PDA

View Full Version : Please look at this T-shirt

Earth Walker
October 6th, 2001, 10:26 PM
For every one sold, $1.00 will go to the Red Cross, so don't
let anyone give you any lip for wearing it.
American flag and "United We Stand" on the back.
On the front, Dubya and "OH SHIT!"

Take a look:
http://www.cafepress.com/cp/store/productdetail.aspx?prodno=1031357

Thanks for your support. :)

Myst
October 6th, 2001, 11:59 PM
Page isn't working here.

United we stand but hey while we're united let's bash our leader. Makes perfect sense. Maybe it should say "All Americans but Bush, united we stand..."

Xander67
October 7th, 2001, 01:03 AM
LOL Willow,

Hey I still think Mystique has a secret plan to confuse us all...

but it will not work:mad:

maythen
October 7th, 2001, 04:56 PM
Hehe. I rather liked it. Although it probaly wouldn't be very safe to wear it. It'd be like wearing a Steelers shirt to a Browns game.
Eek.

EasternPriest
October 7th, 2001, 11:20 PM
Surprise, a t-shirt in poor taste. The "big" dollar donation doesn't make it any better.

Danustouch
October 8th, 2001, 01:31 AM
An end does not justify the means :)

Adrenaline Junkie
October 8th, 2001, 01:07 PM
hmmmmmm :rolleyes:

Xois
October 10th, 2001, 07:33 AM
Jesus EP, where is your sense of humor!

It really IS ok to laugh...even laugh at BUSH! I think that the TShirt was very funny and not in poor taste!

EasternPriest
October 10th, 2001, 10:21 PM
My sense of humor is just fine. My sense of reality is even better.

Myst
October 10th, 2001, 10:49 PM
I'd just like to point out that EP wasn't the only one who didn't find that funny.

EasternPriest
October 10th, 2001, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by Mystique
let anyone give you any lip for wearing it.
American flag and "United We Stand" on the back.
On the front, Dubya and "OH SHIT!"

Take a look:
http://www.cafepress.com/cp/store/productdetail.aspx?prodno=1031357

Thanks for your support. :)

Actually - if you read it, it says...oh shirt...still in poor taste at this time.

Illuminatus
October 11th, 2001, 11:46 AM
I think that EP is roughly four times funnier than that shirt!

Danustouch
October 11th, 2001, 11:51 AM
hey hey...it's not fair to make fun of EP for his looks:) Just kidding...lol...:p :p :p

Daniel
October 12th, 2001, 01:37 AM
Originally posted by Mystique

let anyone give you any lip for wearing it.I am officially giving you lip.

Oh, yes. The people making these t-shirt are so big-hearted. Obiously, they care about the victims of his horrible tragedy and want to help out in any way they can. They're so busy making t-shirts that cost a few pennies each and result in a two-digit profit margin that all they have time to do is donate a mere fraction of the proceeds to the Red Cross. No sending of supplies to the victims, no sending of supplies to the rescue workers, no sending of their own employees to help out, no sir.

They don't have the time because they're far too busy profiting off the deaths of 6000 or so people. Perhaps if Bin Laden kills off another few thousand innocent civillians, these t-shirt people can retire.

The fact that the t-shirt was produced by people who also happen to get off making fun of Bush tells me a lot about so-called Bush haters. And, before any of you start bitching about overgeneralization, I'm fairly certain that every devout Bush hater who responded to this thread thought that the t-shirt was ammusing.

Especially Mystique, who seems to think that nobody should take any lip for using the death of 6000 people to promote humor at Bush's expense. She wants us buy this t-shirt that makes fun of Bush and to show our support for the victims.

Every single one of you who said "hehehe funny" should be ashamed of yourselves, and seriously considering some counseling.

