PDA

View Full Version : Questions And Answers About Direct Action

Earth Walker
October 5th, 2001, 08:10 AM
Former Squamish Five member Anne Hanson talks about the
place of sabotage as an agent of social and political change,
the mistakes she made and the book she's written.
"We didn't see ourselves as terrorists." by Peter Steven
http://www.rabble.ca/everyones_a_critic.shtml?x=2821

xjsjaglvr
October 5th, 2001, 10:14 AM
Sabotage, despite lofty intentions IS terrorism. If you set off a bomb in an empty building after the workers are gone do you believe they are not afraid to go back in and resume their work. When some earth firster spikes a tree and it tears up a band saw at the lumber mill does that not scare the man who works the saw. When O when will you people learn that there is a system in place to change society already, the ballot box. Use it. Destroying property only tells the world you are frustrated because the majority of people think your ideas are rubbish and you can't muster the real support you need to make changes the legal way. Try this shit in some less advanced country in the world and you will find out what real terror is.

Danustouch
October 5th, 2001, 01:47 PM
Agreed Jag. To me, the destructive tendencies of some of these radical groups, is just like a kid throwing a tantrum, and tearing up his bedroom when he's ticked off at Mom. To me, it solves NOTHING.

(knowing I'm going to get slammed for this).

Myst
October 5th, 2001, 02:04 PM
Not only does it solve nothing but it also reinforces why he's a kid.

Illuminatus
October 5th, 2001, 03:50 PM
I lean with you guys on this one... but I think that you CAN commit sabotage without being a terrorist. Just because there's such a broad definition of sabotage. You can sabotage someone's project just by finding a way to cut their funding, or bind them up with bureaucratic red tape. It can be done discretely, but doesn't need to inspire fear.

While blowing stuff up and hurting people, well that's terrorism, no debate there.

Then there's the middle ground. But just straight up property damage and pouring sugar into gas tanks, well, c'mon, is that really terrorism? What construction worker is going to be afraid to go to work just because his bulldozer's engine gets toasted one morning?

- Ill