PDA

View Full Version : Friend freaking out about Reiki

arctic splash
January 27th, 2005, 02:51 PM
I offered to send Reiki to one of my MW friends, and received her conscious permission to do so. I sent with the intention that it bring her comfort and a peaceful night of sleep. This morning I woke up to a message on my computer: "what the hell did you do to me, I slept like I was in a coma, life sucks, etc..."

My first thought was that she must be overreacting, because I couldn't do anything like that, from sending a half hour of Reiki. It does tend to help people sleep better, and she has been suffering from nightmares. It might have had her too relaxed for her comfort? Or maybe she's not used to sleeping so soundly? I don't know, I just thought others could comfort or explain to her better than I could...

I also want to explain to her that *I* did nothing; I merely channellled the energy to where it is needed; she has the choice whether to accept it or not, and her body/self knows whether it is for her highest good. And I could not have done anything to harm her...

Anyway, I doubt I'll be offering to help like that anymore. I just don't like, when I'm sincerely trying to help, being treated like I was trying to manipulate her with magic or something... :(

Hamelyn
January 27th, 2005, 03:09 PM
Weird. People on this forum don't expect odd results when dealing with universal forces? I'm kind of surprised she's on this forum. (That's genuine blinkiness, not snobbishness, so don't yell at me.)

That said, I've gotten to the point where I don't really offer help or advice (at least, of the spiritual kind) without somebody asking me for it. Too often I see people asking questions they don't want an answer to or opening doors they aren't really prepared to open, and I don't feel like dragging magic into it. It sucks but that's prolly the best bit of commentary I can give.

I'm sorry your friend freaked out and no, it wasn't really fair to go off on you like that. *hug*

I offered to send Reiki to one of my MW friends, and received her conscious permission to do so. I sent with the intention that it bring her comfort and a peaceful night of sleep. This morning I woke up to a message on my computer: "what the hell did you do to me, I slept like I was in a coma, life sucks, etc..."

My first thought was that she must be overreacting, because I couldn't do anything like that, from sending a half hour of Reiki. It does tend to help people sleep better, and she has been suffering from nightmares. It might have had her too relaxed for her comfort? Or maybe she's not used to sleeping so soundly? I don't know, I just thought others could comfort or explain to her better than I could...

I also want to explain to her that *I* did nothing; I merely channellled the energy to where it is needed; she has the choice whether to accept it or not, and her body/self knows whether it is for her highest good. And I could not have done anything to harm her...

Anyway, I doubt I'll be offering to help like that anymore. I just don't like, when I'm sincerely trying to help, being treated like I was trying to manipulate her with magic or something... :(

Sage Rainsong
January 27th, 2005, 03:23 PM
I have to agree that is pretty strange that she got mad. I mean she wanted help sleeping and it worked. She should be thanking you.

ravenmyst
January 27th, 2005, 04:03 PM
really!!!

sincerebliss
January 27th, 2005, 05:24 PM
Well, you helped me! I have become more open to other energies than ever..but in a good way. The energy you sent has probably changed my spiritual life. I still meditate for about 10 or so minutes every night. I'm definitely dedicated. I have recently been having more in depth dreams and very symbolic, too. It's been really helpful in my spirituality and I have tons of hugs to thank you with!
:hugz: :hugz: :hugz: :hugz: :hugz: :hugz: :hugz: :hugz: :hugz: :hugz: :hugz: :hugz: :hugz: :hugz: :hugz:
sincerebliss

Temptation
January 27th, 2005, 05:36 PM
Don't give up moonstone-D. Some people are going to react in weird ways sometimes. Don't let one person's extreme reaction put you off.
Maybe it had something to do with the Full Moon; maybe, like you said, she's not used to sleeping so soundly; maybe she didn't really want the nightmares to go away. Who knows?

In any case, I don't see how sleeping like a log for one night would make her say that life sucks. That is just too weird. Did she not want a restful night? Isn't that why she asked you for help in the first place?

