PDA

View Full Version : People Families

Pure Ahimsa
March 4th, 2005, 07:28 PM
I would just like to know, who here is part of a Pagan Family and/or is trying to raise Pagan Children? It'd be interesting to read your experiences. :bad:

Kyra Kismet
March 4th, 2005, 07:32 PM
I wasn't raised Pagan by my real mom, but we didn't celebrate Xmas either. Then when I came to live with my dad he did raise me in his beliefs but also let me find my own.

Rhianna813
March 4th, 2005, 07:50 PM
I was not raised in a Pagan family but my parents were not very religious. And my mom was into astrology and by the time the 80's rolled around she was really New Agey. So in my teen years we both explored a lot of divination, the ideas of chakras, energy in crystals and plants, etc... So this naturally led me to Paganism in my 20's......and now I'm 36. Whoa.....

I am married to a Pagan man and we have a toddler. We will happily teach him about all religions and diversity in general. Because our extended families are not very religious he probably won't be exposed to very much Christianity. But he will be exposed to our view of Paganism and how it fits into our daily lives. If I chose to have (family friendly) Sabbat celebrations at our house my sister said I could invite her kids too. That will be fun!

So all in all I am very happy with my situation!

Rhianna

soilsigh aingeal
March 4th, 2005, 07:56 PM
I will raise open minded children and let them decide.

edit: I was raised "Methodist" but we only really celebrated Christmas and Easter. I remember going to sunday school when I was younger, maybe up until age 7-8. And then I started asking questions. When I was in middle school, I used to spend the night with my best friend on the weekends and we had to go to church on Sunday, which was when I wouldn't take "because the bible says so" for an answer so I became athiest and then agnostic. Still I'm pretty much agnostic and I have only 2 beliefs

Pure Ahimsa
March 4th, 2005, 07:57 PM
Heh I meant Pagan Families not People Families.

soilsigh aingeal
March 4th, 2005, 07:59 PM
If you're using the "MW @ Work" setting it changes pagan to people

Pure Ahimsa
March 4th, 2005, 11:00 PM
If you're using the "MW @ Work" setting it changes pagan to people

Hmmm.... why? And Im not at work, I don't have a job yet.... confused.

Ceres
March 5th, 2005, 10:26 AM
I was a raised catholic, which as everyone knows is as close as one can get to being pagan, without actually being pagan ;)
I am raising my kids to decide for themselves. I want them to really develop their own spirituality, a relationship with the divine, not live mine or my husband's.

lovemy1dane
March 5th, 2005, 10:37 AM
I was not raised pagan, and I let my kids choose their own path. My DD is pagan, but my DS has not decided, he seems to be leaning towards some strange form of christianity. (he takes bits and pieces of different religions and mixes it all up) What ever works for him. He seems happy with it so more power to him!

Ziana
March 7th, 2005, 04:52 PM
my SO and I are both Pagan, as is my daughters father, so we are able to raise her in a Pagan environment without much problem, execpt from her paternal grandmother, but we pretty much ignore her anyway. My SO's son's mother however is a Born Again Christian, who knows my SO's beliefs, and made it a point to send a bible with his son when he came for Spring Break. This should be interesting.

ravenmyst
March 8th, 2005, 11:47 AM
I am pagan, my sons father doesnt mind, the ex step doesnt get a say. I now attend a UU church to give the kid a varied religious education but they are using pagan as their religious identity

Kalika
March 8th, 2005, 02:15 PM
My son is only a little over a month old, so we haven't had any religious or philosophical discussion yet. :) But... its my goal to raise him to choose his own path, and educate him in the different religions, so that he can do what feels right to him. I'm not going to make him follow the same ideals that I do, because I don't believe that's fair. When he's old enough to make the choice... then he will.

I was raised a Methodist, though neither of my parents is very religious. But, they are not very open minded either, so growing up, I wasn't open with them about my beliefs, and that meant that I kept ALOT of things from them. I don't want my son, or any other children I may have, to feel that way.

Kalika
March 8th, 2005, 02:23 PM
Hmmm.... why? And Im not at work, I don't have a job yet.... confused.

I believe the reason that MW @ Work changes it is to protect those who do not want their co-workers to know that they are Pagan, and to keep any "prying eyes" from knowing that as well.

lil_suzie
March 10th, 2005, 07:49 AM
My dads pagan and he raised me with his belifes but I donno
what kind of "experiences" your looking for, mine are all pretty
boring and no difrent then anyones I guess.
We dont get no trouble for it from people, no one knows about it
cos we live alone and don't realy have any family but each other,
well theres my grandparents but we don't get on with them much,
I only met them a couple times and they dont want nothing to
do with us but it's got nothing to do with us being pagan.
Sorry I dont know what kind of things your looking for.