PDA

View Full Version : Would you let your daughter wear this dress to prom?

evie_mun
January 25th, 2005, 07:23 PM
http://nypost.com/style/39213.htm

This dress is being advertised by YM Prom, Teen Prom and Seventeen Prom this year, and has apparently become one of the top sellers. I'm all for freedom of wearing clothing, but there has to be some sort of a limit to taste. I thought prom was supposed to be a formal occasion, not a slutty occasion. I'm really sorry if I'm offending someone, but honestly! Goodness gracious!

Edit: Ok, I've found out from sources that apparently the picture the NY post has is one of the dress worn backwards (dunno why, but anyways...) If you want to see how the dress is really supposed to look, check post 130.

Athena-Nadine
January 25th, 2005, 07:29 PM
Oh. My. Gods. I don't have the words, except...

HELL NO!

Bix
January 25th, 2005, 07:30 PM
I don't see why any girl would -want- to wear that dress. To me...prom always seemed like a fun albeit dignified evening...not an evening where you go around looking like a prostitute.

djmixon
January 25th, 2005, 07:30 PM
Hell no. . .and that is from me, my husband, and my 19-year-old son

D

SilverClaw
January 25th, 2005, 07:39 PM
holy crap No way in...

Mab
January 25th, 2005, 07:45 PM

HELL NO!
:jawdrop: took the words right outta my mouth. Not only "no" but "HEEEEEEEEELLLLLLL NO!!!"

(Though....if I had a body to carry it off & a place to wear it, I might wear it myself--but I'm 30yo!)

And might I just add that the young model in the picture looks totally "wrong" in that dress....like her face is out of place on her bod. Like....her mom is a 30-something model & she's playing dress up in Mommy's clothes.

Elistariel
January 25th, 2005, 08:04 PM
I see the article, but I can't find the image :huh:

*Rain*
January 25th, 2005, 08:06 PM
Good grief, that's not a dress, it's a sparkly pair of dungarees with the straps all twisted up.

Elistariel
January 25th, 2005, 08:16 PM
:wah2: I wanna see it!!! :wah:

CaitrionaMorgaine
January 25th, 2005, 08:17 PM
I agree with the majority -- completely inappropriate. Even if I had the body, I have more self respect than that.

Avalon's Blessings, ~Rhiannon

Aine of the Fae
January 25th, 2005, 08:20 PM
I'll second, third and fourth that HELL NO!!!!! I'm am by no means a shy girl, but that dress just portrays the WRONG image.

evie_mun
January 25th, 2005, 08:22 PM
http://nypost.com/photos/stylelede01242005.jpg

For those of you who couldn't see the photo.

Ugh. I still can't look at it and feel absolutely disgusted.

Aine of the Fae
January 25th, 2005, 08:24 PM
That's one of those dresses that would leave people talking for months, and leave the FTC censors screaming after one of the shoulders fell off... How does that thing even stay on?????

Cielamara
January 25th, 2005, 08:29 PM
First of all, even if I had the body, I would never wear that dress.

Second of all, no daughter of mine would wear that dress. If you can't even wear stick-on bra cups underneath it, that's a sign that's something is wrong.

Third of all...the clothing designer's daughter (Yes, my mom really was that cool, till she got tired of commuting back and forth two hours each way) in me has to point something out. Even if that dress were lingerie, it would not be flattering on. It does not look good to just have breasts flopping around even in regular clothes--unless you just happen to have very good breasts that don't flop and sag as much as most people's do at every chance they get--but it especially doesn't look good in evening wear. The dress makes her breasts look unattractive, when it's trying to do the opposite. If you want to draw attention to your cleavage, do it in attire that will nicely push and tuck where things should be pushed and tucked. Don't just let it flop. That's not pretty. If you're going to pay upward of even just two hundred dollars for a dress, get one that will support you, present you in an attractive manner, and keep you decent. You can be sexy without being trashy.

Elistariel
January 25th, 2005, 08:30 PM
Don't High School's have dress codes? We only have junior and senior prom. If I had worn that dress, they'd have marched my ass right out the door.

LacyRoze
January 25th, 2005, 08:30 PM
Not as long as I'm alive!!! :wtf:

Lunacie
January 25th, 2005, 08:36 PM
Don't High School's have dress codes? We only have junior and senior prom. If I had worn that dress, they'd have marched my ass right out the door.

This was my first thought. Even if a parent would allow a girl to wear this dress, I can't imagine a school allowing it. And if they would, it wouldn't be the right school for my daughter anyway.

I vote HELL NO ! It's not attractive, it's not sexy, I've seen girls dancing in titty bars wearing more than that. :yayah:

Athena-Nadine
January 25th, 2005, 08:39 PM
I vote HELL NO ! It's not attractive, it's not sexy, I've seen girls dancing in titty bars wearing more than that. :yayah:
:woot: :falloffch :rotfl:

Khuinaset
January 25th, 2005, 08:40 PM
Uh. Wow. People are actually *buying* it? :wtf: Like the one comment said...if you wanted something that trashy that bad, you could easily make it at home for probably less than $100...

Ceres
January 25th, 2005, 08:45 PM
lol rain, at your comment about the dungares wqith the straps all twisted! u must think like my 11 yr old daughter, whose comment was "it looks like a skirt with ties"

manicfairy19
January 25th, 2005, 08:52 PM
Im 20 so my prom was only a couple of years ago and I absolutely agree that is an inappropriate dress for anyone at anytime. I have a special dance even now in my sorority kinda like a prom called the spring formal and I wouldnt wear something like that even now. Its about self respect. and no offense but no self respecting woman/girl would wear a dress like that. What ever happened to leaving something to the immagination?

gwendar
January 25th, 2005, 09:36 PM
F*** NO!
Jeez... I wouldn't expect anyone to even like it. It's just...very unattractive and unflattering. Yuck!

charmedkisses1
January 25th, 2005, 09:42 PM
-.- ew!
a) UGLY
b) tmi- what happened to being provocative (as opposed to looking like a streetwalker?)

i've bought 7 different prom magazines, ranging from "seventeen" to "lucky", and I only found 5 dresses that semi cover my body (i.e., my breasts won't fall out of)

LittleRhiannon
January 25th, 2005, 09:47 PM
That's really trashy :eyebrow: I worry for my generation

Mab
January 25th, 2005, 09:50 PM
Im 20 so my prom was only a couple of years ago and I absolutely agree that is an inappropriate dress for anyone at anytime. I have a special dance even now in my sorority kinda like a prom called the spring formal and I wouldnt wear something like that even now. Its about self respect. and no offense but no self respecting woman/girl would wear a dress like that. What ever happened to leaving something to the immagination?Ok, well I disagree with that. I'm a very self-respecting woman, and I'd wear something like that....in an appropriate place. And yes, there are places that something like that would be appropriate. (And, no, not just tittie bars or orgies or anything of the like--there are places that adults gather that would not see that as "slutty" or "trashy".)

Man....I never cease to be amazed at the amount of prudishness I see exhibited by supposedly open-minded ppl.

LightDancer
January 25th, 2005, 09:51 PM
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did I also mention NOT A CHANCE IN HELL!!!!

That is just what a girl needs to be wearing to a place FILLED with hormone crazy boys :collapse:

I think my girls would have to do some serious super spy maneuvering to be able to get out of the house in that get up! ugh

Jamie

LightDancer
January 25th, 2005, 09:54 PM
Ok, well I disagree with that. I'm a very self-respecting woman, and I'd wear something like that....in an appropriate place. And yes, there are places that something like that would be appropriate.

Man....I never cease to be amazed at the amount of prudishness I see exhibited by supposedly open-minded ppl.

ummm this is a PROM! these are teenagers! if as an adult someone wishes to go around dressed as a prostitute...all the power to her, but it is NOT appropriate for a dance at a highschool.

Jamie

FlyingBear
January 25th, 2005, 09:55 PM
*sigh*

...... and so another generation of girls is raised to please at any cost.

