PDA

View Full Version : Help Ants!!!!!

Arduinna
September 17th, 2001, 11:44 AM
Oh no, ants are using my house as a shortcut. They come in through the garage, go through the house and out to the back yard???

There is nothing in the house they seem attracted too. I think they have a nest in the neighbors, because my hubby saw a trail of them coming from next door.

I am loathe to use pesticides, especially with my dogs and cat ect. They have done this before in the summer, and I thought they just wanted out of the heat. They leave once it cools off outside. But there's alot of them this time.

Anyone have any nontoxic tips??????

HELP!!!!!!!

Myst
September 17th, 2001, 12:01 PM
Eek wish I did. I just use the old can of raid or hidden ant traps... my cats and dog seem to leave them alone and not have a problem, but I can understand your concern... so good luck...

I've heard that they hate vinegar, and tabasco sauce, so maybe you could make a wash with those? I know I've seen some recipes online for this stuff - have you done a search?

Lavender
September 17th, 2001, 12:45 PM
Ants follow scent trails. They seem to have laid a trail through your house! :) You can try sprinkling strong scented herbs & spices to hide their old trail. Wash the area well & sprinkle powdered cloves around the entrance & exit. You may have to do this for a few days.

Swanspirit
September 17th, 2001, 01:50 PM
household ammonia ......... gets rid of ants like a "charm" ........ my mother used it for years and taught me...... just pour it generously where they are "trailing" and like magic NO MORE ants ...........
HUGS
Swannie

Arduinna
September 17th, 2001, 11:21 PM
Thanks for the suggestions! I'll try them, hope they go away soon!

michellef
September 18th, 2001, 03:45 AM
I sympathise Arduinna, we had ants not so long ago. I found that placing a lavender plant near their point of entry persuaded them to keep away. Hope it helps

BB
Michelle

Myst
October 29th, 2001, 01:26 AM
Oops the ants revisited! I made a floor wash with lemon oil and lavendar oil, mint extract, garlic, vinegar, and citronella. Wish me luck! :)

Lavender
October 29th, 2001, 02:00 PM
Luck! :D

Demeter
October 29th, 2001, 03:57 PM
If you know where the anthill is they're coming from, pile used coffee grounds on top of it and around it. They will abandon that entrance. You can also leave boric acid/sugar baits or dried instant grits near the anthills. The boric acid will poison them. The instant grits swell up in their stomachs and kill them.

Every day, mop up the area they're using for a highway. If you keep eliminating their scent trails, they may find a different way to go! (As a matter of fact, if you can find a way to lead them out of the garage directly, they may lay down a new trail and avoid your house).

Methanespirit
October 30th, 2001, 08:34 AM
I use "Hot Shot", ant and roach killer. It is non-toxic to most animals, and is made from flowers, It can be purchased at most any grocery store, (comes in a red spray can) and contains no CFCs'. Also, scalding hot water will instantly kill any insect -even fleas.

Myst
October 30th, 2001, 08:36 AM
I'll look for that Methanespirit.

We ran out of bug spray but vinegar really seems to get them too. Also mopping repeatedly - that's a great idea, I'll be doing that. We had a few again yesterday and today but not as many as before so I think we're making progress. We also put down an ant bait.

Arduinna
October 30th, 2001, 11:24 AM
Good Luck with your ants Myst.

Ours have slowed down, since it has cooled off. I got desperate after trying the pyrethrum flowers, and broke down and bought some spray. It wasn't a permanant cure though.

Hopefully we will move before next summer, and I won't have to geal with this again.

Thanks for all the great tips.

wyshbringer
November 5th, 2001, 02:27 PM
Ants won't cross a chalk line and they also don't like copper. I would draw a chalk line in the garage and place some pennys around the entrance where you see them comming in.

Hope this helps

Wyshbringer

Nyx
November 5th, 2001, 02:50 PM
It must be ant season because we have them too! In the bathrooms, in my bedroom, and in the kitchen. I constantly wipe down the counters, floors, and pantry (at least the areas I can get at), and we vaccum regularly, but they keep coming in! We have also used baits, ammonia, even windex, and nothing seems to be working. I do not want to use sprays since the ants tend to concentrate themselves in the kitchen and I don't want to make anybody sick. The main problem is we can't get to where they are coming in from, since it's behind the stove, which is bolted down.
Is that "Hot Shot" spray safe for use in the kitchen?

~~Nyx~~

Lavender
November 5th, 2001, 03:35 PM
Ants usually keep two nest...a wet nest and a dry nest. Look around outside & see if they're coming through the walls from outside.

Nyx
November 5th, 2001, 05:35 PM
we're three stories up, so, it's kinda hard to check all our outside walls. (It is a very good idea though!)
We have noticed, however, at ground level, a huge clump of nest down around the laundry room. (almost directly underneath us) The nests are being aggrevated by close construction, and the matience people refuse to spray. :(
From what I hear, ants are a very common problem here. They come back every year despite past attempts to get rid of them.
Looks like we may have to take matters into our own hands and go spray the little buggers ourselves.

