PDA

View Full Version : I have some questions about Hinduism

Forever Your Ragdoll
March 3rd, 2005, 09:08 PM
Hey there! Hmm...over the past few months I've been mosying around the internet, trying to collect info on Hinduism. So there are a few things that I'm wondering about that I can't seem to find on MW or other sites. So...

1) What does Namaste mean?
2) How do Hindus pray on a daily basis?
3) What does a Hindu altar look like/need?
4) Where can I get statues of Hindu deities?

Thanks for anyone who's kind enough to answer :yourock: . These questions have been nagging at my brain for a while now. Thanks again!

BenSt
March 3rd, 2005, 10:32 PM
OOooo, yay...I get to be first in this one as well...woot! Well, I am not 'Hindu' but I consider several of my past lives to have been Hindu dominated.

Ok, first question, namaste (regional variation namaskare in Bengal) means "I worship, or praise the piece of God inside of you". It is followed by the Namaste Mudra of placing your hands together.

Second question: Its a big question. there are thousands of ways. Most mainstream Hindus do the five daily prayers. They also pray at diferent times dpeending which Devas they follow...midday can be for Surya, the Sun God...night time can be specifically for Kali/Durga and Shiva/Bhairava/Nataraja/Linga...etc. There are basicly three forms of prayer rituels that I have been able to see...meditation, Puja, and singing if Bhajans and Artis (soemtiems Mantras, but they can be done anytime). Puja is the ceremony of awakening the deva in it's Murti (statue) and offering it sustanence while praying at the same time. Bhajans and Artis are traditional poems and songs, praising the Devas.

Third question, again it depends what deva or sect you wish to be part of. On most alters there are the main murtis, flowers, an aum symbol, chimes, incense, and candles. That is the most basic. On my alter there are pictures of my teachers, as well as other objects of value that I wish Kali (my matron) to bless.

Last question...anywhere. I find that mostly Indian stores, and metaphyscial stores carry atleast some Murtis (albeit small). There is no special place to get them, although if I were you I would look into getting one through a Mandir gift shop, or importing from companies in India.

I hope these have helped...if you have any further questions there are several great Hindu oritented people on this website...they are all chock full of knowledge of more specific sects...I hope they will soon join here :). Namaste!

Tobias

farm girl
March 4th, 2005, 12:15 AM
The poster above gave really great explanations! I was involved in a Hindu temple for a long time. A wonderful community! As to where to get Hindu Statues.... Someone from my temple recommended this place online that is awesome. It is a "wholesale" place though, so you have to spend $100 at a time. They sell so many things though so it is easy to spend that spend. The have puja (worship) items, silk scarves, statues, posters, incense, bindis, candles, candleholders, you get the picture! Here is the link!
http://www.omimports.com

Depending where you live, Indian stores have a nice selection. There are some nice Indian stores in Philly. When I go up to NYC, there are some awesome places in Little India. I imagine most big cities would have SOME Indian shopping.

Forever Your Ragdoll
March 4th, 2005, 05:14 PM
OOooo, yay...I get to be first in this one as well...woot! Well, I am not 'Hindu' but I consider several of my past lives to have been Hindu dominated.

Ok, first question, namaste (regional variation namaskare in Bengal) means "I worship, or praise the piece of God inside of you". It is followed by the Namaste Mudra of placing your hands together.

Second question: Its a big question. there are thousands of ways. Most mainstream Hindus do the five daily prayers. They also pray at diferent times dpeending which Devas they follow...midday can be for Surya, the Sun God...night time can be specifically for Kali/Durga and Shiva/Bhairava/Nataraja/Linga...etc. There are basicly three forms of prayer rituels that I have been able to see...meditation, Puja, and singing if Bhajans and Artis (soemtiems Mantras, but they can be done anytime). Puja is the ceremony of awakening the deva in it's Murti (statue) and offering it sustanence while praying at the same time. Bhajans and Artis are traditional poems and songs, praising the Devas.

Third question, again it depends what deva or sect you wish to be part of. On most alters there are the main murtis, flowers, an aum symbol, chimes, incense, and candles. That is the most basic. On my alter there are pictures of my teachers, as well as other objects of value that I wish Kali (my matron) to bless.

Last question...anywhere. I find that mostly Indian stores, and metaphyscial stores carry atleast some Murtis (albeit small). There is no special place to get them, although if I were you I would look into getting one through a Mandir gift shop, or importing from companies in India.