:goodgrief

LacyRoze
January 25th, 2005, 09:55 PM
Maybe there is an appropriate place to wear a dress like this but this topic is about letting your daughter wear it to prom. I also think calling people prudish doesn't quite fit. Everyone has different tastes in clothes.

Mab
January 25th, 2005, 09:56 PM
ummm this is a PROM! these are teenagers! if as an adult someone wishes to go around dressed as a prostitute...all the power to her, but it is NOT appropriate for a dance at a highschool.

JamieI agree. If you read my initial post, I totally agreed that it is COMPLETELY inappropriate for the age group, for the occassion, and I'd never let MY DAUGHTER wear it. I was disagreeing with the idea that "NO self-respecting woman EVER would wear anything that revealing."

Please read everything before jumping me.

Maybe there is an appropriate place to wear a dress like this but this topic is about letting your daughter wear it to prom. I also think calling people prudish doesn't quite fit. Everyone has different tastes in clothes.

Also, I don't think my opinion that the idea that a woman of the proper age wearing that dress being deemed "slutty" or "trashy" is prudish is any different than the very idea that ANYONE of ANY AGE wearing that dress is "SLUTTY" or "TRASHY" or LACKING IN SELF RESPECT.

Talk about a double standard...."Different people have different taste in clothes" but it's ok for my tast to be called "slutty" or "trashy", but not ok for me to suggest the ppl using these terms are prudish??? Please.

LightDancer
January 25th, 2005, 09:59 PM
I agree. If you read my initial post, I totally agreed that it is COMPLETELY inappropriate for the age group, for the occassion, and I'd never let MY DAUGHTER wear it. I was disagreeing with the idea that "NO self-respecting woman EVER would wear anything that revealing."

Please read everything before jumping me.

oops sorry, my bad _inabox_

Jamie

Ceres
January 25th, 2005, 10:01 PM
nekkid breasts might be a political statement...this dress says slutty no matter where u wear it. sorry JMO

Aine of the Fae
January 25th, 2005, 10:02 PM
Ok, well I disagree with that. I'm a very self-respecting woman, and I'd wear something like that....in an appropriate place. And yes, there are places that something like that would be appropriate. (And, no, not just tittie bars or orgies or anything of the like--there are places that adults gather that would not see that as "slutty" or "trashy".)

If I had the body for it, I might wear it. But probably not. It's not exactly my style.... give me a tight pair of jeans and a super-tight sweater any day. Even with the body I've got now I'd have men drooling!

Valnorran
January 25th, 2005, 10:03 PM
Of course, with Brittney Spears, Christina Aguilara, et al. being held up as the standard of young women, this development isn't surprising. It's hip to be a whore.

Elistariel
January 25th, 2005, 10:18 PM
Ok, well I disagree with that. I'm a very self-respecting woman, and I'd wear something like that....in an appropriate place. And yes, there are places that something like that would be appropriate. (And, no, not just tittie bars or orgies or anything of the like--there are places that adults gather that would not see that as "slutty" or "trashy".)

First I respect your views. I wouldn't allow myself or any of my future children in that dress. Not for prom, not for anywhere. There is no decent location where that would be acceptable. If you wish to wear it, I would not stop you. You, from what I assume, would wear it because you are comfortable with your body. These are teenagers, they'd wear it due to peer pressure, and misguided ideals. I'm 21, so I'm not far off on understanding teenage mindset. There is a way to dress sexy, this isn't it by a longshot. Sexy is perfectly acceptable for prom. Slutty is not. It's not that you can almost see her boobs, it's that she's trying too hard to be sexy. Many have this idea that skin = sexy. That is not always the case, a little mystery can go a long way.

halfwaynowhere
January 25th, 2005, 10:38 PM
lol, that dress... we were passing around a YM Prom magazine at school, and we agreed that those were the worst prom dresses we had ever seen, that one especially.... most of the girls and guys in the senior class at my school hated that dress, wouldn't be caught dead in it...

SilverMaiden
January 25th, 2005, 10:43 PM
Absolutely not! It's inappropriate for the age group and the occassion.

I understand sex sells in our society but holy moly that's going way too far. Sheesh.

They haven't designed tuxedo pants where they have just straps holding testicles and no front yet have they? :lol:

Know Your Rights
January 25th, 2005, 10:50 PM
Other people can wear that all they want... myself, being of the age where I would have just recently had a prom if I'd had one, would not wear that particular dress, even if I had the body to pull it off. As for any daughter of mine, if I had one, wearing that dress... she wouldn't step foot outside the door wearing that...

Mab
January 25th, 2005, 11:03 PM
First I respect your views. I wouldn't allow myself or any of my future children in that dress. Not for prom, not for anywhere. There is no decent location where that would be acceptable. If you wish to wear it, I would not stop you. You, from what I assume, would wear it because you are comfortable with your body. These are teenagers, they'd wear it due to peer pressure, and misguided ideals. I'm 21, so I'm not far off on understanding teenage mindset. There is a way to dress sexy, this isn't it by a longshot. Sexy is perfectly acceptable for prom. Slutty is not. It's not that you can almost see her boobs, it's that she's trying too hard to be sexy. Many have this idea that skin = sexy. That is not always the case, a little mystery can go a long way.
Thank you for the respect, however, the "Slutty is not" rather negates it, doesn't it? "I respect your views, but you still would be/look slutty"?

I would never let a teen wear that dress. I, as a 30yo, might wear it if I had the bod & the appropriate place (as in...if I got invited to a mega-swank erotic art show in Paris....yeah, I know it's extreme, but to the ppl that get to do that stuff, this wouldn't be that shocking on an age-appropriate person). Just b/c it is not to your taste does not make it "slutty"!!

I agree that sexy does not necessarily equal revealing. I dress sexy a lot--and have everything from my shoulders to toes covered. I get lots of compliments.....however....

I'm not objecting to THE DRESS BEING WHOLLY INAPPROPRIATE FOR A TEEN. I'm objecting to the idea that skin=slutty period.

Sowelu
That is quite skanky!!! Even my 14 yr old daughter thought so.

ealawyn
Hmmm.

Is she a show girl in Vegas?
:bigblue: Just kidding. :fpeek:

I would absolutely not find it apropriate for a teenager.

Khuinaset
January 25th, 2005, 11:10 PM

I'm seriously not trying to be rude here, please keep that in mind. But, uh, where? I can't think of a SINGLE occasion that wouldn't be something like a bar/orgy/party with lots of sex where that dress wouldn't be seen as trashy. Maybe if the straps were like, six or seven inches across instead of two...

I don't get why just because I don't like the dress in anything other than a context like the aforementioned makes me a prude. You can be sexy without wearing less material than is in the average bikini.

Threase
January 25th, 2005, 11:12 PM
Man, even IF I had the body for it, I wouldn't even think about it... I'd be too worried about popping out to have any fun!

Mab
January 25th, 2005, 11:14 PM
Man, even IF I had the body for it, I wouldn't even think about it... I'd be too worried about popping out to have any fun!
LOL!! Ok, THAT I can totally understand!!:D

Gwenhwyfar
January 25th, 2005, 11:19 PM

HELL NO!

That is exactly what just went through my mind, that and then NOT FRIGGIN LIKELY....although by prom Id hope I did something right raising her,and she wouldnt want to wear that anyways...I hope.

Im thinking they just forgot the little shirt that goes with it...??? lol, under the suspenders...

Mab
January 25th, 2005, 11:28 PM
I'm seriously not trying to be rude here, please keep that in mind. But, uh, where? I can't think of a SINGLE occasion that wouldn't be something like a bar/orgy/party with lots of sex where that dress wouldn't be seen as trashy. Maybe if the straps were like, six or seven inches across instead of two...

I don't get why just because I don't like the dress in anything other than a context like the aforementioned makes me a prude. You can be sexy without wearing less material than is in the average bikini.
1. Why is sex bad? Why would wearing something like that to a bar or an erotic anything be bad?