~~Nyx~~

Lavender
November 5th, 2001, 05:59 PM
We have a huge problem with them too each year. They would swarm every summer & then the remaining ones would be managable. I don't mind them as long as they stay in the garden. If you're 3 floors up & you're having problems, they may be living in the walls. It's going to be harder to control that. I would be interested to hear how everything works out.

Cinnamon Girl
September 3rd, 2002, 08:05 PM
bump!

'Cause unfortunately, we have an ant problem! Argh and ick! They are little tiny ones but no less aggravating! I came home tonight to find the cats' food bowl full of them and they're also in the bedroom, bathroom and living room. I am also hesitant to use anything that might also harm the cats but want these things outta here! We live in a slab house (no basement just a little 'crawlspace' I guess is the word) so I think they may actually be coming from under the house.

I've been mopping with Clorox but that seems to only keep them away temporarily. I also can't figure out what's attracting them. Does using vinegar or regular ammonia (where would you buy that) make the house stink? I may have to make a trip to the store to stock up on anti-ant items. :smash: :uzi:

Myst or Arduinna ~ Were you able to get rid of your ants once and for all?

Any new tips or advice would be appreciated!

ARRRGGGGHHH! I HATE BUGS!!! :mad: :meanface: :flamer:

kblackthorne
September 3rd, 2002, 10:57 PM
As others have said, if you destroy their scent-trail, they will not go.

I've heard many strong-scented herbs recommended for this purpose over the years, but my personal choice is black-pepper.

It smells strong, and the scent doesn't fade as quickly as, say, cloves.

Make a circle around your cat's dish. They won't (can't) cross the pepper to reach the food. Do it around the trash, too.

Draw a line across your threshhold and window-sills. Make a "line" of pepper down the center of scotch-tape, and tape around electrical outlets.

With a sever problem, when I was living on an upper-story, we had little strips of pepper-tape all around the door, all around the windows, around every outlet, and poured pepper into a couple floor-level cracks that were suspicious.

It doesn't take much, so our house didn't smell. But we finally "conquered" the ants!

kblackthorne
September 3rd, 2002, 10:58 PM
Amonia works to kill ants because the fumes kill them. (Bug-fanciers use it to smother insects without crushing the bodies.)

However, in my experience, once I stop smelling it, the ants stop smelling it.

I have used it as a relatively-safe incecticide, though.

FelixFire
September 4th, 2002, 02:59 PM
I've had an infestation lately too...

I tried Grant's Ant stakes, and the Raid ant bait, and neither worked! Bummer...Grant's used to always work for me. :(

But I tried a recipe I found online, and it seems to be working! I had ants in the kitchen, livingroom, office and laundry room, now I just find an occasional rouge in the kitchen. It's been just under 2 weeks!

Simply:
1 part sugar
1 part peanut butter
1 part boric acid
~all mooshed together

Just be careful that you put it where your pets can't get to it. I had ants eating the cat food in the laundry room, so I took a little metal tin that some hard candy had came in and made a little bait-trap out of it. I just put the gook in there, taped the lid down with some duct tape (no way the cats can open that bugger!), and then used a nail to poke little ant-sized holes along the very bottom. Ta-daa! Cat proof ant bait! :) The rest I just set inside bottle caps inside my (baby and cat proof) cupboards around in the kitchen.

For boric acid, by the way, I just bought Borax at the local Safeway. Seems to be working! :)

Cinnamon Girl
September 4th, 2002, 11:12 PM
Thanks for the black pepper idea, kblackthorne! The cats won't like it either so I don't have to worry about them. :)

FelixFire, that's a nifty homemade ant-bait ~ I may have to try that as well! By the way, what's a rouge? :huh:

Witchy Cowgirl
September 5th, 2002, 12:02 AM
I haven't tried the black pepper.
I tried red pepper.
It just slowed them down but didn't get rid of them.

st0rm
September 5th, 2002, 03:22 AM
try cinnamon...

FelixFire
September 5th, 2002, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by MoonOwl
By the way, what's a rouge? :huh:

I call those lone wandering ants "rogues". It means a lot of different things...

Here, dictionary.com says it better than I can, LOL

n.
1. An unprincipled, deceitful, and unreliable person; a scoundrel or rascal.
2. One who is playfully mischievous; a scamp.
3. A wandering beggar; a vagrant.
4. A vicious and solitary animal, especially an elephant that has separated itself from its herd.
5. An organism, especially a plant, that shows an undesirable variation from a standard.

adj.
1. Vicious and solitary. Used of an animal, especially an elephant.
2. Large, destructive, and anomalous or unpredictable: a rogue wave; a rogue tornado.
3. Operating outside normal or desirable controls: “How could a single rogue trader bring down an otherwise profitable and well-regarded institution?” (Saul Hansell).

I guess they're actually scouts - looking for stuff to lead the rest of the workers to.

Cinnamon Girl
September 5th, 2002, 05:39 PM
I call those lone wandering ants "rogues". It means a lot of different things...Oh! A rogue! :lol:

Well, that explains the mixup! I thought maybe a rouge was some strange red insect!

:p

FelixFire
September 6th, 2002, 10:34 AM
Whoops! *blush*

I didn't realize what I'd written!!

Yes, rogue, not rouge, hehehe... *imaginging pink ants*...just what I need! :lol: