PDA

View Full Version : Collares

Kendrah
March 23rd, 2005, 11:34 AM
I was looking up various santaria/ voodoun things on ebay (well, statues really) and I came across people selling collaries. I was under the impression that only an initiate makes collaries and they are made for the those who initiate into the tradition.

Is this not the case? Can anyone make/ wear collares? I'm just curious.

semi
March 23rd, 2005, 11:47 AM
Anyone can buy some premade beads that are made with the particular color scheme of an orisha. Some people buy the beads and wear them if they don't want to or can't afford to enter into initiation and get their collares or elekes. In this case, the persons' belief is all that might bring any sort of energy to the collare. But during initiation when you are receiving your eleke, it is made by the priest specifically for you and consecrated by him. It becomes a powered object. There is a big difference.

Kendrah
March 23rd, 2005, 05:04 PM
So, conceivably, we could make our own to the Loa/ Orisha that we work with? It wouldn't be as powerful as one made by an initiate, but it's still something? What would be the guidelines to such things? Well then, I guess it's something you'd find out when initiated... But still curious am I.

semi
March 23rd, 2005, 05:17 PM
So far as I know, elekes/collares are just a part of Santeria, not Voodoo. So they wouldn't apply much to the loa. But sure, you can make and use whatever you want. And you can charge it up yourself like any other ritual tool. It will just be different from the one specially made for you during initiation. For example, suppose you need to receive an eleke based on Eshu. You can make one yourself based on his colors of black and red and add anything else that you feel needs to be added. But the one made by the priest will relate specifically to your individual path of Eshu and may require very specific items used to make its form as well as items used during the ritual when it's made as well as certain prayers and blessings that need to be spoken over it. What the priest does is a lot more involved than just making a necklace.

But I am all for coloring outside the lines. If you want to make an eleke for yourself, do it as you would the construction of any other ritual object. It will be different from what a priest makes, and cannot duplicate what a priest makes, but it would not limited in any way any more than any other ritual item. It would be a ritual tool like any other. You know what I mean? Words aren't coming out quite right.

Kendrah
March 23rd, 2005, 05:50 PM
Yeah, that's basically what I thought. I just wanted to be sure I wouldn't go around offending anything more then I normally do. ;)

semi
March 23rd, 2005, 06:04 PM
Any time you deviate from tradition, someone will be angry. Your path is yours. I've had traditionalists tell me that what I do can't be called Santeria because I deviate so much from tradition. I say, so? I don't really care what traditionalists think. In this class/discussion group I discuss the basics, things that are generally traditional. In personal practice I go way outside the norm. Your path of Ifa or Santeria or anything else is YOUR path. I don't recommend intentionally stepping on toes or disrespecting anyone, but I believe that you should be free to practice your path your way. I was just telling someone earlier today that initiation and mentors give you basic outlines and procedures, but the orisha themselves will tell you the specifics that you need. I think a spiritual path has to be personalized to some extent, a personal relationship between you and the divine.

Kendrah
March 23rd, 2005, 06:25 PM
Well, if I can, I try to stay with the traditions I work with. I know I'll never initiate into Santeria or Voodoun but I understand that things are done for certain reasons and I try to honor the path as best I can. I'm sure you understand that tight rope.

yemayashija
March 23rd, 2005, 09:38 PM
bendicion and santo semi,

may i ask with much respect of what initiations you have recieved, you seem very learned. i agree most heartedly with your previous post about the ifa site, and i guess i'm just trying to gauge my own spiritual growth in this time as iyawo. i think i have so very much more to go, before i can come close to acting on my own or even thinking outside the lines of teachings.

with respect and blessings,
yemayashija

VuuDuu
April 22nd, 2005, 08:50 AM
So far as I know, elekes/collares are just a part of Santeria, not Voodoo. So they wouldn't apply much to the loa. But sure, you can make and use whatever you want. And you can charge it up yourself like any other ritual tool. It will just be different from the one specially made for you during initiation. For example, suppose you need to receive an eleke based on Eshu. You can make one yourself based on his colors of black and red and add anything else that you feel needs to be added. But the one made by the priest will relate specifically to your individual path of Eshu and may require very specific items used to make its form as well as items used during the ritual when it's made as well as certain prayers and blessings that need to be spoken over it. What the priest does is a lot more involved than just making a necklace.

But I am all for coloring outside the lines. If you want to make an eleke for yourself, do it as you would the construction of any other ritual object. It will be different from what a priest makes, and cannot duplicate what a priest makes, but it would not limited in any way any more than any other ritual item. It would be a ritual tool like any other. You know what I mean? Words aren't coming out quite right.

Would an initiate or priest of Santeria be able/allowed to make an eleke/collar for a non-initiate or is that forbidden by tradition?

yemayashija
April 22nd, 2005, 05:21 PM
Would an initiate or priest of Santeria be able/allowed to make an eleke/collar for a non-initiate or is that forbidden by tradition?

bendicion,

yes a santero/a (priest) could make or give a collare to a non-initiate for the purpose of protection or blessing from that specific orisha. but that is different then recieving collares/elekes. for example, I am currently making an ochossi eleke for a client of mine that is incarcerated. because he is in ochossi's house (jail) and going through some difficulties related to it, that ochossi's protection and guidance would be very necessary. but that does not make him my godson nor initiated. it's kind of like christians wearing religious medals, or pagan's choosing amulets or pentagrams.

with respect and blessings,
yemayashija

semi
May 11th, 2005, 06:07 PM
Receiving elekes is the first step of initiation. I suppose a priest could make some for a non-initiate. I don't know if thet is against the rules or not. There are elekes that anyone can buy, but they are different from the ones made by the priest for specific people.