PDA

View Full Version : Who Came First: The Irish ~* or *~ The Celts

Firestorm
October 11th, 2001, 05:15 PM
this conversation has outlasted many family holiday feasts
for too many a year

The Irish decended from The Celts just as The English descended from The Anglo-Saxons and/or The Normans

my Irish heritage goes back many generations to the northern reaches of Ireland, but if i could trace it back a bit further i would reach the ages of the Celts; unfortunately, kirk records (church
records) were ill-kept and be in too poor a condition to research

Mairwen
October 11th, 2001, 06:02 PM
Uh. No.

There were natives on the Irish Isle long before the Celts got there. Same with Scotland and England. In this case, the chicken came before the egg.

Sorry.

Danustouch
October 11th, 2001, 06:49 PM
Did the original tribes of Ireland (those that predated the Celts) have a name? Or was they the descendents of the Tuatha De Danaan, Fir-bolgs, and such? Or..maybe, you are referring to the Tuatha De Danaan and Firbolgs, Mairwen? Sorry, I get confused on my Irish Mythology too...which group came first, and such. Read it a million times, by my brain goes dyslexic on me when I try to remember which came first, so could you clarify for me???

Mairwen
October 12th, 2001, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by Danustouch
Did the original tribes of Ireland (those that predated the Celts) have a name? Or was they the descendents of the Tuatha De Danaan, Fir-bolgs, and such? Or..maybe, you are referring to the Tuatha De Danaan and Firbolgs, Mairwen? Sorry, I get confused on my Irish Mythology too...which group came first, and such. Read it a million times, by my brain goes dyslexic on me when I try to remember which came first, so could you clarify for me???

No, there were an indigenous people there before the people were "invaded" (as such) by the Fir Bolg, before the TdD, before the Celts.

kittiepoetrygod
October 12th, 2001, 03:31 PM
Where they farmers or shepherds? Or goatherds or cowherds(?).

Mairwen
October 12th, 2001, 05:23 PM
Probably. Does it matter?

Lavender
October 13th, 2001, 01:22 AM
Where does the Picts fit into this?

I'm getting facts & fiction mixed up here. :rolleyes:

Myst
October 13th, 2001, 02:21 AM
Wait. Wait. Why does any of this matter, btw? (not trying to be rude, just wondering)

Mairwen
October 13th, 2001, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by Wildchild
Where does the Picts fit into this?
I'm getting facts & fiction mixed up here. :rolleyes:

The Picts were an indigenous tribe (to what is now the UK).

Lavender
October 13th, 2001, 11:34 PM
Thank you! :)

Where did the Celts originated from if they were not indigenous to Ireland?

Danustouch
October 13th, 2001, 11:48 PM
that is a VERY debateable topic. LOL. There are a couple of schools of thought on that, I believe. Anne Moura seems to think they came, originally, from the Indus Culture. I've also heard Spain, though. Hmmmmmm..Mairwen??? HELP!

Ball-Bhreac Ron
October 14th, 2001, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by Wildchild

Where did the Celts originated from if they were not indigenous to Ireland?

ooh! ooh! I was watching 'The Celts' on Channel 4, and apparently (like all civilisations, so it seems), the Celts orginated from the East...perhaps not Middle East, but sorta Bulgaria type-placey (where IS Bulgaria? I just said that because it sounded good. But some tradtionally- type Eastery place)......

Hope that helps.......??? I know where I mean.........lol ;)

Mairwen
October 14th, 2001, 06:40 PM
The Celts were not indigenous to Ireland. There's great speculation as to where they did come from, though. Most things seem to point to "The East" ~ but nobody can agree on what "The East" actually means.:rolleyes:

Keron
October 15th, 2001, 02:40 AM
I am superbly confused. Before reading this, I always thought that the Celts came from Ireland. However, free Gaul extended over a HUGE area. We can still rule out Germany, Rome and... is it Bulgaria? No idea. Anyway, did Gaul once cover even French territory? Or am I confusing up Asterix and Obelix down here? :)

Mairwen
October 15th, 2001, 03:11 PM
The Celts did NOT originate in Ireland. Period.

Xander67
October 15th, 2001, 05:21 PM
hey wait aminute you are leaving out ATLANTIS!!! the celts originated in Atlantis didn't they, or do the history/mythology books LIE LOL

Shadowulfe
October 15th, 2001, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by Xander67
hey wait aminute you are leaving out ATLANTIS!!! the celts originated in Atlantis didn't they, or do the history/mythology books LIE LOL

That is one theory Xander....and one I believe is true. But most of the Mythology books i read didn't state where the Celts originated from...it just said "from the East"

Keron
October 16th, 2001, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by Mairwen

"Before reading this...", that was what I said. "Before".

Mairwen
October 16th, 2001, 01:14 PM
http://www.geocities.com/slvrphoenix/celtic.html

Mairwen
October 16th, 2001, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by Keron
Originally posted by Mairwen

"Before reading this...", that was what I said. "Before".

Yup. Me too. :D

Mairwen
October 16th, 2001, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by Myst
Wait. Wait. Why does any of this matter, btw? (not trying to be rude, just wondering)

It's important because to understand a culture and the people and things within it, it's important to understand where that people/thing originated. Calling something one thing when it's indeed something else is ... wrong. Not only wrong but ill-informed and unscholarly.

Ball-Bhreac Ron
October 16th, 2001, 02:53 PM
I :heartthro Atlantis, of course it was real :D<---Dopey grin. Sorry, I take a while to realise whats going on.....

Keron
October 17th, 2001, 11:43 AM
Ok, thanks Mairwen, and high-five! Quotable notable-- "Great minds think alike, but fools seldom differ". So which ones are we? :)

Mairwen
October 17th, 2001, 11:50 AM
I'd rather hope we're among the Great Minds!;)

Keron
October 18th, 2001, 02:21 AM
That's a definite "same here" from me.