PDA

View Full Version : Can cats catch human colds?

Lolith
January 29th, 2005, 12:01 PM
I have a cold, and I just noticed that my kittens nose it suddenly runny/goobery. Is this just a coincidence, or can they catch our colds. I know ferrets can so I'm staying away from mine, but I'm not sure about cats.

Dio
January 29th, 2005, 12:11 PM
I've had some badass colds in my time, and in the 16 years I've had my cats they have never caught my colds....even with me kissing and mauling them :)

perhaps my cats are just lucky...But, I'm still gonna say no...

Lolith
January 29th, 2005, 12:15 PM
Good, that will help me stop worrying. I've never had a cat catch anything either, but this morning I'm a little out of it. Lack of sleep and all. :)

Old Witch
January 29th, 2005, 12:57 PM
Mais oui, cats and dogs can catch what we have, but the virus has to be such that it can cross species..so it can happen, but it doesn't happen all that often...

I wouldn't worry about it...

Bronach Druid
January 29th, 2005, 11:57 PM
A cat cannot catch a human cold, nor can they pass a cat cold to you. A cat "cold" or upper respiratory infection is a completely different virus. If your cat shows cold like symptoms for more then a few days you should really get her to a vet. If you have other cats in your home, be sure and keep the one "sick" one separate as a cat "cold" is highly contagious to other cats. Good Luck with your baby, hope it's better real soon!

zakzekezedd
January 30th, 2005, 01:54 PM
Cats don't catch anything from us (or another species of animals unless the virus that causes the illness has "jumped" species), but the same family of viruses that causes the human cold causes kitty colds, doggy colds, and everybody elses' icky, sneezy, achey, snotty colds. Watch your baby closely. What may appear to be a "cold" can sometimes be a much more serious illness. If your kitty is showing signs of running a high fever, or dehydration, or tries to go into hiding get it to the vet IMMEDIATELY. If kitty doesn't seem interest in food try this: cats with stuffy noses sometimes refuse to eat (something to do with not eating what they can't smell I've been told). My vet's have always recommended feeding the stinkiest canned food you can find...basically if you can't stand to be in the same room with it, then kitty might actually be inticed to eat it. You might also add a bit of extra water to the food to help prevent kitty from getting too dehydrated too.

Lolith
January 30th, 2005, 01:55 PM
I think I might've just been paranoid. She seems fine now, and I think it just might be kittne boogers. She's acting normal, and her nose is clearing up.

CaitrionaMorgaine
January 30th, 2005, 03:43 PM
The FVRCP vaccination should prevent your kitty from getting what most describe as a "cat cold." The suggestions given above were wonderful, make use of them if you need to. Make sure your kitty is up to date on vaccinations. Glad to hear they are feeling better.

Avalon's Blessings, ~Rhiannon