PDA

View Full Version : Lesson One

RubyRose
April 2nd, 2005, 04:46 AM
What are Faeries – The origins of fae

Faeries tend to be regarded as either good or bad. Angelic or demonic, but in fact that are different entirely. No one knows for sure when the belief in faeries began but indigenous legends have survived for thousands of years be it in song or story.
According to Native American belief, humans are but one race populating the earth. There are also the Standing People (trees), the Stone People (rocks), the Four Legged People (the animals) and so forth. All however are equally as sacred and interdependent in the wheel of existence.
Faeries it seems may have indeed pre-dated human or even animal life. Humans have created forms for such creations that emulate our own but on a smaller scale so that we may try to control what power they may hold in a world which human beings believe they rule.

The Christian View
One theory is that faeries were originally human, but punished for the sins of Eve. Early Christendom saw faeries as part of the Pagan world which they sought to eradicate. A story in the Bible tells of how Eve hid her unwashed children from the eyes of God, who was then angered at this knowledge and said to her ‘As you have hidden your children from my sight so shall they be forever hidden from yours.’ This is said to explain why faeries never grow up and the desire of humans to see and interact with faeries.

Fallen Angels
Another theory is that faeries are fallen angels, driven out of heaven with Lucifer, but not so evil that they had to reside in Hell. It is occasionally hypothesized that when the war broke out they did not fight against God, choosing instead to remain neutral.
It is said that a faeries station on earth was determined by where they fell on earth. This coincides with the theory naturalists have as to why faeries reflect the nature of the area that they inhabit.

Who are the Fae?
The word fairy or faerie comes from the ancient French faes, derived from the Latin fata. It was first used in the 13th and 14th Centuries to describe beings that had been the central part of oral folk lore.
Fairy can also refer to a state of enchantment or glamour – an illusion usually cast by a spell but at the same time is thought by others to be real.

The simple fact of it is this, faeries are not simply nice, light, and playful creatures, some of them can be downright malicious and michevious, I suppose it just depends of which faeries you attract and how you treat them. Because depending on how you treat them will depend on how they treat you. Of course I still have my theories that by inadvertantly ignoring them they caused some mischeif around my house, but I can't really be sure. My advice, if you want to keep in their favour once you have attracted them, keep up the offerings. But more on that later on.

Bendithion,
RubyRose

Kern
April 2nd, 2005, 11:33 AM
I had never heard of the Christian or fallen angel view before,interesting.

The simple fact of it is this, faeries are not simply nice, light, and playful creatures, some of them can be downright malicious and michevious, I suppose it just depends of which faeries you attract and how you treat them. Because depending on how you treat them will depend on how they treat you. Of course I still have my theories that by inadvertantly ignoring them they caused some mischeif around my house, but I can't really be sure. My advice, if you want to keep in their favour once you have attracted them, keep up the offerings.

I think this is very possible,especially the part about the mischief part around the house.I had things disappear around the house and did a banishing,I am not sure if it was faeries or not much diffenitly bothersome.But I usually call those around the house House Wrights.

Pob Bendith!
Bran yr Onnen

Bookgirl83
April 2nd, 2005, 10:31 PM
I'd never heard the Christian theories either; it's not entirely surprising though. Early Christians were usually big on "if we can't explain it, it must be bad."

The simple fact of it is this, faeries are not simply nice, light, and playful creatures, some of them can be downright malicious and michevious, I suppose it just depends of which faeries you attract and how you treat them. Because depending on how you treat them will depend on how they treat you.
This seems to be a good rule to follow for most beings you come in contact with. Nothing is as simple as it seems; the treatment you receive will reflect the treatment you give.

RubyRose
April 2nd, 2005, 11:38 PM
I suspect there's even more theories. The scientific view of faeries perhaps. Hey there's a thought, can science even explain faeries?. I think I'll look into that.

Bendithion,
RubyRose

Kern
April 3rd, 2005, 07:26 AM
Very good points about treating things with respect you 2.
As for the the science thing,Not sure how they would prove it.

What about energy balls like the ones captured on film or in pix sometimes.I have never heard any one saying they may be faeries or the energy essence from them,captured on film or in pix.But who knows.............

