View Full Version : Pagans who give back

March 31st, 2005, 09:17 AM
I wasn't sure this is where I should post this but it does have to do with a business so I guess this is the best place.

In my town there is only one pagan oriented store that deal specifically with wicca paganisim. They started the store in a different location and had to move to another location within the first year. It just so happens that the building she moved into is on two different pieces of land, therefore, has two different addresses and this means they get two different utility bills every month. They had to put down two different deposits on all the utilities.

The woman who runs it is a high priestess. She hosts pagan meetups, witches meetups, magickal meetups, pagan parenting meetups, circles, healing sessions, tarot readings and more at her store. 40 people came to the Imbolc circle she held, 75 to the Ostara one, and I can only imagine that there will be well over a hundred people at the next one. She offers free herbal tea and coffee to all who stop by, she has an area for kids to play and she is a very giving person.

So here's the thing. She really needs money to help keep her in business. She is offering so much to the pagan community yet I never see anyone offering her anything back. I want to start a fund raiser where all the donations would go to help keep her business running so we can continue on having these events. So she can continue even being there for us. But I really don't know where to start. Does anyone have any ideas? Would it be proper to do the fundraiser 'without her knowing about it?

March 31st, 2005, 10:20 AM
Fundraisers can be great, and fun too. I think it is wonderful that you want to help this woman. However, I would not do it without her knowledge or consent. Word has a way of getting back to people. Besides, if she agrees, working together with her on something like this would be more beneficial. You increase the chances you have to raise money. Also, she has a space in which you can hold certain events of this fundraiser. Oh, and depending on what things you may select to do, be sure to check on legalities, if it includes raffles, drawings etc. Those things get tricky.

Some suggestions I have for things like this would be....

Having a car wash at her location.
A bake sale you can set up at her location.
Perhaps maybe a rock/walk-a-thon.
You could find other crafters and (if she is ok with it) have a sale/show at her business, and donate 1/4 the sales to her. Or she could simply charge a per table fee.
You could have a service auction. In otherwords, your not auctioning off goods, but a service such as: Tarot readings, Rieki Healing, Child Care, Housekeeping Service, Yard Service... etc.
You could also have a rummage sale, by having anyone interested donating their old unused items. It wouldn't cost anyone anything except for something they may be throwing away anyway. And people love to buy anothers junk. They say one man's trash, is another's treasure.

Just some ideas, but I would definitely inform her of your idea, and work with her on it. It will be more successful that way. :)

March 31st, 2005, 01:46 PM
Thank you so much for the ideas. I really appriciate it. :) I sent her an email asking if it would be alright. Hopefully she will agree and we can at least get her somewhat caught up on all her bills.

March 31st, 2005, 03:59 PM
There was recently a witch's ball in Indianapolis and the proceeds went to charity. There were quite a few people there and I'm quite sure it did fairly well.

Perhaps something like that would be fun for people and they might respond well.

here's a link to some info on it. Hope that helps.

http://www.wooglett.com/photos_from_the_2005_witches_ball.htm hehe there's a pic of me and DL of Air in there too.

March 31st, 2005, 06:04 PM
Ooo.. a witches ball. What a wonderful idea.