PDA

View Full Version : New Age & Paganism

Morning Star
November 16th, 2004, 01:25 PM
I am pagan, but I do not practice any "New Age" spirituality. How many Pagans practice New Age Spirituality? Also, how many Pagans practice witchcraft?

[By New Age Spirituality, I mean a belief that spirits, energies and forces are all around us and that we can work with them toward various aims and so forth. Not sure if that is clear]

Basically, I'm just trying to find out how large of a role New Age Spirituality and Witchcraft play in the pagan community & feel free to use these terms as loosely as you understand them.

Morning Star
November 16th, 2004, 01:34 PM
Also, I would like to hear people's definitions of witchcraft and new age spirituality. (not paganism - that could go on forever! :) )

Ben Trismegistus
November 16th, 2004, 01:35 PM
Using your definition, I practice New Age spirituality (as well as witchcraft). But I hate the term New Age, because to me the term invokes hippies, hallucinogens, and Enya.

I prefer to think of it as a quantum physics approach to spirituality.

Ben Trismegistus
November 16th, 2004, 01:38 PM
Also, I would like to hear people's definitions of witchcraft and new age spirituality. (not paganism - that could go on forever! :) )
My definitions:

Witchcraft: a magical system involving thaumaturgy or "low magic", through things like herbs, incenses, gemstones, etc.

New Age Spirituality: a catch-all term for the type of people in the "Hari Krishna" sequence in the movie Hair. Also people who listen to the music of Enya and carry crystals.

-Ember
November 16th, 2004, 01:39 PM
There is a joke to the effect that the difference between a witch and a new ager is a decimal point (same product, $30.00 from a witch, $300.00 from a new ager.) While I have seen there to be a lot of truth to it in that there is a lot of overlapping interest, much of the base paradigm is quite different from more traditional witchcraft or traditional Wicca. Many other forms of Wicca do seem to incorporate new age mindsets and beliefs, and I suspect that is one of the roots between the gulf that often exists between many Wiccans and traditional Wiccans or Witchs.

Morning Star
November 16th, 2004, 01:53 PM
I do view New Age as kind of "fruity" - but it seems to be very popular amongst many serious pagans - so I am honestly interested in learning why.

However - I left outs for people that do some new age type stuff, but don't consider themselves to be "new agers" exactly. :)

Bronach Druid
November 16th, 2004, 03:02 PM
I am not sure where I would place myself in your poll.
I would have to say new age spirituality fits in with my beliefs and practices. I do not like the generalization that is often associated with the term. Maybe "born-again Spirituality" would work better! :) All kidding aside, to me most of what is considered "new age" actually is older then christianity. I think the term is supposed to mean rediscovering the old beliefs of spirituality in modern times. I don't know if that makes any sense, my brain is is being uncooperative today!
My definition of Witchcraft- the traditional skills practiced by a witch.

SacredWithin
November 16th, 2004, 05:40 PM
All I can say is that there is nothing new about New Age spirituality. From what I knew about it, it doesn't seem to have any sort of dogma at all which seems to give reign to a relaxed spirituality. Some people think it's Christianity with an emphasis on Angels. I've known New Agers to be very interested in mediumship and like Ben said, crystals. It's hard to put a finger on New Age, just like it's hard to put a finger on Paganism. There are too many factors.

As for Hare Krishna, that is a real and separate religion. There is a little friction between them and Hindus because the Hindus believe that the Hare Krishnas are basically Hindus and the Hare Krishnas want to be their own thing. (It's either that, or the wother way around).

Ben Trismegistus
November 16th, 2004, 05:45 PM
As for Hare Krishna, that is a real and separate religion. There is a little friction between them and Hindus because the Hindus believe that the Hare Krishnas are basically Hindus and the Hare Krishnas want to be their own thing. (It's either that, or the wother way around).
Oh I know. I just meant that scene from Hair, where the Hari Krishnas are singing and everyone is dropping acid in the park and basically having a love-in.

SacredWithin
November 16th, 2004, 05:49 PM
Oh, I knew what you meant. But others might not have known what you were talking about so I was clarifying.

WingedTigerChild
November 16th, 2004, 08:12 PM
I'm with SacredWithin, though I'm not sure exactly where I'd classify on your poll.

Pandoras
November 16th, 2004, 10:32 PM
I identify as a Pagan witch. By your definition, I might be New Age, but I don't think of myself that way and I don't like being called New Agey.

New Age seems spacey and flakey to me. I know a couple who are totally New Age - crystals, auras, acupuncutre, Reiki, Feng Shui, etc. - and they say things like "Greetings, fellow beings of light." And yes, they do listen to Enya.

I realize that there are New Age elements in Paganism and Witchcraft, but that's not really what I'm talking about. I don't know; it's hard to explain. I know it when I see it. I guess, in general, I don't use many Eastern elements in my practice (which are common in New Age).

Morning Star
November 16th, 2004, 10:36 PM
New Age stuff does seem flakey to me. But, I don't want to judge others within the pagan communties, until I understand them. New Age or Witch - it is still possible to share my Divinity.

elfmage
November 16th, 2004, 10:45 PM
I voted "I am a pagan and I practice Witchcraft & New Age Spirituality."

By your (Morning Star's) defintion, New Age pretty much describes half of my views of Witchcraft, that it is basically affecting the omnipresent energy to a particular end. The other half is of course that the Deity play a majoy part in this.

Ailinea
November 16th, 2004, 11:45 PM
I am a Pagan...practice witchcraft...and do some practices that some may consider to be New Age, but I wouldn't label it as such. I think I'm with Pandoras on this one. I've seen people who practice SO MUCH New Age that I call it "newage" (rhymes with "sewage"). Though in moderation, it's not bad.

bshore
November 16th, 2004, 11:47 PM
How's this for ya: I consider myself "New Age" but not Pagan.

