PDA

View Full Version : Ceremonial Magick

Myst
September 11th, 2001, 05:58 AM
I've been recently researching this "high magick". Are you also interested in it? Do you have any great links to share? Do you have any comments or questions about this system? What do you think about High Magick? Does anyone else here practice it?

Myst
September 11th, 2001, 06:04 AM
Oh, incidentally I found this amusing "(JA-VA, the true pronunication of YHVH)" from a geek point of view... (from http://www.angelfire.com/nt/dragon9/HIGHMAGICK.html )

Myst
September 11th, 2001, 06:06 AM
Oh incidentally, mol, interesting how our titles tie into the tree of life (or is it the tree of knowledge.. oy vey, I have so much to learn). :)

Astraea
September 13th, 2001, 04:17 PM
I wish I had some links to share. I just can't surf often and find anything great online.
I'd be glad to share some book titles though. I sort of found my own way as far as books on high magick so I waded through some garbage. Good intros to high magick are "Paths of Wisdom: Magical Qabala in Western Tradition" by John Michael Greer. I also read a good one by Donald Michael Kraig but I can't for the life of me recall the exact title. Most of my books are at my other home. "Techniques of High Magic" by Francis King was decent.
I thought "The Witch's Qabala" by Ellen Canon Reed was great.
The Goetia- The Lesser Key of Solomon, The Greater Key of Solomon are important texts to read, in my opinion. "Goetic Evocation" by Steve Savedow was interesting. The Hieroglyphic Monad is what I'm reading right now and it's interesting also. I plan to read more from John Dee after I finish this. I'm interested in Enochian magick, I think it's fascinating.
There's just a ton of material out there, I haven't even scratched the surface yet.

I ultimately have swayed from some of what I've read and stuck to my own personal discoveries, developed my own techniques. I read up on chaos magick and so on also, but that was mostly just research for me too. High magick is really interesting though, I think, even if you don't end up embracing it.

amberlaine
September 13th, 2001, 05:32 PM
Hey Willow Raven,

I've been practicing ceremonial magic for about 6 months now, and next month I"m going ot be initiated into a Golden Dawn temple. *is excited*. I was lucky enough to find someone to teach/mentor me, so I didn't have to study via the internet, but here are some links that you might find useful:

http://www.geocities.com/lvx_120/ The personal GD page of a very good friend of mine.

http://www.hermeticgoldendawn.org/index.shtml The official homepage of the Orer of the GD that I'm initiating into.

http://members.aol.com/khephres/aolindex.html A very good personal site from someone who is Wiccan and CM

However, in my experience, books make a somehwat better into to ceremonial magic.

Books I personally recommend:

Circles of Power by John Michael Greer. This is an introductory text to GD style ceremonial magic, and I found this text very easy to understand, and very useful.

A Garden of Pomegranates , Israel REgardie. An introduction to Hermetic Kabbalah. I really loved this book.

Tree of Life , Israel Regardie. I didn't understand this book the first time I read it. I recommend this book only if you've got a pretty sound foundation already.

Self Initiation into the Golden Dawn , CHic and Tabitha Cicero. This is a fabulous foundation for the study of the high magical arts. Even if you don't plan to perform a self initiation, this text is invaluable in the information and the exercises it provides the student.

Books I generally think you cna toss:

Modern Magick:Eleven Lessons in the High Magickal Arts , Donlad Michael Kraig. ACtually, I don't think this book sucks. However, I really liked the above books better, as I think they give you a much firmer grounding in the tradition. Kraig tends to skim over explanations, and because this book is *not* grounded in any particular Order (like the GD), it kinds of leaves you floundering in some place. But, if you're absolutely NOT interested in GD magic, this might be a good text.

Witches' Qabala , Ellen Cannon Reed. The first time I read this book, I really liked it. THen, I went off and learned about Kabbalah from various other traditional and Hermetic texts. When I came back to this book about 2 years after the first read, I was surprised at how poor this book is. If youre only looking for a very cursory understanding of Kabbalah at its most basic level, then this is a decent book. But if you plan to seriouslystudy CM, chuck this book far, far away from you.

Mystical Qabalah , Dion Fortune. The language alone makes this book very hard to read. If you can get over her writing style, its not a bad read. However, there are many better books out there for the student of Kabbalah, so again, I"d skip this entirely.

The Bahir , translation and commentary by Aryeh Kaplan. A lot of pompous ceremonial mages will include this on their list of books to read. Unless you're a true JEwish scholar, have a very firm grasp of Kabbalah, and generally like to torture yourself, SKIP this bok, and come back to it in about 30 years. An no, I"m not kidding.

Of course, your mileage may vary. These are just my impressions and thoughts as a neophyte on this path :) Good luck!

Myst
September 13th, 2001, 09:37 PM
Brightest blessings and thanks for the resources!

~Owl~
June 19th, 2007, 02:23 AM
The Magus is also considered a classic, though quite advanced.

