PDA

View Full Version : Tao/Buddist/Hinduism etc.

SnowWhite
December 1st, 2004, 10:20 PM
Hi all,

I hope this hasn't already been asked. If so kindly direct me to the nearest relevant thread.

I was wondering if these realigions (Buddhism, Taoism, Hinduism, etc) were considered pagan paths, or simply, paths within them selves. Like, if you are one of these, are you considered to be pagan???

Sorry if this is something I should know, but I don't. Eeeek.
Thanks
Sophia :help:

Rain Gnosis
December 1st, 2004, 10:25 PM
Hi, please don't feel worried about asking questions :)

Ok, it depends on how you define Paganism. Some people think Paganism refers to any religion that is not Jewish, Christian, or Islamic - so those you mentioned would be Pagan. Some people think Paganism refers to earth-based religions - so those you mentioned would not be Pagan. Others think Pagans are simply anyone who self-identifies as Pagan, and I don't think many (or any?) Buddhists or Taoists would identify themselves as Pagan. This is perhaps the best indicator at all, IMHO - you probably wouldn't want to call someone something they don't consider themselves to be. And that's why I wouldn't consider Buddhists or Taoists Pagan. I don't know about Hinduism though.

shenanigans
December 2nd, 2004, 04:21 PM
I don't consider them pagan. They were old religions when the term "pagan" was coined.

Rain Gnosis
December 2nd, 2004, 08:16 PM
Hm, but ancient myths and gods existed before Pagan too, such as in Ancient Egypt, Greece, Sumeria, etc. etc. Are they also not Pagan?

Ron
December 2nd, 2004, 09:19 PM
I don't consider them pagan. They were old religions when the term "pagan" was coined.
No offense, but in my humle opinion: That's a rather strange way to define "Pagan" - a way that I have never heard before. To say truth, it fasinates me.

I define Pagan as a spiritual freethinker - that's not to say that I go around with stickers marked "This is a Pagan."

shenanigans
December 3rd, 2004, 04:27 PM
No offense, but in my humle opinion: That's a rather strange way to define "Pagan" - a way that I have never heard before. To say truth, it fasinates me.

I define Pagan as a spiritual freethinker - that's not to say that I go around with stickers marked "This is a Pagan."

lol, ok, so my intitial comment was lacking in support, I'll grant that. Now, I can't speak for all the religions in question, but hindus don't consider themselves pagan. At least, I've yet to speak with one who does.

My dictionary defines pagan as one who does not acknowledge the God of Christianity and Judaism and Islam. I don't know about Taoism or Buddhism, but Hindism acknowledges them. It also defines Pagan as one who is not a Christian, Muslim, or Jew, especially a worshiper of a polytheistic religion. So a Hindu isn't a Christian, Muslim or Jew, but they aren't polytheistic either, they're polytheistic monotheists, believing that all gods are different aspects of the One.

Ron
December 3rd, 2004, 05:48 PM
Dictionary.com is a gift from Heaven... :)

pa·gan
n.

1. One who is not a Christian, Muslim, or Jew, especially a worshiper of a polytheistic religion.
2. One who has no religion.
3. A non-Christian.
4. A hedonist.
5. A Neo-Pagan.

adj.

1. Not Christian, Muslim, or Jewish.
2. Professing no religion; heathen.
3. Neo-Pagan.

Here: try Cyfeillach's opinion :) http://cyfeillach.uk.to/about-us.php#pagan

BenSt
December 5th, 2004, 08:37 PM
Good question, in my opinion none of these are Pagan...Buddhism is Athiestic, Tao is Mystical, and Hinduism is Pantheistic. There are many 'gods' in Hinduism, but they only worship one God, all others are manifestations...Buddhism acknowledges the existance of Gods, but sees the Buddha as higher (and they don't worship Buddha as a God either)...and Taoism is more looking at the natural order of the universe shown in mystical and metaphorical ways...To be Pagan, in my opinion, you must worship a Pantheon of Gods or a certain God in a way that lacks standardized theological ideas and beliefs. As for Ancient Gods, Hinduism could be thought of that but the majority of the major Devas (Brahma, Shiva, Vishnu, Shakti...) are actually add ons to the original Dravidic and Vedic Pantheon. Personally though, does it matter if they are considered Pagan paths? I don't really care if soemthing is pagan or not...as long as you enjoy it and it fulfills you, and ofcourse you respect it as it's opwn individual thing...what does it matter? Namaste

Tobias

whitewater
December 8th, 2004, 01:00 PM
Buddhism, Hinduism, and Taoism are not necessarily pagan. however, they share a few common beliefs and practices with paganism such as the belief of many gods, meditation, and the belief of reincarnation. If you are interested in possibly following one of these paths, go right ahead. i, for one will support you every step of the way. :)

(sorry if that does'nt help that much, im just feeling like spreading fuzzies today.)