PDA

View Full Version : Meditation problems

Amadore
November 13th, 2004, 05:26 PM
I have been having a lot of trouble meditating later. I find that no matter what I do, i cannot clear my mind. I end up spending 10-15 minutes sitting around pretending to meditate, but I don't end up benefiting from it. I used to meditate and would end up feeling great afterwards, but now, I can't even focus for one minute. I get so distracted.

What can I try doing?! I really need to meditate but lately, I haven't been able to!

AlAskendir
November 13th, 2004, 06:46 PM
Are you grounding first?
Can you breathe?
Is there something you aren't dealing with in your life, that you can't stop thinking about or feeling about?
Are you in the midst of greiving for something?

Our subconscious' priorities and our own are not the same, and guess who's in control of your body, your senses, and thus your brain?

Have you any means of communicating with your subconscious, ie, do you know the pendulum technique? I so, skip the following.

Pendulum Technique

Get a needle, some thread, a notebook, and a pen. Work on your first question until you have it in open format (yes or no answer), and write it down. On another sheet of paper, draw a big circle with a cross in the middle. Put the thread thru the needle-eye, and hold the needle by the thread in one hand, with that arm's elbow on the table so that the needle's point is just above the intersection of the cross. Mentally ask 'Which way is 'yes'?', and 'release' conscious control over your hand....you won't see or feel your hand or arm moving, but soon the needle will be swinging a particular way, across+away then back+toward you, or side to side, or clockwise, or counterclockwise. When you get a response, write it down, and then ask 'Which way is 'no'?', and write down that response. Then ask 'Which way is 'I don't know'?', and 'Which way is 'I don't want to answer'?'
When you have all of that, you're ready to begin.
Ask your questions, and find out what is going on inside you. You may be surprised.

Carickah
November 13th, 2004, 06:47 PM
Do you use any kind of focus? A candle flame, drumming music, a crystal, a bowl of water???? You might try one or more of these if you are having problems.

k

Calen
November 13th, 2004, 07:59 PM
If it's a simple matter of mundane distractions, I'd suggest using a pre-recorded meditation or journey. Sometimes having things fed right into your mind can allow you to relax, and just observe. That worked for me!

If it's more serious than that, then try and figure out what your subconcious is trying to tell you. There's obviously some discrepancy there, and your meditations probably won't improve till you've solved it.

Good luck!

CzechWoods
November 13th, 2004, 08:21 PM
I have been having a lot of trouble meditating later. I find that no matter what I do, i cannot clear my mind. I end up spending 10-15 minutes sitting around pretending to meditate, but I don't end up benefiting from it. I used to meditate and would end up feeling great afterwards, but now, I can't even focus for one minute. I get so distracted.

What can I try doing?! I really need to meditate but lately, I haven't been able to!

try using a clear quartz and a candle. focus on the light in the crystal. hold the crystal.

other than that, different idea. lie down. put chakra stones on each chakra (red to ch. 1 etc).
wait until you feel some energy from the stones.
ground now
start breathing
ground again

try meditating

should be helpful tooo.

(my keyboard sux, sorry)

IndigoOwl
November 13th, 2004, 08:24 PM
Are you using a mantra? If so, you might try using a different word or chant, and making sure that your breathing is "in sync" with it, at least for the first few minutes of your meditation. (Breathe in on first syllable or word, out on second.) When your mind wanders, just gently return to the mantra--don't try to force thoughts away.

I have found that using a meditation CD can help, too.

Amadore
November 15th, 2004, 08:25 AM
Wow, you guys all helped so much! I'll be sure to try all of t hose techniques and hopefully, I'll be able to meditate soon like I used to :) Thanks a lot!!

Mowri
November 19th, 2004, 12:55 PM
Hello Amadore

Try moving meditations...(ie: yoga or tia chi)
One of the most common misconceptions of meditation is that its only effective while staying absolutely still. Try standing tall, breathing deeply, (in for four, out for four) and try moving your body slowly, however you feel is right.
This is the basis of Kata in martial arts, it was practiced by monks of the shaolin, (and likely many other spiritual groups)...
Being a person whos always had a problem sitting still without falling asleep, I've found the moving meditation approach really helps.
(sorry that was so long winded...but i hope it helps a little)