BrigidMoon
November 16th, 2004, 11:49 PM
My definitions:

Witchcraft: a magical system involving thaumaturgy or "low magic", through things like herbs, incenses, gemstones, etc.

New Age Spirituality: a catch-all term for the type of people in the "Hari Krishna" sequence in the movie Hair. Also people who listen to the music of Enya and carry crystals.

LOL - on your definition of New Age Spirituality. Can we add yuppy jazz listeners to that or is that just New Age Yuppies? Sorry, I just found that quite humorous. :)

Lunamoth
November 17th, 2004, 12:34 AM
Now hang on a tick. I kinda like Enya. *blows raspberries*

When I think of New Age, I think of this couple that had a little shop back home where they sold crystals and incense and all that crap. They believed in "pyramid power" or something. But they also believed in the Biblical version of angels and were somewhat into Jesus. *shrug*

I had trouble picking a single option from the poll, though I don't mean to be critical. I think trying to define what everyone believes into singular poll choices is going to be hard, no matter what you're asking. I'm a pagan and I'm a witch, and by some extension, I also hold some beliefs that fall under your definition of New Age.

Edited because I can't spell tonight.

Celtic Solstice
November 17th, 2004, 01:08 AM
I have to confess that when anyone even attempts to apply the term "New Age" to me I cringe. I really do not like the term. Part of this is probably because I grew up with folks who considered the term derogatory. I mean, maybe back in the 60s folks thought it was cool, but when I was in high-school the word translated as "quack." So, I am uncomfortable with it to start with.

Discomfort aside… When I think of "New Age," I think of the so-called "Age of Aquarius," crystals, astrology, etc, but that is not what makes something "New Age" for me. Face it, there are a lot of religions which use things that New Agers use. Astrology long predates New Ager use of it, for instance. Being Animistic (attributing spirit-life to objects, animals, and persons) does not make a person New Age. They could be Shinto or belong to a similar Native American or African tradition.

What makes something "New Age" is how a practice is used or adopted. My impression is that New Agers are nice folks with good intentions and a lot of respect toward other religions who dip into other religions just deep enough to incorporate the most visible parts of the religions into their own and thus in effect do these religions a dis-service because their reputation usually only vaguely resembles the original. What makes a person New Age is that they incorporate other religions as if they mean whatever the New Ager says they do, and often their conclusions reflect incomplete or inaccurate understandings of other religions. If a religion does not say it, they will make it say it. (ie "Jesus was all about teaching reincarnation"). The result of a New Age effort is generally an invention that is not admitted as an invention - but rather attributed wrongly or inaccurately. The product might be all right, but the credit is not valid.

I realize this is not perhaps very flattering. I should point out that very often the New Ager’s message attributed to a given religion is often more ethical and/or humane than the actual message of the religion. It still ends up being wishfulness though.

Celtic Solstice

Iora Rua
November 17th, 2004, 10:04 AM
I'm pretty much with Celtic Solstic re: views on the New Age.

I agree, that the core ideas (most all of them) found running through the New Age movement, are not New at all. They've merely been repackaged and polished up for easy modern consumption. Do I find this to be a bad thing? No not necessarily, not if people take it for what it is....cliffnotes versions (and sometimes very skewed or questionable ones) of ancient and deep esoteric topics.

What disturbs me about the New Age books, speakers, ideas and etc....is that they feed this current generation's need for instant gratification. Many people are searching for something....New Age stuff is generally the first thing that they latch onto. It's instant "knowledge," titles and feeling good with virtually no investment of time, study or understanding. No effort. This, I hate.

We have friends who after reading a few fluffy books, & attending a couple of seminars and workshops now consider themselves to be "Masters" or some such rubbish, and 100% psychic. And Shamanism! Oy! Don't get me started on this. Very few people understand what it actually means to become a shaman as understood from olden times or from cultures who do still actually practice it...not this new "plastic" version of it!

Marketing also seems to be a big thing for the New Age. The almighty buck. Gadgets and doodads and all kinds of nifty "tools" and $12.95 books to help one quickly and painlessly become Master of his or her universe! ARGH!

Anyways....New Agers bug me. If the information is taken for what it is...fine, wonderful, great! Unfortunately, I see danger in it as well...giving people a false sense of Mastery, security and power...this is dangerous.

Sorry, got on a rant. :lol:

Regarding how I fit into your poll...well, I don't study New Age materials...only "ancient" or more comprehensive resources, and exhaustively so. I practice witchcraft, but have no pantheon nor practice Wicca (which incidently think is a gorgeous faith, just not for me). Neither am I a master of anything. :) So, I dunno where I fit into the poll.

Brightest of Blessings!! (Sorry, about the rant...this is a topic that really gets my shorts twisted into a knot..and quick!)

Iora

P.S. I too, like Enya! :lol: :D

MorningDove030202
November 17th, 2004, 10:18 AM
Ya, I probably am a tad new age, I do yoga, and I love "Conversations with God", and I consider myself a hippie witch as oposed to the ever popular Goth witch. However I'm drug free, so then that doesn't eactly fit me either. What I don't like about "new age" are the materialistic aspects, like the decimal point joke, and I'm too much of a skeptic to realy be a new age-er. I also feel that crystals are very much a magickal tool of witchcraft, watered down and make acceptable to the general public by the new age.

Anyway, New age to me seams to be a somewhat more socialy acceptable lable for people who realy are doing Pagan/Witchy things.

Dove

SacredWithin
November 17th, 2004, 10:21 AM
What makes something "New Age" is how a practice is used or adopted. My impression is that New Agers are nice folks with good intentions and a lot of respect toward other religions who dip into other religions just deep enough to incorporate the most visible parts of the religions into their own and thus in effect do these religions a dis-service because their reputation usually only vaguely resembles the original.

I kinda think of eclectic when I think New Agers. but...

