PDA

View Full Version : Starting from scratch

RubyRose
November 12th, 2004, 01:08 AM
Okay, just yesterday, between the hours of 11:30am and 3pm I managed to loose one notebook, that primarily had all my tafe notes in it. Now, this wouldn't have been a great loss, except I'd also used it to record some magickal workings, diary entries and other mundane thoughts and research. Most of which aren't important. However there was one such entry, that was important. It was the recordings of notes taken when my boyfriend Rhyce and I carried out a circle, and ritual together.
He has the habit of being rather poetic, so I'd written down the words he used to open and close the circle. So as the majority of those are now lost to me.
I have decided to begin to create my own.

This is what I have written so far.

Entering the Circle

Hail to the guardians of the North, bearer of earth. Enter!
Hail to the guardians of the South, bearer of fire. Enter!
Hail to the guardians of the East, bearer of air. Enter!
Hail to the guardians of the West, bearer of water. Enter!

Departing the Circle

O Guardians of the North, I thank you and bid thee to depart this circle now.
O Guardians of the South, I thank you and bid thee to depart this circle now.
O Guardians of the East, I thank you and bid thee to depart this circle now.
O Guardians of the North, I thank you and bid thee to depart this circle now.

Does it sound right? I'm working from memory as much as I can, and it sounds a little disjointed. Opinions?

Bendithion,
RubyRose

bshore
November 12th, 2004, 01:17 AM
This may be a personal preference, but isn't the south usually attributed to fire, and the west to water?

Otherwise, this sounds very nice. Maybe you could call your boyfriend and he'll remember?

RubyRose
November 12th, 2004, 01:33 AM
This may be a personal preference, but isn't the south usually attributed to fire, and the west to water?

Otherwise, this sounds very nice. Maybe you could call your boyfriend and he'll remember?

Oops, I've probably got my correspondence confused.

I'll check it out.

Bendithion,
RubyRose

argento_occhi
November 12th, 2004, 01:35 AM
they're gorgeous, Ruby. i've never been one for poetry, but those words i really like. Maybe i just like the word 'hail'. i dunno. :D

bright blessings,
argent

RubyRose
November 12th, 2004, 01:46 AM
Oops. Seems I got South and West mixed up. But that's easily fixed.

RubyRose
November 12th, 2004, 01:52 AM
they're gorgeous, Ruby. i've never been one for poetry, but those words i really like. Maybe i just like the word 'hail'. i dunno. :D

bright blessings,
argent

Yeah, I like it too. I'm gunna pester Rhyce on the Weekend see if he can remember what he actually said. Which is probably not too fair off from what I've currently got.

I've never been one for poetry, but that said, I seem to be doing pretty good since I began writing spells and so forth.

Plus, the movie 'The Craft' was a good inspiration this time round.

Bendithion,
RubyRose

argento_occhi
November 12th, 2004, 01:57 AM
well, good for you :)

Gede
November 12th, 2004, 02:31 AM
MM~

Well considering you (RubyRose) live in Australia you might actually like to reconsider your correspondences, but then you don't have to at all. A lot of southern hemisphere practitioners associate North with Fire and South with Earth as at our end of the world to the north of us lies the equator and the south the Antarctic, the tundra, the cool/dark earthy qualities embodied by that Element. Go with how you feel. Remember the original correspondenes were worked out according to the poetry of locale and the geographical climate/weather/land i.e. in Britain the South represents Fire because the further south you travel the hotter it gets (the equator) and the North equates with Earth as it represents the Arctic and to the West lies the Atlantic ocean.

Namaste, Gede...

RubyRose
November 12th, 2004, 02:49 AM
MM~

Well considering you (RubyRose) live in Australia you might actually like to reconsider your correspondences, but then you don't have to at all. A lot of southern hemisphere practitioners associate North with Fire and South with Earth as at our end of the world to the north of us lies the equator and the south the Antarctic, the tundra, the cool/dark earthy qualities embodied by that Element. Go with how you feel. Remember the original correspondenes were worked out according to the poetry of locale and the geographical climate/weather/land i.e. in Britain the South represents Fire because the further south you travel the hotter it gets (the equator) and the North equates with Earth as it represents the Arctic and to the West lies the Atlantic ocean.

Namaste, Gede...

I'd actually forgotten about that until I created this thread. It's been a while since I've worked on my Book of Shadows, or even glanced at any elemental correspondence. I'll take that into consideration, and seeing as I shift the Sabbats, I may as well shift the North and South attributes as well. One question though, does that mean East and West are switched as well?

Bendithion,
RubyRose

Romani Vixen
November 12th, 2004, 06:13 AM
I like more descriptives.

Hail to the Guardians of the West, Spirits of Water. Powers of emotion, cleansing, and healing, come to witness these rites tonight.

This is more than anything, to remind me what they do, why they are there.

Morag Elasaid Ni Dhomhnaill
November 12th, 2004, 11:29 AM
Well what part of Australlia are you in Ruby? Because isn't Western Australlia really hot and dry? I would definitely associate fire with that the west then. Land/Earth I would consider to be Antarctica to the south, because it's cool and dry. Though you could possibly even go north with that because of the large land masses that comprise Europe, Asia and Africa being to the north of you. Or it could be water in the north because of the Atlantic...or even to the South because of again Antarctica being covered in glaciers...frozen water. Either way I would go with Air to the east because of the mountains in New Zealand.

mucgwyrt
November 12th, 2004, 11:47 AM
Yeah, I like it too. I'm gunna pester Rhyce on the Weekend see if he can remember what he actually said. Which is probably not too fair off from what I've currently got.

I've never been one for poetry, but that said, I seem to be doing pretty good since I began writing spells and so forth.

Plus, the movie 'The Craft' was a good inspiration this time round.

Bendithion,
RubyRose
:uhhuhuh: there are some really good ones in that, aren't they? :)

zakzekezedd
November 12th, 2004, 11:49 AM
Actually, while most of us do connect Fire to the South, and Water to the West, there are a few traditions that put Water to the South and Fire to the West. It seems a bit odd to those of us who are accustomed to the Fire/South, Water/West correspondences, but the rituals I have been to led by an individual using the Water/South, Fire/West correspondences were very powerful.
And RubyRose, I really like your quarter call. While I appreciate the beauty of some of the more elaborate and poetic calls, I must confess I prefer simplicity. Besides, being of a decidedly unpoetic nature myself, I would never get a ritual or spell written if I had to rely on my rhyming ability. The important thing is that it comes from YOU, that's what gives the words power.

RubyRose
November 12th, 2004, 09:20 PM
Well what part of Australlia are you in Ruby? Because isn't Western Australlia really hot and dry? I would definitely associate fire with that the west then. Land/Earth I would consider to be Antarctica to the south, because it's cool and dry. Though you could possibly even go north with that because of the large land masses that comprise Europe, Asia and Africa being to the north of you. Or it could be water in the north because of the Atlantic...or even to the South because of again Antarctica being covered in glaciers...frozen water. Either way I would go with Air to the east because of the mountains in New Zealand.

Well its not so hot and dry. I'm down in the South West Region of Western Australia. It's up North more near the desert where its really dry and hot.

I'll have to ponder the directions some more, and decide exactly. Stupid hemisphere's. Why can't anything be straight forward?