PDA

View Full Version : Where would you go...?

Pure Ahimsa
November 6th, 2004, 09:51 AM
If you had not found your religion, or if you were not born your religion, which religion would you choose?

Faeawyn
November 6th, 2004, 10:09 AM
Holy Cow!! That's quite a list. I was born Baptist, but I would have found my way to where I am anyway. :)

Pure Ahimsa
November 6th, 2004, 10:10 AM
Cool, but the question really is...where would you go to besides what you have now, sorta like a second choice, its kinda fun to see people's second choices
=)

Pure Ahimsa
November 6th, 2004, 10:11 AM
Oh, at first I thought you meant you were Baptist, then you would go to Baptist anyway, lol, stupid me, ignore post # 3 lol

kiara
November 6th, 2004, 10:21 AM
Wow... :jawdrop: That's a list. I was born baptist and I think no matter what, I'd be doing what I am now, which is making my own religion. But then, I'm more spiritual than religious and very attracted to earth based spirituality.

Faeawyn
November 6th, 2004, 10:27 AM
But see....I didn't choose my religion. I simply am what I am. From the time I was a child, I had strong feelings about things.....like it was engrained in me. I suppose if there had been no books, and no other people who were Pagan/New Age...nothing to guide me or inform me.....I would have stayed with Christianity.

misschief
November 6th, 2004, 10:37 AM
i chose other, i'm not any religion, just a witch. so i really don't know.my guess is i'd still be of no religion.

Stormcall
November 6th, 2004, 10:45 AM
I've never really had a religion (athiest/agnostic) but I finally found my path- Wicca. If I wasn't Wiccan, I guess I'd still be agnostic...

Secrets Flame
November 6th, 2004, 11:23 AM
It's nice to think up hypothetical situations like this, the unfortunate part is, that you could never know. Who you are, and what you are, is the way things were always going to be. It is the paradox of fate. We have the freedom to choose who and what we are, and who and what we will become, but because we chose one over the other, in hindsight, there was never anything else we can be.

I wish I could say what other path I might have taken, but I can't... because if it were possible for me to be on another path, then I would be on that path, and not the one I am on now.

Pure Ahimsa
November 6th, 2004, 11:34 AM
It's nice to think up hypothetical situations like this, the unfortunate part is, that you could never know. Who you are, and what you are, is the way things were always going to be. It is the paradox of fate. We have the freedom to choose who and what we are, and who and what we will become, but because we chose one over the other, in hindsight, there was never anything else we can be.

I wish I could say what other path I might have taken, but I can't... because if it were possible for me to be on another path, then I would be on that path, and not the one I am on now.

Very interesting, but if you did not know about your current religion, which of these religions would you pick if you just had to pick from studying, who you are, etc. Like how some religions are close to others.

Secrets Flame
November 6th, 2004, 11:38 AM
Very interesting, but if you did not know about your current religion, which of these religions would you pick if you just had to pick from studying, who you are, etc. Like how some religions are close to others.

But I do know about my current "religion" (though I prefer to not affiliate myself with a religion, rather a faith). If I wasn't following the faith I follow, then I wouldn't be who I am, so could I really claim that I have chosen a different path? Would I really be me, would any of us, really be the same person, if we had done things differently in the past? If life had handed us different tools, and fate granted us different situations in which to use them, would any of us be who we are today?

Personally, I doubt it.

Flaire-FireStar
November 6th, 2004, 02:32 PM
I'm not sure. We're not sure what my religion is right now. :eyebrow:

savannahrose44
November 6th, 2004, 04:41 PM
It's hard to say there are a variety of cultures mixed into my family background so I really don't know what I would be if I had not been raised to be a mormon. As it is I left the mormon church and have been searching for my path ever since. :braindrai

Shanti
November 6th, 2004, 04:51 PM
My spirituality wasnt a choice...its who I am.

