PDA

View Full Version : Latex Allergies/Alternatives.

Danustouch
September 18th, 2001, 09:29 AM
As I said, I think that lambskin, combined with a spermicidal gel, or another back up method, should be effective against pregnancy. It is not however effective against STD's. There are alternatives to both the latex and the Lambskin though...read on :

dear delilah,
I've heard people can have allergic reactions to latex condoms. What are the symptoms? Is there any way around this allergy if you want to practice safe sex? Thanks in advance!
-- gloveman
dear gloveman,
Latex allergies are more common than one might think: An estimated one to 3 percent of the U.S. population is latex-sensitive. Among surgical workers, who have more frequent exposure to latex, 6 to 7 percent experience reactions from repeated latex contact.

Allergic reactions to latex can include:

skin rash

itching

hives

swollen red skin

tears

itching or burning eyes

swollen lips and tongue with difficulty breathing

wheezing

shortness of breath

dizziness

fainting

abdominal pain

nausea

diarrhea

Lambskin is one alternative to latex. While lambskin condoms are effective in pregnancy prevention, it's not clear whether they are helpful in preventing transmission of STDs. The Avanti male condoms are a more viable choice. Made of polyurethane, these condoms are very thin, very strong, can stand up to oil-based lubricants, keep longer in your back pocket, and are available in your local drugstore or for about $1.00 each. You might also want to consider the female condom as an alternative to latex. It's also made of polyurethane.

Myst
September 18th, 2001, 10:45 AM
I just found that interesting. You said lambskin is not effective, the person who said what you posted says "it's not clear". Well it's not clear that latex is effective against STDs either anymore.

Here's a good page for different kinds of contraception, I think we should be responsible for doing more homework as far as this goes.

http://www.io.com/~wwwomen/contraception/

Danustouch
September 18th, 2001, 11:44 AM
Exactly Willow...which is why I did the research this morning, and posted this link. When I first posted about lambskin, it was based on what I had learned in Sex-ed class...mannnnnnnnnyyyyyyy moons ago. LOL. So...i posted these articles as a follow up, basically admitting that I don't have all the answers...that I'm learning more every day, too.

Twilight Garden
September 20th, 2001, 12:01 AM
Great site, Willow. Very informative. Thanks!

Danustouch
December 11th, 2001, 04:02 PM
*BUMP*