PDA

View Full Version : Dreamcatcher

Raevy
October 11th, 2001, 01:06 PM
I want to start making Dreamcatcher because I love the way they look and what they represent (and I could really use on over my bed... weird dreams make no good nights sleep), but I'm still looking for new ideas for the frame you use.

You can either use natural colored or really colorful leather-strips, you can use hemp-string or maybe, if you want it to look more glitzy, you could even use copper-wire... Another possibility is to use a bamboo or wooden frame instead of a metal one and leave it bare.

These are the ideas I came up with, anyone have other suggestions? I'd be really grateful.

*edited to delete some annoying typos*

Yvonne Belisle
October 11th, 2001, 01:16 PM
I have a few links on them if you want I think they are interesting. Some one in a thread mentioned a beaded one I think and one of the web sites mentions using grapevine.

Lavender
October 11th, 2001, 01:16 PM
I made one where I used an oak twig that I bent into a circle. I wrapped it with cotton & silk.

Raevy
October 12th, 2001, 05:24 AM
Another possibility I heard someone use - she goes into the forrest and looks for forked branches and sort of weaves the web between the branches like spiders do. It's sounds awesome, but I think you need some practising first because it's not round and closed all the way...

Lavender
October 12th, 2001, 01:35 PM
Depending on the size of the fork, you can soak the branch to make it more supple for bending. That's what I did with the oak.

Kadynas
October 13th, 2001, 04:42 AM
I did mine the easy way, I guess...I went to the craft store and bought some big metal rings, and wrapped leather cord around it. To make the web I used some sort of waxed twine...it actually feels sticky! :D I used the twine stuff to tie the feathers onto little pieces of dangling leather cord and then used pony beads over that, so you couldn't see where i tied on the feathers! Then I had a little dangling beaded string with a feather on the end come out of the center of the web, and I tied on an arrowhead.

I would love to know how to make one from branches though! That would look so much neater than mine!

Mythrel
October 13th, 2001, 03:12 PM
I need to do something about my dreamcatcher. My cousin made it for me and when I put it over my bed, I stopped having dreams all together....took it down like 6 mo ago and I am now just starting to get dreams again...like 1 a week....it stinks
I miss my dreams

Mythrel

Laiste
October 28th, 2001, 07:35 PM
Here are some instructions to make a dream catcher...I think I'll give it a try myself!:)

http://www.nativetech.org/dreamcat/dreminst.html