PDA

View Full Version : What can I do with....

Dagda Moon~Lily
September 19th, 2001, 09:13 PM
...the little bits of left over candles? You know, you have to pull out the last 1/2 inch to an inch so it won't get stuck in the holders. What can I do with these? I hate to see good wax go to waste. Of course, they are all different colors too. Any suggestions??

flar7
September 19th, 2001, 11:03 PM
my advice is to ask semele. I believe she may have the answers.

if not melt em and reform em. or slightly melt and sculpt with them.(you'd have to form them together)

Make hamster candles! :)

Maggie
September 19th, 2001, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by Dagda Moon~Lily
...the little bits of left over candles? You know, you have to pull out the last 1/2 inch to an inch so it won't get stuck in the holders. What can I do with these? I hate to see good wax go to waste. Of course, they are all different colors too. Any suggestions??

I sort them out by light medium and dark colors, then melt them down with a darker dye and fragrance. It does work for every day use just fine.

Regards,

Maggie

Lavender
September 20th, 2001, 12:12 AM
Or you can make stain glass windows with them. Shave the stumps. Draw out a simple design on white sheet of paper. Keep in mind the colour candles you have. Place a piece of wax paper on top & fill the designs the the candle shavings. Put another piece of wax paper on top & sandwich the whole thing between an old towel or heavy cardboard. Iron at a low setting until all the wax have melted. You can cut out the design & add a nice frame. You can hang this over a window & it looks really pretty.

Hint: Don't hang it in a REALLY sunny window...at least not in the summer! :lol:

Faery-Wings
September 20th, 2001, 08:30 PM
I was wondering the same thing too. I was thinking that if I had all of the right colors I could melt each one down and make some cool chakra colored votives. Lets see if I get the time to do that ha ha!

Chris

Dagda Moon~Lily
September 20th, 2001, 10:32 PM
Unfortunately, some of the excess candle wax I have is from gift candles that were color dipped, they aren't colored all the way through. :( I'm afraid if I melted the wax down to make candles, they'd be mud brown! lol

Yvonne Belisle
September 21st, 2001, 01:20 AM
Cut them into chunks then get a mold of some sort even a cardboard milk carton will work. put in your wick put in your chunks then pour uncolored wax in to fill up the spaces. They make interesting candles.

Illuminatus
September 21st, 2001, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by Dagda Moon~Lily

I used to feed them into other candles, we made some pretty neat looking stuff that way. Toilet paper coated in wax (not too thick) makes a good artificial wick.

Armitage
September 21st, 2001, 07:05 PM
You could get a signet or emblem and use them as wax-sealers.

Jewlz
September 22nd, 2001, 03:31 AM
You can make candles with one main melted colour eg white and add chunks of all your left over candles so the candle is a big mixture of colours. You can also make a mould shap out of sand and the hot wax picks up a really pretty outer coat of sand (and that way it doesnt mater what colour the wax is) and then you can carve ruins or whatever through the sand layer! You can also make shell candles by putting the wick and wax in a shell make sure you keep it upright! Generally if you make a candle with a round bottom and wider top it floats in water! I hope you have lots of crafty fun! ^_^
Jewlz

Dagda Moon~Lily
September 22nd, 2001, 09:39 AM
Those are some great ideas! Thank you!

I do have a question for Armitage. I've never made wax sealers, how do I go about this? Just form it like a thick stick, kind of like the glue sticks you can buy? ....then just take a lighter to the end of it when I want to use it? (I've never used wax sealers either) This sounds FAB! Thanks!

Jewls, I love the sand and shell candle idea! Thanks!

Armitage
September 22nd, 2001, 03:23 PM
I guess that'd be how it worked, never did it myself. :D

Shalinor
September 26th, 2001, 03:43 PM
Make a wax stick, hold it over a candle/lighter for a sec, press onto paper. Press the signet into it, etc.