Pol
November 6th, 2004, 04:54 PM
I wish I were born into Shinto. Somehow. I guess I wish I were Japanese. Which is weird, because I'm not the kind that goes around saying 'ne' all the time and using anime smilies or acting like I'm an otaku trying to be Japanese. Just, if I could have had it differently, I probably would have. I've had quite a few people try to show me the true horror of Japan (I've found Japanese young people who like America try to paint a bad picture of Japan). I know it has faults, and many of them, but I feel that in the future it will be perhaps the greatest culture on earth. Just get womens rights stuff going on and we're all set.

Calen
November 6th, 2004, 04:55 PM
But see....I didn't choose my religion. I simply am what I am. From the time I was a child, I had strong feelings about things.....like it was engrained in me. I suppose if there had been no books, and no other people who were Pagan/New Age...nothing to guide me or inform me.....I would have stayed with Christianity.

Same here. I was raised Catholic. If there hadn't been any resources to influence me, no other Pagans, no lovely websites like this, then yeah, I imagine I would still be in the church, with the same doubts I've always had.

Shanti
November 6th, 2004, 05:10 PM
These thoughts perplex me. When I was a child..4 or so I already was in my own path. I followed my heart. My mother tried to make me follow her chatholicism but it never mattered to me becuse all I had to do was go outside and I felt my spirituality in and all around me.
I was differant and knew and accepted me that way.

Of course I had no names, no lables, only feelings and I know that even without the available knowledge thats around today...I still would of ended up right where I am except I wouldnt have lables or names or anything but my feelings would be the same.
So when I say I didnt pick my path...I really didnt. It is simple me.

Temptation
November 6th, 2004, 06:42 PM
Well I'm just a Witch, I don't really follow any specific religion. I've borrowed
ideas from so many other Faiths, mostly Wicca, Hinduism and Buddhism, but then
I've twisted those ideas around enough that they're not even recognisable anymore.
I have a problem with religion and with the concept of Deity. I just can't seem to
grasp it. I believe in a common "energy" that flows through all things and beings
because I feel and use it everyday through magic. But that's as far as my concept of
God (how I hate that word) goes. I was raised Catholic, but always rejected the idea
of Deity. But then I was also raised by a Witch, a catholic Witch (I know, go figure) so
it sort of balanced things out for me.

So, if I had to choose, it would have to be create my own religion. But then I guess that's what I'm already doing so, my second choice would be to have no religion at all
Agnostic?? or is it Atheist??

Color me confused :huh:

TaysatWesir
November 6th, 2004, 07:07 PM
I would have converted to Santera if I did not find Kemeticism.

Aowyn
November 6th, 2004, 07:12 PM
i chose other cause i didnt see buddhism.

~Anamorata~
November 6th, 2004, 07:18 PM
I know what I already am...but, if I needed to convert to something...I'd created my own...Sullyism. Period.

Nah, seriously I'd have to say Native American.

shenanigans
November 7th, 2004, 01:21 AM
Well, I was born mormon, but left it when I turned 18 and my parents couldn't force me to go anymore. If I had to join a structured religion, I'd pick Hinduism. I love that religion, it's fascinating! I'm kind of half Hindu in my beliefs anyway, and half Druid, so that makes me what.... Shiva's tree-hugging step-child? lol! :hehehehe: (feel free to roll your eyes at that one)

Storm Moon
November 7th, 2004, 08:01 AM
I'd probably have to go with Native American Spirituality cause I've got Cherokee heritage per my great-grandmother. She was a full blooded Cherokee. I guess it's where I get my temper from :lol:

indigo rain
November 7th, 2004, 12:32 PM
i chose native american spirituality. i have a little bit of native american ancestry, as do a lot of americans... and if i hadn't found wicca, that's what i would have looked into. i still am fascinated with native american shamanism, and like to use a lot of their techniques.

Pure Ahimsa
November 7th, 2004, 07:24 PM
MerytMaihes...I've never heard of Kemeticism, what is it?