I hope these have helped...if you have any further questions there are several great Hindu oritented people on this website...they are all chock full of knowledge of more specific sects...I hope they will soon join here :). Namaste!

Tobias

May I ask what the five daily prayers are? And,may I ask if you know Ganesh's mantra?
Are there any sects you can inform me about?
Thanks so much!

BenSt
March 5th, 2005, 12:16 AM
Damn, the only things I dont know about lol...Ummm, ummmm....*pokes other people for help*...As far as I know, and that have been explained to me by my Hindu friends is that they are five prayers devoted to Shiva, Vishnu, Surya, Agni, and I cant rememebr the last one...then again I could be completly wrong...my friends tend to like to mislead me soemtimes (just so i can learn things on my own lol).

As for the sects...now thats soemthing I know. Basicly a sect follows a certain mini pantheon within mainstream Hinduism. There are three kmain sects and then many other smaller sects devoted to smaller minor devas. The three main ones are Vaishnavas, which honour Vishnu/Krishna...a good example of these would be the Hare Krishnas of ISKON (who are a Bhakti sect within Vaishnavism). Shivites, the sect honouring Lord Shiva, are also very powerful...rivaling Vaishnavas. Shaktas who honour different forms of the Goddess, or Ultimate Goddess DEVI. There are then many smaller sects honouring different minor devas. Ganapatyas for Ganesh, theres also a sect honouring Ayyapan, and one for Kali called Kalites (there was a major cult called the Thugii who worshipped Kali exclusivly)...however her sect is more or less synnonymous with the Shaktas.

Now, within the main sects there are many different subsects...like I mentioned before, the ISKON is a form of Krishna Bhakti founded by Sri Chaitanya about 600 years ago (is that right?)...Bhakti is basicly the monotheistic, personalized love and adoring of a certain Deva. Mostly involved with the idea of the Bhagwan (the ultimate personalitiy) that has generally been given to Krishna/Rama/Vishnu. Bhaktism was probably influenced by Islam or Christianity.

As for Ganapati's manra..I cant say for sure, since i don't worship him. There are soem pseudo Ganapatyas on the site here...if they come to this topic i'm sue thye woukld be able to give you mauch more detailed answer than me...and probably correct as well hehehe.

Namaste

Tobias

BenSt
March 5th, 2005, 12:35 AM
Oh...Im talking to my friend Noya, who lives in montreal and is born Bengali...here is what he says about soem fot he vaishnava rituels:

He told me about how he worships Radha and Krishna...and a 'simple' way to offer worship to a Hindu deity, I add my own comments in ( ):

.,,.*۞Krishna۞*`.,,.- more then you think! says:
u take ur bath in the morning
`.,,.*۞Krishna۞*`.,,.- more then you think! says:
u buy some gateh rosme fresh flowers (Each hindu Deva has a special flower)
u can decorate ur body with tilak of sandle wood pulp (A Tilak is the traditional symbols of the sect, verticle lines for Vishnu, horizontal for Shiva)
awake the deity
offer flower to their feet
with devotioon water
fresh fruits
then resides some mantra nice mantra written by devotees ( Im not quite sure he means this)
offer respect after the puja
thats all

I hope that helped :).

Namaste

Tobias

p.s. He also gave me this site for you...perhaps a Ganesha Mantra on it? http://stephen-knapp.com/a_little_book_of_prayers_mantras_gayatris.htm

Forever Your Ragdoll
March 5th, 2005, 11:46 AM
Oh...Im talking to my friend Noya, who lives in montreal and is born Bengali...here is what he says about soem fot he vaishnava rituels:

He told me about how he worships Radha and Krishna...and a 'simple' way to offer worship to a Hindu deity, I add my own comments in ( ):

.,,.*۞Krishna۞*`.,,.- more then you think! says:
u take ur bath in the morning
u buy some gateh rosme fresh flowers (Each hindu Deva has a special flower)
u can decorate ur body with tilak of sandle wood pulp (A Tilak is the traditional symbols of the sect, verticle lines for Vishnu, horizontal for Shiva)
awake the deity
offer flower to their feet
with devotioon water
fresh fruits
then resides some mantra nice mantra written by devotees ( Im not quite sure he means this)
offer respect after the puja
thats all

I hope that helped :).

Namaste

Tobias

p.s. He also gave me this site for you...perhaps a Ganesha Mantra on it? http://stephen-knapp.com/a_little_book_of_prayers_mantras_gayatris.htm

Thanks so much! That site is extremely helpful. It has tons of prayers. Thanks again :reading: