PDA

View Full Version : Do any of you

flar7
October 2nd, 2001, 12:36 AM
believe the idea of history repeating itself, or that those who dont remember the past are condemned to repeat it?

SamuraiInBlack
October 2nd, 2001, 11:17 AM
Yes. I know it to be true. I keep messing with my computer and everytime I mess with it it kinda dies. LMAO!

BUt yeah, seriously, I think that applies. But I believe that it happens to those who choose not to take a lesson to heart for the things that do happen.

Danustouch
October 2nd, 2001, 12:11 PM
Yes..I do believe that i we fail to learn lessons from the past, that we are doomed to repeat them. That, imo, is what reincarnation, and karma exist for. Karma..to help us learn the lessons, and reincarnation, so that when we fail to..we repeat it until we DO.

Some recent examples of this? There was a plane hijacking in ...i think it was '98, in France. The Hijackers were from a radical islamic group, and they fueled it to three times the needed fuel. They strung wires from one side of the plane to the other (the detinator)..and planned to crash it into the Eiffell Tower. They were unsuccessful, but killed three passengers. So, America was aware that this was one possible method terrorists would use, but we didn't tighten security in our airlines enough to avoid this recent attack. We should have learned..and we didn't. This isn't an anti government statement, and I don't want to start off a thread about who's to blame for the recent attacks, but I'm using it simply as an example of how we can learn from the past...but often..we don't. This creates MAJOR problems.

Dria El
October 2nd, 2001, 01:04 PM
Oh definitely! And you're exactly right Danu.

:)

loopy
October 2nd, 2001, 11:48 PM
Absolutely. I don't see how anyone could *not* believe it, but that's just me. :)

maythen
October 2nd, 2001, 11:51 PM
Yes. History does repeat itself - over and over and over again, it seems.

There is a book, "The Fourthturning" by William Straus(I think it's William). He studied the trends of generations. I've yet to check it out, but apparently he outlines how every 30 years or so the big guys decide to go blow up a few bombs at the expense of the little guys.

Hopefully, this trend will end before we destroy the entire world.

Al-Yasa
November 27th, 2007, 09:32 AM
Yes. History does repeat itself - over and over and over again, it seems.

There is a book, "The Fourthturning" by William Straus(I think it's William). He studied the trends of generations. I've yet to check it out, but apparently he outlines how every 30 years or so the big guys decide to go blow up a few bombs at the expense of the little guys.

Hopefully, this trend will end before we destroy the entire world.

kinda makes ya wonder how civilations ever got along without wepons as sufficient at killing as ours are today. becuase it seems more and more to me that goverment is only good for murder past and present

Myzterio
November 27th, 2007, 09:53 AM
History does, more or less, have a tendency to repeat itself.

An example of this are Kondratiev Waves (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kondratiev_Waves).

I don't really think it's anything to do with 'learning from our mistakes' or 'karma', it's just a psychological predisposition. Call it 'determinism', if you want.

David19
November 27th, 2007, 11:22 AM
I'm not sure if history repeats itself, I think in some cases it does, for example, the U.S. is like the Roman Empire - a great superpower, thinking its values are the "best" in the world, and also waging a war in the Middle East (in ancient times, it was the Jews who were being persecuted, now its Arab Muslims), and I have read that the U.S. will fall like Rome did, who knows maybe Bin Laden and Al Queda are like the "enemies at the gate" in ancient Rome, the ones who brought Rome down.

Although part of me doesn't hope history repeats itself, for example, will there be another Holocaust inflicted on the Jews and LGBT people?.

monsnoleedra
November 27th, 2007, 11:35 AM
What David19 said is real close to what China told the US many years ago. In reference to the dynastic cycle of civilizations, it was pointed out that we should make no enemies while on the top for all nations must fall and then the old enemies remember and try for revenge.

A bit rudamentery in analysis but relatively correct if one looks at the feeding freenzy that takes place after the fall of a major social structure. Look to Post Communist Russia and satelites and you'll see the post dynastic period or even the warlord period of old China. The same could be said of post Spanish dominance, Post English dominance, etc.

Haerfest Leah
November 27th, 2007, 11:39 AM
No one is condemned to repeat anything, shit just happens.

Also, being a histoy major, I do not believe history repeats itself. Certain events may seem similar to something in the past but they are never the same. The time, causes, people, the outcomes etc are always different.

My Western Civ teacher had us read this huge article last year from the 90's on the comparison David 19 mentioned of the U.S. to Rome, it was interesting but....it's not really the same.