PDA

View Full Version : This Really Pisses Me Off!!! @#&%*$!!!

Earth Walker
September 12th, 2001, 04:57 PM
This is a slam on Canadian authorities and their complacency!
Every Canadian should be disgusted with this! :G

The Hunt For Terror Suspects
Mideast radicals grilled in Canada

Intelligence(?)officials and police step
up surveillance of Osama bin Laden's
followers in Vancouver, other big cities.

Canadian intelligence and policing agencies are quizzing
Mideast radicals to see if any of them provided support for
the horrific attacks on the U.S. yesterday.
Ottawa told the Canadian Security Intelligence Service and
the RCMP to step up surveillance of Osama bin Laden's
followers in Vancouver, Calgary, Toronto and Montreal, sources
said.
Several Islamists living in Canada are known sympathizer's of
bin Laden, who is believed by intelligence authorities to be
responsible for the U.S. carnage.
Many of these sympathizers are Mujahedin -- warriors of god --
who fought in wars in Bosnia, Kosovo and Chechnya.
They support the doctrine of Jihad, claiming it is mandatory for
Muslims to support a holy war of the type that bin Laden claims
he is fighting against the U.S.
Sources say that only bin Laden possesses the capability to
launch such sophisticated and coordinated attacks.
"There were no warnings, period," said one source yesterday
about the air attacks using hijacked aircraft.
Canada is home to 50 terrorist groups, according to top CSIS
officials who recently filed reports on this country's vulnerability
to being used as a launching pad for attacks against allies such
as the U.S.
Authorities in Canada know of direct telephone contacts
between some radical Islamists in Vancouver, Calgary, Toronto
and Montreal, and Hassan Zainul Abideen, a top lieutenant of
bin Laden.
Meanwhile, the U.S. has bolstered its intelligence gathering
capabilities within Canada in the wake of the Border Bomb plot
which was defused when Algerian Ahmed Ressam was captured
at Port Angeles, Washington, on Dec. 14, 1999.
Ressam was planning to carry explosives manufactured in
Vancouver to Seattle, where he hoped to board an Amtrak train
for Los Angeles. His target was the Los Angeles International
Airport terminal where he would have detonated a powerful
suitcase bomb manufactured in Vancouver.
Authorities at that time suspected the Ressam plot was a
precursor to a possible larger attack.
Canada's security agencies have been heavily involved in
monitoring bin Laden's cohorts n Canada since Ressam confessed
to the FBI he was trained at the Khalden camp in Afghanistan
by a Palestinian identified as El Khaled.

Why the F#@&! didn't authorities take action against these people instead of playing "I Spy?"!!!

Daniel
September 12th, 2001, 05:07 PM
I will preface this by saying that I am not Canadian, am not particularly in love with the Canadian government, and do not know as much as I should about Canada.

My guess, Mystique, is that they are handling these Bin Laden types the same way my government sometimes handles dealers. You keep letting them do their thing until they inadvertantly give away the bigger fish. This allows you to do significantly more dammage to your enemy (if you are following the law enforcement model and not the military engagement model).

My suspicion is that Canadian authorities felt the information they could get from the local terrorist wanna-bees was far more valuable than the dammage they thought these individuals were capable of doing.

It would seem that they were wrong, but that's the nature of the game; risks and rewards.

EasternPriest
September 12th, 2001, 09:37 PM
Maybe Interpol should handle it.

Myst
September 12th, 2001, 10:49 PM
Freedom of Speech? You can't arrest people for thinking they have to fight a holy war, or even really talking on the phone.

and I think Daniel made a very valid point. Apparently the risk was greater then anyone thought..

Earth Walker
September 12th, 2001, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by Willow Raven
Freedom of Speech? You can't arrest people for thinking they have to fight a holy war, or even really talking on the phone.

and I think Daniel made a very valid point. Apparently the risk was greater then anyone thought..

They were not "thinking" they have to fight a holy war.
They were planning acts of terrorism.
It was also Osama bin laden who first tried to blow up the
WTC about 5 years ago, by planting explosives in the basement.

EasternPriest
September 12th, 2001, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by Mystique

They were not "thinking" they have to fight a holy war.
They were planning acts of terrorism.
It was also Osama bin laden who first tried to blow up the
WTC about 5 years ago, by planting explosives in the basement.

for bin laden, it is a "holy war."

