PDA

View Full Version : Book Club Selection for Febuary 2005

Shatril
January 14th, 2005, 12:51 AM
OK, I'm posting this poll to see which book we should start discussing next. I think we should leave this poll run for two weeks, and then make the decision based on the votes. Two weeks after that we can start the discussion of the first 1/4 of the book we chose, and every two weeks do 1/4 of the book until finished.

I see that several suggestions have already been thrown out for possibilities, so I will include these on the poll.

Shatril

Shatril
January 15th, 2005, 10:42 AM
:bumpsmili

If we don't get more response than this, I'm just gonna drop the attempt due to lack of interest. Come on join the fun! :bouncybob I'm excited about this, but want to play nicely with others, I hate to be alone. :steppy: :hugz:

Shatril
January 15th, 2005, 05:58 PM
This is more like it. More, more, more.

GreenCrone
January 15th, 2005, 06:03 PM
:bumpsmili

If we don't get more response than this, I'm just gonna drop the attempt due to lack of interest. Come on join the fun! :bouncybob I'm excited about this, but want to play nicely with others, I hate to be alone. :steppy: :hugz:

I had the same problem, lots of lookers, but not to many takers. But I'm with ya if you decided to keep trying. Come on all you book lovers, vote, read and talk about it. _pounce_

Shatril
January 15th, 2005, 06:06 PM
I had the same problem, lots of lookers, but not to many takers. But I'm with ya if you decided to keep trying. Come on all you book lovers, vote, read and talk about it. _pounce_

Well I'm just gonna try, and did you vote for your selection yet? I thought the Everyday Sun Magic would be good, it is cheap, and the author is an MW frequent poster, so we can get her input for this. She is really cool!!!! As far as I'm concerned you and I can just do this for ourselves. What Ya say? We are contemporaries, it would be fun.

Shatril
January 16th, 2005, 12:41 AM
Looking again

Shatril
January 16th, 2005, 09:41 AM
I don't know, it sort of looks like the Everyday Sun Magic is leaping ahead here. We'll see how it looks at the end.

GreenCrone
January 16th, 2005, 06:01 PM
Well I'm just gonna try, and did you vote for your selection yet? I thought the Everyday Sun Magic would be good, it is cheap, and the author is an MW frequent poster, so we can get her input for this. She is really cool!!!! As far as I'm concerned you and I can just do this for ourselves. What Ya say? We are contemporaries, it would be fun.

Yup I voted and for Everyday Sun Magic. I've never read anything by her but that won't stop me. You've had alot of lookers, outside of you and me, maybe you'll get more voters before the two weeks is up on the poll. And if it ends up just you and me that okay, but it would be nice if the club had alot more people in the discussion :huddle:

Shatril
January 18th, 2005, 06:29 PM
Hey anyone else want to join the Book Club?

RubyRose
January 19th, 2005, 01:21 AM
Davinci code. Maybe a discussion will get me interested in reading this book.

~Anamorata~
January 19th, 2005, 02:24 AM
Started the DaVinci Code...man, is it ever slow reading!

Shatril
January 19th, 2005, 07:55 AM
I like the DaVinci Code. However, I am a voracious reader, and I even do books on tape while I drive. I think this is one of the books on tape thing I do. So I have no problem with doing this book again. It is actually a really weird scenario once you get into it I think you will like it. It's a neck 'n neck race now for the books. We need more participants and votes. The poll will close so and then we are locked in with the book. However, I think we will make the runner up the next book we read.

Shatril

RubyRose
January 19th, 2005, 08:57 AM
Go Davinci Code ... :lol: as much as I love learning, non-fiction to me isn't really motivating reading material. But on the upside, at least its one I haven't read, so it could be worse.

Shatril
January 19th, 2005, 09:30 AM
Ruby, the DaVinci Code is a murder mystery, not an educational book. It is based on a theory that isn't fiction, but the book is pure fiction. So get motivated darling.