2. Flip it: Why does it make me slutty or lacking in self-respect to like the dress?

Elistariel
January 25th, 2005, 11:29 PM
I'm not objecting to THE DRESS BEING WHOLLY INAPPROPRIATE FOR A TEEN. I'm objecting to the idea that skin=slutty period.

I never said that I believe skin=slutty. What I said what that many people believe that skin=sexy. When it in fact does not. In small portions yes. For gracious sakes we're not puritans. You can be covered head to toe and still look slutty. I am talking about this dress in particular. The style is such that it is not appropriate for a prom. Wheter or not it is appropriate for an exotic art show is irrelevant to this thread. The fact of the matter is that it is highly inappropriate for teens and prom.
Also, just saying this randomly. It's one thing to be comfortable with your body and proud of it. It's another to flaunt it with no respect or disregard for those around you.
You could wear that dress if you'd like, but I would still think you looked slutty in it. It would not make me think that you, or the wearer was in fact a slut, only that you looked like one.
*runs off to find an example of a dress she think is sexy, but not revealing*

Elistariel
January 25th, 2005, 11:37 PM
1. Why is sex bad? Why would wearing something like that to a bar or an erotic anything be bad?

2. Flip it: Why does it make me slutty or lacking in self-respect to like the dress?

I know this wasn't directed towards me, but what the hey..

1. Sex in itself is not bad. Provided that you accept the possiblity of diseases and children with our without protection, and are willing to take the responsiblity for either one.
In a bar, if you're out for booty, then it's fine. You're not going to find "the one" in that dress. It doesn't exactly attract the attention of the more reputable members of society.
2. Because the dress itself is slutty. The design is practically screaming "Hey guys come and :gagged: me NOW!"

Lady Khaibit
January 25th, 2005, 11:37 PM
OH MY HADES!!!!!!! NO WAY!!!!!!.....my husband would lock our daughters in their room until they put something on.......

Jolixte
January 25th, 2005, 11:39 PM
Well, if she paid for it, and would go through the embarressment of wearing that silly dress then I'm not going to stop her. Seriously, if I raised her to that age so that she would wear something like that then I feel she should be able to wear it, not that she would get into the dance in that thing.

Mab
January 25th, 2005, 11:41 PM
I never said that I believe skin=slutty. What I said what that many people believe that skin=sexy. When it in fact does not. In small portions yes. For gracious sakes we're not puritans. You can be covered head to toe and still look slutty. I am talking about this dress in particular. The style is such that it is not appropriate for a prom. Wheter or not it is appropriate for an exotic art show is irrelevant to this thread. The fact of the matter is that it is highly inappropriate for teens and prom.
Also, just saying this randomly. It's one thing to be comfortable with your body and proud of it. It's another to flaunt it with no respect or disregard for those around you.
You could wear that dress if you'd like, but I would still think you looked slutty in it. It would not make me think that you, or the wearer was in fact a slut, only that you looked like one.
*runs off to find an example of a dress she think is sexy, but not revealing*

Thank you, but I do not need a lesson in how to dress. I manage very well on my own, thank you.

(Ok, I'm really seriously not trying to be rude here, just trying to make a point.)

Now, actually, the example I gave of the art show or whatever was in response to a post made here....so actually it's not entirely off topic, nor irrelevant to posts made in this thread.

And, frankly, last time I checked, I pretty much have a right to dress however I want within legal constraints without any regard to anyone else period. As long as I'm not violating any laws, I can wear whatever I like whether it offends you or upsets you (You in a general sense) or what your opinion of it is. So, I could wear that dress & feel perfectly fine in it, and you could think I look slutty, and I would say to you "who asked your opinion? Why should I care what you think?" and we'd go our own ways.

I just take offense at all the comments along the lines of "That's slutty. No self-respecting woman would ever wear that. How cheap & trashy. Any woman that would wear that certainly doesn't think very well of herself. That dress is wrong & trashy & slutty for any woman ever." simply b/c they seem to be very judgemental of a lot of women.

Gwenhwyfar
January 25th, 2005, 11:48 PM
I couldnt care less if an adult wore that.....it would have been perfect for the pimp n ho party at my hubbys work last year. lol....not that I could pull that off anyways....but for a minor, at a school function? Nope.

CajunLady
January 26th, 2005, 12:21 AM
prom=school age..um no...no questions asked. That's a good dress for someone standing on the street corner yelling "$5 $5 me love you long time." but not for a teenager.

Wintersteel
January 26th, 2005, 12:30 AM
Over my dead body.. I wouldn't even let my daughter try it on in the store, much less wear it out in public :woah: . And the girl who tries to wear to the prom at any school around here wouldn't even make it through door to the dance. We had a vice principal at one high school terminated for doing a "thong check" before allowing girls in to the dance. She was fired cause she made the girls lift up their skirts so she could check the underwear.. :holycow:

And my opinion of the adult woman wearing this dress... If you got it flaunt it :woot:

I just thank my lucky stars, that my 14 year old daughter is a tomboy! :whistle:

Elistariel
January 26th, 2005, 12:31 AM
Thank you, but I do not need a lesson in how to dress. I manage very well on my own, thank you.

(Ok, I'm really seriously not trying to be rude here, just trying to make a point.)

Now, actually, the example I gave of the art show or whatever was in response to a post made here....so actually it's not entirely off topic, nor irrelevant to posts made in this thread.

And, frankly, last time I checked, I pretty much have a right to dress however I want within legal constraints without any regard to anyone else period. As long as I'm not violating any laws, I can wear whatever I like whether it offends you or upsets you (You in a general sense) or what your opinion of it is. So, I could wear that dress & feel perfectly fine in it, and you could think I look slutty, and I would say to you "who asked your opinion? Why should I care what you think?" and we'd go our own ways.

I just take offense at all the comments along the lines of "That's slutty. No self-respecting woman would ever wear that. How cheap & trashy. Any woman that would wear that certainly doesn't think very well of herself. That dress is wrong & trashy & slutty for any woman ever." simply b/c they seem to be very judgemental of a lot of women.

This thread is not about you, it is about the dress. You may have the right to dress as you please, but this is a prom dress, most schools haver dress codes. Whether or not they were a reply to another respons doesn't make your thread fully relevant to the topic at hand. The topic is the appropriateness of the particular dress for a prom. If you find it appropriate fora an erotic art show is not the point. Appropriate for an art show or not, it still inappropriate for a prom. That is the topic at hand. I, for one, never said that liking that particular dress made you slutty. I only said that the dress itself was slutty. To like it would mean that you liked a slutty dress. To wear it meant that you were dressed slutty. It would not mean that you were one.

I may be judgemental, but one is asked their opinion on something an judgement process occurs. You judge what you see as good and what you see as bad, and make your call. If you liked it or hated it, you made a judgement call.

DragonsChest
January 26th, 2005, 12:38 AM
My daughter would not be allowed to wear it. And my son would not be allowed to date any girl willing to wear it. Any boy wanting to date a girl dressed like that shouldn't be allowed within 100 yards of her, because obviously, he only wants one thing if he is willing to go out with a girl dressed like that. And she is offering only one thing if dressed like that.

But all that aside, the dress is just plain ugly. Why would anyone want to wear something that is ugly? It looks like it was put on backwards. What does the other side look like? The real front, ya know?

kissesree
January 26th, 2005, 12:40 AM
I dont know, maybee if she had a bottle of mace and body guards.....

kissesree
January 26th, 2005, 12:41 AM
seriously, it is just inappropriate.

Faery-Wings
January 26th, 2005, 08:12 AM
OK here comes my rant about the frickin media.

why do business people feel the need to design and sell this -- as a prom dress???
Why do the magazines feel the need to print this type of dress as advertising for a prom??

Legally, a minor cannot even consent to sex because the law says that they cannot make the judgement for themselves... yet the media thinks it is appropriate to make this acceptable.

