PDA

View Full Version : YULE / Christmas Gifts

Xois
September 17th, 2001, 11:43 AM
what are people doing this year?

I am making a set of ornimants for my folks -- a snowflake out of wire and clear glass beads, a pineone hung upside down with rhinestones on each little "leaf" and a clay painted star...

who has the good ideas this year?

Wyrdsister
September 17th, 2001, 10:29 PM
This year I'm knitting my dad a few pairs of wool socks. "OOooh," you say "socks - how original! ;) :D

Well, the reason I'm knitting him some nice wool socks is because he loves hand made wool socks and he has not had a new pair since his mother passed away several years ago. All the pairs he has are getting warn and are developing holes but he still wears them (according to my mom). Since my paternal grandmother got me into needle crafts (crochet mostly) I thought he'd appreciate some nice new pairs of socks to replenish his supply. None of his other relatives knit them so I think I'll be his "supplier." :D :D

I'm not sure what I'm going to do for the rest of my family. Money's a bit tight for me this year, so I'll be staying away from big ticket store-bought items.

Great topic, Xois! I'm looking forward to more posts from others.

Wyrdsister

Lavender
September 18th, 2001, 12:26 AM
I love making handmade gifts for Yule. Unfortunately, only my sister appreciates them. The rest of the family just looks at them & say...oh, how nice. That doesn't matter because I love making them & put a lot of love & energies into my gifts. :) I have no idea what to do for this year. My family is getting tired of soaps & knitted mitts & socks. Can't wait to hear what everyone else is doing.

Morgan OwlWolf
September 23rd, 2001, 08:37 PM
Hello!! I love making gifts and my sisters love recieving them as much as I love to make them!! ;) The only problem is.. I can't think of anything to make them this year. I want to make something speacial (Bad spellers of the world UNTIE!!) for my Mom and my sisters, but I am drawing a creative blank. Any ideas??

You all can either reply to this or send me an e-mail at SparkyChimp@aol.com. Thanks!!

--Morgan

Yvonne Belisle
September 23rd, 2001, 10:28 PM
One of your more versital crafts is Bread Dough Orniments you can use it to make any type of thing and they are so cute. For your friends that like to make homemade cakes or cookies but don't have much time you can do a cake in a jar they can be really fun to do. For women who enjoy relaxing you can get a basket and fill it with homemade soaps, bath oils, bath salts and bubble bath. Don't forget some nice candles. If you have friends with fireplaces then scented pinecone firestarters are nice.

Lavender
September 25th, 2001, 12:11 AM
I've decided to make knitted slippers this year. Thanks to Ilailea, I think I found a source for handspun wool. I have a couple of skeins left so I can start on them now.

I'm also going to a couple of gift baskets. The butter recipes in the Green sounds delicious! That and some handmade soaps & bath salts in a pretty jar and some candles & I'm all set! :D

flar7
September 25th, 2001, 01:50 AM
I will be giving a few of my paintings. Some that I have, and some that I will be working on.

Semele
September 25th, 2001, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by flar7
I will be giving a few of my paintings. Some that I have, and some that I will be working on.

hhhmmmm...like to your best friends who will have a new big house with empty walls...hint hint...MEOWWWW!!!

And what would you like for Christmas this year little Joey???

No way...you will shoot your eye out!!!

Tigerwallah
September 27th, 2001, 09:27 PM
I make fun snowpeople, sea life and crazy little snow monkeys. It bakes hard in the oven. It comes in fun colors and can be painted. I've also been painting sand dollars and using the key-hole to put the string through.

Nyx
September 27th, 2001, 09:51 PM
I think I'm going to try my hand at soap making this year. I hope my friends don't mind being the test subjects!
I also plan to make handmade cards.

~~Nyx~~

Yvonne Belisle
September 27th, 2001, 10:46 PM
Potpourri Gel Jars

Recipe By : Real Food for Real People
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Non-Food OAMC

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 cups Distilled Water
4 packages Un-flavored Gelatin
50 drops Essential Oil -- (for fragrance)
Food Coloring -- as desired

Heat one cup water in medium sized saucepan. Add gelatin, stirring to
dissolve. Remove from heat and add remaining 1 cup of liquid as well as
food coloring, and stir until dissolved. Put drops of essential oil into
jars then add gelatin mixture. Place in fridge for approximately 2 hours.
Remove, cover with plastic wrap or lid if you have one, and store at room
temperature. To release the scent simply remove the lid... and when you are
finished make sure you re-cover the jar so all the scent doesn't evaporate.

