PDA

View Full Version : Begining to study Thelema . . .

bshore
April 3rd, 2005, 09:46 PM
So, I've decided to study Thelema in earnest. I've come across some great sites, and have a couple books. A picture is slowly begining to form. Seems like this will take me a couple lifetimes to really get a handle on, but for now it's really interesting. I know there are several thelemites on here, and was wondering where you all started your study. Do you recommend finding a teacher, or is this something I can do on my own to an extent (I ask because my chances of finding someone whose even heard of Thelema are pretty slim where I'm from)? Justy curious. I've found a couple other threads started here about the topic, but they're kinda old so I thought I'd re-open the discussion. Anyone?

bshore
April 5th, 2005, 12:15 AM
um, anyone?

Kaylara
April 5th, 2005, 12:42 AM
Shhhh the Thelemites are sleeping right now... They'll be around tomorrow ;)

cartweel
April 7th, 2005, 01:09 AM
Last year I started this thread, which has some helpful links and users' personal views concerning Thelema: http://www.mysticwicks.com/showthread.php?t=64163

Also (if you're willing to trust a wiki) there is The Free Encyclopedia of Thelema. I just stumbled across this site, so I'm guessing that it wasn't around when I started the aforementioned thread: http://www.egnu.org/thelemapedia/index.php/Main_Page

Personally, I think that Thelema is a wonderful philosophy and have incorporated some of its tenants into my own belief system. Still, I wouldn't go so far as to coin myself a Thelemite any time soon. Good Luck!

whitewater
April 7th, 2005, 01:23 PM
um... ok, i feel a bit stupid, but what exactly is Thelema?

bshore
April 8th, 2005, 01:31 AM
Cartweel, I did see your thread, but haven't seen you post forever, so I just kinda decided to try to re-open the conversation. Your original thread brought me to occultforums.com where I've been lurking and reading, and it's a wealth of information.

Whitewater, Thelema is a philosophy which is closely related to cerimonial magick and usually associated with Aliester Crowley, although it's beginings were much earlier. I'm just a newbie at this, so I'd suggest you check out the thread mentioned above and do some poking arround. It's a really nice philosophy once you get down too it, seems very humanistic to me.

Thanks for actually replying! I'd given up on this thread.

rhee
April 26th, 2005, 08:48 PM
I adore the writings of Crowley, especially the Book of the Law. If you read it aloud it seems to give you new insight each time. Also, the the Book of Thoth gives a wealth of info on understanding the Kabala and will help with other magical workings even if you don't own the cards.

Raintreewolf
May 31st, 2005, 04:40 PM
Yes, I agree that Thelema has much to offer. Thelemites have a tendancy to be ever changing and are very adaptable. By the time you think you cuaght up to something it changes, this keeps them on the edge and away from being narrowed down, defined and put in a box ( lol, I like the box comment here...because if you unfold a box it becomes a cross...lOL, a little irony here).

It is the revival of eastern philosophies in a modern western occult way. Many see wisdom in Crowley's works and others do not whole heartedly subscribe to him. I personally think Crowley went beyond and stretched himself, he truelly dared to be different and followed his very own path, he was also an extreem intellectual who pieced together ancient mystery stuff.
I like and use his book 777 as a reference book for planetary and kabalistic workings.

Crowley was a mad man, though! LOL but he has showen us by testing many bounderies that we do not need to subscribe to superstition and allow that to rule our lives...in an odd way he has helped liberate the magic arts again by braving the public eye,.

There are all sorts of groups out there that more than likely you can find in your area....um, you might look into the OTO and there you can find teachers and classes and initiations into a group that practices Thelema.

I believe Thelema means," Will".
" Love is the Law, Love under Will. Do what thou will, shall be the whole of the Law." I think that is saying and belief that Themlamites subscribe to.

Good luck with that!
Blessings,
~Rain

sidhe
December 29th, 2005, 02:20 PM
I started off by reading Crowley's writings and anything I could find by Lon Milo Duquette. There are also a few Thelemic message boards about, but those are, IMHO, better for lurking than real participation. There are some real deep thinkers, and some really not-so-deep thinkers, and the discussions between them are what are illuminating.