Most parents and schools will hopefully realize this isn't apporpriate, but it also raises the stakes of what girls are willing to dress like.

We are talking about being marketed to 15-16 and 17 year old gilrs!!

Why can the media let kids be kids? And why can't parents have the backbone to stand up to the media and "fashion" industry and say it isn't acceptable. (As in why do they have to have the shorts with words on the butt- in sizes that my 6 yo would be wearing- and younger??) WHy are we sexualizing kids younger and younger?

:rant:

whew, sorry for that.I am all for freedom of expression however, society is just pushing and pushing till wearing next to nothing will be acceptable.

And one other note. As a farty tarty adult (lol) I am not really into seeing teenagers buttcracks with the low jeans. Don't need to be seeing their thongs either. In my day and age, we called that plumber's crack. Not a compliment. :lol:
Why do people think that these kinds of things are atractive on teens??

Khuinaset
January 26th, 2005, 08:43 AM

1. Where did I say sex was bad?! :wtf: Once again, assumptions. I never said sex was bad. I'm a prude because I don't like a dress. I obviously think sex is EVIL because I think the dress would only be appropriate for bars and orgies and erotic etc.

I have no problem with sex or bars or orgies(although admittedly the latter two are not for me). Maybe I should edit what I said. I cannot think of a single function *without* very heavy sexual overtones that that dress would be APPROPRIATE in the least at.

1. Sex in itself is not bad. Provided that you accept the possiblity of diseases and children with our without protection, and are willing to take the responsiblity for either one.
In a bar, if you're out for booty, then it's fine. You're not going to find "the one" in that dress. It doesn't exactly attract the attention of the more reputable members of society.
2. Because the dress itself is slutty. The design is practically screaming "Hey guys come and :gagged: me NOW!"

Yes. That.

And yeah, the dress would be legal 'til you moved the wrong way too fast and your boobs popped out. :p

sari0009
January 26th, 2005, 09:14 AM

This dress is being advertised by YM Prom, Teen Prom and Seventeen Prom this year!

It's the backlash to the Janet Jackson boob backlash hoopla (in part) so it kind of makes me laugh but let my daughter wear it to a "mixed company" (in more than one sense) event?

No.

While I don't think it's healthy to consider the human body wrong/bad and yet Americans can all too readily witness horrific violence on TV, in the streets or in many homes ... I still have to consider that not all at the prom would feel comfortable with this level of exposure and in that sense it's a "mixed company" event.

If it weren't a mixed event in that sense it might be a possibility (so much would have to be so different and in truth society is not close to that) ... No, no, no ... I cannot even imagine our society at large being that healthy that there wasn't such a ready steady stream of violence in all our shows, communities, and homes but there were far healthier and responsible attitudes about a number of things including sexuality and conduct.

If I wanted to change society it wouldn't be with a step that big and it wouldn't fall on my daughter's chest, so to speak. This is going too far, in my opinion (and that's the one that matters when it comes to my daughter and I) considering all involved.

Lunacie
January 26th, 2005, 10:19 AM

So, most of us have different standards or boundaries than you do, and that makes us prudes? Can you be open-minded enough to agree to disagree without assigning labels or calling names?

I suppose most of those who post here are too young to remember a similar scandal back in the 60s about a 'topless' swimming suit that had two narrow straps barely covering the nipples. A couple of women probably wore it a couple of times, but it never caught on like the bikini, which came out at about the same time. I think it's a marketing strategy. If you're releasing a new design that's different or risque enough that there will be raised eyebrows and possibly raised voices, then release something that's even more eye-popping and all the negative publicity will be focused on that instead of the one you really want to sell.

Rowenna
January 26th, 2005, 10:21 AM
All I can say is ew ew ew ew ewwwwwwwwwwwww....ugliest most nasty thing I've ever seen in my life...If my daughters were old enough to go to prom and bought one of those things, I'd barbeque it on the grill before they ever had a chance to wear it. YUCK!!!!!!

Mab
January 26th, 2005, 10:34 AM
I know this wasn't directed towards me, but what the hey..

And this would be exactly how I come to the "prudish" conclusion. It's ok for you to state, as a fact, that the dress is slutty, but it's not ok for me to suggest that slapping that label on something just b/c it's not your taste is prudish.....sure......no double standard there.

And how do you know who that dress would attract if you aren't willing to wear it? Or if you haven't been with someone who has worn something like that? How do you (or anyone) get to make these statements as absolute fact?

This is where my problem lies: in the idea of "If you don't agree with my tastes or my ideas of how a woman should present herself, then you are lacking in self-respect & sending a wrong message & you presenting yourself as slutty with no self-esteeem or self-respect." It's garbage. And I'm especially shocked every time I hear it come out of ppl who claim to be very open-minded--b/c it seems these same ppl are very open-minded, but only about certain things. Would you (general "You") tell your poly-amorous friend that b/c she has 5 lovers she's appearing slutty & must not have any self-respect? How is this different?

DragonsChest
January 26th, 2005, 10:39 AM
Okay, how about this: you are not a slut, we are not prudes, but that dress is just ugly, all on its own merits.

U-G-L-Y..... It ain't got no alibi, it's ugly, uh-huh, it's ugly! _happydanc

Mab
January 26th, 2005, 10:42 AM
So, most of us have different standards or boundaries than you do, and that makes us prudes? Can you be open-minded enough to agree to disagree without assigning labels or calling names?

I didn't assign labels or call names. I simply addressed a trend I see with the word/description I found fit best.

I am very open-minded. I have not called any names, and I have disagreed. I have also read others state that any woman wearing this dress=zero sense of self-worth.

Why is it others can call names & use descriptors they find best ("slutty", "trashy") and can disagree with me, but I cannot answer back without getting jumped for "assigning labels or calling names"??

Fine. Y'all wanna sit around & trash this dress & bitch & moan about how society is going down the toilet & women who would be bold or brazen enough to wear something like that are slutty trashy things with no self-esteem or self-worth.....fine. Have fun. I'm done defending myself or my argument. Have you double standard & have a great old time.

Temptation
January 26th, 2005, 11:04 AM
Would I let my daughter wear this? Well, if it could be altered to have more coverage around the chest area, maybe.
As it appears on the photo, not if I can help it. We need to educate our daughters and make them realise that the sexiest and most desirable women in this world have never needed to wear anything this revealing to be noticed.

Being sexy comes from the inside, it's all about attitude. Clothes have very little to do with it.

Lunacie
January 26th, 2005, 11:09 AM
I didn't assign labels or call names. I simply addressed a trend I see with the word/description I found fit best.

I am very open-minded. I have not called any names, and I have disagreed. I have also read others state that any woman wearing this dress=zero sense of self-worth.

Why is it others can call names & use descriptors they find best ("slutty", "trashy") and can disagree with me, but I cannot answer back without getting jumped for "assigning labels or calling names"??

Fine. Y'all wanna sit around & trash this dress & bitch & moan about how society is going down the toilet & women who would be bold or brazen enough to wear something like that are slutty trashy things with no self-esteem or self-worth.....fine. Have fun. I'm done defending myself or my argument. Have you double standard & have a great old time.

Um, from my perspective no one has been attacking you or your opinion. Sure there has been disagreement, on both sides, but if you're feeling defensive you're probably right to step away from this one.

IvyWitch
January 26th, 2005, 11:19 AM
Ugh. That's one of those dresses that only REALLY brave celebrities would wear to award shows, knowing that the next day they're being made fun of in the magzines.

Also, I think that dress qualifies for indecent exposure. :meanhead:

Ben Trismegistus
January 26th, 2005, 11:28 AM
Sure, I'd let a daughter wear that to prom...

...with a t-shirt under it. ;)

Brielle LaLune
January 26th, 2005, 11:34 AM
Sure, I'd let a daughter wear that to prom...

...with a t-shirt under it. ;)

LMAO Well said Ben...

