View Full Version : herbal smoke

September 2nd, 2001, 09:59 PM
i made this year a herbal smoking blend from wild plants of alaska and i was wondering if anyone else makes their own for pipe ceremonies or just for smoking and if so what did you use in yours? mine is buckbean, angelica, pineapple weed,and yarrow i wanted to add coltsfoot but i couldn't find any i know it grows here just not where i was looking
any way i am very coruious about this and maybe looking to trade herbs from alaska for herbs native to your area
blessings aroura

September 2nd, 2001, 10:54 PM
No, I've never tried smoking my herbs before. I have burned them in incense & smudge sticks though. I have lots of sweetgrass that I grow myself.

September 2nd, 2001, 10:57 PM
:p Oh! Where are my manners?? Welcome, Seawitch! Nice to have another green witch on board. :wave:

September 3rd, 2001, 12:39 AM
hello and thanks for the welcome i just love this site so full of information and very active
i make my own incense too it is one of my favorite things to do and a couple months ago i attended my first pipe ceremony well thats all it took for me to start thinking i could make my own smoke so i did a little reading and it turned out pretty wonderful i think now i am getting my husband to carve me a pipe for my own ceremonies since i am a solitary almost totaly
i just bought a braid of sweet grass for 4 dollars
i have lived in akaska for 25+ years and i've been practicing and studying wicca for about 11 years my husband is thlingit(sounds like klink it) he is a pagan in denial
well i am just going on looking forward to sharing in this forum
blessings aroura

Silver Venus
September 3rd, 2001, 09:55 AM
Hiya Seawitch,
That smoke sounds good! I have never made any myself, and Im afraid Ive no clue how to either ~ ingredients or preparation ~ but Im very willing to learn and swap some herbs!
I actaully bought a packet of a natural smoking mix which was supposed to make your head all fuzzy when I was younger but never actually smoked any of it in the end ~ well couldnt get it to light! Then my friends and I tried tea bags! then sage! Yuck, lol, we were young :)
Im really interesting in smoking cermonies and would love you to tell me more about them? Please :D

September 3rd, 2001, 08:00 PM
I would love to hear about your pipe ceremony if you don't mind sharing. I'm a solitary also & love incorporating other customs into my rituals.

September 3rd, 2001, 09:17 PM
hi all
well i have only been too 2 pipe ceremonies so i don't really know much but i think i will be using it for a meditation ritual or maybe in circle
it began by invoking the elements and what i took to be goddess then everything was censed there was drumming rattles and others were chanting the first round of the pipe was not smoked but passed to be held for prayers the bowl in the left hand and the stem in the right and on the next round the pipe was smoked to release the prayers after we shared some food and left an offering that the blue jays carried off
it was really very nice and i will try to adapt it for my own use
blessings aroura

September 4th, 2001, 03:09 AM
Welcome !!!!! Pleased to meet ya!! :):):):)

Silver Venus
September 4th, 2001, 07:08 AM
& very native! I once use a cuban cigar in a rite and found that the smoke from that was very focusing and grounding.

Can I please ask ~ Who are the blue jays? What kind of pipe ceremony was it? It sounds really interesting.. maybe ill go off and do a little search now ;)

Silver Venus
September 4th, 2001, 07:21 AM
Brilliant page!

Dates for ceremonies!

Origin of the Lakota Peace Pipe

How to perfrom a ceremony!!

This one looks great!

September 4th, 2001, 11:06 PM
those are great sites and i will check them out more throughly this evening i also found a site on the making of the pipe i don't know how to add a link but the address was www.pipestone.comand it had the lore on the stone and showed some traditional pipes i have asked my husband to carve me one in the disk version and i'll make the stem my self i don't carve very well although i have made a couple ivory spoons for incense and some button earings but to stick with tradition i think a native should carve it my friends who held the ceremony were a mix of alaska natives and white about half. the pipe ceremony is not traditional in alaska although they did have huge smoky sweat lodges. i have been trying to find out as much about the culture as i can but it is hard as most of it is forgotten or beaten out of them .and few of the elders will share or are in denial that they were ever anything but christian it is quite sad considering just 200 years ago they were pagan there has been more young people interested in the old was
the blue jays were little feathered friends of the goddess
got to go and do some reading
blessings aroura

Silver Venus
September 5th, 2001, 01:07 PM
They sound so sweet!
Thats very sad about there past ~ hopefully in years to come they can reclaim there history and be proud to be pagan once again.
Your pipe sounds lovely!! and so do your spoons! I'm all inspired now :) Wish I could carve, my hands are too unsteady for that.. I have carved before ~ but it didnt work out for us both.. the wood suffered badly Im afraid :( I did make it an offering so hopefully shes resting in branch heaven now! I was trying for a wand.. and after that attempt a few months later I found a branch I loved again, and decorated her with ribbons, crystals and painting :)

Thanks for the link too ~ hoping of to have a look now!

September 5th, 2001, 06:55 PM
my carvings are very simple i like to work with what is provided and just add a little bit i understand about the unsteady hands i end up holding so tight that my hands cramp and my husband helps me all the time he's the best

September 9th, 2001, 01:01 AM
:eek: Oh, no! Now you've got me interested...I'll have to check out those sites now. :p

Seawitch, how do you know which herbs are ok for smoking? I would guess that you follow the same rules as making incense...if you can't burn those herbs indoors, you probably shouldn't smoke them? Also, I wanted to ask you what is pineapple weed?

September 9th, 2001, 11:25 AM
well after the ceremony i got very curious too so i got my favorite book on local plants . wild plants of alaska and the northwestby janice schofield it is great it not only has food and medicinal uses but historical and magical uses as well and it had a recipe for smoke which i changed some what
i think it is o.k. to smoke anything that taste good providing of couse that it is identified correctly and isnt poisonious course and some plants are used medicinaly by smoking like colts foot for asthma
pineapple weed is like chamomile (of alaska) but it doesn't have petals it is kind of ferny and grows in places that have been disturbed old lots and such it is sweet smelling like chamomile and has the same calming qualities i found it burns hot by it's self but just fine when added with slower burning herbs and it aides in psychic workings
i am still after my honey to carve the pipe so i can get started smoking but he is slow untill it is his idea i have tried it with a pipe i have left over from youth just to taste it and i think it is good going to give a friend a sample today

September 10th, 2001, 03:10 AM
The pineapple weed sounds interesting. I'm going to see if I can find more info on it. Do you use if for anything else medicinally?

I have an old corn cob pipe that my grandfather made when I was very young. It's supposed to be an usable pipe but it's never been used.

I've been seriously thinking of growing a bit of tobacco next year...mainly for offerings & such.

September 10th, 2001, 08:02 PM
i use pineapple weed same as chamomile for insomnia and for cranky children it is good for nursing mothers it helps with milk production
i think i grows all over the world so there should be some in your neck of the woods and it smells good
i think growing tobacco is a great idea i would like to try it myself maybe next year i don't know if it will grow here but it cant hurt to try live and learn it is actauly pretty mild here on the panhandle growing season from mid may to samhain most years but we get alot of rain well it is a rain forest i have to keep reminding myself 100 + inches a year and the days are getting noticiably shorter wonder if i'll ever get used to it been here 25 years and it still gets to me every fall. well got to get to work

September 10th, 2001, 08:18 PM
Pineapple weed? I think I know what you mean. At my parent's house sometimes I'd swear there's more pineapple weed then grass ;) Thanks for the info on it.