PDA

View Full Version : Folk-medieval-witchy music???

Raevy
September 30th, 2001, 06:01 AM
Can anyone recommend any good artists that make good, witchy folk music?

I love Blackmore's Night, Mediaeval Baebes and Elaine Silver and am searching for similar stuff.

Any recommendations? :)

Armitage
September 30th, 2001, 12:14 PM
Try Mortiis. It's dark, but very nice.

Danustouch
October 1st, 2001, 11:02 AM
Hmmm....well...I love Clannad for medeivil/witchy sounds. Pendragon is good too. I also love Loreena Mckennit for the same reason. But...odd as it may seem, some of the best interpretation of old witchy folk songs I've found...were done by..get this...Judy Collins!!!!!! She does a stunning version of Barbara Allen, and a Stunning version of "black is the color of my true loves hair". I highly reccommend them. I also like some stuff by Altan, and some stuff by Capercaille, mostly celtic, but some of it has a very medeivil feel to it.

Swanspirit
October 1st, 2001, 11:39 AM
dont purport to be witches........ but some of their music is incredible ...... the Voyage of the Sea Witch has boat creaking sounds ...... along with the stunning voices and incomparable
(except maybe YO YO MA LOL) instrumental work of the women ........
http://www.angelsofvenice.com/
then there is Emerald Rose, Kiva, Avalon Rising......many others.....
Love and Light
Swannie

Danustouch
October 1st, 2001, 11:43 AM
I also highly reccomend Christy Moore. He does a song called the Green man, a song called The Burning Times, and a song called God Woman, that are VERY witchy, and amazing. Much of his other stuff is Irish Folk Music. ALL of it is worth a good listen. I also really love the Riverdance Soundtrack, the Rob Roy Soundtrack, the BraveHeart Soundtrack. And actually, much of the Brothers McMullen soundtrack for Celtic Folk Music.

Raevy
October 2nd, 2001, 06:18 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions!!!

I love Loreena McKennit and the Riverdance Soundtrack :heartthro Especially Bonnie Portmore (I confess, it's the Highlander-Fan in me 8O)

Ravensnest
October 2nd, 2001, 06:28 PM
Give Henryk Go`recki's Symphony No. 3 a listen... if that's not spiritual nothing is!:p
You should find it in the classical section.. wonderful.

Shadowulfe
October 9th, 2001, 01:55 PM
Dreamtrybe-websiteClick here! (http://www.dreamtrybe.com)

Direwolf-Direwolf homepage (http://www.canisdirus.com)

they both have MP3's to download to listen to

i seen both in concert when i lived in Indiana...they rock!

Armitage
October 10th, 2001, 11:32 AM
Delerium's CD Poem. Has quite a few incredible female singers on it, including the Baebes.

Xois
October 10th, 2001, 02:26 PM
*shameless self-promotion*

Well, I have a radiostation on the web at www.wpbn.net that broadcasts a13 hour loop of music...mabye you will find something on there that interest you!

Ball-Bhreac Ron
October 10th, 2001, 04:02 PM
*sigh* Wolfstone!! :):):)

Willow Polson
November 7th, 2001, 01:51 AM
I've already seen some of my top suggestions mentioned, and I've gotten a bit lost, so I'll just list them all and you can ignore or not:

Jethro Tull
Mediaeval Baebes
Loreena McKennitt
Enya
XTC
Gaia's Voice
Butterfly Tree
Velvet Hammer
Heart
Libana
Jon Anderson
Yes
Genesis
The Chieftans

And of course there's my Live 365 internet radio station which plays most of the above... 8-)

http://www.live365.com/cgi-bin/directory.cgi?autostart=willowpolson

story
November 8th, 2001, 12:29 AM
might also wanna try fairport convention

Theres
November 8th, 2001, 03:13 AM
Fairport Convention! wow, there's a blast from the past.
Willow, i love your list! i've always been a big XTC fan (one of the few that got to see them live), and their new stuff is great (like, uhh... 'Greenman'!). and Yes is one of my favorites too. not really 'witchy', but certainly spiritual. and old Genesis (with Peter Gabriel) is very mythological. early Strawbs too.
Loreena, Dead Can Dance, Kim Robertson all have good Pagany stuff.
is anyone familiar with Ian Corrigan? he does alot of the old traditional Pagan folk songs, like 'Oak and Ash and Thorn', 'Hal 'n Toe', 'The Holly She Bears a Berry' and lots of the 'classics'. good fireside stuff.

LunaWitch
November 8th, 2001, 02:10 PM
It may not be exatly what you are looking for, but I love the band
Skyclad.
I believe Martin (lead singer ...although he just left the band recently) is Pagan. I highly recommend their first 3 albums, IF you like some Folk-Metal music. (I'm a metal head so.... LOL)
Their new stuff isn't bad mind you it's just getting a little more folky a little less metally LOL
I believe their website is http://www.skyclad.uk
I havent visited it in a bit. Check em out :)

Willow Polson
November 8th, 2001, 02:29 PM
Yes, Greenman, I got a bit carried away with my list! Many of those on it aren't folk/medieval/witchy, but they are definitely spiritual and speak to the Pagan heart. And did anyone else but me notice the words on the back of XTC's Apple Venus album -- "Do what ye will but harm none."

winkwinknudgenudge....!

And oh yeah! Dead Can Dance! How could I forget them? And a lot of the modern Celtic bands do the traditional songs that we hold so dear, so any really good one will have folk/medieval/witchy music. I've heard the Waterboys are good, but don't have any of their stuff. Can anyone comment?

Oh, and some of Yes' stuff is very Pagan if you listen carefully, especially what Jon wrote and his solo stuff too. I know he's worked with Huna masters in Hawaii, has done a little (at least) with Angelics and the Fae, and believes in Mother Earth as an entity, not just an idea. Anyway.... Especially check out "Take the Water to the Mountain" on the Union album, one of my faves! "Hurry Home" is another good one (solo albums) and "Real Love" off of Talk.

Theres
November 8th, 2001, 03:19 PM
Yes definately crosses all spiritual boundries, inclusing Christianity.
i've seen them 9 times, going all the way back to 'Tales From Topographic Oceans', but the 'Union' tour may have been the best
(which surprised me!). unfortunately i found the 'Talk' tour to be rather dissappointing (good venue, bad sound).
i recently posted the lyrics to 'Gates of Delirium' on another board. it just seemed SO topical with the Afganistan situation right now. uncanny really!

btw, that was the first thing i noticed on the 'Apple Venus' album.
how ironic. Andy Partridge had always seemed SO anti-religion.
i saw them back in '81 with a friend who has since become a Christian fundie. we had many interesting debates over 'Dear God'. "they'll come around" he kept saying. well, they sure did! all the way around (lol). but i think it was pretty obvious just from the song titles. 'Harvest Festival', 'Greenman', 'The Wheel and the Maypole'. you won't hear those coming from Stryper!

so speaking of old English folk-dinosaurs, how about Renaissance, Pentangle or Lindisfarne? there's some good witchy stuff there too.

HerbGurl
November 10th, 2001, 10:03 PM
Wendy Rule's Zero is excellent. I also like Kim Fox's I Wanna Be a Witch!! It puts a smile on my face everytime I listen to it!!
:)
For other stuff, I like Altan, Loreena Mckennit, Capercaille, Anuna (They are a Celtic-Christian group, but their music is very very soothing), and Acoustic Alchemy. I pretty much listen to anythign and everything, except rap and all of that newer crud on the radio.
Blessings,
HerbGurl