Shatril

earthprincess
January 19th, 2005, 10:56 AM
YAY!!!!!!!!! a book club i always wanted to be in one!!!!!!!! i know im a dork.... well i voted for everyday sun magic it was between that and davinci code... so how does this whole thing work?

Lilith Morgaine
January 19th, 2005, 11:58 AM
I've been wanting to read The DaVinci Code FOREVER!!!!

Madjek
January 19th, 2005, 12:48 PM
I've heard nothing but great things about The DaVinci Code so I voted for it. I want to see what all the fuss is about. I also heard the "Angels and Demons" is actually the prequel to it.

Akhkharu Asgard
January 19th, 2005, 03:27 PM
I'll join up if Davinci wins. I've never read it. Then again, i'll probably do it for whatever wins. I love to read, but I never get to talk about what I read with anyone else.

Lilith Morgaine
January 19th, 2005, 03:49 PM
I'll join up if Davinci wins.
DITTO!

Shatril
January 20th, 2005, 07:49 PM
well we may have to do both, cuz they are running neck 'n neck still.

Of course, I know this is a real hardship for all you book lovers. HEHEHEHE.

Shatril
January 20th, 2005, 07:57 PM
YAY!!!!!!!!! a book club i always wanted to be in one!!!!!!!! i know im a dork.... well i voted for everyday sun magic it was between that and davinci code... so how does this whole thing work?

Well we read a section of the book, and then discuss our thoughts on the book. Believe me these books are quite thought provoking all of them. I chose them because of their entertainment value, as well as their food for thought. The Secret Life of Bees is one of my friends favorite books, and from what she has told me it is great food for thought for pagans. DaVinci Code I have read, and it still has my mind whirling after 3 months; I'm ready to read it again. Everyday Sun Magic is by an author that has a forum on MW and can certainly give her input when we do her book; I thought this would be extra fun. The Clutter Clearing wiht Feng Shui is very ritualistic from what I can see from the review and editor logs; it is something that several of my friends use regularly. They all hold lots of interest for the pagan community, and they are timely.

One thing that I'd like to ask this group is should we stay with new books, or do we want to delve into some classic kinds of stuff from time to time? Are we gonna stay with basically pagan interest stuff, or explore other things.

Shatril

Lilith Morgaine
January 20th, 2005, 08:00 PM
One thing that I'd like to ask this group is should we stay with new books, or do we want to delve into some classic kinds of stuff from time to time? Are we gonna stay with basically pagan interest stuff, or explore other things.

Shatril
I have a suggestion for a future book.... Mortal Fear... or author in general Greg Iles

Shatril
January 20th, 2005, 08:02 PM
I have a suggestion for a future book.... Mortal Fear... or author in general Greg Iles

That will be part of our next poll then. Thanks for the suggestion.

Shatril

Keroberos
January 20th, 2005, 08:27 PM
I voted for the DaVinci Code because my roomate has it and it's been lying around the house begging me to read. Now's my chance to ask to borrow it. Though I certainly wouldn't mind reading both. I remember previous talk about reading two books simultaneously and having two discussions. One for fun and the other some pagan knowlege, to keep our community together and our minds sharp. Just a thought

SageWoodWitch
January 20th, 2005, 08:46 PM
I vote that we stay with pagan related books because, well we're pagan and this is a pagan site, plus I love reading them

mara
January 20th, 2005, 09:19 PM
I've so much talk about the DaVinci code..I chose it because I'd like to see what the fuss is all about, but Everyday sun Magic would be fine too..I haven't heard of the other two books.

Shatril
January 21st, 2005, 06:46 AM
I've so much talk about the DaVinci code..I chose it because I'd like to see what the fuss is all about, but Everyday sun Magic would be fine too..I haven't heard of the other two books.

