and was told 'nope'...

BUT...I'm glad she likes the book--it IS a good book and I was very proud of it. I hope enough copies reach the people who really could use it (and btw, in blatant self-promotion, I'm selling signed copies directly off of my site--well, the info is on my site).

Thanks Deb, for the heads up. Nice to hear that somebody's actually heard of it for a change!

What a sad damn story; publishing is full of 'em. Stacey hasn't owned Enchantments for long. I thought you'd be glad to know that if you ever come to New York you have some really committed body art fans willing to give you time and space and probably money. First I was going to PM you but then I thought hey, let everyone know.

Oh, and I can't wait to buy it myself. Right now I'm in heavy research for the next book, and only buying books that are pertinent to it. When I'm reading for my own pleasure again...

Yasmine Galenorn
November 2nd, 2004, 04:48 PM
What a sad damn story; publishing is full of 'em. Stacey hasn't owned Enchantments for long. I thought you'd be glad to know that if you ever come to New York you have some really committed body art fans willing to give you time and space and probably money. First I was going to PM you but then I thought hey, let everyone know.

Oh, and I can't wait to buy it myself. Right now I'm in heavy research for the next book, and only buying books that are pertinent to it. When I'm reading for my own pleasure again...

LOL...well, order it from me, at least I might see some money from it! ~grins~ And yeah, publishing ain't the gold mine people think it is...at least not for a number of people, though my mysteries are really taking off and I have higher hopes for those than I ever did for my NF.

What are you working on now? I'm working on the fourth Chintz 'n China book, then onto the second India Ink book, then the fifth CC book, then the third I-I book, all by the end of next year. I'm bookin'!

Bainidhe Dub
November 2nd, 2004, 04:54 PM
I loved CTBD and I've actually bought copies for my aunt for Yule *grins* I totally recommend Yas's books to people who've asked.

misschief
November 2nd, 2004, 05:01 PM
i don't think i've read any of your books yaz, as embarrassed as i am to admit that lol, i'm going to have to check them out. i've been poor lately, so i haven't read much of anything.

Yasmine Galenorn
November 2nd, 2004, 05:37 PM
i don't think i've read any of your books yaz, as embarrassed as i am to admit that lol, i'm going to have to check them out. i've been poor lately, so i haven't read much of anything.

Well, my fiction is usually in the library system, sometimes my nonfiction, and you can enter my contests that I hold (I give out a couple free signed copies of books now and then)! http://www.galenorn.com/teashop/default.asp?body=ascontest.htm

SylverStar
November 2nd, 2004, 06:24 PM
Actually I lied I have your most popular one It's Patricia's I was thinking of. So are you telling me I should buy CTBD now than...I'm such a procrastinator and I hate buying things online....I haven't seen it or Totem or Debs Way of 4 in Barnes and Noble...I've been looking.

Yasmine Galenorn
November 2nd, 2004, 06:52 PM
Actually I lied I have your most popular one It's Patricia's I was thinking of. So are you telling me I should buy CTBD now than...I'm such a procrastinator and I hate buying things online....I haven't seen it or Totem or Debs Way of 4 in Barnes and Noble...I've been looking.

If you want, you can buy it from me via snail mail, with a money order http://www.galenorn.com/teashop/default.asp?body=ascontact.htm#Signed

And yeah, I dunno how long it will be available. Totem Magic is in some B&N's, depends on the area I think.

Yasmine :colorful:

SylverStar
November 2nd, 2004, 07:22 PM
I hate getting money orders too...lol. Maybe I'll just drop by your house...lol. I'll search Barnes and Noble again for Totem...and maybe I'll just use my cc for the other.

misschief
November 2nd, 2004, 07:24 PM
i'll order one when i can, it's povertyville here atm. lmao. oh well... it gets better. a couple of them do sound interesting, so i'll have to remember. maybe i could have yaz periodically send me an email like 'um, did you buy my books yet?' :lol:

DebLipp
November 2nd, 2004, 09:41 PM
LOL...well, order it from me, at least I might see some money from it!
Will do!

What are you working on now? I'm working on the fourth Chintz 'n China book, then onto the second India Ink book, then the fifth CC book, then the third I-I book, all by the end of next year. I'm bookin'!

I just got a note from Llewellyn that they received, today, the MS for "The Way of Four Spellbook," which is more or less what it sounds like, a sequel to Way of Four that is entirely about spellcasting.