Felidae
January 26th, 2005, 11:40 AM
Okay, how about this: you are not a slut, we are not prudes, but that dress is just ugly, all on its own merits.

I agree completely. :)

And to answer your question: my daughter couldn't wear that to the prom, even if I would let her as her bust is too full for, um, "proper" fit.

Aleigh
January 26th, 2005, 11:57 AM

Besides the fact that it is totally inappropriate for a teenager...my first thought was just that it's the ugliest excuse for a dress I have ever seen. It's too awkward looking to be sexy...not attractive at all. It doesn't even look good on the model. :p Maybe if the straps wrapped around from the back or something...

Anyway, no, I wouldn't let my non-existent daughter wear it and if my sons wanted to date a girl who would wear it...well, I'd tell them to not waste their money on a tux and prom tickets, etc, since they surely wouldn't be allowed in. LOL And since there's no other logical reason other than prom for 2 teenagers to be wondering around this town in formal wear, they'd be staying home! :lol:

LittlePerson
January 26th, 2005, 12:07 PM
Am I the only one with an all text article and no picture of the dress? Where is the picture of it?

LittlePerson
January 26th, 2005, 12:12 PM
Ok, saw it on the second page of the thread and the answer would be no. Even if she had the body. That's way to young to wear that sort of thing, even if she'd been monogomous or having sex already. That doesn't even look like a dress. How does one feel pretty in that. I can understand wanting to be sexy at a prom but shouldn't one be pretty as well? And yeah, those straps would fall right off. It's like someone took overalls and turned them backwards, cut off the pants part and put on a skirt. It's not even very glamorous. The sequins are blocky and gaudy looking instead of shimmery. Not prom material. Maybe adult website material, which I'm okay with, but certainly not prom material.

Lunacie
January 26th, 2005, 12:12 PM
Am I the only one with an all text article and no picture of the dress? Where is the picture of it?
Nope, you're not the only one. Check post #12 (this thread), Evil Mun posted a pic there.

shimaura
January 26th, 2005, 12:31 PM
Um.... correct me if I"m wrong, but isn't a prom a DANCE???? :geez: You couldn't move an inch in that thing, and what is the point of going to a prom and not dancing??

I don't know why they're even trying to pass it off as a prom dress. No school in the country would let that through the door. Ever. There are dress codes you must comply with, even at formal dances.

soilsigh aingeal
January 26th, 2005, 01:00 PM
NO F-IN WAY!

Oh yeah, I wouldn't let my daughter wear this but I'll design it for the rest of the 16-17 year old girls out there! :rolleyes:

Nighthawk
January 26th, 2005, 01:12 PM
Sorry, but I would not let my daughter wear that. nope.

Gwenhwyfar
January 26th, 2005, 01:19 PM
I looked again, I swear it looks like a tight little black or white t-shirt would come with it...thats just crazy by itself...thats not a dress, its more like overalls/dress...I just cant get over that. lol

Yvonne Belisle
January 26th, 2005, 01:36 PM
My daughter wouldn't wear it even to bed. Thankfully my daughter has better taste than to wear something like that.

sari0009
January 26th, 2005, 02:03 PM
Disclaimer: The following is not aimed at any specific comments in this thread nor is it aimed at any particular MW members--It is a comment on our society in general about some things that bother me. You may not want to read it if you're not in the mood for "a rant" and I know not everyone would want to read all the links, but there it is, for anyone interested.

Talk About Revealing Much

The way I see it, it's intrinsically and deeply unhealthy that our society is so saturated with "either whore or " ______ (fill in the blank) mores/view/attitudes. It's another unhealthy dualism and besides, judging a girl/woman as sexually unethical/unwise should involve far more than her dress alone for people hold very different attitudes and associations towards dress (and that's a incredibly deep topic).

I find it odd and extremely revealing that I've heard so many so thoroughly decry societies that have their women wear burkas (or they are/were not "good women" in their society) yet our society also basically and frequently judges our women as "either whores or not" much of the time...but somehow that "is" acceptable. (* "The Madonna / Whore Complex" is not an unknown in our society by any means.)

Fundamentally, it's the same behavior, it's just that it's to a different degree and it's "dressed up" differently, so to speak.

:jawdrop: Therein lies the concern -- Because it's basically the same behavior it's merely the degree to which it's done and that can shift and I believe that is (in part) indeed what we've been witnessing lately. After 9/11 it seems our fundamentalists rose up in answer to "the other" fundamentalists (the ones who attacked us). I'm serious, it really does seem that way for it was within 24 hours that ** Robertson and Falwell made their infamous speech and it was soon after that the "under God" issue became even larger than it already was (and our far right and fundamentalists capitalized on this). Prior to 9/11 *** Little Kim had her boob hanging out and while that was "a bit much" there wasn't quite the FCC backlash as there was post 9/11, when **** Janet Jackson bared a boob. Now more stations have pulled more shows (shows that were okay to show a few years ago) for fear of more "moral outrage" backlash and FCC fines. What ties this all together is that the complaints are more in line with certain social-religious indoctrinations or "inclinations," as it were and the PTC (see last few links , below) is ever so inclined to bust a gut over what it considers to be "anti-Christian" stuff (read facetiously as "not befitting a church lady").

Keep in mind that I would indeed find the prom dress in question totally unacceptable in our society because our society is the way it is.

Some might ask if our society is so entirely and increasingly winnowed down to a baffling and somewhat illusionary oscillation between "complacency" and "shameless dress" (word play intended) and is doing so to the point that the golden mean between the religiously charged ovine and the supposedly rapine wags around more wildly than a church lady's tongue. This latest dress in question appeared in Seventeen Magazine and that same Seventeen Magazine spoke up (in a different tone it seemed) when a big media fuss arose all a gush over an eleven-year-old who asked for "more modest dress." (See http://www.spokesmanreview.com/breaking-news-story.asp?submitDate=200462174851)

A Few Interesting and Applicable Pages (for those interested and so inclined):

* http://everything2.org/index.pl?node_id=570720&lastnode_id=26972 Madonna / Whore Complex

** http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falwell#Controversial_remarks The infamous 9/12 Falwell Robertson speech

*** http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lil%27_Kim Lil' Kim's 1999 "breast appearance" mentioned

**** http://encyc.bmezine.com/?Janet_Jackson Janet Jackson's Satanic Nipple! (Scroll down)

http://www.progress.org/2004/fold339.htm Of Lemons bumps and Janet Jackson's Satanic Nipple (Note: There were numerous sites that claimed the star on Janet Jackson's nipple was "in fact" Satanic/Pagan...also see previous link if interested in that!)

http://www.witchvox.com/wren/wn_detail.html?id=11496 ABC Affiliates Balk At 'Saving Private Ryan' Airing

http://www.witchvox.com/wren/wn_detail.html?id=11710 Activists Dominate Content Complaints

http://politics.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/12/06/231234&tid=153&tid=219 98% of Complaints by Parents' Television Council

http://www.witchvox.com/wren/wn_detail.html?id=12097 FCC Rejects 36 Indecency Complaints Over "Friends," "The Simpsons," Other Shows -- Note that the Parents Television Council is more active against nudity and indecent exposure than violence, according to any sources

http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/TV/01/26/apontv.the.jitters.ap/index.html Just in! Networks growing unease and uncertainty regarding shifting boundaries as to what is okay or not (post Janet Jackson's breast)

Elistariel
January 26th, 2005, 03:53 PM
http://www.cbslimited.com/2005-prom-dresses/2005-prom-gowns/detail_prom_xcite-376

djmixon
January 26th, 2005, 03:56 PM
That changes nothing. . .still HELL NO!!!!!

DragonsChest
January 26th, 2005, 03:58 PM
It is better, but still not appropriate for my daughter at a school function. I KNEW that first picture was the dress on backwards -- it was just too ugly that way.