Oh gosh "The Secret Life of Bees" was on the best seller list for as long as the DaVinci Code, and it may still be there. It won some book awards also. It is a great read to hear everyone tell it. It has some interesting pagan turns in it, as well as a recipe for a potion.

Shatril

RubyRose
January 21st, 2005, 11:17 AM
Ruby, the DaVinci Code is a murder mystery, not an educational book. It is based on a theory that isn't fiction, but the book is pure fiction. So get motivated darling.

Shatril

I know the DaVinci Code is fiction. I was referring to the Sun Magic book listed...

Shatril
January 21st, 2005, 11:21 AM
I know the DaVinci Code is fiction. I was referring to the Sun Magic book listed...

Doh!!!! Sorry for the gaff. Yeah that isn't fiction.

Deranged Hermit
January 21st, 2005, 02:46 PM
I voted for Everyday Sun Magic, because I've already read the Davinci Code. I'll try to participate in whatever is chosen though.

Shatril
January 21st, 2005, 07:18 PM
I voted for Everyday Sun Magic, because I've already read the Davinci Code. I'll try to participate in whatever is chosen though.

Well the fun part is the discussion. We won't be reading together anyway, so you can discuss when we all do. That is the fun of the book club. _happydanc

Shatril
January 21st, 2005, 09:08 PM
Keepin' check for new members.

halfwaynowhere
January 21st, 2005, 09:13 PM
i voted DaVinci Code because its been on my reading list for quite some time now... maybe this will give me reason to go out and get it...

Lilith Morgaine
January 22nd, 2005, 12:37 AM
One other suggestion... a "semi-Pagan" book.... very spellbinding, can't-put-it-down type of books, "The Wild Mother" by Elizabeth Cunningham (kinda hard to find so we'd have to know way in advance though... but WELL worth it)

Shatril
January 22nd, 2005, 08:51 AM
One other suggestion... a "semi-Pagan" book.... very spellbinding, can't-put-it-down type of books, "The Wild Mother" by Elizabeth Cunningham (kinda hard to find so we'd have to know way in advance though... but WELL worth it)

OH HO that sounds good. I will add that to the March list

Shatril
January 22nd, 2005, 12:59 PM
Looking for members come join the fun!

Lilith Morgaine
January 22nd, 2005, 01:36 PM
OH HO that sounds good. I will add that to the March list To check out more on Ms. Cunningham....
http://www.highvalley.org/enovels.html

Shatril
January 22nd, 2005, 02:57 PM
To check out more on Ms. Cunningham....
http://www.highvalley.org/enovels.html

Wow thanks for the info. Didn't thing to link those choices to reviews, but that will be my next way of doing this. All her books sound great!

Shatril
January 22nd, 2005, 10:56 PM
More participants needed. De more, De merrier. Vote for your choice, and join the fun.

RubyRose
January 22nd, 2005, 11:02 PM
I think this'll be a slow few days.

Shatril
January 22nd, 2005, 11:08 PM
I think this'll be a slow few days.

Why do you say that?

SageWoodWitch
January 22nd, 2005, 11:48 PM
come on everyone!!!! vote for everyday sun magic!!! i wanna read it and ive never joined a book club :reading:

Shatril
January 23rd, 2005, 09:12 AM
come on everyone!!!! vote for everyday sun magic!!! i wanna read it and ive never joined a book club :reading:

Hey SageWoodWitch, I'm really considering doing the Everyday Sun Magic or DaVinci Code next regardless of the outcome of this vote. They were tied for so long that I believe there is enough interest in them to warrent doing both. Especially the Everyday Sun Magic since Dorothy Morrison is readily available for comment on stuff for us. I'm sure that we would get a lot out of the discussions.

Shatril

Lady Jade
January 23rd, 2005, 04:47 PM
I'll play...whatever is chosen is fine, hopefully my library will have it, LOL. I voted for Everyday Sun Magic b/c I've read Davinci Code, but I could read it again if it's chosen.

