View Full Version : Culture Wars

Earth Walker
October 4th, 2001, 11:04 AM
People claim that they want to live in peace, but why then do
we continue to have so much conflict? Is there something about
human nature which makes it inevitable?
Atheism guide Austin Cline reviews a new book that addresses
the problem.

http://atheism.about.com/library/books/politics/bl_books_CultureWars.htm?PM=n30100401c

Xander67
October 4th, 2001, 06:19 PM
Atheism does not solve the problem,
perhaps a more "Enlightened approach" say, RESPECT for one's individuality and personal beliefs without imposeing on another...yeah that is a good start..

Luv and Light Bulbs
Xander:cool:

Illuminatus
October 5th, 2001, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by Xander67
Atheism does not solve the problem,
perhaps a more "Enlightened approach" say, RESPECT for one's individuality and personal beliefs without imposeing on another...yeah that is a good start..

Luv and Light Bulbs
Xander:cool:

1) There are no Atheists in foxholes :)

2) When did an Atheist ever engage in a religious war?

This book guy is on to something. Pity it won't catch on. His own tennants, while they are both good and true, don't achieve dominance in the memepool.

Kaylara
October 5th, 2001, 02:06 PM
Memepool? LMAO! I love it!

Kaylara

Swanspirit
October 5th, 2001, 02:11 PM
Ummm... when the Soviet Union tried to wipe out religion altogether as the "OPIUM OF THE PEOPLE???????? How many people died in that "war"???

Love and Light
Swannie

Xander67
October 5th, 2001, 02:17 PM
OMG good one swannie good one,

however, it was not a religious war
it was a battle for the mind

ateists rely on mental prowess and do not acknowledge spirituallity

Swanspirit
October 5th, 2001, 02:26 PM
people still went to prison lost custody of children .....died .... for attempting to practice ANY religion.........
I was just thinking the other day that the situation we are in with the terrorists we are fighting now .......isnt really that far off from how the colonists viewed the Native Americans when they came to this country......
They ( the terrorists) cannot possible grasp the vastness of the civilisation they abominate and really think they can bring down and return to their fundamentalist views...... We see them as backwards and savages.....and have branded them as evil..... and they are desperately trying to hold on to their way of life, which we see as intolerable and oppressive ......
and we are RIGHT Of course......but how many years hence will we be attemtping to preserve some history of that "culture" .......
I know this is a stretch .... and I havent ecven thought it out entirely and I am not sure if I agree with my own train of thought yet......
any offerings yea or nay??

Love and light
Swannie

Myst
October 5th, 2001, 02:31 PM
Hm last time I checked the Natives weren't flying loaded planes into buildings when the colonists show up, and last I checked the U.S. wasn't waltzing over to kill all the people of Afghanistan so they could have that country either.

People think they want peace, sure, but obviously he's right - why is there so much conflict then? I think it's human nature - ego, pride, wanting what the other guy's got - regardless of the race or religion involved.

Xander67
October 5th, 2001, 02:32 PM
quote Swannie
and I havent ecven thought it out entirely and I am not sure if I agree with my own train of thought yet......
any offerings yea or nay??

how are we suposed to know where you stand then if you keep switching seats???:p

Swanspirit
October 5th, 2001, 02:40 PM
idea about the planes ...... but once the Natives obtained weapons like rifles....... they made very good and lethal use of them.... I dont think this idea is going to turn out to be an EXACT analogy ... but it might have some pertinent parallels.............
I am just thinking along the lines of what has usually happened when a "more advanced" civilsation encounters or has to deal with one deemed not as advanced........there are so many examples in history ..........
Perhaps we could gain some advantage from not repeating some mistakes???
Love and light
Swannie
oh and Xander ..... you do know about the
moving target thingy?? LOL TAKES OFF THE BULLSEYE and hands it to XANDER .......hehehehe

Xander67
October 5th, 2001, 02:51 PM
well, I must admit I found your thougts interesting however
I do see a problem with the moving target idea....:o

when I take a stand I dont switch seats.....so therefore it wouldnt be right to accept an award I dont deserve......hands you back the moving target :)

Myst
October 5th, 2001, 02:58 PM
I think the mistakes have already been repeated

Xander67
October 5th, 2001, 03:00 PM
it never ends its like a circle LOL

same plot only the names and dates are different

just like a remake of a movie *ut oh, ima get clobbered now :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Swanspirit
October 5th, 2001, 03:16 PM
think out loud sometimes ........and dont immediately take a stand one way or another ......and this was just some out loud thinking ..... about Culture wars .......... which aer more deadly than culture clashes........
and mistakes have bveen made over and over .... how do we stop??
Love and light
Swannie
Throws away the target ...:nyah:
which reminds me ........... LOL

Nyah nyah nyah nyah nayh that little ditty is a cultural universal LOL found in ever known culture .. tells us something about ourselves........:rolleyes:

Illuminatus
October 5th, 2001, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by Willow Raven
Hm last time I checked the Natives weren't flying loaded planes into buildings when the colonists show up, and last I checked the U.S. wasn't waltzing over to kill all the people of Afghanistan so they could have that country either.

That's because... you don't live.. in "magical
swannie land" .. where everything.. she says..
"makes sense"...

GoddessofWisdom
October 5th, 2001, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by Illuminatus
[B]

B]

ROFLMFAM

Xander67
October 5th, 2001, 04:16 PM
quote Ill

"makes sense"...

whos said it made any sense ?? LOL

Illuminatus
October 5th, 2001, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by Xander67
quote Ill

"makes sense"...

whos said it made any sense ?? LOL

That's my point, you goon

Xander67
October 5th, 2001, 05:10 PM
oh