Athena-Nadine
January 26th, 2005, 04:10 PM
http://www.cbslimited.com/2005-prom-dresses/2005-prom-gowns/detail_prom_xcite-376
Actually, this one doesn't bother me nearly as much, because it's a better looking dress. It reminds me too much of walking around on the beach, though, with a bikini and sarong on. :lol:

Breathless Falcon
January 26th, 2005, 04:11 PM
NOPE! NEVER! NOT!

My daughter is very well sized ( 36dd) & looks about 25 ( she's 15). Like stated before that dress is asking for Trouble. :bug:

This would make a great poll?!?

StormVixen
January 26th, 2005, 04:16 PM
hmmm... i dont mind the non back to front picture... but i wouldnt wear it, my boobs r too small. i dont think if i had a kid that i would stop them wearing it...

i dont like the sparkles thats the main thing that puts me off!

evie_mun
January 26th, 2005, 04:17 PM
Nope, you're not the only one. Check post #12 (this thread), Evil Mun posted a pic there.

Evil Mun? :(

I didn't think I was Evil, per se....

*Grins* Just joking. I am :)

WitchJezebel
January 26th, 2005, 04:28 PM
I didn't read all the posts, but back when I had a body to wear it, I'd wear some pretty revealing things - I just don't see this thing as a dress, more like a skirt with suspenders! As for my daughter wearing it? When monkeys start flying out of my butt I'll consider it.

HorseCrow
January 26th, 2005, 04:54 PM
No, I would not. I would not let her wear it to anything else either.

banondraig
January 26th, 2005, 05:15 PM
NO WAY!!!!

also, i find that model a bit creepy-looking. i can't believe someone would actually pay almost 500 dollars for half of a dress. :geez: my mom sewed both of my prom dresses for me, and they were both a lot more attractive and dignified than this "dress".

Sowelu
January 26th, 2005, 05:34 PM

*starts dancing*:abanana: **it's UGLY it's UGLY...U-G-L-Y....UGLY!!!***

Morien
January 26th, 2005, 06:53 PM

HELL NO!

What she said. I had fun looking through prom dresses, and I'd definately be as enthusiastic about finding the perfect one as my daughter would be (if she's like her mom. XP). If my daughter wanted a princess dress, yes. If she wanted a more modern dress, yes. If she was crafty (and had the patience I lack) and wanted to design and make her own dress, I'd definately encourage that and be as involved as she'd let me. But a dress that is little more than a skirt with suspenders? And has the gall to be over $50? Hell no and over my cremated body. :|

soilsigh aingeal
January 26th, 2005, 08:24 PM
And how do you know who that dress would attract if you aren't willing to wear it?That's simple, we're talking about teenagers with raging hormones here.

ravenmyst
January 26th, 2005, 08:43 PM
sooooooooo noooooooooo

Lunacie
January 26th, 2005, 09:09 PM
<snip> Keep in mind that I would indeed find the prom dress in question totally unacceptable in our society because our society is the way it is. </snip> An excellent, thought-provoking post. I especially agree with with the paragraph above. I think most of the posters were basing their responses on that knowledge of our society.

Evil Mun? http://mysticwicks.com/images/smilies/frown.gif

I didn't think I was Evil, per se....

*Grins* Just joking. I am http://mysticwicks.com/images/smilies/smile.gifOops, so sorry. I've been kissed by the Typo Fairy AGAIN ! http://mysticwicks.com/images/smilies/laugh.gif

Galaxia
January 26th, 2005, 09:28 PM
Ω

zehava
January 26th, 2005, 11:18 PM
erg. did anyone else look at the other 'xcite' prom dress designs? quite a few of them are just as, erm... ugly.

here's a link. (http://www.cbslimited.com/2005-prom-dresses/2005-prom-gowns/prom_xcite)

anyway, i probably wouldn't let my daughter wear that dress either... not to a prom.

-z

QUEEN OF THE DAMNED
January 26th, 2005, 11:34 PM
I dont have kids, but the answer is no! NO! NO! How J-Lo can you go? Why would you want to wear it to prom, what happens when your tit pops out in front of the whole class.......you'd never live that down. I like to dress a little on the slutty side rather than the conservative, but I dont have an outfit in my cupboard that is that revealing( apart from my bikini I suppose), and I'm at least of a decent age to wear something like that.
Whewww that is one ugly piece of cloth.

Cielamara
January 26th, 2005, 11:39 PM
erg. did anyone else look at the other 'xcite' prom dress designs? quite a few of them are just as, erm... ugly.

here's a link. (http://www.cbslimited.com/2005-prom-dresses/2005-prom-gowns/prom_xcite)

anyway, i probably wouldn't let my daughter wear that dress either... not to a prom.

-z

Yes. A lot of them don't really look like prom dresses. There's supposed to be a little bit of innocence about prom--it's your first time getting to be really pretty and grown-up. You're not supposed to go from being sixteen to bam, twenty-six.

Faery-Wings
January 27th, 2005, 07:43 AM
Yes. A lot of them don't really look like prom dresses. There's supposed to be a little bit of innocence about prom--it's your first time getting to be really pretty and grown-up. You're not supposed to go from being sixteen to bam, twenty-six.

For me, that is exactly it. I noticed the same thing about the dresses onthat site.
Granted, I am older than many of you , and maybe I am getting a bit more old fashioned as I age ever so gracefully (haha!).

I understand that by 16 and 17, many teens are sexually active. Whether that is a good thing depends on a lot of different factors, which isn't really the piont of this thread. But wearing a dress like that screams to me, CFM Dresss. And by wearing it to a prom, IMO, reveals a few statements about the wearer:
* I am having sex, woo hoo (not necesarrily good or bad)
* I feel pressured to be sexual and I may or may not be ready for it
* This is what all of the cool girls are wearing

Are teens that comfortable with their sexuality nowadays?
When I was a teen, we, as a group, would be this comfortable in our own skins to wear this. We were still working out the "growing up bugs."

*shrugs*

I just don't understand why we can't let kids be kids...

LacyRoze
January 27th, 2005, 10:10 AM
I thought that maybe my opinion of this dress had something to do with the fact that I'm, well, middle aged, so I showed the pic to my 14yr old son and his girlfriend. Neither of them liked the dress either. The gf said there was no way she'd wear something that revealing and then she asked "How would you even dance in that?". LOL

samiaminsane
January 27th, 2005, 10:28 AM
Yea, it would be so much fun to spend the whole night worrying about my breasts popping out! Most schools have certain standards about prom dresses anyways (or at least they did when i was in school).

Loralienn
January 27th, 2005, 02:32 PM
The news here interviewed a bunch of highschool senior boys and girls about this prom dress. All the guys said 'NO WAY!' when the interviewer asked them if they would want their girlfriends to wear that to prom. One said "maybe if she wore it just for me." Lol. One girl out of all of 'em said it was sexy, the rest said it was ugly as sin and they would never wear it. Very interesting :)

faerieridingdragons
January 27th, 2005, 03:09 PM
Isn't there suppose to be somesort of shirt underneth it that the model forgot to put on?And why is it that the fashion community wants our children to grow up so fast?All I can say is I hope my daughter{age12}stays the tomboy she is now,because at the moment she won't even wear a dress or anything she deems girly-girl.And I definitely couldn't see a prostuite wearing that,her brests would freeze and fall off.A girl wearing that to prom would be better off wearing a bikini,she'd be covered more and it wouldn't cost her $495.

LittlePerson
January 27th, 2005, 03:26 PM
That one doesn't look the same, however if it is, I still have to say no. It' looks as though it's a just a bikini and a skirt.

ObsidianSunrise
January 28th, 2005, 05:26 AM
With the dress on either forwards or backwards, I have to say I would not have let my daughter waste money on it or leave the house in it. I sent her the pic tonight. She is 21 now and her response was 'EEEEWWWWWW! That is just plain ugly!'