RubyRose
April 3rd, 2005, 07:30 AM
Yeah proving the existance of faeries would be rather difficult, but all the same...

Kern
April 3rd, 2005, 08:16 AM
After I joined this class and this was mentioned about mischevious spirits and stuff I think they may be back.A picture on our bedroom wall fell last night about 1:49 am.When I put it back up,the nail was still there,so it just jumped off the nail by itself....Hmm

butterflydreams
April 3rd, 2005, 09:27 AM
I've never heard the Christian or Fallen Angel theory either but they are very interesting. I generally try not to see most things as one way or another so I've never thought of them as all bad or all good. I do know that I have had a couple of things at the house I live in now and my old apartment either just completely dissappear or dissappear and show up again where I know it could not have been.

Kern
April 3rd, 2005, 09:38 AM
I've never heard the Christian or Fallen Angel theory either but they are very interesting. I generally try not to see most things as one way or another so I've never thought of them as all bad or all good. I do know that I have had a couple of things at the house I live in now and my old apartment either just completely dissappear or dissappear and show up again where I know it could not have been.
Ditto _travolta_

Enozgirl
April 3rd, 2005, 10:11 AM
Interesting, I'd never heard some of those explinations as to the origins of faeries before. I'll have to add them to my research :)

I attended a fata workshop last year and during it, we were given a legend that said that, in the beginning, there were faeries (which also includes gnomes, elves, etc) and humans. Each race was granted powers by the Goddess - the powers of Magick. Unfortunately, humans got wrapped up in the "mundane" world - hunting food, growing food, defending themselves against attack, etc - and stopped using the gifts of the Goddess. In time, the ability to use magick left them.

So how is their magick in the world? Well, at some point, faery blood was introduced to the human's family line. If you've got magick in your fingertips, somewhere in your family tree, you'll find a faery. :D

Niamh celtic mist
April 3rd, 2005, 01:13 PM
I have read about the fallen angel theory before...It is an interesting theory...from a christian view point.....Most Faeries tend to be mischievous...so perhaps that was their way of giving an explanation to unexplained things that would happen...but also since the Fae were such an important part of the Celtic Culture it does make sense that the church would try to use that as a way to turn the Celts from a great part of their pagan beliefs...Also Angels have been around a long time before the Christans incorporated them into their beliefs....

I have also had things disappear...and it does cross my mind that there has been Faery pranks involved...
As far as science....it has lagged behind in many areas of mystical beliefs...but the breakthroughs in Quantum Physics and the theories of time...Simultaneous planes of existence....are leaning to prove the idea that energy has many levels...and that there is an unseen world that exists in and around our own....

I was wondering what books do you suggest? What is your favorite?

:shift:

Keroberos
April 3rd, 2005, 05:39 PM
ooh yeah, I'd love a recommendations, there are so many books on faeries out there it'll be hard to choose.

I too have misplaced things never to see them again.

teh_fae
April 3rd, 2005, 08:57 PM
I haven't heard about the christian beliefs of faeries like many others either. But reading about it was interesting.

The simple fact of it is this, faeries are not simply nice, light, and playful creatures, some of them can be downright malicious and michevious, I suppose it just depends of which faeries you attract and how you treat them. Because depending on how you treat them will depend on how they treat you. Of course I still have my theories that by inadvertantly ignoring them they caused some mischeif around my house, but I can't really be sure. My advice, if you want to keep in their favour once you have attracted them, keep up the offerings. But more on that later on.

I agree with that also. In every existence of a species or being, you have your good and bad, faeries are definately the same. Same with respect, treat others how you want to be treated. If someone tries to contact the fae, and the fae come forward, they deserve to be treated with respect. They don't have to do as the person wishes, but if they do, then they deserve respect.

RubyRose
April 3rd, 2005, 09:22 PM
Enozgirl: I've actually heard that idea before that humans and faeries existed together at one point.

I did manage to find and interesting tid bit in one of my books relating to the scientific view of faeries. Though of course scientists are still unconvinced that Faeries are real.

As for recommended reading, I'd suggest Cassandra Eason's: Complete guide to Fairies and Magical Beings. Also Brian Froud's work.