Swanspirit
October 12th, 2001, 01:54 AM
is making a "profit" suddenly a problem.....
we are supposed to be supporting the economy are we not???
You dont know the economic circumstances of the people producing and manufacturing this shirt......... you are assuming...... for ALL YOU KNOW they could be out of work PILOTS......
one of the Nurses I work with..... has a son who was a pilot for SouthWest Airlines he was FLYING over Afghanistan at the time of the attacks and his plane was diverted to Amsterdam and he has since been laid off........
so maybe he needs to support his family ..... maybe someone else desperately does......
You dont know that........ and maybe they are sharing what little they can..........
I could be wrong........ but I wont assume either way ........
and I STILL DONT LIKE BUSH.......I sometimes try and imagine how this entire situation would be handled by someone with a higher IQ..... and I thank goddess he has advisors,......
NO SHAME ............ dont put it on me .....
Love and light
Swannie

Daniel
October 12th, 2001, 02:18 AM
Originally posted by Swanspirit

is making a "profit" suddenly a problem.....You're absolutely right, we should be able to profit at the expense of others' lives. Let's sell drugs, give credit cards, and offer loans to small children. If making a profit, no matter what the result, is okay, then all of that is fine too.

we are supposed to be supporting the economy are we not??? Careful, you might start to sound like a Republican. Regardless, profit without morals is wrong no matter how bad it's needed.

You dont know the economic circumstances of the people producing and manufacturing this shirt......... you are assuming...... for ALL YOU KNOW they could be out of work PILOTS......I don't give two craps and a fart about the economic condition of the people making these damned t-shirts. They're using the emotional appeal of all the blood shed by the terrorists for financial gains, and making a paultry offering to the Red Cross.

Screw these people, they're pigging out on everybody's patriotism and sense of goodwill towards these people, and should be publicly flogged.

You dont know that........ and maybe they are sharing what little they can..........Just like Arizona jeans pays their Mexican workers what little they can, right? Bull, bull, bull.

I could be wrong........ but I wont assume either way ........ and I STILL DONT LIKE BUSH.......I sometimes try and imagine how this entire situation would be handled by someone with a higher IQ..... and I thank goddess he has advisors,......It's plain to see that you're letting your dislike of Bush get in the way of your perception of right and wrong.

NO SHAME ............ dont put it on me .....Shame upon you, for condoning the profiteering at the expense of 6000 innocent civillians. Shame on you for laughing at the t-shirt. Shame on you for thinking that this is all acceptable, honorable adult behavior.

Shame on you for denying shame that you've so rightfully earned. All of you make me sick, and if it wouldn't be considered a personal attack I'd call you moral degenerates. But it would, so I won't.

Danustouch
October 12th, 2001, 02:21 AM
Swannie..aren't you being self contradicting though? In yvonnes thread about the toilet paper bombing, you just condemned opportunists!

That's what the issue here is. I feel the same way about those commercials selling flags on the television...(yes..flags are wonderful, and we should display them...but for goddess sake, look at the MARK UP!) We're not talking a means of supporting your family...we're talking MAJOR profit, at the expense of others. Its taking a VERY tragic situation, and turning it around to benefit yourself.

I also, btw, feel the same way about Churches who are advertising on television, using the events of the 11th, to draw in membership. I mean...having a commercial that says.."during these difficult times, remember, that God loves you"..is one thing. Or even saying "Our Church is praying for the victims families"..is ok. But..saying..."These times motivate us to look for God...come to our church..and FIND HIM"..is nothing more, to me, than a cheap advertisement. Cheap, and tasteless. Capitolizing on peoples pain.

Incidentally..i'm not targeting the Christians. I just got into a HUGE fight with a friend online, who claimed she fortold this all in an astrology chart she made, at the turn of the millenium. Well.that's all fine and good..and I won't say whether or not she DID fortell this...who knows? But..she's using it as a stepping stone to her carreer, in advertisements. And I had to tell her I didn't want to talk to her anymore, until she got her head, out of her rear-end!