What makes a person New Age is that they incorporate other religions as if they mean whatever the New Ager says they do, and often their conclusions reflect incomplete or inaccurate understandings of other religions. If a religion does not say it, they will make it say it. (ie "Jesus was all about teaching reincarnation"). The result of a New Age effort is generally an invention that is not admitted as an invention - but rather attributed wrongly or inaccurately. The product might be all right, but the credit is not valid.

...as you can see, New Agers... I um... haven't seen much of respecting what you take from and that's the difference between an Eclectic Pagan and a New ager

Pandoras
November 17th, 2004, 08:54 PM
What I don't like about "new age" are the materialistic aspects, like the decimal point joke, and I'm too much of a skeptic to realy be a new age-er.What's the decimal point joke?

Kadynas
November 17th, 2004, 09:29 PM
Discomfort aside… When I think of "New Age," I think of the so-called "Age of Aquarius," crystals, astrology, etc, but that is not what makes something "New Age" for me. Face it, there are a lot of religions which use things that New Agers use. Astrology long predates New Ager use of it, for instance. Being Animistic (attributing spirit-life to objects, animals, and persons) does not make a person New Age. They could be Shinto or belong to a similar Native American or African tradition.

My thoughts as well... How all this other stuff got grouped under the heading of "New Age" is beyond me... To me it means "Age of Aquarius", which isn't quite here yet! While some of the things under the "New Age" category /could/ be considered Aquarian in nature, Aquarius has more to do with a sort of universal enlightenment, than all this feel-good, white-light stuff in the rack at Barnes & Noble. :lol:

SacredWithin
November 18th, 2004, 04:06 PM
While some of the things under the "New Age" category /could/ be considered Aquarian in nature, Aquarius has more to do with a sort of universal enlightenment, than all this feel-good, white-light stuff in the rack at Barnes & Noble. :lol:

I agree. And someone mentioned something about them being more skeptical than a New Ager... it's debateable. So far, it seems the people here think that New Agers have this airy/dreamy aura to them. I think it's true in some cases. But I don't think it's because of the religion. Certain people are simply attracted to certain things. And with the crazy things leaders of religions have done, can you blame people?

Morning Star
November 18th, 2004, 05:08 PM
<-- I love Enya, Deep Forest & Enigma, but don't view them as being New Age. :) Of course, I continue to maintain that Garth Brooks isn't country...so, I might be full of it. :) who knows?

Faeawyn
November 18th, 2004, 05:21 PM
To me, a New Ager is someone interested in their own personal spiritual enlightenment and consciousness raising, and covers a range of beliefs from spiritualism and reincarnation, along with holistic approaches to health and ecology.

I guess by that definition, I'm a New Age Witch :)....As always, everyone is entitled to their own opinion and definition...but I, personally, wouldn't dream of "insulting" those who may consider themselves to be "New Age"

Morning Star
November 18th, 2004, 05:48 PM
I guess by that definition, I'm a New Age Witch :)....As always, everyone is entitled to their own opinion and definition...but I, personally, wouldn't dream of "insulting" those who may consider themselves to be "New Age"

I think there is a well-founded stereotype of New Agers that is frowned upon , however, at the same time, I suppose if we were all honest, everyone probably has a few New Age practices. This is just the nature of the New Age Spirituality, which has taken ideas and practices from Hindu, Buddhist, Taoist, Agnostic-Spiritualist, Kabbalahist and many more traditions. However, when I think of New Age...it isn't typically a good thought - I suppose that is because I think of fortune-tellers and people selling cheap crystals, candles and incense under the pretense that they have some magical power.

Faeawyn
November 18th, 2004, 06:03 PM
when I think of New Age...it isn't typically a good thought - I suppose that is because I think of fortune-tellers and people selling cheap crystals, candles and incense under the pretense that they have some magical power.
Ironically....thats the same way most non-pagans describe pagans :whatgives:

Morning Star
November 18th, 2004, 06:06 PM
Ironically....thats the same way most non-pagans describe pagans :whatgives:

hmm you know. That's true. In fact, that is exactly how I pictured pagans before I knew anything about them.

I never stopped to realize that I had merely transfered the idea from one sterotype to another... hmmm. I don't like that at all. :( Thanks for pointing that out.

Faeawyn
November 18th, 2004, 06:13 PM
hmm you know. That's true. In fact, that is exactly how I pictured pagans before I knew anything about them.

I never stopped to realize that I had merely transfered the idea from one sterotype to another... hmmm. I don't like that at all. :( Thanks for pointing that out.
:hugz:...thats what I'm here for...to dole out guilt :hehehe: My work here is done :D

Iora Rua
November 18th, 2004, 07:48 PM
Excellent point, definite food for thought. Thank you!

Brightest blessings!

Iora

Morning Star
November 18th, 2004, 10:21 PM
I'm typically quite thankful when someone points out that a belief/sterotype of mine is a bit hypocritcal/ignorant etc. That is of course, when that is in fact the case. Otherwise I just get really pissed off. :) I really dislike it when I carry around needless negative opinions.

Faeawyn
November 18th, 2004, 10:34 PM
I'm typically quite thankful when someone points out that a belief/sterotype of mine is a bit hypocritcal/ignorant etc. That is of course, when that is in fact the case. Otherwise I just get really pissed off. :) I really dislike it when I carry around needless negative opinions.
I feel the same way. My biggest lesson that I struggle with in this life is to be non-judgmental. I try so hard...but I have such a long way to go. MysticWicks has taught me that I should stop jumping to conclusions and be more accepting of differences. I still struggle with it in every day life tho. I want to put people in neat little boxes of my own construct....and they just dont fit. :whatgives:

Morning Star
November 18th, 2004, 10:39 PM
I feel the same way. My biggest lesson that I struggle with in this life is to be non-judgmental. I try so hard...but I have such a long way to go. MysticWicks has taught me that I should stop jumping to conclusions and be more accepting of differences. I still struggle with it in every day life tho. I want to put people in neat little boxes of my own construct....and they just dont fit. :whatgives:

There are many topic on which I am extremely judgmental, but I believe passionately that I am in the right. I don't even mind offending people when it comes to that - but what I dislike is when I discover that I'm hoping negative opinions or sterotypes out of ignorance or stupidty. I'm always glad to have it pointed out when that is the case. That works both ways I suppose - I'm quite tolerant of people intolerance of me if they have good reason, but get furious if its predicated on ignorance or stupidity.