I thought the dresses my daughter picked for both her JR and SR proms were elegant and tasteful. She made her dress for her JR prom using a material that looked dark red from one angle and black from another and it covered everything except her arms, neck and face. Her step mother bought her her first 'grown up' gown for her SR prom. It was a red beaded affair with spaghetti straps, a bare midriff with strands of beads that looped down there and clingly down to her knees then it flared out. I thought it looked very good on her and wasn't really that revealing. My Mother on the other hand had a cow and wanted to know how I could let my daughter wear something that trashy to prom! But then again she wanted to make me a poodle skirt for my prom in 1982! :geez:

Black RiverWolf
January 28th, 2005, 07:05 PM
dress what dress didn't see one. all i saw was a model and her tits. Oh that red string. erm NO NO NO NO NO NO NO. i had better be dead by the time my daughter thinls that she would get away with that.

GambolingCaribou
January 28th, 2005, 07:38 PM

This dress is being advertised by YM Prom, Teen Prom and Seventeen Prom this year, and has apparently become one of the top sellers. I'm all for freedom of wearing clothing, but there has to be some sort of a limit to taste. I thought prom was supposed to be a formal occasion, not a slutty occasion. I'm really sorry if I'm offending someone, but honestly! Goodness gracious!

oh my goodness! I was looking all over for a prom dress and I just couldn't come to any solutions until I saw this post, and I thought 'this is the dress for me!' Okay, I'm just kidding, no worries you guys. This dress is repulsive. :blech: I don't think someone working on the streets would degrade themselves to that extent. My friends and I were looking through a prom magazine and came to that dress and not a single person I talk to saw it even remotely attractive, even most of the guys thought it was gross.
Actually I was looking at this dress until I saw it was 500 dollars.
http://www.cbslimited.com/2005-prom-dresses/2005-prom-gowns/detail_prom_xcite-347
And there's a beautiful purple and black corset dress at hot topic I've fallen in love with. hehe.

Holly Ariadna
January 29th, 2005, 07:51 PM
HELL NO!!!!!!! There's no way my daughter would want to look like a slut anyway, I think I'd have done a better job than that! :-P

~~Vampy's~~Boo~~
January 29th, 2005, 10:00 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO
WHAT A SILLY QUESTION LOL
I WOULD WHIP ALLYSON WITH THAT DRESS IF SHE TRIED TO EVEN THINK ABOUT THINKIN OF ASKIN ME LMAO NO
SHE WOULDNT BE WEARIN IT NOPE
SHE WOULD WEAR A SHEET FOR EVEN TRYIN TO WEAR IT LOL
OK SERIOUSLY
no :ghostie:

Iseult
February 3rd, 2005, 03:53 PM
No. And being closer to being a fifteen year old girl than having a fifteen year old daughter, I'll also add that there's no way I'd ever wear that. Besides everything else, it's horrible!

Sequoia
February 7th, 2005, 05:15 AM
what happened to being provocative (as opposed to looking like a streetwalker?)

I think "provocative" went out the door along with "taste".

o_O; I've seen streetwalkers with more clothing on than that. More tastefully coloured and cut clothing. :sick:

I mean... I could be wrong (what do I know, I'm only obsessed with my lover's breasts), but wouldn't it be more tantilizing to have them pushed up in a nice corset with perhaps even a tight dress underneath? There's a fine line between alluring and slutty... these guys are so far over, they should go into the porno business.

Edited to add: I took a closer look at the photo in a graphics program... I'm pretty sure that image has been tampered with. I think her breasts were slightly smoothed or altered as to look more full or round. Which makes sense, considering she wouldn't be able to wear a bra with the stupid thing.

Druchii
February 7th, 2005, 05:18 AM
...No, and it's one more reason I don't want a daughter. :lol:

Valerie
February 7th, 2005, 06:45 PM
Not only is that UNattractive, but no self-respecting female I know would even go near that thing.

Chibi-Fallon
February 7th, 2005, 06:56 PM
Meh, if you've got smallish tits you can pull it off. Maybe.
This is not a dress for the large chested that's for sure but if you're that chick from Will and Grace go for it. I think she could rock it.

I really don't like how the waist is just suddenly there however. It's strange. It's sort of just ugly all on it's own.

I wouldn't want to wear it personally. But if you've got small tits and don't want to dance go for it.

But then again for my winterfest coronation I'm wearing a bright pink sparkle dress, and then a tux for prom.

Black RiverWolf
February 7th, 2005, 07:48 PM
just to be funny i emailed that to my mom and her response was

"Um you would be dead if i saw you in that"

Darakash
February 7th, 2005, 07:52 PM
I really don't like how the waist is just suddenly there however. It's strange. It's sort of just ugly all on it's own.

It looks like it is friggin on BACKWARD! NO way on earth would my teen be allowed to wear that. It is one thing to have a dip at the neckline, or a slit on the leg, it is another to go out with a friggin string covering your nipples and calling it a dress!
Dk

Autumn
February 7th, 2005, 07:52 PM
What I do not understand is why the model in the picture is wearing the dress backward?

http://www.cbslimited.com/2005-prom-dresses/2005-prom-gowns/detail_prom_xcite-376 If you look at the picture if you wear the dress frontward it's decent and you might be able to dance in...whick is not to say it's a nice dress, even frontward it isn't that nice.

I have two girls and I am nervous about the teen years if this is how the girl's are dressing now...

Darakash
February 7th, 2005, 07:58 PM
What I do not understand is why the model in the picture is wearing the dress backward?

I KNEW IT! (see my post, just above yours!)

Darakash
February 7th, 2005, 08:05 PM
Oh, and I just wanted to say kudos to all the teens who replied to this to say that they wouldn't WANT to wear a dress like that!

charmedkisses1
February 7th, 2005, 08:20 PM
These are

more (http://www.promdressshop.com/cgi-bin/cart.pl?IT=P165)

my (http://www.promdressshop.com/cgi-bin/cart.pl?IT=w137)

*style* (http://www.promdressshop.com/cgi-bin/cart.pl?IT=P572)

actually i want a more greek/sophisticated look, but i can't find one under 500 (they aren't worth 250 :lol: )

if you're looking for one, this (http://www.metrofashion.com/dire_embroideries_inspired.html) is a cool site, i love the corset and fairy-like ones, but I dont know...

SilentDreams
February 8th, 2005, 02:35 AM

HELL NO!

"Hell No", funnily enough was the first that came to my mind. I'm very liberal, I say do what you want but honestly. This dress is not only very innapropriate its just ugly. If my daughter wanted to wear it I'd first deny her and then ask to see what the hell she's smoking.

SilentDreams
February 8th, 2005, 02:42 AM
I also want to add more. (lol this dress stirs so many feelings and thoughts) What is wrong with girls? I mean if I was a chick I'd have no problem with flaunting the cleavage but this is overboard. Its not even sexy, its ungodly. I just want to find the girls who bought this and strangle them with it!!! It acctually pisses me off that people thinks this looks good. LOL I"m gay and you know how we get with fashion. This just makes me want to start slammin heads!!! :flamer: :grrrrr: :goodgrief :2G: :whatgives :grrrrr:

Cielamara
February 8th, 2005, 02:49 AM
These are

more (http://www.promdressshop.com/cgi-bin/cart.pl?IT=P165)

my (http://www.promdressshop.com/cgi-bin/cart.pl?IT=w137)

*style* (http://www.promdressshop.com/cgi-bin/cart.pl?IT=P572)

actually i want a more greek/sophisticated look, but i can't find one under 500 (they aren't worth 250 :lol: )

if you're looking for one, this (http://www.metrofashion.com/dire_embroideries_inspired.html) is a cool site, i love the corset and fairy-like ones, but I dont know...

Go for something sweet and young-looking. You've plenty of time to look like a grown-up...when you're seventeen, you should look seventeen. It's a lovely age to be.

