PDA

View Full Version : Crocheting Help Needed!

Lilith Morgaine
January 4th, 2005, 11:42 PM
I taught myself how to crochet (as I do everything else) and find it hard to do *any* projects because I don't know the "lingo", etc.... anyone else like this? Any advice or simple projects to try? :whatgives

wolf
January 4th, 2005, 11:51 PM
Scarves are a great way to get started, and a good way to make a project out of what is essentially a pattern swatch!

Most take only one or two skeins of yarn. You can switch colors, stitch with more than one thread, and so on.

Start with a stitch that you are comfortable with ... double crochets work up really fast, so they are a good choice. Make a chain as wide as you want the scarf. (you can also do it the full length of the scarf, but I prefer doing rows across the width because of the sense of accomplishment you get from finishing the row!)

Add two extra extra chains. Turn. Make your first double crochet in the third chain from the hook. continue across to end.

Make three chains at end of the row and turn.

Your first stitch of the next row goes into the SECOND double crochet from the beginning chain. (if you do it into the first double crochet you will be increasing one stitch on each row without wanting to do so.

Your last dc of each row will be made into the turning chain.

just keep going!!! (until you either run out of yarn, or you're at the length you want.)

If you have more specific crochet questions, please feel free to PM or email me. I've been crocheting for years and have a closet full of crocheted afghans, scarves, and a really cool pentacle altar cloth.

Linx
January 4th, 2005, 11:56 PM
beg = begin
bl(s) = back loop(s)
ch(s) = chain(s)
dc = double crochet
dec = decrease
fl(s) = front loop(s)
hdc = half double crochet
inc = increase
lp(s) = loop(s)
patt = pattern
prev = previous
rem = remain(ing)
rep = repeat(ing)
rnd(s) = round(s)
sc = single crochet
sk = skip
sl = slip
sl st(s) = slip stitch(es)
sp(s) = space(s)
st(s) = stitch(es)
Tch = turning chain
tog = together
trc = triple crochet(s)
YO = yarn over

Shatril
January 4th, 2005, 11:57 PM
Here is a site that may help. I checked it out and it has the basics.

http://crochet.about.com/library/blbeginners.htm

Lilith Morgaine
January 5th, 2005, 12:43 AM
Scarves are a great way to get started, and a good way to make a project out of what is essentially a pattern swatch!

Most take only one or two skeins of yarn. You can switch colors, stitch with more than one thread, and so on.

Start with a stitch that you are comfortable with ... double crochets work up really fast, so they are a good choice. Make a chain as wide as you want the scarf. (you can also do it the full length of the scarf, but I prefer doing rows across the width because of the sense of accomplishment you get from finishing the row!)

Add two extra extra chains. Turn. Make your first double crochet in the third chain from the hook. continue across to end.

Make three chains at end of the row and turn.

Your first stitch of the next row goes into the SECOND double crochet from the beginning chain. (if you do it into the first double crochet you will be increasing one stitch on each row without wanting to do so.

Your last dc of each row will be made into the turning chain.

just keep going!!! (until you either run out of yarn, or you're at the length you want.)

If you have more specific crochet questions, please feel free to PM or email me. I've been crocheting for years and have a closet full of crocheted afghans, scarves, and a really cool pentacle altar cloth. I guess things aren't as bad as I thought.... I've made 4 blankets and 3 scarves... I wanted to try socks or a hat or something like that.... *but* I don't speak "crochetese".....:nuhuh:

wolf
January 5th, 2005, 12:49 AM
And you call yourself a beginner still? You're well on the way!!

If you feel comfortable, you might try playing with some of the novelty yarns like the eyelash or fun fur types from Bernat ...

Get a good stitch directory too ... that will lead to a lot of interesting things to play with and teach you a lot of really cool creative stitches.

Learning pattern reading is actually really easy, and opens up a lot of new horizons for projects. Lion Brand yarns has a lot of great free printable patterns on their website, as do most of the other yarn manufacturers.

Once you get comfortable with worsted weight yarns, try working with thread crochet and steel hooks. Making doilies (I do NOT have a doily lifestyle) is very meditative ... like creating a mandala in thread.

Lilith Morgaine
January 6th, 2005, 12:17 PM
:bumpsmili

Shatril
January 8th, 2005, 12:56 PM
I see this is still here, what specifically do you need. We have given you the crocheteze that you requested, but you seem to want more. Give us the specific phrases and we will put them in language that you might understand.

shatril

*Rain*
January 8th, 2005, 01:05 PM
I also found it incredibly difficult to follow patterns when I first learnt.