Don't give up, Ok? It's not going to be like this with everyone you try to help. Look at SincereBliss, she's happy with the experience.
:)

SacredWithin
January 27th, 2005, 06:00 PM
Don't stop what you're doing because one person protests. That's ridiculous and I know you're not a foolish person so don't even go there!_tsk_ ... :lol: Continue with your work. Just call this a lesson. Take it as you both made a mistake. Perhaps you really did do something wrong and didn't realize it and perhaps she really did take it the wrong way. I would get concerned, however, if you keep getting negative feedback. Perhaps there would have been steps you've forgotten to do. Who knows. But seriously, move on buddy. :)

KEishin
January 27th, 2005, 06:00 PM
Moonstone, don't stop sending Reiki to others. I've had people freak on me before - usually because the energy wasn't what the expected. Remember that healing goes to the source of the problem, NOT where you THINK the problem is. So it sounds like this may have happened to this person.

Don't give up - most people are very grateful for the experience.

butterflydreams
January 27th, 2005, 06:34 PM
Aw don't give up. It's seems that you have helped many people. Don't let one person and their bad experience stop you! Where would we all be if everyone did that?

ShamanFeather
January 27th, 2005, 08:16 PM
some people just freak out a lot. I have one who even if you blessed her and she could walk on water she'd freak out.

Usually with reiki though I was told just to send for the highest good and not to direct the energy otherwise you are just using directed energy which is different then reiki.

As far as you doing it with a half hour. I really don't see why not. I've done it to people in 15 when in person. It does what it wants to do, and sometimes people really need the sleep. If I slept like that I'd be happy in most circumstances.

Jenett
January 27th, 2005, 08:23 PM
For some people, sleep is part of control issues, or bad sleep is part of their self-image, or sometimes, they've just gotten so used to sleeping one way that changes really throw them. Or they say "Sure, go ahead" thinking nothing will be different, and then when there's an effect, it shakes their world view.

Regardless, I think all you can really do is say "Ok, sorry that upset you." and not offer again unless you're sure they really mean it. Don't let it put you off offering to other people (though I find some disclaimers sometimes help - something like "Some people do sleep a lot more soundly after so you might want to turn up your alarm." or something like that. Whatever's likely to be helpful to them.)

Reiki work always makes my husband go to sleep and stay that way for ages (a good solid 8 hours at minimum, most times), even if it's way earlier than he normally goes to bed. (We've used this to our advantage a few times, when he's been particularly stressed or overtired or something.)

Marishae
January 27th, 2005, 09:25 PM
Wow! If you could make me sleep that soundly, I'd be praising you!!! lol I'd be thanking You, thanking Goddess, and thanking the Universe!!! lol I haven't had a good night's sleep in ... I don't know how long. I wish I could just sleep... the whole night through... and wake up peacefully rested when my alarm goes off... not at 1am, 2am, 3am, 4am, 5am... oh God, 6am is coming... and ... I'm sure you get the picture... I am sooo tired of being tired... lol

But anyhoo... I agree with everyone here! Don't stop sending because of the response of one person... she probably wasn't expecting anything, and then when she got what she wanted and then some, she didn't know what to think about it, and is channeling her frustration at you because you did "something" that was directed to help her... She probably sees it as a "great thing" and it's out of the ordinary... and it freaks her out a little bit... And even to some who believe in these ways... when they see something come to fruition... it's a surprise... especially if you are in any way scientifically minded... if it can't be "explained" it can be a little overwhelming... hope that kinda made sense...

But, definately don't stop helping others... you have a great gift inside you... don't ever let it stop shining... =)

tensen
January 28th, 2005, 04:01 PM
It is always interesting to see what you intended and then compare with the end result.

I mean, asking for uninterrupted sleep... could end up forcing them to complete a sequence they might otherwise interrupt and wake up on. Sometimes it takes many nights of our minds accessing certain information before we are actually ready to accept it.

But a very important thing I learned with Reiki. While many people are teaching that it can't do any harm.. the energy doesn't always take the form we like. And many pagan paths teach us different ways to manipulate energy and deal with healing. You must be careful that you aren't subconsciously attempting to do more than just provide the Reiki energy, if thats all you want to do.

SacredWithin
January 28th, 2005, 04:28 PM
So basically, be careful what you wish for?

arctic splash
January 30th, 2005, 02:41 AM
Thank you all for your encouragement. It's times like these that I really wish I could give more than 10 karma in 24 hours!

Thank you. :)

tensen
January 31st, 2005, 12:13 PM
So basically, be careful what you wish for?

*chuckles* Well yes, but that should always be the case...
At least be careful what you wilt.