PDA

View Full Version : A cat and a ferret

Arinya
February 4th, 2005, 10:01 PM
I've had my ferret for about a month now and he is adjusting well to the apartment and to the cat. When he's out to play and he sees her he will look at her and only occasionally become overly interested in her. When he does he chases her but never touches her and usually becomes quickly distracted. The cat is about 4-5yrs old and she's been an only child for a while. There was a time when we had a 2nd cat before giving it back to a friend and she dealt okay with that cat but back then she had a three story house to territorize. She has gained about 10 pounds in a month and a half and we've seen her throw up her food (something she NEVER did before) and she is eating a lot more. She also cries a lot more now.
Up until a few days ago she was doing "okay" with the ferret, but recently she's been "stalking" him and attacking him, just hitting him with her paw (possibly with claws but he's never been hurt so not sure) and I'm afraid she might try to kill him.

I love my ferret, but I also love her. Does anyone have any suggestions for helping their kitty ferret relationship?

Yvonne Belisle
February 4th, 2005, 11:18 PM
Lots of attention to both of them is all I can think of.

Maggie
February 4th, 2005, 11:25 PM
I've had my ferret for about a month now and he is adjusting well to the apartment and to the cat. When he's out to play and he sees her he will look at her and only occasionally become overly interested in her. When he does he chases her but never touches her and usually becomes quickly distracted. The cat is about 4-5yrs old and she's been an only child for a while. There was a time when we had a 2nd cat before giving it back to a friend and she dealt okay with that cat but back then she had a three story house to territorize. She has gained about 10 pounds in a month and a half and we've seen her throw up her food (something she NEVER did before) and she is eating a lot more. She also cries a lot more now.
Up until a few days ago she was doing "okay" with the ferret, but recently she's been "stalking" him and attacking him, just hitting him with her paw (possibly with claws but he's never been hurt so not sure) and I'm afraid she might try to kill him.

I love my ferret, but I also love her. Does anyone have any suggestions for helping their kitty ferret relationship?

Actually the ferret skin and fur is so tough that the cat is unlikely to hurt the ferret that way. You're cat sounds a bit unusual in that it sounds like the cat is trying to get the ferret to play with her. We've had cats and ferrets but our cats generally get up somewhere high and looked down their noses at the ferrets. I'd suggest just keeping an eye on them when they're together. It's actually possible they could make friends, my husband did have one cat who liked to play with a ferret.

Maggie

Black RiverWolf
February 5th, 2005, 02:26 PM
our kitts do that to the ferrets even the dog plays with them. jus tmake sure that you watch the cat around the ferret they should be okay it will take a long time for a cat to adjust. it tooks ours forver just except a new house.

mountain spirit
February 5th, 2005, 09:36 PM
don't worry....your kitty is used to getting all the attention...all of a sudden here comes this creature that everyone is paying attention too...cuz lets face it...ferrets are like kittens that never grow up...and kitty isn't the center of attention...it's like garfield and nermal....nermal being the ferret...your kitty won't hurt the ferret....ferrets are very tough and love to play rough....lol..good luck..:)