PDA

View Full Version : Heathen

Sempre Solipsist
February 17th, 2005, 09:44 AM
Any heathens about? I'm curious about online resources, the best place to find the sagas and eddas...the different traditions within the Heathen community and so forth.

Mjollnir
February 17th, 2005, 10:00 AM
Any heathens about? I'm curious about online resources, the best place to find the sagas and eddas...the different traditions within the Heathen community and so forth.

Heilsa Sempre,
Northvegr.org is probably the best site to start with, it has pretty much everything you need. If you want, check out the heathenry class in the Circle of Teachings section and their are also other threads in the Paths and Gods and Goddesses sections also.
Wassail,
MJ

mucgwyrt
February 17th, 2005, 03:21 PM
I follow a heathen path; Anglo-Saxon "heathenry" rather than the continental which most 'heathens' favour xx

Mjollnir
February 17th, 2005, 04:11 PM
I follow a heathen path; Anglo-Saxon "heathenry" rather than the continental which most 'heathens' favour xx

spoken like a true Theod.

mucgwyrt
February 18th, 2005, 04:22 PM
spoken like a true Theod.
;)

zilith
February 18th, 2005, 04:32 PM
Sorry for being ignorant but I thought that heathen just meant someone who hasn't been introduced to christianity.

Rick
February 18th, 2005, 05:50 PM
Heathen is the term used by many who follow a pre-xtian Northern European path so as to distinguish themselves from wiccans, witches, etc.

Hangatyr 13
February 28th, 2005, 12:39 AM
Any heathens about? I'm curious about online resources, the best place to find the sagas and eddas...the different traditions within the Heathen community and so forth.You wouldn't happen to go by the name "Instinct" on www.asatrulore.org would you? If not, there are a few other heathens in your area who you might want to meet.

Online resources? Hmmm...

www.northvegr.org The Northvegr Foundation. This one's all about Heathni. Mjollnir's already mentioned this one, and it does have allot of good resources on it, but I'll give you fair warning: The people who run this site have been outlawed for larceny and slander by the Logretta, a Vinlandic Heathen lawmaking body composed of leaders from many different kindreds and national and international orgs including the Asatru Alliance, the Asatru Folk Assembly, the Troth, and the Rune Gild. No offence, Mjollnir. I just thought I'd put that out there.

www.asatru.org The Asatru Alliance. I like this site not only because I like the organization itself (even though I have no intention of joining), but because it has online copies of the Havamal and the Voluspa (both are poems in the Poetic Edda incase you didn't know).

www.thetroth.org The Troth. I'll be joining this org very soon. They may seem alittle fluffy, but what they are is very well organized and connected, which is good when you move around allot like me. Their website has allot of interesting articles and stewards for every state who can tell you were to find other heathens in your area. They're also allot more occult-oriented than most other Heathen orgs.

www.irminsul.org (I hope I got that address right) This site has allot of good links on it. Give it a peek. :thumbsup:

Nantonos
March 19th, 2005, 03:35 AM

Saxony is on the 'continent', no? Both the Angles and the Saxons originated in continental Europe, so I assume their practices did too. Or did their practices change a lot once they were settled in Britain? If so, what caused that and do you have examples?

omar
March 24th, 2005, 05:53 PM
Some times i'm called a Heathen but they are mostly Vikings and i'm Welch, do I qualify?

mucgwyrt
March 26th, 2005, 10:49 PM
There's not much solid evidence either way, but you can gather simply from the name-changes of the dieties as well as general language changes (the language changed enough within 400 years that the second wave of invaders had trouble unserdtanding the 1st) that there was some divergance - we just dont know how much because nothing was really written down until the 9th-11th centuries, so we can't compare the pre-migration beliefs to the post-migration ones.

Although they came from the same place, language and culture inevitabley developed independently of oneaother in both countries, and so its logical to assume that religeon did also. There is know way to know, for example, that Woden/Odin was thought to have done the whle hanging-from-the-tree business pre-migration, since its thought that runes were introduced into the country as late as the 7th century and the Eddas/Sagas weren't written til the 11th. It couild be that it was a much later (ie post 5thc) invention, which was purely contiental; although there's no way of knowing (which is precisely my point).

xx

Nantonos
March 27th, 2005, 07:35 AM
There's not much solid evidence either way, but you can gather simply from the name-changes of the dieties as well as general language changes (the language changed enough within 400 years that the second wave of invaders had trouble unserdtanding the 1st) that there was some divergance - we just dont know how much

Yes, that makes sense. Thanks!

mothwench
March 27th, 2005, 09:58 AM
wassail again, morning star.

i'm still in the learning stage of my path, and up until now, my studies have been largely heathen. i intend to incorporate other cultural aspects in my path, such as those of the scots and the irish, foreign to heathenry but not to me, as they all make up my ancestory. but i haven't got to that point yet, so at the moment, i guess i should say yes, i'm heathen. :smile:

mucgwyrt
March 27th, 2005, 10:28 AM
Yes, that makes sense. Thanks!
Youre welcome :smile: xx