But anyway - I appreciated your observation. It was helpful.

Luminessence
November 18th, 2004, 11:32 PM
Hmm... I chose "I focus energy but don't consider my rituals to be witchcraft," but it's equally true that I meditate and center myself but do not consider myself to be New Age.

ap Dafydd
November 19th, 2004, 08:58 AM
I'm not really in any of the categories.

The vast majority of what goes under the "New Age" umbrella comes from the Garb Age (or possibly the Sew Age).

Gwyn eich byd

Ffred (determinedly Old Age)

arctic splash
November 19th, 2004, 09:36 AM
I don't think New Age can be equated with a belief in spirits, energies, and forces all around us. Certainly those things are *very* Native American, and as far as I'm concerned, Native American spirituality and New Age just do not mix (and, when they do, it tends to be really watered down and generally insulting to the indigenous folks). That might be a good definition of animism, but I think New Age is a bit more complicated.

A lot of the associations that come to mind when I think about New Age are in Emerald Rose's fabulous song Pagan Girl.

And Annie was a New Age mystic
Dolphins, angels, crystals, trees
But her idea of wild good time
Was channeling from the Pleiades

(Note: I always misheard the lyric as 'dolphins, angels, crystals, dreams', and I actually think it's better that way!)

If I wanted to be critical of New Age, I'd define it as a conglomeration, fluff-isation, and watering down of the world's spiritual/mystical/occult traditions, with an emphasis on the evolution of the human soul. And I guess the stereotypes that comes to mind are the woman who tries to always maintain a peaceful composure -- does yoga, meditates, talks constantly about being centred.... And the hippie man who's like, 'Whoa, dude, you like have such an aura around you. I can totally feel your energy and stuff!'

Now another more positive stereotype. From my limited experience with the New Age, I'd say that these people can be really fascinating. They tend to have a lot of interesting personal experiences (which is maybe what drew them to New Age in the first place). They *are* (or at worst, pretend to be ;)) very in tune with the energies around them, and are (or try to be) in tune with themselves. They read all these things in the New Age books, and put them to practise in their own lives. You know what? For a lot of people, it works. For some of them, these experiences bring them deeper and into new realms...

As far as I know, the term 'New Age' comes from the belief that, with the Age of Pisces ending, and the Age of Aquarius beginning, humans are about to enter a new and more enlightened stage of consciousness. The current chakras will move down into the earth and those currently above the head will enter it... I personally don't believe this, at least not how the New Age says it is happening (I don't discount it, either), so I wouldn't call myself New Age. Also, I just don't like the term, and what I associate with it! (Sometimes I think all the talk about ascended masters, beings of light, Great White Brotherhood, etc. sounds too much like a cult for comfort! But yeah, even though I don't think of myself as New Age, I still think these are cool concepts).

I'm interested in spiritual bodies, Atlantis, crystals, chakras, astrology, and other things that are so often considered New Age. I haven't done yoga but I'm interested in qigong. I think the New Age is definitely based on many things that are worthwhile to study, but personally, I'd look deeper than the New Age books for real spiritual development.

Someone asked: why are so many people here into New Age stuff? One answer might be that everything that's New Age, or most of it, actually has roots much older and deeper than New Age. I don't see why crystals have become such a New Age thing... and why, if I carry a crystal with me, I'm automatically New Age... I'm not. Crystals truly are amazing things. (I'd say that they're amazing beings, since I am an animist, but I fear that will have me sounding *very* New Age right now.) ;)

What makes something "New Age" is how a practice is used or adopted. My impression is that New Agers are nice folks with good intentions and a lot of respect toward other religions who dip into other religions just deep enough to incorporate the most visible parts of the religions into their own and thus in effect do these religions a dis-service because their reputation usually only vaguely resembles the original.

I think this is a good definition. It might be fair to say that New Age is an industry, and the New Age is basically whatever sells in that context.

Temptation
November 21st, 2004, 06:16 PM
I don't know where I would fit in your poll, so I chose still exploring my options.

I just wanted to say that the term New Age applies to people who are, in one way
or another, exploring new ways of interpreting the physical and spiritual worlds around them.
Very often people turn to New Age philosophies because they're searching for their path and this particular movement is comprised of a variety of ideologies, borrowed from a myriad of religions. So to me it is a doorway into the spiritual experience. People walk thru the New Age doors and are either content with the easy, fluffy feeling they encounter or they focus on one of the new concepts they happen to stumble upon and study it in depth. Many people I know, have found their true path by walking the New Age road first.

As for Witchcraft, to me it's a way of life. It runs in the family, it's what I was raised with, it's as normal as breathing for me. The ability to use magic is natural in all of us, the issue is not whether or not you have the gift (we all have it), it's about learning how to use it. As with most things, some people will be better at it than others. My dear Grandma always said "We all know how to talk, some are just louder than others." ;)

AlAskendir
November 21st, 2004, 06:36 PM
I am pagan, but I do not practice any "New Age" spirituality. How many Pagans practice New Age Spirituality? Also, how many Pagans practice witchcraft?

[By New Age Spirituality, I mean a belief that spirits, energies and forces are all around us and that we can work with them toward various aims and so forth. Not sure if that is clear]

Basically, I'm just trying to find out how large of a role New Age Spirituality and Witchcraft play in the pagan community & feel free to use these terms as loosely as you understand them.

