PDA

View Full Version : Owls

bladeraven
January 15th, 2005, 10:04 PM
Would love to discuss about the symbolism of owls..

I think it was several weeks ago I saw an owl for the first time and it hooted twice before flying off...

this past week it hooted 5 times

and last night it was having a concert outside my window...the owl hooted 13 times (yeah I was THAT awake) before flying off..

What does this mean?? Buy earplugs???

StormVixen
January 16th, 2005, 08:13 AM
Owls are Sacred to Bloudwedd of the Celts and the Greek Athene, the owl is a classic symbol of wisdom. Feared by some cultures, which are uncomfortable with the night, owl totems help to connect with sorcery, silence and the ability to see through darkness or deception

bladeraven
January 16th, 2005, 10:17 AM
Hmm...interesting...would explain the predominance of the owl around me these past few days...after I saw the first one I caught my ex bf cheating and since then...well..re-exploring my witchy roots and really developing that level and my tarot reading....

LittleRhiannon
January 16th, 2005, 11:21 AM
Hmm...interesting...would explain the predominance of the owl around me these past few days...after I saw the first one I caught my ex bf cheating and since then...well..re-exploring my witchy roots and really developing that level and my tarot reading....

That's interesting, because Blodeuwedd was actually turned into an owl for cheating on her husband.

bladeraven
January 16th, 2005, 11:26 AM
really...hmm...nope nope..he's still all human..any records of ex boyfriends being turned into a field mouse? Maybe the owl was hungry? lol

dr_zeus440
January 17th, 2005, 03:37 PM
btw, curiouser and curiouser, the number of times the owl hoots fits into a fibonacci sequence...0, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21 etc.

initial numbers aside, the hoots are missing a number inbetween each hooting, as you may have noticed. so if, next time, it hoots 21 times...id say that your house is about to explode from a gas leak, your car will need an entirely new engine, your hair will be frizzy and unmanageable, and your family members will forget to invite you to their birthdays.

alternatively, its meaning is unrelated to numerical sequences and/or doesnt exist, and the fibonacci sequence is a coincedence. the fibonacci sequence commonly occurs in nature, anyway, so its not totally random.

and no, i learnt about the f-sequence in mathematics, not in 'the da vinci code'.

bladeraven
January 17th, 2005, 07:12 PM
LOL..gee thanks..hair is already frizzy and family already forget to invite me...lol..it was weird...now that you mention it..didn't notice that..

moonmorgan
January 18th, 2005, 09:45 AM
Hmm I just learned some new things! Cool. Here is what I found on Owls:

http://www.johnankerberg.org/Articles/_PDFArchives/new-age/NA4W0202.pdf
This is a PDF file and you will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to read it but it looks good. All about owl symbolism

http://www.thewhitegoddess.co.uk/articles/owls.html

bladeraven
January 18th, 2005, 08:18 PM
Thank you for the link..how fascinating...makes sense of why the owl was hanging around..sad to say..well other than sleepwise..that I haven't heard or seen the owl at all...

Particularly of interest was the part that said: The owl can see that which others cannot, which is the essence of true wisdom. Where others are deceived, Owl sees and knows what is there.

Use your power of keen, silent observation to intuit some life situation, Owl is befriending you and aiding you in seeing the whole truth. The Owl also brings its messages in the night through dreams or meditation. Pay attention to the signals and omens. The truth always brings further enlightenment.

I need to add this in my BOS.