PDA

View Full Version : www.wiccaforbeginners.com

MorningDove030202
November 11th, 2004, 06:44 AM
This is the best site I have seen for total beginners who are interested in Wicca. It talks about Wicca from a Gardnerian POV but also talks about other Wiccan traditions. It covers the real history, the "burning times" about Magick, and there is even one free protetion spell ;) I would also recomend it for parents to look at if their kids are interested in Wicca.

www.wiccaforbeginners.com

Feel free to check it out and discuss it's pros and cons....

Dove

DraconisArcanus
November 11th, 2004, 06:59 AM
Interesting site whch actually might be something good for kids of pagan parents. Thanks

MorningDove030202
November 11th, 2004, 10:36 AM
The only thing I would add to the info is the relatively new phrases "Soft Polytheist" and "Hard Polytheist" Soft polytheists are the "all the gods are The God, and all the Goddesses are The Goddess" kinda pagans, and the Hard Polytheists are the "Each god is an idividual" kinda pagan.

Dove

Faelon_Moon_Hawk
November 16th, 2004, 10:27 PM
I agree, i think that is definately a good site for beginning wiccans, or those just interested in learning more about it...thanks for the link :)

Willow_starr
December 14th, 2004, 01:08 PM
An excellent site for beginners, I was turned off by the free spell at first until I actually read it - quite brilliant. I disagree with the author's presentation of the "burning times" as I don't believe (and don't think there is much historical evidence to proove) that the Inquisition was targeted at pagans. I also have issue with the disclaimer and password (which is being dicussed on another forum) and have written to Simon Craft (the author) about it.

I also really love the clear layout. I'm not sure what's the matter with many pagan webmasters but large yellow text and graphics overload are neither attractive or helpful in the presentation of information.

MorningDove030202
December 14th, 2004, 03:08 PM
An excellent site for beginners, I was turned off by the free spell at first until I actually read it - quite brilliant. I disagree with the author's presentation of the "burning times" as I don't believe (and don't think there is much historical evidence to proove) that the Inquisition was targeted at pagans. I also have issue with the disclaimer and password (which is being dicussed on another forum) and have written to Simon Craft (the author) about it.

I also really love the clear layout. I'm not sure what's the matter with many pagan webmasters but large yellow text and graphics overload are neither attractive or helpful in the presentation of information.

Hey, what exactly did you say to Simon Craft? I'd love to hear his responce. Oh and I agree about the inquisition, they may have been trying to targe witches, but they killed many inocent people instead. I'm thinking about using the site to created a presentation for the UU about Wicca, but I intend to ask Simon Craft for permission first.
Dove

Willow_starr
December 14th, 2004, 04:07 PM
My E-mail:
Hello,

I just wanted to say I really enjoyed you page "Wicca for Beginners". I am not a new Wiccan myself but I love finding good Pagan resources on-line. However, I just wanted to ask: what's up with the disclaimer and password on your front page? I understand that there are some laws around proselytizating to minors but you make it very clear that that is not what your site is about. I find it troubling because of the message that it sends that learning about Wicca is somehow not appropriate for young people. I cannot think of any other religious site dealing with only basic information about their faith with such a disclaimer. I first found Wicca as a teenager and could have really benefited from the information on your page. Could you please give more insight into your reasoning?

Cheers,
Alissa

Reply"
Sure can... a lot of it has to do with the fact that I'm ordained clergy and
head of a national Wiccan church organization, which leaves me rather
exposed for liability issues.

The laws on proselytization and minor contact by clergy are diverse, poorly
written, randomly enforced and could easily be used as a weapon by a hate
group trying to make an example of me... That's something I'd like to avoid.

We live in a screwed up society where a Christian minister can walk up to a
12 year old boy on the street, hand him a tract, and tell him that his
parents are going to hell for not being church-goers, but a well intentioned
non-invasive publication from a Wiccan priest could be seen as corrupting
the morals of a youth... a crime with a potential 5 year jail term.

Rather than allowing this to silence me, counsel writes a `contract'
entrance and with a little luck I don't get arrested :-)

In light of your e-mail, I agree that the entrance could be seen as implying
the contents (or Wicca in general) are somehow unfit for minors. I should
work on that. I'm open to suggestions.

Thank-you for the feedback, and I respect your concern for the image
portrayed.

Best Wishes,

Simon

Haerfest Leah
December 14th, 2004, 04:13 PM
hmm good e-mail you got back from him. I agree tho that this is one of the best starter sites for beginner wiccans.