Shatril
January 23rd, 2005, 07:22 PM
Sing up, Sign on, Make your choice and join the fun.

Shatril
January 24th, 2005, 07:10 AM
bump

Temptation
January 24th, 2005, 03:26 PM
I voted Da Vinci Code. Even though I've read it already, I'd love to talk about it with you guys. Besides, I worship Dan Brown like a God. :lol:

Hearthwitch
January 24th, 2005, 03:34 PM
I hadn't even thought that Dorothy Morrison could join in. That would have made a difference in my choice. I love reading and here i was trolling around and hadn't seen this. Glad I found it before it was too late to vote. I belong to another on line book club (while palying on Neopets I came across a pagan guild, joined up and ended up getting very active. Through that we started up a book club). I just recently took over that book club. We alternate each month between Pagan Fiction, Pagan Non-Fiction, and Non-Pagan Fiction. We choose best sellers and classics.
I think it would be great to have Everyday Sun Magic be the next book. Only reason I chose the DaVinci Code was because it has been on my "to read" list for ages and I had yet to buy it, so this would give me a reason. *Grins*

Keroberos
January 24th, 2005, 05:54 PM
so when are we going to start, I'm all about this bookclub thing, just wondering how it works exaclty.

Akhkharu Asgard
January 24th, 2005, 06:12 PM
It works like you wouldn't believe!

*shrugs*

Findarto
January 25th, 2005, 11:09 PM
I'm happy to say that, I voted ! :P.
Can I get a sticker now ? ;).

Shatril
January 26th, 2005, 06:42 AM
I hadn't even thought that Dorothy Morrison could join in. That would have made a difference in my choice. I love reading and here i was trolling around and hadn't seen this. Glad I found it before it was too late to vote. I belong to another on line book club (while palying on Neopets I came across a pagan guild, joined up and ended up getting very active. Through that we started up a book club). I just recently took over that book club. We alternate each month between Pagan Fiction, Pagan Non-Fiction, and Non-Pagan Fiction. We choose best sellers and classics.
I think it would be great to have Everyday Sun Magic be the next book. Only reason I chose the DaVinci Code was because it has been on my "to read" list for ages and I had yet to buy it, so this would give me a reason. *Grins*
Hey, we may just do the Everyday Sun Magic as it has clearly got lots of votes. The decision on the book will be made the day the Poll closes. Then 7 days later we start the discussion on the first part of the book. I'm glad you joined us.
Shatril

Shatril
January 27th, 2005, 09:41 PM
The time is drawing to a close. Get you vote in and join the fun.
Shatril

Shatril
January 28th, 2005, 09:21 AM
We are down to the last few days of the Poll for our next book. Come join the fun with us.
Shatril

Shatril
January 30th, 2005, 09:03 AM
Just bumping it up!

Shatril
January 30th, 2005, 09:05 AM
Hehehehehe! I see the poll closed and we are reading the DaVinci Code this month. I will start a new thread for discussion for next weekend. You don't have to wait for the weekend to post, but the goal is to start discussion then.

Lilith Morgaine
January 30th, 2005, 11:58 AM
Hehehehehe! I see the poll closed and we are reading the DaVinci Code this month. YAY!!!!!:yayhawaii :D :thewave: :clapping: :dancy: _cloud9_:fprtyman4 :fprtyman3 :thumbsup: :bouncysmi :fpompoms:rotfl::woot::fpartyman:abanana:_handclapp

Shatril
January 30th, 2005, 12:13 PM
YAY!!!!!:yayhawaii :D :thewave: :clapping: :dancy: _cloud9_:fprtyman4 :fprtyman3 :thumbsup: :bouncysmi :fpompoms:rotfl::woot::fpartyman:abanana:_handclapp

Well it's a little hard to tell, but if I read this right you're glad that we are reading the DaVinci Code.

Lilith Morgaine
January 30th, 2005, 12:14 PM
ya think? lol