Kern
April 4th, 2005, 09:40 AM
I hope learn and absorb all the info on the faes of Ireland,Wales and Brythonic counterparts.I wish to learn all I can and hopefully be able to contact them and teach this to my daughter.

Niamh celtic mist
April 4th, 2005, 01:00 PM
Enozgirl: I've actually heard that idea before that humans and faeries existed together at one point.

I did manage to find and interesting tid bit in one of my books relating to the scientific view of faeries. Though of course scientists are still unconvinced that Faeries are real.

As for recommended reading, I'd suggest Cassandra Eason's: Complete guide to Fairies and Magical Beings. Also Brian Froud's work.

Oh yea! I have Eason's book coming from my library soon! I love Frouds work too! In fact I have to return his Faeries book today...

Romani Vixen
April 4th, 2005, 10:11 PM
I suspect there's even more theories. The scientific view of faeries perhaps. Hey there's a thought, can science even explain faeries?. I think I'll look into that.

Bendithion,
RubyRoseButterflies as viewed without correcting glasses.

Or....

The witnesses had eaten too much rye bread.

I do have some questions after reading the lesson. What are some of the other stories of origin (other than the Punnished human and Fallen angel)? Is there any sort of consensious amongst Pagans as to 'what they are'? What are some of the differing types of fey? Are there more than one variety even? Finally.... you mention about them being 'malicious and michevious', what are some of the positive things that they can do?

RubyRose
April 4th, 2005, 10:59 PM
Other stories .... there is one that says faeries exited as Pagan Gods or wise Druids. Pages 19 and 20 in Eason's book. I'll see what I can hunt up on the web.

Actually, take a look at this site: http://www.themystica.com/mystica/articles/f/fairies.html

Unfortunately it doesn't say anything about faeries being related to Ancient Pagan Gods.

Kern
April 5th, 2005, 10:28 AM
Thanks for the link Rubyrose..
I have always looked at them in this way as described by the link

Fairies are nature spirits......, this theory holds that fairies are among the many spirits that populate all things and places in the earth.

Kern
April 5th, 2005, 10:41 AM
Heres a small list of types of Faeries from Britain:

Brownies- Welsh and Scottish highland faeries, known for thier brown clothes and skin. About 3 feet tall.

Coblyn- Faeries that live in mines and find gold and silver, or whatever the miners are looking for for them.

Dryads- Faeries from all the Celtic countries (England, Ireland, Scotland, and Wales) that lived in Oak trees and instructed the Druids.

Ellyllon- Welsh Faeries whose queen is Mab.

Elves- British and Welsh Faeries. Another name for trooping Faeries.

Gwragedd Annwn- Welsh lake Faeries.

Pixies- Faeries found in Somerset, Devon, and Cornwell of England.

Tylwyth Teg- The most common Faeries found in Wales.

Nitefalle
April 5th, 2005, 11:03 AM
Whew, sorry for the late reply! Well, as for believing in the fae, I most certainly do. Growing up, my house lay on a dormant fault line (a ley line, in my opinion) and there were spirits and beings all around my house all the time, though only one was ever creepy. I always saw the fae as small specks of light, usually flinging themselves across a room at great speeds, only to disappear soon after I saw them. The only time one truly took form for me was when I saw an undine sitting on top of my fountain on my water altar one night. That startled me!! :D When I moved up here, I had a brownie in my first apartment, most likely because my brother was a disgusting slob :lol: Now that I live with my boyfriend, I find that his house is very sterile of energy, good or bad. I've only had two visitations here, one by a fae and one by a god who was teaching me a lesson. I hope to invite more when I work in my gardens this spring and summer.
As for books, I highly recommend Ted Andrews. His book was very educational. As for being good or mean, I think that the fae have a VERY different set of moral codes and are neither really good or mean, they just are, but that we can only fit our understandings into our personal codes of ethics. Respect and maybe just a smidge of fear is probably best when interacting with these beings, especially if you want something from them.

Romani Vixen
April 5th, 2005, 02:37 PM
I just found a site with a few more 'fey creation mythos' ... lol...

