PDA

View Full Version : Wonderful article......

FlyingBear
December 11th, 2004, 02:34 AM
More POV's like this need to be heard.....

http://www.mothering.com/articles/body_soul/bodywise/baby-fat.html

Ceres
December 11th, 2004, 10:20 AM
pov = people of volume? i have never heard that term, but i love it!
i was fat before i got pregnant and always ate as much as i wanted (note: i said wanted, not needed) and as a result i had no problem with baby fat and in fact usually lost a bit of weight while pregnant because of a loss of appetite. with my last pregnancy i refused to be weighed - not because i was embarassed, but as a statement about the absurdity of using weight gain as a diagnostic tool. it really isnt imperative to measure weight gain so precisely; if u are gaining too much water, it will be obvious in swollen hands and feet. we dont need to know down to the pound how much more we weigh than the previous month.
after my last baby, i had no definite plans to lose weight, tho i thought it might help reduce my risk of breast cancer, which runs in the family. i think the "health risks" of being overweight are real, but exaggerrated. i dont think a person who is fat while eating a really good healthy diet should be judged the same as a fat person who eats a terrible diet. there is more to health risk than that. what i realized tho, after some expiramentation, was that while i ate a good diet, i ate WAY too much. i started eating only according to hunger and started listening more to what my body was asking for and was able to lose the weight.
a really great book written by a POV Ôs "no fat chicks" by terry poulton. reading it helped me see some of the reasons why fat ppl are one of the last groups its still ok to stereotype and discrminate against.

soilsigh aingeal
December 11th, 2004, 02:23 PM
POV=Point of View

Great article, thanks for sharing!

fahawk
December 11th, 2004, 03:04 PM
Great article :)
I too liked myself more after..the curves..that I didnt have before..just feeling more at peace of who I was. My husband always said he liked the Preg me ..
(maybe men arent really as concerned with the "advertised" way women should look??)
But..I still struggle with the idea of the "acceptable" look- whatever that is..
no matter wha I do..the round "baby" belly still persist..and at times I feel discouraged with that part of me..
Paintings often show "maiden" women rounder..and the pictures are beautiful..so maybe we need to re-think.

Ceres
December 11th, 2004, 03:50 PM
POV=Point of View

Great article, thanks for sharing!

ok, i am am laughing my a$$ off at my error...i still like the term ppl of volume tho ;)

ObsidianSunrise
December 12th, 2004, 02:46 AM
A wonderful article! I sent the link to a friend who is struggling with her body image as result of having twins. Don't feel like you are alone with the 'baby belly' thing Fahawk. My youngest is 18 and I have never been able to make it go away, no matter how much weight I lost or how many crunches, sit ups, etc. I did. After seeing a lot of renaissance art, it doesn't bother me anymore. I rather like the healthy curvy look as compared to some of the models out there that look like skeletons with skin! LOL And most of the men I know do too!

Ceres
December 12th, 2004, 08:15 AM
My husband laughingly refers to the baby belly as my "kanga pouch".