This recipe makes four gel jars/ aprox. 4 oz each.

To decorate for gifts, tie ribbon or lace around the neck of the jar or add
silk/dried flowers to the bow. It works very well to cut a circle of lace
which can be reapplied after removing lid, by screwing the band on over the
lace. This will allow the scent to be enjoyed as well as keeping the jar
decorative while it is being used.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Clear glycerin soap
Essential Oil
Coloring if desired-to compliment the fragrance you choose.

Grate or chop soap and place in glass measuring cup. Heat in microwave until
thoroughly melted. Stir in your essential oil and coloring. Pour into jars
and decorate as desired. This will also be a thick enough mixture that you
can suspend things like lemon slices or orange slices in them.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You will need: 4 envelopes plain gelatin
16 oz. bottle potpourri oil

In heat proof 4 cup glass cup place 8 oz. of potpourri oil. Heat in
microwave until really hot. This will give off a VERY STRONG fragrance so
you may want to open a window.

Stir in gelatin until completely dissolved.

Add the remaining 8 oz. potpourri oil. Pour into jars and decorate.

The potpourri oil is available in most WalMart stores and craft stores. It
has coloring added to it so you don't need to add any additional coloring.

Lavender
September 28th, 2001, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by Nyx
I think I'm going to try my hand at soap making this year. I hope my friends don't mind being the test subjects!
I also plan to make handmade cards.

~~Nyx~~

Hi Nyx! There's a thread on soap making if you're interested. There's a few of us here that makes soaps too if you need any help. If you haven't done it before, it's very addictive! :D

Niamh
October 6th, 2001, 10:24 PM
Some people will get hand made beaded jewelry. If only I had a digital camera! I've been making matching sets of necklace, earrings and bracelet.

Other people are getting blank notecards. I bought the blank cards and envelopes at the craft shop and am painting some, writing poems, prayers,etc in calligraphy on others.

I'm also doing candles, which I do year round. I just got in a new shipment of beeswax sheets. I plan on making "sushi" candles for some of my friends! I did one California roll. It's not an original idea, but it's fun and people like it.

Xois
October 14th, 2001, 02:24 PM
From sacredspiral.com

Scented Rice
Copyright Eliza Fegley, 2001.

Needed:
Uncooked rice (do not use instant rice)
Glass jar
Essential or fragrance oil

Add about 1 teaspoon of essential or fragrance oil to the glass jar.
Roll the jar around so that the oil covers the bottom and sides of the jar.
Add about 2 cups of the uncooked rice to the jar. Roll and shake the jar
around to cover the rice with the oil.
Rubber band a piece of fabric or a coffee filter over the opening of the jar.
Do not use metal as it may react with the essential oil.
Set the jar aside in a dark dry place for two weeks, rolling and shaking the
rice around in the jar every day.

Uses:
Use in sachets, drawer liners, shoe fresheners, closet fresheners, door draft stoppers, etc.

I am making shoe freshners for My sisters husband! Thats a good guy gift I think....

Niamh
October 15th, 2001, 10:46 AM
That's a fabulous idea, and fairly cheap! Often, when I make sachets, they are full of petals, leaves, etc. Which can get a little pricey if I don't have what I really want around the house.

This is a fantastic idea, and I think I will go try it right now!

Reeny
October 31st, 2001, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by Yvonne Thomas
One of your more versital crafts is Bread Dough Orniments you can use it to make any type of thing and they are so cute. For your friends that like to make homemade cakes or cookies but don't have much time you can do a cake in a jar they can be really fun to do. For women who enjoy relaxing you can get a basket and fill it with homemade soaps, bath oils, bath salts and bubble bath. Don't forget some nice candles. If you have friends with fireplaces then scented pinecone firestarters are nice.

Yvonne, you always have such wonderful craft and recipe ideas!

Xois
October 31st, 2001, 04:20 PM
are you doing brewing?!

I would love to see some recipies

Xois
October 31st, 2001, 04:23 PM
My friend gave me some Habenero Peppers...from his garden...they are the HOTTEST things on the planet and I can't really cook with them...much to hot...

I have 2 friends who really like to cook so I am taking the peppers, seeded and washed and cut into chunks and soaking them in canola oil to make Habenero Oil for them...I'll make a nice lable on my puter and get nice bottles...

Probably I'll make 1 bottle of Habenero and 1 bottle of a sweet oil (like sage or rosemary) for each of them!