"
Norse: Maggots from the giant corpse of Ymir transformed into light and dark elves
Icelandic: Children Eve hid from God because the were unwashed
Fallen angels
Heathen dead
Souls of unbaptised children
Long before the Celts came to Eire (Ireland), the island was populated by an ancient race known as the Firbolg, or Firborg. Then the Sons of Danu, the Tuatha de Danan, cam to the island, and there was war. The de Danan had magic, and defeated the Firbolg, and lived happily for hundreds of years. Then the Celts came, and the de Dannan were driven back, and took refuge inside the hills, and created a vast underground kingdom. The hills were called Sidhe (shee), and the de Danan became known as the Fey, also called Faerie Folk.... They are the origin of many of the stories we know today, including Banshee (originally Ban Sidhe, or "Daughter of the Sidhe") and the Leprechaun. Even King Arthurs Half Sister was supposedly half Faerie, hence the name Morgan le Fey."

Goddess Rhiannon
April 5th, 2005, 10:39 PM
Ditto _travolta_
Ditto again

RubyRose
April 5th, 2005, 11:47 PM
Thanks for the additional link Romani Vixen.

Kern, we'll be covering the types of fae in upcoming lessons, be surprised, as they're a fairly large list.

Kern
April 6th, 2005, 10:24 AM

Kern, we'll be covering the types of fae in upcoming lessons, be surprised, as they're a fairly large list.
Ugggh a Faerly Large one huh!

Romani Vixen
April 6th, 2005, 03:50 PM
Ugggh a Faerly Large one huh!

ohhhhhhhhh......

and let the pun begin!!!!!

:awilly:

RubyRose
April 6th, 2005, 10:00 PM
:lol:

WolfyJames
April 7th, 2005, 12:04 AM
What are Faeries – The origins of fae

Faeries tend to be regarded as either good or bad. Angelic or demonic, but in fact that are different entirely. No one knows for sure when the belief in faeries began but indigenous legends have survived for thousands of years be it in song or story.
According to Native American belief, humans are but one race populating the earth. There are also the Standing People (trees), the Stone People (rocks), the Four Legged People (the animals) and so forth. All however are equally as sacred and interdependent in the wheel of existence.
Faeries it seems may have indeed pre-dated human or even animal life. Humans have created forms for such creations that emulate our own but on a smaller scale so that we may try to control what power they may hold in a world which human beings believe they rule.

The Christian View
One theory is that faeries were originally human, but punished for the sins of Eve. Early Christendom saw faeries as part of the Pagan world which they sought to eradicate. A story in the Bible tells of how Eve hid her unwashed children from the eyes of God, who was then angered at this knowledge and said to her ‘As you have hidden your children from my sight so shall they be forever hidden from yours.’ This is said to explain why faeries never grow up and the desire of humans to see and interact with faeries.

Fallen Angels
Another theory is that faeries are fallen angels, driven out of heaven with Lucifer, but not so evil that they had to reside in Hell. It is occasionally hypothesized that when the war broke out they did not fight against God, choosing instead to remain neutral.
It is said that a faeries station on earth was determined by where they fell on earth. This coincides with the theory naturalists have as to why faeries reflect the nature of the area that they inhabit.

Who are the Fae?
The word fairy or faerie comes from the ancient French faes, derived from the Latin fata. It was first used in the 13th and 14th Centuries to describe beings that had been the central part of oral folk lore.
Fairy can also refer to a state of enchantment or glamour – an illusion usually cast by a spell but at the same time is thought by others to be real.

Bendithion,
RubyRose

I've never heard of these two theories and I think as a pagan, I should not pay too much attention to christian stories.

I attended a fata workshop last year and during it, we were given a legend that said that, in the beginning, there were faeries (which also includes gnomes, elves, etc) and humans. Each race was granted powers by the Goddess - the powers of Magick. Unfortunately, humans got wrapped up in the "mundane" world - hunting food, growing food, defending themselves against attack, etc - and stopped using the gifts of the Goddess. In time, the ability to use magick left them.

What I think is closer to this one, but I don't agree with saying that hunting food and defensing oneself was wrong, I think once we were all together (including dragons, I followed the Guardian Dragon course) but at some point humans lost touch with nature, detached itself from it. I read a book (The Last Hours of Ancient Sunlight : Waking Up to Personal and Global Transformation by Thom Hartmann) that said that when humans started to talk, working on vocabulary, words and written words, the brain was modified, these parts of the brain were growing as humans were working on these things but the impact is that other parts of the brain deeply suffered from it, shrank to the point where the connections are minimal now.

