PDA

View Full Version : Homosexuality/Hermaphroditism and History.

Danustouch
September 20th, 2001, 09:29 AM
Many cultures, throughout history, including the early Vedic Histories, put a high emphasis on Homosexuality/hermaphroditism, and uniting the yin/yang principles within humans. Indeed, the God/Goddess Shiva/Shakti is evidence of this. I've also heard that many Native American tribes had Shamans who were much like eunuchs, dressing in womens clothes, and acting like Women. They were considered very Holy. Do any of you have any links about this? Have you studied this phenomena? What are your thoughts concerning the "balancing of yin/yang energy" and it's benefits to humankind?

Shalinor
September 26th, 2001, 04:06 PM
I can comment on at least one part:

Many Native Americans (and other similar societies - I believe quite a few of the South American tribes had like practices) believed transsexuals to be powerful beyond others. It was thought that the male/female duality allowed them to generate a greater deal of power on their own, etc. They thus reverred these people, and the transsexuals often became the shamans or medicine men/women. For male to female, they designed a saddle meant to, well, crush the dickin's out of the male anatomy. The transsexual was to ride in that saddle for a period of days, and the ride took the form of something like a vision question (and of course it did, you can only imagine the pain they went through ;) ). When the transsexual returned, she was simply treated as a woman - period. Obviously, they were never able to bear children, but they could wed and live just as any other female. I've never heard research on female to male, which means either it was less common, or just simpler (eg. dress the genetic female as a male, vs long painful ride to crush anatomy).

BrightStar
September 26th, 2001, 05:28 PM
Hi all!
The Cheyenne tribe had what was known as a bedarche.This was a person who was born male and became female.They were very respected.It was thought they had strong medicine,and were often a shaman.Homosexuals were also tolerated by this tribe,treated well.These people were seen as touched by the Gods.The Gods had made them special,and that was to be revered and appreciated.
Now,not all tribes felt this way.In some tribes homosexuals and transexuals were persecuted or killed.So Native American views on this subject are somewhat divergent.
The Greeks had the God/Goddess Hermaphrodite.He was the child of Hermes and Aphrodite.He merged with the nymph Salmacis,forming one bisexual body.
Peace and Love
BrightStar

Danustouch
September 27th, 2001, 12:31 PM
Thank you very much for that info shalinor and bright. Interesting theories/practices..but..OUCH!!!!!!!!!! LOL.

Tigerwallah
September 27th, 2001, 09:08 PM
says that as your soul progresses throughout it's lifetimes, the line between masculine and feminine become blurry. Therefor, a person of equal masculinity and feminity would be believed to have a very old soul.

Danustouch
October 5th, 2001, 01:28 PM
Makes Sense to Me, Tiger!

MistOfTheSea86
October 7th, 2001, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by Tigerwallah
says that as your soul progresses throughout it's lifetimes, the line between masculine and feminine become blurry. Therefor, a person of equal masculinity and feminity would be believed to have a very old soul.

hehe thats sounds exactly like me;)

Xander67
October 8th, 2001, 02:18 AM
interesting ideas here , but i have to say that I LOVE WOMEN and feel they deserve nothing but praise love and happiness...

a bit OT but I just am not attracted to men in that way LOL

;)

story
October 25th, 2001, 11:46 AM
were they chosen by the tribe or was it a personal choice? I've heard both.....

Danustouch
October 25th, 2001, 12:33 PM
I've heard personal choice..but I don't know for sure.

Demeter
October 29th, 2001, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by Shalinor
I can comment on at least one part:

Many Native Americans (and other similar societies - I believe quite a few of the South American tribes had like practices) believed transsexuals to be powerful beyond others. It was thought that the male/female duality allowed them to generate a greater deal of power on their own, etc. They thus reverred these people, and the transsexuals often became the shamans or medicine men/women. For male to female, they designed a saddle meant to, well, crush the dickin's out of the male anatomy. The transsexual was to ride in that saddle for a period of days, and the ride took the form of something like a vision question (and of course it did, you can only imagine the pain they went through ;) ). When the transsexual returned, she was simply treated as a woman - period. Obviously, they were never able to bear children, but they could wed and live just as any other female. I've never heard research on female to male, which means either it was less common, or just simpler (eg. dress the genetic female as a male, vs long painful ride to crush anatomy).

If the tradition of crushing the testacles this way is true (I admit that I haven't made an exhaustive study of Indian lore, but this is the first I've heard of this kind of mutilation), it was a relatively new tradition, introduced in the last few hundred years -- remember that horses were introduced only after the Spanish colonized the Americas. For many generations prior to that, the Plains Indians had no horses -- hence no saddles. Crushing of that sort, in any event, would have lead to gangrene and a worse death rate than the Chinese process of making eunuchs -- not a way to treat your holy men!