Daniel
October 12th, 2001, 02:25 AM
Originally posted by Danustouch

Incidentally..i'm not targeting the Christians. I just got into a HUGE fight with a friend online, who claimed she fortold this all in an astrology chart she made, at the turn of the millenium. Well.that's all fine and good..and I won't say whether or not she DID fortell this...who knows? But..she's using it as a stepping stone to her carreer, in advertisements. And I had to tell her I didn't want to talk to her anymore, until she got her head, out of her rear-end!Insert thundering applause and maniacal cheering here.

Word.

Swanspirit
October 12th, 2001, 02:34 AM
are not as repugnant to me as those awful toilet paper things....... and no one is planning on dropping them into Afghanistan......
I personally couldnt stand to wear a shirt with EITHER of their faces on it ........or Daniels for that matter if that werent a personal insult I would say it but I wont LOL......and yes I am allowed to let my repugnance for BUSH influence my ideas about a T Shirt :)
I think some opportunism is going to happen...... and I am allowed to use my judgement about what I can support and what I think is over the line.......maybe not with the venom that some do ...... but I can still do it........use my perceptions to make distinctions ...........
and as for people who "FORETOLD WAR IN THE MIDDLE EAST" I say ........ thanks for helping it happen ......and I think they are the moral degenerates..........
Love and light
Swannie

Danustouch
October 12th, 2001, 02:50 AM
ok...see...I think they are moral degenerates for capitolizing on it through various advertisements. I'm curious as to why YOU think they are degenerates. Because, I personally, do NOT have a problem believing that people could have foretold such an event. I only have a problem with the people who are capitolizing on it. If you are saying that the psychichs who foretold things like this, (not the ones who are seeking personal glory from it)..helped it to occur...well..then...I think that's pretty darned judgemental. Sounds like something Falwell would have said.

Noone is responsible for the attacks on our country, except the terrorists. We may have been lax in our security...but it is a disease of the human mind...HATRED, which caused those attacks. To blame ANYONE else BUT the terrorists, is disgusting to me.

If you are saying that somehow by knowing, they could have STOPPED it from happening, oh please, honey..take off those rose colored glasses. Yep..sure..the FBI and CIA are SOOOOOOO going to take their word for it. LOL...sure. They wouldn't even take EXPERTS word for it. They wouldn't even take HISTORY's word for it (and I'm referring to the hijacking that took place in Paris, in the Nineties). MANY people warned the government...but..for whatever reason...nothing was done. Do I hold our government to blame though? Ummmmm..no. When a person dies of cancer, you don't blame the person for dying. You blame the sickness. You blame the CAUSE of the sickness.

In this case, the cancer is hatred. Thats the ONLY place where blame should be pointed!

Swanspirit
October 12th, 2001, 09:50 AM
so and so's who predicted war in an already war torn part of the world......... everything is connected......imparting energy to it helps it happen............it FOMENTS the hatred.....and helps it along ......just like Falwell does......... shoulds or calling it "something that Falwell said" doesnt change that......
The ones who are only too happy to say " I told you so " about war.......have hatred as well.....IMO..... they certainly arent contributing to peace.......
Love and Light
Swannie

Danustouch
October 12th, 2001, 02:16 PM
I totally do not see, how making a prediction about things, is showing hatred. I can say that my friend has a drinking problem, and that if he doesn't stop, he's going to harm his liver. But..by saying that, i'm not MAKING it so. Or else who amongst us would do tarot readings, or any other sort of prophecy??? Saying what you "see", saying what you "Feel" will happen, is in no way contributing TO The problem, its called observation. Observation, is impartial. When I have a prophecy/vision about something when i'm doing a reading, I tell the person who I'm reading for that they have the ability to change the future. It is not written in stone, we have free will. So...saying what I think "MAY" happen, in the future, if the course of events is NOT changed, is not "Causing" it to happen, it is trying to PREVENT it from happening. I honestly do not see, nor agree with your point. I don't agree with people using their prophecies about such horrible events to get attention/money/buisness...but I have no problem with people sharing their prophecies. If so..i wouldn't be a tarot reader:)

Shadowulfe
October 12th, 2001, 02:34 PM
:zzz: :zzz: :zzz: I didnt find that amusing.....my sense of humor is dead today

Illuminatus
October 12th, 2001, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by Daniel
You're absolutely right, we should be able to profit at the expense of others' lives.