Oh yeah, sorry Aowyn and others, I thought I put Buddhism down? Hmm...that's weird, I have a Buddhist in my family.

TaysatWesir
November 7th, 2004, 07:33 PM
MerytMaihes...I've never heard of Kemeticism, what is it?

Oh yeah, sorry Aowyn and others, I thought I put Buddhism down? Hmm...that's weird, I have a Buddhist in my family.

Kemetic is the ancient Egyptian religion the temple per-ankh (http://www.per-ankh.org/define.html) has a more detailed description.

halfwaynowhere
November 7th, 2004, 11:50 PM
well, i was raised without religion. i had pagan influences from both parents, but i probably would have ended up following native america spirituality because my mom is native american, and i follow a lot of their beliefs anyways. of course, when i was 8, i wanted to be jewish so i could get 8 times as many presents for hannukah then i would get for christmas. of course, there were other reasons, i wasn't that selfish...

Katya
November 7th, 2004, 11:55 PM
i follow the ecclectic pagan path, but i'd choose yoga spirituality or spirituality period if i didn't already have a path.

elfmage
November 8th, 2004, 05:32 AM
I voted other.... I have quite strong Buddhist influences now, and I think it would attract me the most.

Aelfoak
November 8th, 2004, 08:35 AM
I wasn't born into any religion as my father wasn't religious and wouldn't allow me and my brothers to be christened, but i found out that i was a Pagan quite a few years ago.

Fane Ayuma
November 8th, 2004, 08:49 AM
Native American Spirituality

Cos i did!!!!

kitsch
November 8th, 2004, 02:54 PM
i would have probably ended up some form of mystic jew. from what i've seen, judaism tends to be the only organized faith i could picture myself living in. i love how they incorporate so many tiny rituals into their daily lives; they seem to always be praying with everything they do, which i think is beautiful. mind, i couldn't give up my interest in all things occult, so i imagine i'd have to look for a relatively liberal branch.

plus, if you ever try kosher 'jello' or ripping good cookies...drool.

Pure Ahimsa
November 8th, 2004, 11:50 PM
Well, the "liberal" branches, their are two meanings. One, not many traditions involved/debate about excistence of g-d, just Jewish for the sake of being Jewish, while you can be Liberal and Orthodox...keep up traditions while stretching the Torah, Guess thats Conservative, my father is a Orthodox Jew so I learn from him a lot.

Pandoras
November 9th, 2004, 03:07 AM
Interesting.

I was born into a liberal Catholic family. I slowly strayed from that towards a spirituality I thought I had invented, although years later I discovered it had a name - Paganism. So I'm not entirely sure how to answer the question, but for the sake of argument I voted Spirituality Period. If I had to choose an actual religion, I would go back to liberal Catholicism (which has a lot of Pagan elements anyway).

Psyche Ague
November 10th, 2004, 01:21 AM
If I were not exposed to any sort of religion, I would probably worship Nature, much as I do now.

Karma Chameleon
November 14th, 2004, 01:45 AM
If you had not found your religion, or if you were not born your religion, which religion would you choose?

Hmmm I'd most likely be an atheist.

Faerin
November 14th, 2004, 05:53 AM
I picked confusiousismismmmm...I'm thinking it is like Buddhism? anyways, Buddhism is closest to my religion now. Interesting question

teishabee
November 14th, 2004, 11:42 AM
I think its all situation, I was born into society which basis's its beliefs on atheism, my parents go with the flow. Therefore thats what I was rasied, well more agnostic. But that was just me. So general spirituality.

arctic splash
August 8th, 2005, 02:01 AM
Native American spirituality, Buddhism, or Taoism... probably.

QUEEN OF THE DAMNED
August 8th, 2005, 02:07 AM
I would and I do make my own set of beliefs. Tailor made to me and my morals :)

Rayzer
August 8th, 2005, 02:21 AM
I like using my sexuality as my religion :lol:
Edited to add: Although I'mm currently transitioning from agnostic with christain inclinations to pagan

HorseCrow
August 8th, 2005, 05:07 AM
Other- Buddhism.