I've just started "The Study of Witchcraft" which is a Wiccan/Witchcraft study guide; sort of an expansion of the "Topics of Study" thread in my forum.

DebLipp
November 2nd, 2004, 09:47 PM

You can ask any bookstore, such as B&N, to order a book you want. They are always happy to do it. It doesn't obligate you to buy it either.

lightdragon
November 2nd, 2004, 10:46 PM
. Stacey hasn't owned Enchantments for long.I first found out Stacy was the owner a few months ago. I thought she was only a manager. Nice girl.I might be going back there in a week or two. I`ll try to take a look at the book.If i say anything else i will be a liar.

Yasmine Galenorn
November 4th, 2004, 05:05 PM
Will do!

I just got a note from Llewellyn that they received, today, the MS for "The Way of Four Spellbook," which is more or less what it sounds like, a sequel to Way of Four that is entirely about spellcasting.

I've just started "The Study of Witchcraft" which is a Wiccan/Witchcraft study guide; sort of an expansion of the "Topics of Study" thread in my forum.

Good luck with the new book, and the one just in. When I was with Llewellyn, I will say I had a good editor but she left right before I did, and that was one small part of my leaving there. When's SoW due?

Yas

Yasmine Galenorn
November 4th, 2004, 05:06 PM
You can ask any bookstore, such as B&N, to order a book you want. They are always happy to do it. It doesn't obligate you to buy it either.

Very true...I often order books through B&N locally.

Yas

DebLipp
November 4th, 2004, 05:12 PM
Good luck with the new book, and the one just in. When I was with Llewellyn, I will say I had a good editor but she left right before I did, and that was one small part of my leaving there. When's SoW due?

Yas

I love working with Andrea Neff, she's very thoughtful and a great help and a grammatical whiz. SoW I just started writing, my usual run is 9 months per book but then, I generally write 80,000 word books. I suspect SoW will be more like 50,000 so it might go quickly.

WoF Spellbook I am hoping for spring '05.

Yasmine Galenorn
November 4th, 2004, 05:14 PM
I love working with Andrea Neff, she's very thoughtful and a great help and a grammatical whiz. SoW I just started writing, my usual run is 9 months per book but then, I generally write 80,000 word books. I suspect SoW will be more like 50,000 so it might go quickly.

WoF Spellbook I am hoping for spring '05.

Never talked to her, but she was probably there after I left. My mysteries are running 85,000K and I'm working on a four month cycle for those. Needless to say, I'm busting my butt. My NF runs, I think, about 50-60K, though Tarot Journeys was longer.

*sprinkles your books with faerie dust so they sell well*

DebLipp
November 4th, 2004, 05:44 PM
Never talked to her, but she was probably there after I left. My mysteries are running 85,000K and I'm working on a four month cycle for those. Needless to say, I'm busting my butt. My NF runs, I think, about 50-60K, though Tarot Journeys was longer.

*sprinkles your books with faerie dust so they sell well*
85k per mystery, in 4 months? Damn, you're good.

Of course, I have a day job. :)

Yasmine Galenorn
November 4th, 2004, 06:07 PM
85k per mystery, in 4 months? Damn, you're good.

Of course, I have a day job. :)

Day jobs make a difference! :lol:

Actually, I have to say, this little experiment of five books in two years is making me write tight, very tight, and focus to the nth degree. I don't think I want to keep this pace up after this--two books a year would be plenty, but I know I can do it if I have to. And it immerses me in the writing.

With this new book, A Harvest of Bones, I'm digging deeper into my psyche for it, drawing on a lot of experiences and emotion and it's turning into something bigger than the other three C/C books (or the first I-I book)--something that has just sucked me in. Even my editor thinks it will be a 'different' 'bigger' book for me. And this is the first novel I've written TO music--usually I can't do that, but this one has been partially written to a lot of hardcore, gothic rock like Gary Numan's new CD Pure (came out in 2000), and Dead Can Dance, and stuff like that. I feel immersed in autumn this year, since the book is set right near Samhain/Halloween, and it's more of a classic ghost story--mystery/romance than just paranormal mystery. It's affecting me like a snake, slithering through deep woods in the dark, rather than a jaunt in the park during the afternoon. Dunno if that makes sense, but it does to me.

Ah...ghosts and dreams and visions and old bones come to light....I do love writing these books--this is what I always wanted to do. Tell stories rather than teach. Draw readers into worlds that they can barely emerge from to draw breath...

LOL...don't mind me...just in that trance like state where I'm walking in shadows.

Yazzapanther :colorful: