PDA

View Full Version : Edain McCoy

IvyWitch
March 26th, 2005, 11:31 AM
I never considered her to be a great author as far as historical accuracy goes, and I always thought her books were just money makers like SRW. But, I actually bought one of her books because I thought it looked pretty good. "Making Magick for Witches and Pagans".

I have to say I am disappointed. Really. I'm having a hard time getting past page 2. She says , talking about how magic isn't evil and the church made that up "For example, the St. James version of the Christian Bible (seventeenth century) used the word witch instead of poisoner in order to have church authority to carry out witch hunts"

Now, first off I'm not going to go into the poisoner argument because it's a common thing to say and hear. But....hell, I would think anyone with even cursory knowledge of Christianity wouldn't make the mistakes she did. How dumb is she? The Saint James version of the Bible? Come on now.....

I'm sure the book has some decent information, but I can't bring myself to stop getting upset about this. I know she's been guilty of bad history as far as the Celts go....but this is just wrong beyond that.

VelvetBlade
March 26th, 2005, 11:54 AM
Maybe she knows someone who knows someone who thinks the King shoulda been a Saint...hehehehe....

~VB

Penthesilea
April 28th, 2005, 03:00 PM
[QUOTE=IvyWitch] How dumb is she? The Saint James version of the Bible? Come on now.....

Ever consider that it might be a typo? Spellcheck doesn't catch content errors and "galley proofs" are not as common as they used to be, mores the pity.

Lezli
August 10th, 2005, 09:56 AM
[QUOTE=Penthesilea
Ever consider that it might be a typo? Spellcheck doesn't catch content errors and "galley proofs" are not as common as they used to be, mores the pity.[/QUOTE]

I'm with you, Penthesilea. What a silly typo to be caught up by. (Gracious, I hope I'm not judged "stupid" or incompetent for every typo I make.) I actually own this book and have used it quite a bit. It might be more useful to read not for perfection but instead for ideas, new approaches and useful techniques. Making Magick is a really practical book, focused on designing spells for people beyond the basic spell books. Frankly, I don't always agree with Edain, but I read her often. That with which I disagree or find less than useful, I just don't use .
Lezli

Auroro
August 10th, 2005, 09:59 AM
I just purchased McCoy's Celtic Myth & Magick, and I have to say, I enjoy it so far.

odubhain
August 10th, 2005, 08:28 PM
[QUOTE=IvyWitch] How dumb is she? The Saint James version of the Bible? Come on now.....

Ever consider that it might be a typo? Spellcheck doesn't catch content errors and "galley proofs" are not as common as they used to be, mores the pity.How does one type Saint for the word King? Must have been a brain misfire instead. The editors should have caught it however. I'm certain I've misstated things far worse than this instance by McCoy. What about the rest of the book?

Searles