For me, New Age Spirituality means that I believe in an Astrological Influence, not only on people and animals, and companies and nations, but on the entire planet; and that I believe that the planet is in transition from the influence of Pisces to the Influence of Aquarius, and that this influence has a direct effect on how the people on the planet not only do their 'normal' business and lives, but in particular how they seek, find, learn, teach, and develope in metaphysical knowledges, feelings, and wisdoms. I call it the 'time of revealing' - - - because I also believe that several ages ago there was a 'time of occulting' in which vast intensities of spiritual, magickal, and technological wisdom were removed from popular consciousness and hidden.

Witchcraft to me is when magick is used purposefully in the service of the Sacred Feminine Power(s), preferrably on a full or dark moon, or on one or another of the 8 seasonal sabbats. For me it includes spellwork, rites, affirmations, & new thought works.

Morning Star
November 21st, 2004, 06:54 PM
For me, most of my practices involve increased awareness, instinct, intuition - taking time out of my day for silence and meditation or maybe reflection on the aspects of the gods. But for me, my "religion" serves as a motivation to adore and celebrate life (which I believe is the Divine).

Gede
November 22nd, 2004, 04:51 AM
MM~

By that logic Witchcraft could be considered synonymous with the classical portrayal of a haggard old woman brewing noxious potions in a massive cauldron; your basic black arts. You've stereotyped the New Age phenomenon through a minority that has decided to go that way. Then again I could typify all Witches as fluffy, white-lighting tree-huggers, but I'd be wrong wouldn't I, considering the majority of Witches are serious and devout practitioners of their unique style. The New Age is simply a catch-all phrase used to define a group of spiritual traditions and techniques that initially centred on the envisioned arrival of the Age of Aquarius which traditionally signalled greater awareness of the disharmony occurring in the world and a counterculture who would uprise in peace and equity to overshadow its dominance. The New Age has acquired a distasteful superficiality, then again the word Witch is also heavily encumbered. Words are words and we need to be aware and sensitive to their social and political connotations when abusing their definitions.

Namaste, Gede...

DamienDeville
November 25th, 2004, 09:44 AM
I didnt vote,because I am:
1)Pagan/Theistic Satanist.
2) I believe in the use of witchcraft at times but I am not a follower of any one path or trad.
3)I would consider myself New Age'r by your term [By New Age Spirituality, I mean a belief that spirits, energies and forces are all around us and that we can work with them toward various aims and so forth.]but not by the other meanings.

arctic splash
November 25th, 2004, 11:38 AM
[color=purple][size=3] For me, New Age Spirituality means that I believe in an Astrological Influence, not only on people and animals, and companies and nations, but on the entire planet; and that I believe that the planet is in transition from the influence of Pisces to the Influence of Aquarius, and that this influence has a direct effect on how the people on the planet not only do their 'normal' business and lives, but in particular how they seek, find, learn, teach, and develope in metaphysical knowledges, feelings, and wisdoms.

You have a very philosophical way of expressing yourself here. :)

I think that's the most literal definition of New Age...

OMmomma
November 27th, 2004, 05:45 PM
Ask a hundred pagans what New Age means, and you'll get a hundred answers. Some people will define New Age beliefs, by the anecdotal pronouncements of so-called believers. Just like some of us define Christianity by the behavior of so-called Christians. This is what I call 'eye-ball' evidence. Thinking you know what something is, or represents, strictly on hear-say. That is where the negative, or dismissive, attitudes of many pagans come from. That's not to say, many so-called believers don't deserve the scathing judgements they receive, it's just that hear-say is so prevalent, that one hardly knows where it begins and where it ends.

I considered myself merely a mystic and amature occultist, in the eighties, when I first came across the first wave of so-called, New Age literature and believers. Literally, it was the 'old world' wisdom meets and co-exists with modern sensibilities, side-stepping the age of religion, spirituality unencumbered by dogma. It was mostly parapsycholgy enthusiasts, and westerized Hindus, attempting to meld a western spiritual sense, with the 'Unexplained' and ancient Vedic wisdom. I mean, there was everything from pyramid power, crystal energy, UFO's, Urantians, to "Were you an Alien, in your past life?!" Anyway, plenty to mock, for us cynics, and plenty of diversity, that allowed for endless disagreements. No wonder, there is no clear definition of New Age.

That said, I do consider myself a mystic, a qabalist, a spiritualist, a pagan, a goddess worshipper, an esoteric astrologer, a student of witchcraft, a yogini, a human.
And THAT, is what I consider New Age. I have taken an eclectic approach to practicing my truth. I have brought the ancient to the modern, the East to the West, in my beliefs, and more importantly in my lifestyle. I am eccentric, outspoken, free-spirited, deeply devotional, and open-minded. I am a solitary practitioner, who loves Christmas shopping crowds and rock concerts. I am not interested in consistancy, only in truth, kindness, and a good laugh.

Peace :broomride

Ron
November 27th, 2004, 08:14 PM
According to your defintion of New Ageism, I am a practioner thereof. But I refuse to identify with such a term. The tradtion I am well a part of is hardly "new" age. I'm just a grump old man that refuses to be labeled such a word. I just don't like it. I perfer Ben's: "I prefer to think of it as a quantum physics approach to spirituality."... :)

Peace an' Amour

Calen
January 12th, 2005, 10:13 PM
Using your definition, I practice New Age spirituality (as well as witchcraft). But I hate the term New Age, because to me the term invokes hippies, hallucinogens, and Enya.

I prefer to think of it as a quantum physics approach to spirituality.

That's me as well, although I like Enya. I would not particularly like to be referred to as New Age, but that's more because of the stereotype than the practices.

Teresa
January 13th, 2005, 01:22 AM
I listen to Loreena McKennitt and Enya.I believe in the energies and spirits around us.I sometimes carry a stone or crystal.I was born in the 60s but I am not a Hippy.I never held the peace,love, Bobby Sherman attitude nor did I do drugs and practice free love.I consider myself a Neo Pagan Witch and Healer.The energy aspect and respect for nature was taught to me from an early age as I am a decendant of the Cherokee tribe.My grandparents who were full blooded raised me from an early age.I am of mixed heritage though.I had never considered my self" New Age". Many of those things were around long before then in other cultures!When I think of that I see people at air ports doing flakey things.In my opinion I am fairly normal as I do not stand out in a crowd.

