PDA

View Full Version : Silly question

Morag Elasaid Ni Dhomhnaill
November 17th, 2004, 06:09 PM
I was just thinking about this and had to ask. Sorry if it's a bit silly. I always hear/see the Poetic Edda recommended. I'm assuming since it's specifically labeled the Poetic Edda that there is also a Prose Edda. Is this correct? :huh:

banondraig
November 17th, 2004, 06:40 PM
yes.

November 18th, 2004, 04:45 PM
Then how come I never see it referenced? :huh:

banondraig
November 18th, 2004, 05:04 PM
i don't know, that's weird, but it's out there somewhere. i'll see if i can find a link.

banondraig
November 18th, 2004, 05:10 PM
ok, this was the closest i could find on amazon.com. the two works are also known as the elder edda and the younger edda, since one is considerably older than the other. i *think* the poetic edda is older, don't quote me on that though.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0520012321/qid=/sr=/ref=cm_lm_asin/102-6153041-5777711?v=glance

CzechWoods
November 18th, 2004, 05:40 PM
ok, this was the closest i could find on amazon.com. the two works are also known as the elder edda and the younger edda, since one is considerably older than the other. i *think* the poetic edda is older, don't quote me on that though.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0520012321/qid=/sr=/ref=cm_lm_asin/102-6153041-5777711?v=glance

HA!

found you gingers playing outside

you thought you could escape the playthings _tsk_

no way !

November 18th, 2004, 05:54 PM
Great...now he's stalking us. :eyez: Quick, make your escape banon, I'll cover you.

CzechWoods
November 18th, 2004, 06:09 PM
stalking is such a hard word. i am just being a nice :halohead:

banondraig
November 18th, 2004, 07:03 PM
Great...now he's stalking us. :eyez: Quick, make your escape banon, I'll cover you.

ok. buddy set? :rotfl:

banondraig
November 18th, 2004, 07:16 PM
stalking is such a hard word. i am just being a nice :halohead:

it's ok. lately we seem to be taking over threads which the others have posted in.

(run, Morag!)

Rick
November 18th, 2004, 10:10 PM
I was just thinking about this and had to ask. Sorry if it's a bit silly. I always hear/see the Poetic Edda recommended. I'm assuming since it's specifically labeled the Poetic Edda that there is also a Prose Edda. Is this correct? :huh:
The Poetic (Elder) Edda comes from about the oldest known source material re: the Northern Gods & Heroes. The Prose (Younger) Edda borrows primarily from the Poetic Edda; it was compiled by Catholic monks, and credited to Snorri. It's stories were sorta made to be 'politically correct' in the eyes of the church (like that thing about Odin being a historical Aryan king). Probably the biggest reason you rarely see it referenced is that there are better works that are closer to the original sources.

November 20th, 2004, 09:27 AM
The Poetic (Elder) Edda comes from about the oldest known source material re: the Northern Gods & Heroes. The Prose (Younger) Edda borrows primarily from the Poetic Edda; it was compiled by Catholic monks, and credited to Snorri. It's stories were sorta made to be 'politically correct' in the eyes of the church (like that thing about Odin being a historical Aryan king). Probably the biggest reason you rarely see it referenced is that there are better works that are closer to the original sources.

Thanks Rick! That's exactly the info I was looking for. :abbed: