PDA

View Full Version : Suspicions: my English/Drama teacher

Ron
November 25th, 2004, 08:08 PM
Goodness... I am finally here to admit that I suspect my English and Drama teacher a Pagan. Fyi, I am not Wicca - Meis Cymric Pagano-Druid. Here are the facts:
]
Dresses in earth tones, which strike me as "close to the earth" - definitely religious or spiritual looking.
Censors the words G!d and Chr!st.
Says "Leave Jesus out of it." when crazies call his name in vain.
Does not understand my Catholic/Evangelican usage of the word "blasemphy".
Knows the names and signifigances of Semetic (Jewish) holy-days.
Is not offended when I make fun of the stupidity of some Protestants in northernmost Ireland who have hatred towards Catholics.
During an improv game, made a girl improv a "Wiccan Wedding", which she explained to the class in an EXTREMELY open-minded term... "If you don't know what Wiccans are they are *slight minor pause* Witches.
Thinks highly of my rendition of the Prophecy of Myddrin (Merlin) from Historiae Regum Britannae (History of the Old Kings of Britian). (The Propechy of Merlin is basically a story of the survival of the Welsh Red Dragon over a Saxon White one. It's the main reason there is a Red Dragon on the National Flag of Wales.

I also think that she knows that I am not your average little church boy. She used to say "Thank you kindly" which is quite Catholic around these parts, so I used to think she was one. But since she but me in that scene with the "Wiccan Wedding" (lol) which I tried to explain to the other people, but they just starred at me as if I was a frog from the bayou. Anyway, I've decided to try to hunt her out (LOL a witch hunt!) through my local Pagan connections and through the online meet groups I know of.

IF YOU ARE AN ENGLISH/DRAMA TEACHER IN THE OTTAWA AREA WHO HAS A VERY WELSH AND PROUD STUDENT IN BOTH OF YOUR MORNING CLASSES, PLEASE CONTACT ME. (lol cause you might be my teacher!!!!)

Anyway, does anyone else think - from what I posted here - that she might be Paganus? Wicca? (I strongly doubt she is Wicca, as in the traditional (real) Wicca (not eclectic), since she is far to caring towards the usage of the name of Jesus Chr!st.

Blessings...

Gede
November 26th, 2004, 02:25 AM
MM~
I think she could well be Rhys...although knowing the names of the Semitic holy days does not a Pagan make ;)

Namaste, Gede...

SilentDreams
November 26th, 2004, 06:28 AM
Well she could be. Although she could just as easily not be. Like Gede said, knowing the names of those holidays doesn't make anyone Pagan. I don't know their names and I'm pagan. Dressing in earth tones just sounds like a stereotypical teacher. Being touchy about saying Jesus' name in class could be because she does believe Jesus to be the son of God and doesn't like his name shouted in vain. Thinking highly of that Propehcy rendition could just be the mark of a enthusiastic English teacher. The only thing that makes me question is the whole Wiccan Wedding. But the others can easily be dismissed. Not trying to burst your bubble. Just want you too consider all options before getting your hopes up.

PoisonIvy
November 26th, 2004, 06:38 AM
Well she could be. Although she could just as easily not be. Like Gede said, knowing the names of those holidays doesn't make anyone Pagan. I don't know their names and I'm pagan. Dressing in earth tones just sounds like a stereotypical teacher. Being touchy about saying Jesus' name in class could be because she does believe Jesus to be the son of God and doesn't like his name shouted in vain. Thinking highly of that Propehcy rendition could just be the mark of a enthusiastic English teacher. The only thing that makes me question is the whole Wiccan Wedding. But the others can easily be dismissed. Not trying to burst your bubble. Just want you too consider all options before getting your hopes up.

I agree totally!!!! But the only thing I will add is the God and Jesus thing could also be because the school is always trying to separate church and state. But the Wiccan Wedding....that is kinda curious,unless it had to do with a play or something. She is a drama teacher. And all of this sounds pretty dramatic to me.

elfmage
November 26th, 2004, 07:59 AM
She could still be an "Eclectic Wiccan......" I know a few people who use Christian mythology in their beliefs.