Sequoia
February 8th, 2005, 02:54 AM

http://www.cbslimited.com/2005-prom-dresses/2005-prom-gowns/detail_prom_xcite-376 If you look at the picture if you wear the dress frontward it's decent and you might be able to dance in...whick is not to say it's a nice dress, even frontward it isn't that nice.

You know, you're right. It's backwards!

http://www.cbslimited.com/pics/prom_xcite/376L.jpg

It's not so bad that way. I mean, it's obviously for an ADULT, for a cocktail party or something.

But why on earth was the girl wearing it backwords?! And you know, that would be why they'd have to CGI edit her breasts; it wouldn't fit over them correctly otherwise. I knew it looked like certain parts had been *ahem* covered/blurred/airbrushed.

It must have been a scam to get attention; for people to buy the magazines.

boerbabe
February 8th, 2005, 02:59 AM
Good grief, that's not a dress, it's a sparkly pair of dungarees with the straps all twisted up.
I think that even might be an exageration of how much material is there!

SilentDreams
February 8th, 2005, 03:05 AM
You know, you're right. It's backwards!

http://www.cbslimited.com/pics/prom_xcite/376L.jpg

It's not so bad that way. I mean, it's obviously for an ADULT, for a cocktail party or something.

But why on earth was the girl wearing it backwords?! And you know, that would be why they'd have to CGI edit her breasts; it wouldn't fit over them correctly otherwise. I knew it looked like certain parts had been *ahem* covered/blurred/airbrushed.

It must have been a scam to get attention; for people to buy the magazines.

Oh wow, I didn't realize this. LOL this makes my whole rant not as strong. If its worn like this then I really have no problem. Its a little tasteless but hardly as nasty as the one in the other pictures. I'd waver on letting my daughter wear if worn this way.

Sequoia
February 8th, 2005, 03:18 AM
Here's a closer look at the details:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v34/redwoodmists/dressedit.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v34/redwoodmists/dressedit2.jpg

Looks like a publicity stunt to me.

boerbabe
February 8th, 2005, 03:27 AM
Oh my.... anyone else notice the marks on the girl's breasts from the wire in her bra she was previously wearing? lol

Whispers
February 8th, 2005, 07:42 AM
No way!!!! If I had a daughter there is no way in the world I would let her dress like that at such a young age! :yikes:

Faery-Wings
February 8th, 2005, 08:00 AM
Go for something sweet and young-looking. You've plenty of time to look like a grown-up...when you're seventeen, you should look seventeen. It's a lovely age to be.

YES!!!!

~~Cypher~~
February 15th, 2005, 11:21 PM
Um... if it was my daughter NO... but being seventeen.... if my g/f wore that dress.... well lets just say my pontiac would be rocking along with many other things.... no offense... but thats coming as a seventeen year old.. but as a parent... not no... not hell naw... but

HELL FU**IN NAW! (said with the best texan slang)

Viseux
February 16th, 2005, 04:53 PM
Not a Chance in Hell! or anywhere else for that matter.

Blessings,
Viseux

Catiana
February 16th, 2005, 07:27 PM
If I had a daughter I would not let her wear that dress or anything similar. Thank gods I have sons.

Dragon_Lady_of_Air
February 16th, 2005, 07:36 PM
No NO No nO NonONonOnOnONoNonOno, I think that might answer it. I am 23 and I would never wear that. much less to prom. Not the way things are now. Plus how does it stay on anyway.

MoonDragn
February 16th, 2005, 07:49 PM
Not for $495 I wouldn't. I can probably make a dress cheaper with less material LOL

BrigidMoon
February 16th, 2005, 08:05 PM
Um nope and then, would seriously have problems with those magazines afterwards.

Holly_Blackwell
February 21st, 2005, 11:44 AM
I'm 17 and well....I get in trouble a lot for provoctive clothing. I like short skirts and fishnets and leather boots. I'm a skank. Sue me.
I even I would NEVER wear that dress! And I'd be completly shocked to see another girl wearing it. That's beyond skanky. That's like...Fredrick's of Hollywood skanky...

Bainidhe Dub
February 21st, 2005, 12:06 PM
No. No. No.

*walks away ranting about media, fashion and letting kids wear crap that shouldn't be seen anywhere but on a streetcorner*

I'm sorry, but there is no way in Hell I would let a daughter of mine walk out of her ROOM dressed like that. Yes, the female body is beautiful. A work of art. BUT.. I know how males look at ME.. and what they think..

no way. No freakin' way. I'd end up breaking the first guy who looked at her funny.

Holly_Blackwell
February 21st, 2005, 12:19 PM
And how do you know who that dress would attract if you aren't willing to wear it? Or if you haven't been with someone who has worn something like that? How do you (or anyone) get to make these statements as absolute fact?

Uh...Simple. Walk down the street wering a mini skirt and a midrif halter top. Count how many guys turn their heads or cat call at you. Or better yet, go talk to a buch of guys and see how many actually look at your EYES when they're talking to you.
Reguardless of if you are willing to wear the dress or not, you'd have to be an idiot not to know what kind of attention it's going to attract.
And even if you think you (or your daughter) are perfectly capeable of handeling yourslef in a room full of drooling males, I would NOT reccomend walking home alone. :yikes:

teh_fae
February 21st, 2005, 01:54 PM
Whoa...

That's way too revealing! I'd lock my daughter in her room and make her change!

spooky
February 21st, 2005, 02:40 PM
even with it edited and on front-ways, it's an ugly dress. i wore cleavage dress when i was in high school and i think it was fine, i looked great- but that dress is just ugly. ugly ugly ugly. maybe i would let a son wear it- if he were a drag queen!

Calen
February 21st, 2005, 04:39 PM
I'm 17 and well....I get in trouble a lot for provoctive clothing. I like short skirts and fishnets and leather boots. I'm a skank. Sue me.
I even I would NEVER wear that dress! And I'd be completly shocked to see another girl wearing it. That's beyond skanky. That's like...Fredrick's of Hollywood skanky...

Hey now. Nothing wrong with leather boots or fishnets, and short skirts are a good time when you do the thing properly. And no, I wouldn't. It's not even a matter of it being too revealing. It's just not that nice of a dress. I wouldn't wear it, and I'm sure my daughter would find something nicer than that.

johenn123
February 21st, 2005, 05:09 PM
the style would be ok if the um boob covering was a lot wider, you know like big thingys crossed :she trails off:

MoonDragn
February 22nd, 2005, 09:37 AM
Actually, it looks like it was edited to make the girl's boobs look bigger, not to alter the dress.

wintermagick
February 22nd, 2005, 11:26 AM
:foh: :foh: :foh: :foh: :foh: :foh: :foh: :foh: :foh: :foh: :foh: :foh: :foh: :foh:

EEEWWW!!!

johenn123
June 11th, 2005, 01:28 PM
:tries to explain again: ok, the skirt is nice, the cross things that cover the boobs are way small obviously, it might look like a nice dress if the cross things that cover the boobs were wider and covered the tummy and the boobs leaving cleavage but not looking trashy, geddit?

Lunacie
June 11th, 2005, 01:34 PM
:tries to explain again: ok, the skirt is nice, the cross things that cover the boobs are way small obviously, it might look like a nice dress if the cross things that cover the boobs were wider and covered the tummy and the boobs leaving cleavage but not looking trashy, geddit?

Uhm, queen, scroll back up to post #130. It was pretty much proven that the girl in the photo had the dress on backwards. The dress is supposed to cover the boobs and the tummy. Still not something I would have wanted my daughter to wear to a high school prom, but I guess we all have our own set of standards.

Karma Chameleon
June 11th, 2005, 03:48 PM
The dress looks fine if it's worn correctly, but the way that gal was wearing it backwards it looked horrible.

darkfaery
June 14th, 2005, 09:35 AM
In the first pictures I was saying no way to the dress, As for the dress now that we know it's backwards, I still think it's a little to mature for a prom, but not nearly as bad.

And I wouldn't spend that kind of money on any prom dress anyway so it's kind of a moot point for my daughter. LOL