Myst
September 12th, 2001, 11:15 PM
Regardless of whether *we* call it a holy war, that's what it is to them. It's a matter of their freedom of speech and beliefs vs a risk no one knew the magnitude of. If I make a half-@$$ comment about knowing how to build a bomb over the phone I can't be arrested for setting a bomb off can I? Yes, I agree that they should've done more then listened in, but I can understand how it was a delicate subject - rights groups on one side, and we know Canada doesn't like that sort of conflict..

raevyncigany
September 15th, 2001, 12:16 PM
Personally I think the words "holy" and "war" should be mutually exclusive, like "jumbo shrimp"....

:rolleyes:

BB

Rae )0(

Shy Hawk
September 15th, 2001, 10:31 PM
If you want to be a stickler, the actual bomber of the WTC the first time was not Bin Laden, but a Sheik called the "blind cleric"....now what was his name? Someone help me here. Supposedly they were in collaboration together, but it wasn't him specifically.
That man is in an America jail today...as well as Raheem Yusef (an Egyptian man) who was also a conspirator...I just keep hearing people say that HE planted the bombs, when in reality he was no where near the place. Just to be clear.

Earth Walker
September 15th, 2001, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by Shy Hawk
If you want to be a stickler, the actual bomber of the WTC the first time was not Bin Laden, but a Sheik called the "blind cleric"....now what was his name? Someone help me here. Supposedly they were in collaboration together, but it wasn't him specifically.
That man is in an America jail today...as well as Raheem Yusef (an Egyptian man) who was also a conspirator...I just keep hearing people say that HE planted the bombs, when in reality he was no where near the place. Just to be clear.

Although bin Laden was not in the area, he was still the Brain
behind the '93 WTC bombing.

Tigerwallah
September 16th, 2001, 09:01 AM
But he sends out a video taped warning right before he strikes. He did it before the first WTC bombing, before the attack on the U.S. embasy in Africa, before the bombing of the USS Cole, and before the bombing of the plane that crashed over Lockerbe, Scottland, and he did it before this bombing.

Unfortunately, bin Laden has a multi-national operation. There are extreamist members from many different countries, including the USA. This is a very difficult situation for the government. The enemy is not in any one place. They are everywhere.

Swanspirit
September 18th, 2001, 02:18 AM
and people mistakenly beleive that if we get rid of him someone else will take his place but they wont........many many "regimes" fail because the charismatic leader dies........ and he money from his wealthy father would not be available either .............
Love and light
Swannie

Tigerwallah
September 18th, 2001, 03:49 PM
I fear that this is one of those instances that might martyr the man if we kill him. He could end up more powerful dead than alive. Remember, this is, in the minds of his followers, a religious cruisade of sorts.

EasternPriest
September 19th, 2001, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by Tigerwallah
I fear that this is one of those instances that might martyr the man if we kill him. He could end up more powerful dead than alive. Remember, this is, in the minds of his followers, a religious cruisade of sorts.

Could well be. If you look at a few dictators that used to be powerful, Manuel Noriega and Amin are rotting in prisons, and noone hears about them anymore. If we had martyred them, who knows?

Swanspirit
September 19th, 2001, 12:45 AM
I would still prefer a dead martyr to a live
terrorist power broker in prison ..... depending of course on how long he lived in prison.......
I have to keep reminding myself that he will do MORE ................. and that the only reason there werent 50,000 people in those buildings was because they were just a bit early....
and I have difficulty seeing anyone who would engineer this as human.........more like a rabid animal ...........

Love and light
Swannie

EasternPriest
September 19th, 2001, 12:49 AM
The problem with dead martyrs is that, good or bad, they can live for thousands of years.

I'm just not sure if dead or alive is better. Half of me wants to send in Duke Nukem and be done with it, the other is just more wary.

Tigerwallah
September 19th, 2001, 08:23 AM
This guy has many followers and many underlings who would be ready to take over the fight in the name of bin Laden, the great leader murdered by the Great Evil, America. It might even serve to rally his supporters in Pakistan and all across the Middle East and Asia.

We saw this with the IRA. They lost their leaders, but now the organization seems to be unstoppable, and they lost the good cause. Now it is all about hurt and revenge.

Laiste
September 19th, 2001, 11:47 PM
Oh how it does suck when it hits so close to home!!!