Niamh
November 6th, 2001, 05:28 PM
I went on a spree at Michael's and bought some of the hollow glass tree ornaments. Some I marbelized :
pour about three different color craft paints inside and lay ornament on it's side (if you didn't but a tray full, rest them on a cup). Turn the ornament a full quarter about every five minutes, so the inside is coated completely and the colors run together. I usually do a full two or three rotations.
Next, drain the paint out of the ornament.
Once the paint is drained out, lay them back on their sides and continue to rotate every so often of the next few days.
They're really beautiful!
I also bought some glass paint that I'll do something fun with!

seawitch
November 6th, 2001, 08:59 PM
today i ordered 20 sun ornaments at the ceramic shop. i am going to clean and glaze them in golds , yellows , and oranges. i can't hardly wait! i also ordered 20 teardrop shaped ones that i'll do in more traditional colors. it was much cheaper than buying store bought, and i get what i want.

for gifts all the ladies are getting the oily salty body scrub. from the bath thread. in thier favorite scent . i am going to make a huge batch and scent each jar individualy.

thats all i can think about now thanks for posting this thread

Sita
November 13th, 2001, 08:02 PM
this year I am making mostly all handmade stuff. First I will be making these really cute fimo dragons. I will also be making bath beads, homemade soap, bath truffles, good ol' fashoned candels and small books.....

I want to make more stuff but first i need the ideas....

MistOfTheSea86
November 18th, 2001, 05:12 PM
I am gonna decorate my first Yule Log

MammaStar
November 18th, 2001, 10:42 PM
I went to the local craft shop today. I'm so proud of myself. I actually spent within my budget!!!! Of course, I still need a few more things, so I'll be heading back.

Today I bought some beeswax, little votive holders, and puffy paint.

I'm going to make votive candles out of the beeswax and paint little designs on the holders.

I'm also planning on making soaps and wire bracelts for my 2 sis-in-laws, mom, best friend and another friend.

*Whew*

It's a lot to do, but so much fun! BTW, the soaps I plan on making were taken from a thread here on MW!

Siren
November 18th, 2001, 10:56 PM
I suck....i have no creative energies in me....so sad so sad....

anyway.....

i did make applesauce and cinnamon ornaments one year...they smell yummy!!!!!

so i may do those again.....

seawitch
November 18th, 2001, 11:04 PM
i went and checked on the ceramic ornaments they will be done pouring them this week. i think this will be fun :bubbles:
can't wait!

dragonwyfe
November 21st, 2001, 07:49 AM
a noncrafty friend of mine-built her own Harley though- cut up a glade airfreshener cone- put it in cubes in a jelly jar-mason type -took out the metal (top) insert- hot glued a square of netting inside metal along the edges of top hole not threads and then screwed the top down over it. Betcha that would work for Yvonne's craft too.

Faery-Wings
November 24th, 2001, 10:04 AM
Ahhh, so many ideas and so little time. :)

I am going to make some soaps and bath salts. But now Yvonne has me thinking about the air freshener gels...

My kids make something every year for the family- usually painted ornaments or a hand print wreath or similar. This year I am stuck.

*thinking*

Yup, still stuck. :)

Chris

dragonwyfe
November 24th, 2001, 10:26 AM
find your niche. I donot design but I am always busy. A woman on line called Woodmouse-told me about a really weird craft. Take 60 grit sand paper and draw a design on it-with crayons. I found the heavy kindergarten ones best to use. Color heavily- and I found out on my own IF you do color on top of color - that you get a nice layered effect-I made the 2nd and 3rd color a little off center so you see the orig color as well. Wash & dry a new t shirt WITHOUT fabric softner. Take the clean t and put it on a tshirt board same as if you were going to paint the shirt. Place the design face down against the t shirt and cover the back of the sandpaper with plain white paper. Iron with a hot dry iron.
Think about maybe a holiday tree - you can add glittered fabric paint dots for lights and garland. You can get flat backed gems to glue on with fabric ornaments and outline them with fabric paint. Helps hold them on. Paint takes a few days to dry ...
Make sure that you wash this in cold water inside out and let air not machine dry whenever you wash it. For awhile anyway, wash alone.:D

oskila
November 25th, 2001, 10:58 AM
I'm knitting (it's actually called knitting) chainmail jewellry

dragonwyfe
November 25th, 2001, 01:23 PM
do you bead it as you go along? I have knit with copper wire before- I intend to use the cuffs on my wand that I am making-but beaded after not during...so wondered if any one had had experiance beading during...:)

oskila
November 26th, 2001, 03:32 AM
I'm using spring-steel rings. They are quite sturdy. (can't be opened by hand) so, to answer your question: I don't bead at all :)