PDA

View Full Version : feasts and deities

Avena
September 6th, 2001, 11:10 AM
Hi all,

I'm new to this board (as u can see) and recently finished reading the loooooong "Who is your Patron" thread. Now I've a question:
Some of you consider deities like Isis, Osiris, Artemis, Diana or Yemaya your patron and I wonder how you combine these non-celtic gods with the Celtic feasts, that are so important in pagan scene.
As I would consider (right now) the Greek Goddess Athena my patron (or matron), I'm not sure how to deal with holidays like Mabon or Samhain. Can you celebrate a Greek Goddess on an Irish holiday???

Greetings, Avena

Mairwen
September 6th, 2001, 11:30 AM
Well, first of all ... Irish doens't equal Celtic ... There were Irishmen before the Celts arrived ... Actually, the Greek had contact with the Celts before the Irish ...

Who's to say when you celebrate or what you do or who you honor?

Avena
September 6th, 2001, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by Mairwen
Well, first of all ... Irish doens't equal Celtic ... There were Irishmen before the Celts arrived ... Actually, the Greek had contact with the Celts before the Irish ...

Ah yesss, thanks for correcting me, dunno much about the Celts or Irish.

Originally posted by Mairwen
Who's to say when you celebrate or what you do or who you honor?

Well, actually somebody practicing Hellenic Paganism told me that it's no goot idea to mix Greek deities with Celtic (or Irish??) holidays. I don't give anything on his opinion though, but would like to know whow and if others combine their maybe non-celtic gods with Celtic holidays.

Avena

Dria El
September 7th, 2001, 09:28 AM
Well, as most here will probably tell you, follow your heart. If it feels like the right thing to do, then do it. If you don't feel comfortable with it, research the history and traditions of the pantheon you're interested in and celebrate their holidays. Alot of holidays had basically the same themes, just different names. Meaning, if they celebrated seasonal themes then they had a harvest time and usually celebrated it (calling it by whatever tradition and language dictated). There seems to be lots of correllations (ack! sp?) like that between pantheons.

I hope this helped...

yemayasdaughter
October 2nd, 2001, 12:04 AM
Avena,

Well, since my patron Goddess is Yemaya & Pele, I try to incorporate foods that are sacred to them, which is really easy. During Beltane... I had a jar of molasses and watermelon on my altar for Yemaya, and a Pinapple for Pele...

If there is no "documented" way of incorporating non-Celtic deities into Holidays, you find your own way. I like to quote Starhawk, when she said to "Start your own path, if you cann ot find one that connects to you"

Myst
October 2nd, 2001, 12:18 AM
For me Sabbats depend on the environment and actions of the season - for example Lughnassah is the great harvest to me, while Ostara is the time of new spring birth, and Beltaine a time of high fertility. I also might observe some holidays for deities (like the date that was often celebrated in Hekate's honour, etc.) depending on what pantheon I'm working with at the time. Do whatever feels best to you :)

Avena
October 2nd, 2001, 05:38 AM
Originally posted by yemayasdaughter
"Start your own path, if you cann ot find one that connects to you"

Problem is, the direction my path is leading changes almost monthly... I just realised I'm a real freestyle pagan :D

Originally posted by Willow Raven
Do whatever feels best to you :)

Yeah, guess that's the best thing I can do to prevent the feeling I did something wrong ;)

Dria El
October 2nd, 2001, 09:45 AM
Sounds to me like you're still developing who you are religion-wise. Maybe it's too early to commit to anything? Just a thought...

:)

yemayasdaughter
October 2nd, 2001, 06:55 PM
You seem a lot like me when I first began this path... (LOL... look at me talking like I've been Pagan all my life!! ;) ) I started by studying Yoruba practices, which I knew was not for me.... it then led me to Wicca, which I knew was not for me also.... to today. I am a Eclectic Witch... I used all that I learned in the past to form a path.

You might make a new decision about your path each month, each day, each hour... but that is all part of the process. How else will you learn what works for you? The cool thing about this path is that there is no protocol (sp.?) No one will tell you you're wrong.... and if they do, who cares?

I remember someone telling me that how can I have a voudoun Goddess as my Patron when I am Pagan? You have to just ignore ignorance and go where the Goddess leads you. Believe me, you will learn as you go, and you'll end up exactly where you have to be! :D

Avena
October 3rd, 2001, 06:35 AM
Originally posted by yemayasdaughter
The cool thing about this path is that there is no protocol (sp.?) No one will tell you you're wrong.... and if they do, who cares?
I remember someone telling me that how can I have a voudoun Goddess as my Patron when I am Pagan? You have to just ignore ignorance and go where the Goddess leads you. Believe me, you will learn as you go, and you'll end up exactly where you have to be! :D

Thanks for encouraging me :)
I really try hard to ignore people telling me what's wrong about my personal path, but it's REALLY hard... You know, people in my life (or people in general) always need proofs and scholars and documents (like Bible or something) that tell them something is correct and authentic and ok. It sounds weird to them when I tell them I write my own religious documents, I worship the gods I want to, and celebrate the feasts I like to celebrate. They just don't take you seriously...
But well, maybe that's also part of my path, to learn to "ignore ignorance"... my, this is difficult :D !!

P.S. I like Yemaya, tried to work with her sometime ago, but somehow she didn't want to work with me... *shrug* I like her though...