PDA

View Full Version : Question for the authors

edenbolake
January 27th, 2005, 08:28 PM
MM,
I would like to ask a question about something that has kind of bothered me . If you were reading a book by a well known author and you found a mistake in something that was written in the book, who would you contact? I am not sure if it was a mistake on the author's part or the printer's. I feel on one hand that if it was the printers, I would be doing the author an injustice if I didn't say something to someone. And on the other hand if it was a mistake by the author , how would I keep from hurting her/his feelings ? I really wouldn't want a mistake in my book if I were an author but not everyone feels the way I do, so what to do is my question?

blessings edenbolake

ibonewits
January 27th, 2005, 09:16 PM
MM,
I would like to ask a question about something that has kind of bothered me . If you were reading a book by a well known author and you found a mistake in something that was written in the book, who would you contact? I am not sure if it was a mistake on the author's part or the printer's. I feel on one hand that if it was the printers, I would be doing the author an injustice if I didn't say something to someone. And on the other hand if it was a mistake by the author , how would I keep from hurting her/his feelings ? I really wouldn't want a mistake in my book if I were an author but not everyone feels the way I do, so what to do is my question?
By all means, write the author, with a cc to the publisher. Honest authors want to know when they've made a mistake, if for no other reason than to be able to say so in person when the topic comes up. It can take years for published (treebook) text to be corrected, as most publishers won't go through the expense without a legal issue being involved. Sometimes the mistake can be fixed in future printings, once in a great while (like with a really major blunder), a publisher will print up and insert an "errata sheet" correction, but that's expensive too.

Of course, if the mistake involves a writer's entire premise, he/she may not be too happy to hear about it. That's when you have to write your own book to prove him/her wrong. :)

cheers,
Isaac

Yasmine Galenorn
January 28th, 2005, 12:20 AM
By all means, write the author, with a cc to the publisher. Honest authors want to know when they've made a mistake, if for no other reason than to be able to say so in person when the topic comes up. It can take years for published (treebook) text to be corrected, as most publishers won't go through the expense without a legal issue being involved. Sometimes the mistake can be fixed in future printings, once in a great while (like with a really major blunder), a publisher will print up and insert an "errata sheet" correction, but that's expensive too.

Of course, if the mistake involves a writer's entire premise, he/she may not be too happy to hear about it. That's when you have to write your own book to prove him/her wrong. :)

cheers,
Isaac

I agree, as long as you're polite, most authors won't take offense. Trouble is, if it's typos or the like, most publishers tend to ignore them unless they're major blunders when it comes time for a re-print. And it's so very easy to lose sight of something when you've been over and over a manuscript...I've had a few get by where the copyeditor didn't pick it up either, or the proofreader during galleys!

Yasmine

copperbeech
January 28th, 2005, 11:22 AM
most likely, the author already knows. as Yasmine said, little control over such. but yes, i would contact the author to tell her/him.

be well!

DebLipp
January 28th, 2005, 11:52 AM
I had a mistake in Elements of Ritual that a reader wrote to me about. I included similar information in The Way of Four and corrected the mistake. I thanked the reader in the acknowledgements or footnotes (I forget which).

KristinMadden
January 31st, 2005, 01:42 AM
Absolutely contact the author. While it is true that there may be little that can be done until a reprint, most authors I know appreciate hearing about it. Constructive criticism and helpful ideas are great.

I have had a few mistakes pointed out to me. One I didn't catch myself and was unaware of so I really appreciated the person that let me know. Two others were things I knew all too well about because they were changes made by an editor after I reviewed the book proofs - believe it or not, one of them was a misspelling of my own name! Duh. But even so, I sent it on to the publisher to let them know that I was not the only person that caught these things and they were cleared up in a reprint.

Kristin

odubhain
February 6th, 2005, 12:01 PM
MM,
I would like to ask a question about something that has kind of bothered me . If you were reading a book by a well known author and you found a mistake in something that was written in the book, who would you contact?
blessings edenbolake

I recently contacted the publisher about an Ogham mistake in a Celtic magic book. I would have preferred to contact the author directly but sometimes contact information is unavailable. I thought long and hard about the consequences of my actions before I did anything and concluded that the author would appreciate the correction as much as the readers. The mistake was on a magical amulet which IMO needed to be correct if it was to be effective. In this case, the author had several books in print with the publisher so the relationjship was fairly secure. This might not always be the case however.

I know I'd appreciate being corrected if I was wrong. How else does anyone learn?

Searles O'Dubhain

raven grimassi
February 6th, 2005, 02:06 PM
I would like to ask a question about something that has kind of bothered me . If you were reading a book by a well known author and you found a mistake in something that was written in the book, who would you contact?

I am in agreement with the other authors who encourage contacting the author regarding errors. Unfortunately, as already pointed out, often the publisher is not going to go to the added expense of correcting something not earth shaking.

I once received a handwritten letter from a prisoner (15 pages long) who went over my book 'Wiccan Mysteries' chapter by chapter pointing out what he believed to be errors. A few of them actually were, and I passed the info on to my editor.

So, by all means, let an author know. Most of us have formed a thick enough skin over the years (being public targets) not to take it personally, and we readily recognize a sincere contact as opposed to one driven by some personal agenda or private vendetta.

Best regards - Raven

Aconite
March 12th, 2005, 05:58 PM
I totally agree. Write to the author and if you cant find the adress to the publisher. People dont want to be sedning out false information, im sure they would greatly appresiate it.