PDA

View Full Version : Sleep Deprivation

GoddessofWisdom
October 9th, 2001, 09:18 PM
Ok I'm at the end of !@#$%^& rope................now thatI have finally started to sleep a little bit more , my 3 year old daughter is plagued by nightmares.........she fell aslepp at 9 last night and didn't even get a solid hour of sleep before the nightmare started and she was awake til 5 am. How the h-e-(double hockey sticks) can I get a child (who wont even tell me what her nightmare is about) to stop having these horrid visions????????

We don't have cable/TV so she isn't watching the news coverage.
I don't know what to do:(

Yvonne Belisle
October 9th, 2001, 09:22 PM
You can do a search for dream pillows and try that. You could bring her in the bed with you but that has it's own downside. You can teach her that she can summon a protector in her sleep if she thinks hard enough on one. I don't know spells for banishing negative energy?

Lilu
October 10th, 2001, 10:58 AM
Some crystals that are good to combat nightmares are amythyst and citrine. You could try getting some of those and putting them under her pillow, mattress, or on her bedside table.

You could also try doing a visualisation before bed, where you visualise a big ball of white light surrounding her and the bed from all negative energies. I used to do that when I was having nightmares or simply not sleeping well. It's a good practice to get into every night really.

Hmmmm, there was also a thread here on night terrors which might have some ideas for simple relaxation and calming techniques that may help for a restful night's sleep :) Check it out too.

I hope everything calms down for you soon!
BB
Lilu

Faery-Wings
October 10th, 2001, 11:07 AM
Oh that is not good. :( We went through this with my son when he was 4, and I know it is rough.

We gave him a little spray bottle that is called "Nightmare Spray." All it is some water and a drop or two of lavender oil. He shakes up the bottle and puts a small spray on his pillow to keep the nightmares away. If he wakes up from a nightmare, he sprays the bottle off the side of his bed to chase the nightmare away. We also do a small relaxation for him and my DD too. They breathe in a color that takes away all of the tension and makes them relax.

Good luck!

Chris

SnowStar
October 10th, 2001, 05:44 PM
My little brother used to have horrible nightmares all of the time where he'd wake up screaming bloody murder. He's mostly grown out of them but he'll still get them from time to time when he's really worried or stressed about something. What we did for him though (and it seemed to help) was we made him a "Sweet Dreams Card". He kept it under his pillow and as long as it was there, we told him, he wouldn't have any bad dreams. On one side was an image of peaceful sleep and the words "Sweet Dreams". Now, you could also write on there [Child's Name]'s Sweet Dreams Card or something to that effect. On the other side, if you wish you can pen a little rhyme about chasing bad dreams away and having only good dreams.

The card seemed to work pretty well. At first we'd found one in a store that was like a credit card and it had a little dalmatian dreaming of a dogbone, but it got lost when we'd gone on vacation, so we made him a new one that worked just as well.

I also had made him a dreamcatcher (you can just buy one from a nature store if you're not very artsy) from an old plastic bracelet, some wire, some beads, and some feathers. Its back in my room now, I remember when he brought it back to me telling me he didn't need it anymore.

All of these things seemed to help a good bit with my brother, I hope they might be of a help to you too. :)

GoddessofWisdom
October 10th, 2001, 07:58 PM
Thank you for all the suggestions I'll try them all at once.....:p