Isis-Rayne
August 8th, 2005, 01:58 PM
I would probably do as I have already done .. create my own Path.

Childof_theMorrigan
August 8th, 2005, 02:33 PM
I am who I am and so I voted make up my own... because thats what I did and that, based on my personality would be what I would do. I actually did this and just realized that I was what we call a pagan. I just thought it was me... but apparently there's a lot of people who believe similarly to myself even though I didn't know what a pagan was at the time.

Catiana
August 8th, 2005, 04:50 PM
If I had not found Wicca, or more correctly if Wicca had not found me, I wouldn't be following any religion.

Garnet
August 8th, 2005, 07:32 PM
I converted to Judaism 25 years ago. While I practice waitch craft, I don't consider myself Wiccan or Pagan, I still think of myself as a Jew. So I'd be Jewish, but probably a lot more traditional than I am now, probably Orthodox.

Mitexi nikoal
August 8th, 2005, 07:46 PM
I'm a life long pagan but if I had been pagan, Ifa sounds good. I know it's still pagan :)

Crystal Raven
December 7th, 2005, 10:33 PM
i took the question as "what if wicca/paganism etc didn't exist, so i went with Taoism, it has always fascinated me.

Sora_Majo
December 7th, 2005, 10:46 PM
hello

Heart of Isis
December 7th, 2005, 11:11 PM
I went with Atheism. I was born into Lutheranism, then went to nothing, then to Born-again fundie hate-filled Christainity (that is not the same as mainstream or Catholism...clear?) then I went to Atheism on all levels for a few years and was devout about it.....then something happened, (I don't know the details), but it woke me up to my core and brought me around to belief in the Egyptian pantheon and paganism, where I am at today with no chance of ever changing as it is at my core. (Although Paganism is not a religion, it's an umbrella term as I'm sure everyone knows).
(Kind of like what happened to the world renouned Egyptologist Dr. Z. I can never remember how to spell his name. He was a devout skeptic and athiest when he started out for many years and now has a love and respect for the Egyptian pantheon and believes they are real and live on in our hearts today. I have heard him say that. I have paraphrased it a bit of course).

I'm chatty tonight I can see...stopping now.

Heart of Isis

Theres
December 8th, 2005, 01:44 AM
If I had not found Wicca, or more correctly if Wicca had not found me, I wouldn't be following any religion.

ditto.
i wasn't 'searching' when i found Wicca, it just happened. i'm no longer Wiccan, but if i hadn't found that back then i would probably still be a perfectly happy athiest.

ap Dafydd
December 8th, 2005, 08:46 AM
I'm reminded of an arrogant English prime minister in the 19th century. A visiting diplomat said "If I were not Italian, I would choose to be English" and got the response "If I were not English, I would choose to be English".

If I was not Pagan, I would choose to be Pagan...

gwyn eich byd

Ffred

Mouse
December 8th, 2005, 08:48 AM
I voted ages ago saying "yoga spiritualist" but I think if I were to convert to anything it would be Islam

StarSpiral
December 8th, 2005, 11:03 AM
I think it would be depend where I was (I can't imagine being me and in this same place and not developing the same beliefs) I've been learning more about Sufism from a Muslem friend, as well as Native American/Canadian spirituality (Cree and Ojibway specifically, I think its important not to lump all the nations into one), Hinduism, and Santeria, but they are all very place/culture specific but I lived where these were/in that culture I would likely find myself as one of them.

(I hope that made sense, I have a bad cold)

Astara Seague
December 9th, 2005, 12:22 PM
As for me, I do not need a strutured church to worship in or someone else trying to tell me what is right for me, my church is nature and what is inside of me, I have little use for strutured religions so mine is other_inabox_

Xirian
December 23rd, 2005, 03:42 PM
I'd probably just make up my own and follow those beliefs.