PDA

View Full Version : my lonely kitten

spooky
November 14th, 2004, 08:32 PM
i have the most wonderful and darling kitten (almost grown, 6 months). the problem is, i work so much and she is lonely.

what animal should i get that is
-cheap
-not smelly
-won't live forever
-isn't a dog and
-can live in an apartment

that can keep my cat company. a rabbit maybe? a grown one that my cat won't attack?
or a ferret that won't attack my cat, but will it eat my furniture?

katie727
November 14th, 2004, 08:40 PM
u could try going to the spca or a pound of some sort and adopting another cat they useally get along good :clapping:
or maybe a faret but they r more trouble than it sounds so idk i think another kitty might work if u like cats _catroll_

Humming Bird
November 14th, 2004, 08:41 PM
i have the most wonderful and darling kitten (almost grown, 6 months). the problem is, i work so much and she is lonely.

-cheap
-not smelly
-won't live forever
-isn't a dog and

that can keep my cat company. a rabbit maybe? a grown one that my cat won't attack?

ferret, um no those are very bright, my aunt's got stuck in the couch and we had yo cut it out to make a long story short, id suggest another cat maybe?

Humming Bird
November 14th, 2004, 08:42 PM
u could try going to the spca or a pound of some sort and adopting another cat they useally get along good :clapping:
or maybe a faret but they r more trouble than it sounds so idk i think another kitty might work if u like cats _catroll_

she beet me to it lol

Romani Vixen
November 14th, 2004, 09:10 PM
We had ferrits. if you want them to get along with the cat and vice-versa, they have to be raised together. Most of them are really stinky too... :(

I'd suggest another cat.

Acid Halo
November 14th, 2004, 09:19 PM

-cheap
-not smelly
-won't live forever
-isn't a dog and

I would recommend a Sugar Glider they are so sweet and friendly. Also ferrets DO NOT attack cats i had two ferrets and 2 cats and they all loved eachother.

spooky
November 14th, 2004, 09:42 PM
I would recommend a Sugar Glider they are so sweet and friendly. Also ferrets DO NOT attack cats i had two ferrets and 2 cats and they all loved eachother.
sugar gliders are adorable, but my cat would definetely see it and think "hmm, she's brough me treats" and eat him with no hesitation.

i guess a cat would be the best option, but i don't want another animal spreading cat poo smell around my tiny unventilated apartment.

rabbits, i have found, would eat my furniture. ferrets would probably drive me crazy, i need something sorta low maintenance.

any other ideas? i guess another cat would be the way to go. this sounds horrible, but i don't want two cats for a long time. i want something that won't live forever because i don't want to have to take care of two pets for long.

TornadoAli
November 15th, 2004, 10:05 AM
maybe just get a bunch of cat toys and a cat tree, etc, to keep her entertained while you're gone.

Gwenhwyfar
November 15th, 2004, 10:47 AM
Ya, Id go with the cat toys and stuff, ferrets require and Deserve alot of love and attention, so if you dont have much to give then Id stay away from ferrets....to get a pet with hopes of it dieing sooner rather than later is just not a good thing, in my opinion, but its just my opinion. Good luck~:)

LadyAutumnCat
November 15th, 2004, 11:20 AM
I don't recommend another animal, it sounds like you don't really want to have any animals. I can't imagine wishing for an animal that won't live too long. Not trying to be mean here, but it just isn't right.

spooky
November 15th, 2004, 03:36 PM
i know, you are right, it sounds terribly cold. if it makes you feel any better, i'm only coldhearted in the planning. besides, ther are loads of older cats that would love to stay in my house. i'm a good cat owner. i just think it's cruel to keep any animal alone for so long, which right now can't be avoided.

maybe i could foster parent a cat and see how it would work out.

Gwenhwyfar
November 15th, 2004, 07:08 PM
Hey theres an idea!

sincerebliss
November 15th, 2004, 07:55 PM
If you get another cat..be careful only because cats seem to be territorial. Get a much younger kitty because younger ones don't seem to be as...violent as the older, more adult cats.

Black RiverWolf
November 15th, 2004, 08:07 PM
i agree. but we have ferrets and rabbits and cats. our ferrets play with the cats and the bunnies. they are not all that stinky if given a bath once in a while and changeing their litter pan out. but you right in getting another cat but if you don't want to have another pet for a long time then get her a mirror and some toys.

BrigidMoon
November 15th, 2004, 08:16 PM

I agree with Katie. I think another cat would be a good pal for your lil lonely kitty! :idea:

Seren_
November 15th, 2004, 09:05 PM
Leaving a radio on or wrapping a wind up tick-tock clock might help. The noise of the clock is like a mother's heartbeat and can help kittens adjust in the first few days or so away from their mothers. It's comforting and like they have company; and perfect if another kitty is not an option.

Once the cat is more mobile, if it's allowed outside, it should be ok. Otherwise you need to keep it occupied more than anything. Plenty to play with - otherwise it will go for your furniture and wallpaper - and lots of attention and fuss.

LadyAutumnCat
November 15th, 2004, 11:01 PM
Cats should remain indoors! Keep the kitty entertained with the tv, they have special kitty videos that you can leave on. The radio is also a great idea.

If you think you really are up to it, and can give another cat love, then definitely adopt an older cat. There are many sitting in shelters and they are just as loving, if not more so, than most kittens. I definitely know this for a fact, as I am a shelter volunteer!

IMO, there are too many dangers out there to allow a cat to roam! Cars, predators, people, diseases, etc etc.

spooky
November 17th, 2004, 10:14 PM
toys, check. i'm going to build a little kitten gym to occupy the little guy.

he has to stay inside, i live next to a crack house on a busy street. thanks for the great ideas everybody!

emmunite
November 17th, 2004, 11:00 PM
As stated all ready....there is no reason what so ever for a cat to be outside. If you have a harness and a line ok...if you have a fenced in yard and the cat can't jump it or get out fine...but...free roaming cats just to be outside...there is no reason for it. NONE.

i guess a cat would be the best option, but i don't want another animal spreading cat poo smell around my tiny unventilated apartment. any other ideas? i guess another cat would be the way to go. this sounds horrible, but i don't want two cats for a long time. i want something that won't live forever because i don't want to have to take care of two pets for long.

Hmmmm....I understand the smell issue...but...in all honesty there's not much difference in 2 as opposed to one. Scoop the box daily...there's no smell issue. Why the hesitation on "taking care of two pets for long?"

i know, you are right, it sounds terribly cold. if it makes you feel any better, i'm only coldhearted in the planning

Planning? In regards to? IMO cats do better in pairs. I know there are many solo felines that do just fine. I personally however usually have multiple cats. And yes, integration can be an issue...but...if you're willing to do it properly it can be done.

maybe i could foster parent a cat and see how it would work out.

As a volunteer and a foster parent...I don't recommend it if you don't have a lot time. It takes a lot of time, energy, and work. I applaud the desire and if you have the time and energy to devote to it then please...do so....foster homes are always needed. But, it would not work as an temporary fix for your situation. If you don't have time to devote to your current pet...then you may want to reconsider fostering.

What ever you decide...please remember....your pet is a lifetime committment. Please do not get a companion as a temporary fix. You will be doing more harm than good to your pet and as well as the one you take in.

I mean no offense by what I've posted...but...I've seen too many cats and dogs dumped at the shelter door...I've seen too many dead on the side of the road. Make the responsible decesion....which isn't always the easiest.