Fr.Vega Morn
June 20th, 2007, 08:59 PM
Francis Barratt's 'The Magus' was pretty much a wholesale plagarization of 'Three Books Of Occult Philosophy' by Agrippa.

Both are pretty hefty reads, though Donald Tyson's annotated 'Three Books' is particularly good (in small doses). It's the only work of his that didn't make me want to wince.

RedRaven
June 20th, 2007, 11:54 PM
Ave,
yes I practice ceremonial magic. Im a member of the OSDL (Order of the Sons and Daughters of Light) where our main focus on Enochian magic. From my own gradework, which is still considered "beginner" in the Order, we work a lot with Qabalah, tarot (ties in with qbl), and esoteric astrology. These all tie in with the actual Enochian work so we learn all these subjects.

Edit: Dion Fortune`s "Mystical Qabalah" isnt a hard read at all and a very good book for the basics of Qabalah IMO. I highly recommend it to anyone who is interested in CM.

Fr.Vega Morn
June 22nd, 2007, 02:08 PM
Red Raven,

I didn't know OSDL was still active. Interesting!

RedRaven
June 23rd, 2007, 03:45 AM
Ave,
yes, its still active and its going well ;)

Fr.Vega Morn
June 23rd, 2007, 02:33 PM
Good to hear. I heard (back in 2005) from a former poster at Mages Of Qabalah (who I met by accident at a Lon Duquette seminar in London) that the forum and the order had gone into abeyance.

It would appear the rumours of it's demise were greatly exagerated!

Humming Bird
December 31st, 2016, 02:52 AM
I've been recently researching this "high magick". Are you also interested in it? Do you have any great links to share? Do you have any comments or questions about this system? What do you think about High Magick? Does anyone else here practice it?

Yes, I'm very much interested in it

Sure, but you've got to tell me what you are looking for. The term 'High Magick' covers a lot.

It isn't any one system. there are numerous systems of High Magick.
- Greater and Lesser Keys of Solomon
- The Sixth and seventh Books of Moses
- The Grimoirum Vernum
-The Black Pullet
-The Dragon Rogue
- The Heptamernon
- The Grimoire of Honorious
- Abramelin
- Agrippan
- the work of Eliphas Levi
- John Dee's Enochian system
- The Picatrix
-The Clavis Inferni
- Golden Dawn
- Aurum Solis
- Hermetic Brotherhood of Luxor
- BOTA
- Freemasonry
- Thelema
--OTO
--AA
Gardnerian and Alexandrian Witchcraft

As for what i think about High magick lets consider what the Grimoire tradition is. The grimoires are an account of the system their authors built and used while under-going their great work.
They've been used to "get stuff" and "win this" or "that" but really that's a lot of work given to do inconsequential things. people who write grimoires generally don't have time to be bothered by inconsequential things. Inconsequential meaning not consequential or of no part of the sequence that is the progression of their path. their work charts their csmology and wordview and in exploring every nook and cranny of this they learn about themselves and their work. As a consequence High Magick, is very fine tuned allowing you to work with very specific forces and sub-forces, currents and sub-currents as to experience a mystery and understand something more about the grand mechanism of providence. -and that was the drive, to understand that 'grand mechanism' regardless of what religious or philosophical imagery you used. along the way allegory has led to both confusion and the work of charlatans just as easily as those seeking wisdom.

really it has its place with Theurgy- communion and not so much practical magick. A ceremonial magician ca 'move' mountains to accomplish a physical aim but they do not develop this though considerations of blighting anothe'rs crop or making someone fall in love with them. They have no energy to waste on that quarrel and no time for women.

When simple, practical magick will do you needent plan accordingly to the planetary hour, lunar phase or conjure up all the forces of creation to do your bidding. Certainly all of these things can be conjured from within as aligned to without. That of courses assumes you know the thing you are calling up, that you have experienced that mystery and it is known to you as yourself. You don't need to use a ritual of the pentagram... if you are the ritual of the pentagram. if you are your magick and this is when you start to become a mystic, to embody the mystery. You are training yourself to do that. Ceremonial magick is the trial of of ceremony, the work of the adept [to be].

This is also where I am frustrated with most ceremonial magicians who are just going through the motions of their operations. They go no further than learning the LBRP, maybe a hexagram ritual and dont heed 'know thyself'. They don't explore their own depths or cultivate the means to travel to the other side. Magicians would go to the various spheres, rise on the planes etc. This involves working liminaly and altered states... I do feel ceremonial magician rely on to many tools. I also feel that each tool has its proper place and function. They bring out what is already inherent within the practitioner and help them develop those faculties. Through this process the tools become entities in their own right but they are birthed though this work.

Which is why i prefer to hang out with traditional witches who have knowledge of grimoire traditions- and as it turns out there are a number of traditional witches who are involved with the O.T.O.
The H.G.A. is after all a familiar spirit. Now this does not mean they are very ceremonial in their witchcraft. Many of them keep their ceremonial magick and their witchcraft separate or rather what they see as each. The point is though that they are strong practitioners on both sides and it is evident that they are better for it on both sides.