There are quite literally hundreds of patterns here and some of them are quite simple so maybe you can find something easy to start with.

http://home.inreach.com/marthac/links.html

The more you get used to reading patterns the more they start to make sense.

Lilith Morgaine
January 8th, 2005, 01:09 PM
ok... a pattern for a winter hat... I have a lot of trouble with circular thigns

Shatril
January 8th, 2005, 02:57 PM
ok... a pattern for a winter hat... I have a lot of trouble with circular thigns
Yeah that one isn't easy. I always lost track of where one row ends and another begins. makes for bad circles.

Lilith Morgaine
January 8th, 2005, 07:23 PM
Yeah that one isn't easy. I always lost track of where one row ends and another begins. makes for bad circles.
Anyone have any tips on how to conquer a circular pattern? :ggrief:

aura_reincarnation
January 11th, 2005, 05:55 PM
hello!i am new to crocheting myself.i just learned how to double crochet ( i think thats what im doing! lol )but i would like to learn more easy stitches!if you could help me please email me or let me know here or in a message!ty

KEishin
January 11th, 2005, 06:04 PM
Circular patterns are actually easier than you think. :)

When I was first learning I woud tie a bright, contrasting strand of yarn to the first stitch in the row (instead of a plastic stitch marker) and slip stitch it the beginning of each row so I could keep track. When the project was complete, I would rmeove the marker.

As you get better at crocheting, you'll be able to see where each stitch begins and ends, therefore counting them.

Hope that helps!
Keishin

KEishin
January 11th, 2005, 06:06 PM
There are only 5 basic stitches in crochet: sc, ss, dc, tc and hdc. Everything else a combination of these stitches. (sc= single crochet, ss= slip stitch, dc = double crochet, tc = treble crochet, hdc = half-double crochet)

Check out basic sites for crocheting and you should find pictures of others

Lilith Morgaine
January 11th, 2005, 07:03 PM
Circular patterns are actually easier than you think. :)

When I was first learning I woud tie a bright, contrasting strand of yarn to the first stitch in the row (instead of a plastic stitch marker) and slip stitch it the beginning of each row so I could keep track. When the project was complete, I would rmeove the marker.

As you get better at crocheting, you'll be able to see where each stitch begins and ends, therefore counting them.

Hope that helps!
Keishin
Could you possibly draw a pic of what you mean and post it? I'm having a hard time visualizing it

halfwaynowhere
January 12th, 2005, 06:51 PM
my grandma taught me how to crochet when i was 4, but i had to teach myself how to understand patterns on my own... I basically invent my own patterns for things, its easier... i make beanies pretty well now, most patterns will tell you to start from the top and work your way down, but i find it much easier to work backwards... make a chain that goes around your head, slip stitch it, chain 2, dc(double crochet) around, ch 2, turn, repeat until its about 4 inches wide, and then start skipping every sixth stitch, just keep trying it on your head to make sure you aren't closing it off too soon. as you get closer to the top, skip every fourth stitch, every third stitch, every other stitch.. your first few might look kind of funny when laid flat, but when its on, it should look fun. if you don't understand part of this, let me know, and i'll try to explain it better...

wolf
January 12th, 2005, 10:31 PM
Anyone have any tips on how to conquer a circular pattern?

Stitch markers. Just lay a piece of contrasting color thread in the beginning stitch of the row, and when you get back to it, you're done, join and make beginning chain of next row.

You can also use a safety pin, or commercial stitch markers. Make sure you get crochet ones, which are split rings.

Knitting stich markers are solid rings that go on the needle ... once you crochet those in, they don't come out.

Although, she said slyly, there might be other project ideas you could use those for ...

Lilith Morgaine
March 27th, 2005, 10:17 PM
Stitch markers. Just lay a piece of contrasting color thread in the beginning stitch of the row, and when you get back to it, you're done, join and make beginning chain of next row.

You can also use a safety pin, or commercial stitch markers. Make sure you get crochet ones, which are split rings.

Knitting stich markers are solid rings that go on the needle ... once you crochet those in, they don't come out.

Although, she said slyly, there might be other project ideas you could use those for ...
Who knew you could turn crocheting into something naughty, lol