Obsidien Star
November 6th, 2005, 02:31 PM
My E-mail:
Hello,

I just wanted to say I really enjoyed you page "Wicca for Beginners". I am not a new Wiccan myself but I love finding good Pagan resources on-line. However, I just wanted to ask: what's up with the disclaimer and password on your front page? I understand that there are some laws around proselytizating to minors but you make it very clear that that is not what your site is about. I find it troubling because of the message that it sends that learning about Wicca is somehow not appropriate for young people. I cannot think of any other religious site dealing with only basic information about their faith with such a disclaimer. I first found Wicca as a teenager and could have really benefited from the information on your page. Could you please give more insight into your reasoning?

Cheers,
Alissa

Reply"
Sure can... a lot of it has to do with the fact that I'm ordained clergy and
head of a national Wiccan church organization, which leaves me rather
exposed for liability issues.

The laws on proselytization and minor contact by clergy are diverse, poorly
written, randomly enforced and could easily be used as a weapon by a hate
group trying to make an example of me... That's something I'd like to avoid.

We live in a screwed up society where a Christian minister can walk up to a
12 year old boy on the street, hand him a tract, and tell him that his
parents are going to hell for not being church-goers, but a well intentioned
non-invasive publication from a Wiccan priest could be seen as corrupting
the morals of a youth... a crime with a potential 5 year jail term.

Rather than allowing this to silence me, counsel writes a `contract'
entrance and with a little luck I don't get arrested :-)

In light of your e-mail, I agree that the entrance could be seen as implying
the contents (or Wicca in general) are somehow unfit for minors. I should
work on that. I'm open to suggestions.

Thank-you for the feedback, and I respect your concern for the image
portrayed.

Best Wishes,

Simon
Does anyone know the password for this site? The site says its 18+only but I can't get it to work. Thanks for your help and Magickal Blessings, Obsidien Star

Ben Gruagach
November 6th, 2005, 02:35 PM
If they've made the site difficult to get into I think you shouldn't bother with it. The information there is easily available on many other equally good websites not to mention in many many books that are accessible to people under 18.

Check http://www.witchvox.com for instance -- their info is excellent, and they also provide lots of links to more information on whatever topics you want to research. Right here at MysticWicks we have plenty of really knowledgeable people, not to mention a wonderful group of published authors, who are ready and able to answer questions too!

MorningDove030202
November 8th, 2005, 04:28 PM
Here, if you didn't see it in the big red font on the main site:

PASSWORD REQUIRED
username enter: wicca
password enter: 18+only

Dove

Does anyone know the password for this site? The site says its 18+only but I can't get it to work. Thanks for your help and Magickal Blessings, Obsidien Star

Kalika
November 8th, 2005, 05:50 PM
It is well laid out, though I didn't like the password thing either. It makes it seem as though there is adult content on there... and there was nothing on there that I didn't find through various other sites when I first started looking over 10 years ago.

His layout was simple and easy to follow... and I agree, that it would be a good site for beginners to check out.

Instead of the password though, maybe he could just have a disclaimer regarding his teachings, in order to protect himself.

Hmm... will have to think about that.

LostSheep
November 8th, 2005, 06:02 PM
If they've made the site difficult to get into I think you shouldn't bother with it. The information there is easily available on many other equally good websites not to mention in many many books that are accessible to people under 18.

Check http://www.witchvox.com for instance -- their info is excellent, and they also provide lots of links to more information on whatever topics you want to research. Right here at MysticWicks we have plenty of really knowledgeable people, not to mention a wonderful group of published authors, who are ready and able to answer questions too!

Oh yes, WitchVox is good ...

... actually this is quite good as well, it sums things up quite well.

Lunacie
November 8th, 2005, 06:56 PM
Rather good, from what I've read so far. However, many Wiccans would disagree with this statement:

To fill in the gaps, Wicca considers all of the old gods aspects (faces of, or sides to) of The Goddess or The God.

From discussions I've been in with traditional Wiccans, they are often insulted when someone says that their particular matron or patron isn't an individual god, but only a facet of some uber god.

I thought the way the author of the site relates the Wiccan Rede and the Law of Three to ethical concerns and personal responsibility was good, however again there are many Wiccans, especially traditionalists, who don't feel the Wiccan Rede is a core concept. Of course, they still have traditional ethics.

LostSheep
November 8th, 2005, 07:10 PM
Rather good, from what I've read so far. However, many Wiccans would disagree with this statement:

From discussions I've been in with traditional Wiccans, they are often insulted when someone says that their particular matron or patron isn't an individual god, but only a facet of some uber god.

Yes, he does maybe skirt round the pantheism/polytheism question ... but I think he does do quite a good job in condensing a subject about which, as some people have said, there are as many different interpretations as there are Pagans.