Kern
April 7th, 2005, 07:05 AM

I hope that will not include xtianised myths,I am really only wishing to learn about the Celtic and Germanic pagan views,but I am open to learning about other pagan beliefs about them,just not the xtian ones.

teishabee
April 7th, 2005, 07:15 AM
I hope that will not include xtianised myths,I am really only wishing to learn about the Celtic and Germanic pagan views,but I am open to learning about other pagan beliefs about them,just not the xtian ones.
Christanity isnt all bad.There is alot we can learn from it. Maybe the politics of it can be off putting.

Kern
April 7th, 2005, 07:24 AM
Christanity isnt all bad.There is alot we can learn from it. Maybe the politics of it can be off putting.

Yeah true,I just prefer not to learn about their views.

Enozgirl
April 7th, 2005, 10:34 AM
What I think is closer to this one, but I don't agree with saying that hunting food and defensing oneself was wrong, I think once we were all together (including dragons, I followed the Guardian Dragon course) but at some point humans lost touch with nature, detached itself from it.
I didn't mean to imply that it was wrong... just that it distracted from the connection with nature. Other things started to take priority, for good or bad. I've been very non-caffinated of late, so I'm sorry if it came out wrong. :D

Lolith
April 7th, 2005, 05:25 PM
I'm just checking to in to let you know that I've read the lesson.

enchancea
April 7th, 2005, 05:37 PM
Im just checking in to say that I read the lesson also

RubyRose
April 7th, 2005, 09:46 PM
Thanks guys.

Kern
April 8th, 2005, 12:24 PM
_whistle_ :reading:

RubyRose
April 8th, 2005, 11:39 PM
So ... anybody ready for the next installment?

Kern
April 9th, 2005, 08:44 AM
Go A :uhhuhuh: Make Me Day!

RubyRose
April 10th, 2005, 07:51 AM
Okay.

Nitefalle
April 10th, 2005, 11:04 AM
Definitely ready!!

Ravage
April 10th, 2005, 10:58 PM
oooo.... cannae wait *twitch*...

butterflydreams
April 10th, 2005, 11:07 PM
I'm ready!

The High Queen of Faerie
April 24th, 2005, 02:24 PM
very interesting. :)

i don't know what to say that hasn't already been said...

hmm.

i hadn't known the 'christian' view, that was very interesting.

RubyRose
April 25th, 2005, 11:57 PM
very interesting. :)

i don't know what to say that hasn't already been said...

hmm.

i hadn't known the 'christian' view, that was very interesting.

Yeah, I actually read an exert ... actually it might have been in Lady of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley, that mentioned the christian's theory's of faeries. I must of missed it when reading it the first time.

Carickah
April 29th, 2005, 03:36 AM
Alrighty, I have read lesson one, going to lesson two... weeee...

k

RubyRose
April 29th, 2005, 11:37 AM
Okay, thanks

WulfcwenStar
May 9th, 2005, 08:15 AM
MM
I have had things go missing a lot and in fact I even tried something out for myself. I put a coin an old farthing on the table and left it there nowing it would not be moved as we were going away for a holiday. No one was coming into the place so it would not be disturbed.
When I got home the coin was gone. I lloked on the floor just in case but found nothing. I smiled to myself and said I hope you liked it.
Things often go missing never to be seen again al sorts of things from buttons pens coins and once I lost a tiny note book. My husband often says whoever has them must need them more than we do.
I love the links by the way and have saved them. :flowers:
Onto lesson two.

RubyRose
May 9th, 2005, 11:21 PM
Yeah its strange how things like that happen. Faeries tend to like shinny things though.

WulfcwenStar
May 10th, 2005, 04:06 AM
MM
Funny you should say that faeries like shiny things apart from the farthing the notebook pen and buttons I lost were all shiny. The notebook had a shiny silver cover.
BB Autumn Moon

RubyRose
May 10th, 2005, 04:21 AM
Well there you are then.

CleftOfLight
August 14th, 2005, 07:17 AM
I just stumbled across this,very interesting.

RubyRose
August 14th, 2005, 08:30 AM
Thanks.