Haerfest Leah
January 13th, 2005, 11:27 AM
To me, a New Ager is someone interested in their own personal spiritual enlightenment and consciousness raising, and covers a range of beliefs from spiritualism and reincarnation, along with holistic approaches to health and ecology.

My thoughts too. I am Pagan, do witchcraft and new age spirituality. But I hate the words "new age" since theres nothing new about it IMO. I love my yoga, meditation, candles, crystals, aromatherapy, spirits in my home and beginner psyshic abilities. :)

MorningDove030202
January 13th, 2005, 02:16 PM
What I don't like about the so called "New Age Movement" are the people trying to sell you junk that doesn't work that on 500% mark up from retail price. I used to get the New Age Journal, and the adds in it drive me crazy. I like "Crunchy" magazine better, you know environmental, like Organic Style, Mothering, stuff like that. I'm more of a Cruncy Wiccan, than a New Age Wiccan.

Dove

butterflydreams
January 13th, 2005, 06:16 PM
Well I guess I'm closest to a pagan and witch who practices new age spirituality. I didn't know what else to choose. I don't identify as a New ager. My beliefs started out many years ago with learning about Astrology and Numerologyand crystals and I still work with all of that now. I also believe that the Divine is all around us (not my full beliefs on that subject, however. There's more to it.) A few years ago I was sort of feeling like I might be a New Ager for a very brief time because I had this everything's beautiful, love all attitude. Then I realized that didn't sit very well for me because instead of seeing it as enlightenment as a lot of new agers do, I saw it as repression of anything that could be considered bad. I definitely do want to grow spiritually and raise my conciousness but I'm human and have human emotions. I don't want to sit in a happy bubble all the time because things would just get boring for me. I also have no interest in reading the channelings of the Ascended Masters, nor do I want to try and become one. The thought of aliens coming from other planets to show us the way, really just creeps me out. Truthfully I just considered meditiation, crystals, and astrology part of the tools available from nature and the earth and just a part of my practicing Witchcraft, just like herbs and moon cycles, etc... Though I really didn't give the title of Witchcraft to what I was doing for a while either.

Hope I didn't offend anyone with my views of New Age. I know not all are hippie types but that was just my personal experience of it.

Marishae
January 13th, 2005, 09:58 PM
Wow... I'm almost unsure what to say now... I'm really saddened by this thread and all the "hatred" and "disgust" towards New Age... :( *scratches head* :( I thought this community was more accepting of things... now... I'm not so sure... and I'm not so sure I belong here anymore... :heartbrea this really is disturbing to me... :heartbrea I know everyone is entitled to their opinion and everything... it's just... well... I do consider myself to be New Age... but, I don't associate it with anything to do with the 60's or anything "fluffy" or bogus... and I don't want to be around people who aren't going to like me because they have a pre-conceived notion about how I am based on their views of "New Agers"... :awwman: I started on my path back in the late 80's/early 90's... And yeah, I started with the New Age shops that sold crystals, incense, oils, candles, tarot cards, books, and music... I guess that makes me a bad person and not worthy because I'm not "real" because I don't study from the ancient texts... =( :ggrief: Guess I'll just... go back to my closet now... :wah:

Teresa
January 13th, 2005, 10:28 PM
I do consider myself to be New Age... but, I don't associate it with anything to do with the 60's or anything "fluffy" or bogus... and I don't want to be around people who aren't going to like me because they have a pre-conceived notion about how I am based on their views of "New Agers"... :awwman: I started on my path back in the late 80's/early 90's... And yeah, I started with the New Age shops that sold crystals, incense, oils, candles, tarot cards, books, and music... I guess that makes me a bad person and not worthy because I'm not "real" because I don't study from the ancient texts... =( :ggrief: Guess I'll just... go back to my closet now... :wah:
I think the issue is more of what people's ideas are of what the TERM "New Age"means.Some people see hippies dropping acid and eating strange mushrooms,others see people at air ports passing out daisys and asking for money.How the term got those conitations I for one would like to know.There is nothing wrong with You considering Yourself to be New Age and if I were You I certainly would be proud of who I am and edcuate people as to what it is.Dispell the myths of ignorance!

Marishae
January 13th, 2005, 10:44 PM
I think the issue is more of what people's ideas are of what the TERM "New Age"means.Some people see hippies dropping acid and eating strange mushrooms,others see people at air ports passing out daisys and asking for money.How the term got those conitations I for one would like to know.There is nothing wrong with You considering Yourself to be New Age and if I were You I certainly would be proud of who I am and edcuate people as to what it is.Dispell the myths of ignorance!
Thank you, Shalaye... I guess I am just taking it personal... I have a slight problem with self esteem and have enough problems with people not seeming to like me without having to feel like a place I really enjoyed coming to has everyone not liking me because I consider myself New Age... =(

I consider New Age a spirituality... a path to enlightenment about yourself and the universe... utilizing tools such as crystals, candles, incense, oils, divination, music, meditation, etc... When I see the term New Age, it doesn't have any bad conotations to me... plus... around certain people, it's safer to call yourself New Age than Pagan... *shrug* I just never saw anything wrong with New Age... I always thought it was a good thing...

I just want to be accepted I guess... and now I'm afraid I won't be... =( If I'm wrong and took this thing totally the wrong way, please let me know...

Teresa
January 13th, 2005, 11:23 PM
Thank you, Shalaye... I guess I am just taking it personal... I have a slight problem with self esteem and have enough problems with people not seeming to like me without having to feel like a place I really enjoyed coming to has everyone not liking me because I consider myself New Age... =(

I consider New Age a spirituality... a path to enlightenment about yourself and the universe... utilizing tools such as crystals, candles, incense, oils, divination, music, meditation, etc... When I see the term New Age, it doesn't have any bad conotations to me... plus... around certain people, it's safer to call yourself New Age than Pagan... *shrug* I just never saw anything wrong with New Age... I always thought it was a good thing...