It would rock if she was, but she could just be an open-minded person who is interested in mythology, theology and comparative religion. Either way, tolerance is a good thing!

Jenett
November 26th, 2004, 08:31 AM
As others have said: she could be, she might not be. She might simply have close friends or family who are Pagan. (My husband has been known to say most of those things, or I could see him doing it: he doesn't self-identify as Pagan, he just lives with me.)

I want to bring something else up, though: why do you care/want to know? Some schools require their teachers to not talk about religion with students. Others strongly encourage it. Bringing it up directly with her might put her in a hard place as a result.

I work in a high school library: a number of people know I'm well informed about mythology, I helped a student do research on a project on Wicca last year. But I'm careful not to tell anyone explicitly, because it's important to me that all of the students (including some of the more conservative Christian ones) feel comfortable working with me. (because that's my job).

One option (if you do want to mention it to her) is to talk to her at the end of the class semester/year or send a card and let her know that her attitude (and tolerance to other religions, etc.) made you feel more comfortable and helped you learn more/enjoy class more. If you wanted to be explicit about you being Pagan then, you could. Once the class is over, she might be more comfortable talking to you about it (at least potentially) and letting teachers know they did stuff that helped you learn is always good. (I get a huge kick out of the cards I've gotten from students and absolutely treasure them.)

Phoenix Blue
November 26th, 2004, 09:49 AM
Maybe she's simply open-minded. The "G-d and Jesus" thing sounds like something a Jewish person would do.

I don't get the obsession with trying to figure out if people one admires is Pagan. Their religion shouldn't matter if they're a good role-model otherwise. :)

Faeawyn
November 26th, 2004, 12:34 PM
Does she have any crystals or scented candles around her class? What about her jewelry?? Sterling silver with a gemstone perhaps? Any other clues around her class?

Raydreamer
November 26th, 2004, 12:37 PM
You could ask her?
She sounds nice so either way the likelyhood is she'll be polite _vb_

Silverfire Darkmoon
November 26th, 2004, 12:52 PM
If she seems knolwedgeable about both Jewish holy days and things, and paganism, than perhaps she's Druish?
Sorry, I just saw Spaceballs....couldn't help it!
I know full well that my twelfth grade photography teacher was a magical sort, as she pretty much said so in her review of my portfolio, which had more than a few witchy photos in it, let me tell you.

Ron
November 26th, 2004, 10:54 PM
Does she have any crystals or scented candles around her class? What about her jewelry?? Sterling silver with a gemstone perhaps? Any other clues around her class?
She doesn't decorate her classes. But she does often wear sterling silver and gemstone looking things. But other than that, there's nothing I can find. Well, there is the fact that she is not a computer type. She does everything by hand, which is pretty rare among my teachers at school. She also knows little about computers; little more than the required to put in the marks and attendance.

Oh yea, and there's no way I'm going to downright ask her, because I'm sure it would make for a sticky situation. I was thinking more along the lines of an anonymous letter... but that's not going to happen =) I'm positive that she is though.

Thank you everyone! _handclapp

StephanieAine
November 26th, 2004, 11:03 PM
Sounds like very basic Christianity to me (as in either some very low-key Protestant denomination, or perhaps Celtic Christian). A lot of Christians are very aware about earth religions and so forth, especially if they're interested at all in the transition period and the early church movement.

StephanieAine
November 26th, 2004, 11:05 PM
An afterthought: the knowledge of the Jewish festivals/holy days and so forth definitely argues "low key Christian".

Ron
November 26th, 2004, 11:08 PM
Sounds like very basic Christianity to me (as in either some very low-key Protestant denomination, or perhaps Celtic Christian). A lot of Christians are very aware about earth religions and so forth, especially if they're interested at all in the transition period and the early church movement.
Yes. But I have the same knowledge :p. Initially I wrote her off as a Catholic, then I started thinking Anglican/Celtic Christian. But the "Wiccan Wedding" makes me look twice. But who knows.