C'mon Daniel, that's not the case with these T-shirt goons. You make it sound like people are dying as a result of T-shirts! They're not profiting at the expense of people's lives. They're already dead.

There will always be opportunists, that's the price of living in the land of opportunity! I don't have a problem with it. If people want to spend their money to buy a product that is in poor taste, well spend away!

- Ill

Heh This is post #777 for me
What is that, Across The Highway From The Beast?

Xander67
October 12th, 2001, 05:50 PM
I may not agree with what is on the shirt, but I do agree that they have a right to make money, we, the consumer have the right to decide whether or not we want to buy the shirt.....

so I guess we see who's voice counts the most here.......

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ talks.........

Myst
October 12th, 2001, 06:01 PM
Sure they have the right to make the shirt, and I have the right to think they're disgusting for profiting off the bloodshed and fear (and I'm not just targeting this tee shirt here, but the postcards, "special edition" magazines, other tee shirts, mugs... hell I even saw a t shirt on the 12th that said "I was in the WTC disaster and all I got was this crappy tee shirt")... so yeah, we come to MW to share our opinions and my opinion is they stink, and that I agree with everything Daniel said. Check out the other thread here about the Saudia Arabian prince for comments on how money is already being given left and right. Just take everything Daniel said in this thread and put a check beside it for me.

Hey, and for those who have never printed tee shirts before, when you get bulk tee shirts they end up costing about $5 then the printing adds up to a couple cents for each one. So yay that company for taking a whole $1 from their $11 profit off the tragedies of the 11th. Hey thanks I'd rather go to the Salvation Army etc. and donate $10 and give them clothes or food too, hey and hit the blood bank on the way.

Buy the tee shirt, don't, do whatever you like, that's my opinion, and if you don't like it ignore me or stuff it :)

Xander67
October 12th, 2001, 06:41 PM
Well said Myst!
not to go OT but scince you brought the SA Prince into the loop :)
what did everyone think about Mayor Juliiani giving him back the check for 10Mill

Myst
October 12th, 2001, 06:42 PM
Check out the other thread xan, there's already a discussion about it :)

Xander67
October 12th, 2001, 06:49 PM
thanks Myst, :)

Wyrdsister
October 12th, 2001, 07:27 PM
Yowza -- intense thread, people.

If you'd like to see a tshirt that is NOT designed to any humour, check out http://www.cafepress.com/cp/store/store.aspx?storeid=inotatwar_au I'm sure it will get your collective ires up as well as it's message is not about killing Afghanis.

Wyrdsister
rabble-rouser

Myst
October 12th, 2001, 11:32 PM
That link doesn't work.

I don't think to me the message matters if it's still profit from the events of Sept 11th justified by "hey we'll donate $1"... *shrugs* Now maybe if it was all profit from the sales to the donation I could agree with it. Because then at least no one is profiting from the terror/horror/etc. except organizations for the victims and their families.

Wyrdsister
October 16th, 2001, 02:49 AM
Originally posted by Myst
That link doesn't work. Really? Oops! Worked for me. How about trying this one:

http://www.cafepress.com/inotatwar_au

Wyrdsister

Myst
October 16th, 2001, 02:56 AM
Ah, that one works, thanks.

And I've been thinking about this. And I think the one you've shown is perhaps better to me, in that it makes a positive political statement. It's *still* not about doing whatever Bush wants, and yet it's not about blaming him, but saying just that the person does NOT agree.