I just want to be accepted I guess... and now I'm afraid I won't be... =( If I'm wrong and took this thing totally the wrong way, please let me know...
I would not take it personal.Be Yourself.Who You are inside will shine thru no matter what descriptives You use to associate Yourself with.I personally do not think anyone will not like You or even hate You because You consider Yourself "New Age".Your personality will still show thru.You can take my advice with a grain of salt because I am a person that doesn't care what people think of me nor if they like me as long as I am true to myself and can sleep at night with the choices I make.Respect of diversity among one another is one of the greater gifts of Life!

Marishae
January 13th, 2005, 11:45 PM
I personally do not think anyone will not like You or even hate You because You consider Yourself "New Age".Your personality will still show thru.
I hope you're right, Shalaye. Thank you! :hugz: *Big hugs* :hugz:

*singing proud* I'm a New Ager!!!! Stuff it if ya don't like it! lol I wear crystals, I burn incense and candles, I don't do drugs, never have, never will, I have bookshelves full of "New Age" books that I enjoy reading, I have a huge collection of New Age music that I love, heck, I even run my own New Age/Instrumental Internet Radio Station! I love the Moon!!! I love Nature! (except maybe the bugs... lol) I'm not a hippy. I don't hang out at airports, much less do the Hare Krishna thing... Nor do I go around saying "Wow dude, your aura is just emanating Love"... No, stuff in "New Age" may not be new... but... I think the term "New Age" just signifies that this is a New Age of enlightenment... and that's just what they are using nowadays to reflect the spiritually enlightened path people have started taking...

Let's get rid of the stereotypes and just take it for what it is... another path... not right for everyone... not wrong... just another path... just another method of relating... understanding... =)

butterflydreams
January 14th, 2005, 03:39 AM
Marishae, my post dealt with the experiences that I have had with some people that call themselves New Age and the perconceptions that I formed because of it. I have ran into many people that were way too into the drugs it the 60's and 70's and followed the guru's back to India and told very wild stories that my mind couldn't even comprehend. I have also met a lot of people (and this probably could happen with any faith) who are so concerned with becoming enlightened so they can "ascend" that they have completely broke down when they have human feelings. One example I saw is One person who I really care for who just was in a bad situation and was reasonably angry about it. The situation went from bad to worse when on top of everything she was going through, she hated herself because she felt the anger. She didn't think she should feel such feelings if she was to be "enlightened". That kind of thing became the norm with some of the New age folk that I've had dealings with. I'm definitely not saying that every New Age person is like that. I'm aware I shouldn't really make total generalizations like that. It's just that that's what I experienced and why I felt that path is not right for me personally. As a side note, I do talk with a few people online who consider themselves to be New Age and though I don't agree with everything, I respect that they are following what makes them happy and would definitely call them friends.

If it is what works for you, you have every reason to celebrate being a New Ager! Shalaye is definitely right in saying that no one is going to hate you because of calling yourself a New Ager. Your personality does shine through in the few posts that I have read from you on the boards. Besides that I, personally, have my own insecurities that make me worry about whether people will accept for who and what I am. I didn't intend to come off as being judgemental or hateful.

I'm truly sorry if anything I said hurt you.

mothwench
January 14th, 2005, 07:30 AM
I have to confess that when anyone even attempts to apply the term "New Age" to me I cringe. I really do not like the term. Part of this is probably because I grew up with folks who considered the term derogatory. I mean, maybe back in the 60s folks thought it was cool, but when I was in high-school the word translated as "quack." So, I am uncomfortable with it to start with.

What makes something "New Age" is how a practice is used or adopted. My impression is that New Agers are nice folks with good intentions and a lot of respect toward other religions who dip into other religions just deep enough to incorporate the most visible parts of the religions into their own and thus in effect do these religions a dis-service because their reputation usually only vaguely resembles the original. What makes a person New Age is that they incorporate other religions as if they mean whatever the New Ager says they do, and often their conclusions reflect incomplete or inaccurate understandings of other religions. If a religion does not say it, they will make it say it. (ie "Jesus was all about teaching reincarnation"). The result of a New Age effort is generally an invention that is not admitted as an invention - but rather attributed wrongly or inaccurately. The product might be all right, but the credit is not valid.

I realize this is not perhaps very flattering. I should point out that very often the New Ager’s message attributed to a given religion is often more ethical and/or humane than the actual message of the religion. It still ends up being wishfulness though.

Celtic Solstice

thank you. i was thinking WTF about most of the other descriptions of new age so far. my upper lip was halfway up my nostril, i swear.

that aside, i have a question. wasn't the term new age coined in the 80s? (this is just a wild assumption of mine, correct me if i'm wrong.) i just have to wonder about the reference to 60's & 70's lifestyles having to do with 80's new age is all. on the other hand, i've only seen hair once and i think i fell asleep halfway through. maybe i'm missing something there.

Teresa
January 14th, 2005, 10:35 AM

I believe that it has something to do with our human nature that we do tend to transfer an idea from one sterotype to the next.It is our ignorance of the culture in most cases.Sometimes it is the one person who claimed to be that,whom we had a shocking dealing with.(poor choice of wording)

Dark Phoenix
January 14th, 2005, 10:22 PM
I voted Pagan and Witch even though new age spirituality overlaps with Paganism they can be to flakey and all white light for me but hey if it works for you go for it.

nighstar
January 14th, 2005, 10:28 PM
hmmm.... i'm a pagan that doesn't practice witchcraft and doesn't consider her spirituality New Age...... i'll be starting my first yoga class tuesday, though. :crylaugh:
i'm taking it for relaxation/stretching/stress relief purposes more than anything else, though, and out of curiosity. let's hope that curiosity didn't really kill the cat. :lol:

Lady Jade
January 15th, 2005, 12:11 AM
After reading what all was posted, I forget what I voted, lol...witch, pagan, and so called new age", whatever that option was.

