PDA

View Full Version : Wicca for the Rest of Us

Willow_starr
December 14th, 2004, 01:15 PM
Wicca for the Rest of Us (http://wicca.timerift.net/index.html)
This site has some excellent basic and more indepth information on Wicca which is original and easy to access. The most impressive part of the page is the incredibly well researched and documented Wiccan myth-busting. The layout and navigation are clear and easy to use though the amount of information and in text links is a bit overwhelming.

I take issue with the author's demissive and condesending statements around feminism, and in the Traditions section they also make disparaging remarks about Gardnarians being the snooty countryclub members of Wicca, but nothing is perfect.

Other thoughts?

Valerie
December 14th, 2004, 01:42 PM
I think that she 'calls it like it is' - she doesn't sugar coat anything and is very straight forward in her assesments. The site has lots of useful information, and is one of the sites that I recommend for newcomers in my forum - beginners can learn a lot there.

As for her being a bit condescending, I can see where you think that. However, I think she is just working hard to dispell the whole fluffy bunny syndrome and show Wicca for what it really is - which is often not an easy task.

All in all, I'd say it's a good site, and I often refer to it.

-Aries-

Verthandi
December 14th, 2004, 01:56 PM
Heh, there's been a couple other times this link was posted. I know, because I posted it once myself.

Wiccamagikal
January 10th, 2005, 02:54 PM
Wow!
Let me tell you, I read this..and I think..wowza..I was once a "Fluffy Bunny" and yes, I will admit that. I first came into the religion of Wicca to Spite my parents and make everyone think "oh look at him, hes so...dark" Well I fell out of that stage, and fell out of religion completly to be honest...Now I look at wicca as a force that is just..unstopable..Its amazing. I am in it for ME now, not to spite anyone, or to make anyone think differently of me. I used to think " This will solve everything" Well, It didnt. I now use my religion as a tool to solve the little things that need taken care of in life, that leaves me room for the bigger things. I am telling ya! This site ROCKS.

AmericanMe
January 10th, 2005, 06:02 PM
This site is definetly a must-read for anyone interested in pagan religions. There's alot of myths and bad history surrounding the Wiccan religion. Feminists get it bad because many in that movement are attempting to re-write history to fit their socio-political views. I agree with ~Aries~ statement that the author is just telling it like it is. I hope no one is so intolerant as to ignore what this site has to say because of the "tone".

Though I also feel the same about the WhyWiccansSuck.com site. Which also has some good info and better links. (http://www.whywiccanssuck.com/links.html)

Silverfire Darkmoon
January 10th, 2005, 06:29 PM
I have always believed that Wicca For The Rest Of Us is one of the best sites on Wicca that currently exists. We NEED the Countermovement. Ignorant twits like $ilver RavenWolf and Z. Budapest are perfect examples why, because they masquerade as Wiccans and then misrepresent our religion to others.
You may flame me if you like, but I stand firmly by my above statement.

Pandoras
January 10th, 2005, 11:47 PM
I also take issue with the author's attitude regarding feminism, but generally I think it's a very good site. It is easy navigate and it's full of great information. I often recommend the site and I'm not even Wiccan.

Gede
January 18th, 2005, 11:28 AM
MM~

Ignorant twits like $ilver RavenWolf and Z. Budapest are perfect examples

Z. Budapest? Okay then...and here I was thinking she was a fine specimen of what is good about our community.

Namaste, Gede...

StarSpiral
February 14th, 2005, 11:28 AM
I wouldn't put Ravenwolf and Budapest in the same category. While it is true that the feminist Goddess Spirituality movement was one of the bigger groups spreading historical inaccuracy it is very different now than it was in the '70's and '80's. I also disagree with Dianics arguement that we should focus solely on the Goddess as a counterbalance to Western religions' patriarchal focus - I feel we need to practice the balance we'd like to see. But Z. Budapest has done a lot for Paganism and does so out of (what I believe) are her honest beliefs. Ravenwolf on the other seems only interested in milking as much publishing as possible out of the Pagan community.

Ignorant twits like $ilver RavenWolf and Z. Budapest are perfect examples why, because they masquerade as Wiccans and then misrepresent our religion to others.
You may flame me if you like, but I stand firmly by my above statement.

raven grimassi
February 14th, 2005, 01:52 PM
This site has some excellent basic and more indepth information on Wicca which is original and easy to access. The most impressive part of the page is the incredibly well researched and documented Wiccan myth-busting. Other thoughts?

The site seems fine for what it is. The problem I have with the so-called "incredibly well researched and documented Wiccan myth-busting" is that it is based on speculation, which here is rooted in the incorrect notion that if you cannot prove it then it does not exist.

To many scholars a lack of evidence equates to non-existence, but I prefer the view of historian Peter Kingsley who wrote: "Academically, doubt is a virtue. It is wise to be cautious, virtuous to allow for different points of view. The problem arises when this attitude hardens: then doubting becomes a certainty in itself, and we forget the importance of doubting our doubt".

Best regards - Raven

blackroseivy
February 14th, 2005, 03:09 PM
I really admire your attitude, Raven! :D

Zhr Morgana
February 14th, 2005, 04:05 PM
I like this site too...mostly for its no-bullsh*t manner of speaking and straightforward way of putting things.

Dark Phoenix
February 15th, 2005, 08:08 PM
The author is very straight forward if a little hostile but the author said she wrote it when she was made so the tone of the site is understandable and while on a few point's I disagree but otherwise it is a ok site.

Dark Phoenix
February 17th, 2005, 02:12 PM
Did any one read the authors essay on Dangerous hypocrisy in feminism? Very interested to her other peoples takes on it.

Ben Trismegistus
February 17th, 2005, 02:37 PM
Did any one read the authors essay on Dangerous hypocrisy in feminism? Very interested to her other peoples takes on it.
I think she's right on the money, although I do think that she overstresses the point at times, and gets away from the main idea, which is that feminism is not a good enough reason for being Wiccan.

She is absolutely right, however, that it is not the function of the Wiccan religion to empower women.

Elderbush
February 17th, 2005, 10:16 PM
Excellent site! It should be mandatory reading for Wiccans.

The High Queen of Faerie
February 17th, 2005, 10:47 PM
i really, really dislike this site.

ibonewits
February 18th, 2005, 12:08 AM
The site seems fine for what it is. The problem I have with the so-called "incredibly well researched and documented Wiccan myth-busting" is that it is based on speculation, which here is rooted in the incorrect notion that if you cannot prove it then it does not exist.I've been to the site several times and it generally seems to me to be well researched and well thought out. She does puncture a lot of myths about Wicca and Witchcraft, and that's A Good Thing.

I'll have to disagree with you here, Raven. While it is true that it's impossible to prove an absolute negative, one can look at the weight of evidence to see whether a claim appears likely, possible, or far-fetched. When there is little or no evidence to support the existence of something that was supposedly widely spread through both time and space, the odds are it didn't exist.

If I say that there were green cows raised all over Europe for two thousand years, yet there are no historical, religious, or artistic references to green cows from any European country during that time period, you would be fully justified in concluding that there probably weren't any. The fact that we might both want desperately to believe in green cows doesn't save the concept from its improbability.

cheers,
Isaac

Ben Trismegistus
February 18th, 2005, 10:51 AM
i really, really dislike this site.
Care to give any sort of reasoning, or do you just want to dismiss it outright?