If believing that all beliefs are equally valid is New Age, then that's what I am. I have walked many paths each offering its individual truth to me, each new understanding brings a different dimension to what I am becoming. I mesh it altogether in ritual, meditation, daily life, holidays, full moons, everywhere.

OMmomma
January 20th, 2005, 02:55 PM
After reading all the posts here, I guess it's clear there is no one definition of New-Age. Some say there's nothing new about some of the spiritual practices, divinations, magics, that we New Age pagans ascribe to. Let me ask you this though: What other time in history has an individual been able to include such diverse and eclectic spiritual practices in one life time??

Until the Earth became as small as it is, in this New Age, it would have been logistically impossible for one person to accomodate more than just a couple spiritual traditions, at most. Technology of transportation and communication has evolved to the point where all cultures, myths, languages, religions, philosophies, and spiritual traditions can be explored. With that kind of personal exposure to wisdom and knowledge from throughout history, there's a good chance that no matter how authentic you want your chosen path to be, your sensibilities and common sense are colored by all you are exposed to. And that includes the idea that you are entitled to choose your own path, literally, and that you are entitled to pursue it, as well... Definitly not a freedom in any other age, regardless of how openminded you might be... all cultural traditions have historically been quite protective of their 'Truth', for reasons of security and civil peace.

So I guess I equate pan-eclectic (New word?) with New-Age... regardless of whether the propaganda agrees with me or not. Time will iron this one out...:smash:

wakywitch
January 31st, 2005, 06:55 PM
New Age in the traditional sense could also mean one interested in
Reiki, Yoga and Meditation.
I am wiccan. I meditate and am interested in Reiki and Yoga.
Also like ghosts.

Protagonist
January 31st, 2005, 07:32 PM
I am pagan. As a child, some of my friends got me involved in some new age practices, but my interest kind of waned. I doubt I could define new age, but I've been told that what we were doing as youngsters was, in fact, new age. I'm referring to reiki and something called kinesthesiology. I think the reason I can't get into new age practices these days is just that: they're practices, and I'm more of the inactive sort.

The person who taught me a lot of these things also spoke often about the "Age of Aquarius" and how the Earth was entering some wondrous new paradigm. That also probably played some role in my rejection of the practices myself. I had too many issues with the "new paradigm" idea. Why would the earth be entering a new paradigm, exactly? What suggests this is the case? If this were true, wouldn't things at least appear to be getting better? I have difficulty accepting that our destiny is in some new, beautiful order, when no one really understands this one yet. I was assured that the "Age of Aquarius" would be more advanced spiritually than the current age... if we can't handle our relatively un-spiritually advanced age, how can we be expected to handle a new one?

I've experimented with witchcraft in the past, most of it pretty awkward and mechanical. I was Wiccan for about a week, and part of the reason I gave that up was that I was uncomfortable mixing religion and magick. Magick, honestly, seems mundane compared to the Divine, and I didn't like the way some books advocated what amounted to ordering the Gods around. Most of my experience with non-Wiccan magick wasn't too terrible. I tried to perform a Greek tablet curse, but it was bloody difficult. The results were... interesting, but they could be attributed to the nocebo effect, I suppose. I enjoy researching magick, though. It is, after all, quite fascinating.

I have a gaggle of friends who keep volleying curses and love spells back and forth - I don't know if any of that actually worked, but they talked about it enough. I might experiment with other spells in the future.

On a side note, I've got a major thing for komboloi, and I've heard them called new age. I personally don't see it that way, however. When I sell a strand of komboloi, I don't promise folks that it is charged with mystical energy, or is some kind of protective charm - I just say that, while I'm not sure why, playing with the komboloi makes some folks feel less stressed.

Morning Star
February 3rd, 2005, 01:33 AM
Also like ghosts.

You like ghosts? How so?

RubyRose
February 3rd, 2005, 02:12 AM
Well I've never really thought of my practice as new age. As far as I'm concerned I'm pagan, though I do listen to Enya and carry crystals with me when I feel the desire to. <shrugs> so I guess by some people's definitions I could be more new agey than I am Pagan.

Psyche Ague
February 15th, 2005, 03:52 AM
I am a Pagan and I consider myself New Age just because I love hippies, hallucinogens, AND Enya. ;)

No, it's not just that. I am fully New Age, I'd think. I love yoga and peace and love and pilates and all those other "groovy" things.

I work with energy, both light and dark.

cheddarsox
February 15th, 2005, 03:24 PM
If working energy= New age, I guess you'd have to count me in. I don't believe in the teachings that we are in a "New AGe" etc, etc. But I guess some of my practices fall into what folks here are calling New Age. They just seem sort of spiritually generic to me, if that makes any sense.

I think that throughout history humans use the same sort of paraphenalia in their practice, there isn't really anything new about it. Incense, candles, meditation, incantations, altars, chanting, good luck charms, symbols, etc to me are part of almost any religion I can think of, new or old.

I like all that stuff, it's fun.

cheddar

pathfinder
February 22nd, 2005, 11:26 AM
I firmly believe that a whole lot of "new age" is just "old age" wisdom followed again. Lables, I think, are unapplicable when trying to define a pagan. Each person has his or her own view and way of doing things that is right for him or her at that moment in his or her life and spiritual path. I enjoy yoga and meditation, I center myself, but I do not concider that new age because people have been doing that same thing for millinea. I focus my energy toward a certain outcome on rare occasions, however I do not see myslef as a witch, and I do not practice witchcraft.

Karma Chameleon
June 20th, 2005, 10:05 PM
Hmm, not sure how to answer that poll. I am Pagan, but I am not New Age. I do practice what I would call witchcraft though I am not Wiccan.