PDA

View Full Version : Welsh Reconstructionism?

nightstream
April 7th, 2005, 09:40 AM
After getting out my copy of the Mabinogion for a brief reference on a project, I started re-reading it and remembering how much I enjoyed it in the past, and that got me thinking...
I've been intrigued by different forms of Celtic Reconstructionism in the past, but most of the dedicated individuals and coherent groups that I've encountered have followed an Irish or Scottish pantheon or set of deities. I hadn't thought about it until now, but does Welsh Reconstructionism exist in any larger form than in the individual lives of some really dedicated and researching individuals?
I did a websearch which didn't turn up much except for material from Y Tylwyth Teg (http://www.tylwythteg.com/), but I don't really feel very comfortable with the material they present on their website, so that seemed to turn up a dead end.

I'm just curious to know if there are folks out there that have pursued this...

DraoinanDuanaire
April 7th, 2005, 10:28 AM
These guys (http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/silurian/index.jhtml) don't have much up, but you don't seem to be completely alone...

Geist
April 7th, 2005, 02:11 PM
I'm Welsh but I have never really heard of any kind of Welsh reconstructionism of any kind sorry.

Morag Elasaid Ni Dhomhnaill
April 7th, 2005, 03:31 PM
I'm Welsh but I have never really heard of any kind of Welsh reconstructionism of any kind sorry.

I'd be willing to bet that most Irish and Scots have never heard of Gaelic Traditionalism or Irish/Scottish Reconstructionism/Restorationism either. Having not heard of something doesn't mean it's not there.

Nightstream, I don't know if you've tried this yet, but also try looking up Brythonic Reconstructionism/Restorationism or Cymric. Also I know Yahoo! Groups (http://groups.yahoo.com) has several Gaelic reconstructionist lists, so perhaps you might be able to find some Welsh recons hanging around there as well.

nightstream
April 7th, 2005, 10:56 PM
Nightstream, I don't know if you've tried this yet, but also try looking up Brythonic Reconstructionism/Restorationism or Cymric. Also I know Yahoo! Groups (http://groups.yahoo.com) has several Gaelic reconstructionist lists, so perhaps you might be able to find some Welsh recons hanging around there as well.

Awesome... the more search terms, the better :) I'll definitely be doing some more searching down that path in the morning... thanks!

ap Dafydd
April 8th, 2005, 09:06 AM
You'll have your work cut out trying to be a Welsh recon for two reasons:

1. In Pagan times there was no such place as Wales
2. Many elements of Welsh culture derive from outside this country

Being a Welsh _con_structionist is a bit more promising (I consider myself to be one) and derive my path from five main areas:

1. Celtic religion in the Classical period, together with what is known of religious practice in pre-Celtic and Celtic times on Welsh territory
2. The Bardic tradition of post-Roman Britain, especially deriving from the Old North and the work of Neirin, Myrddin, and Taliesin
3. The folk customs and lore of the people
4. The Druidic work and reconstructionism of Iolo Morgannwg and his followers

and most of all

5. The spirit of the Land itself

You will find a lot of material on all these things if you look (though not as much as there might be), but the quest isn't an easy one if you're not in Wales.

gwyn eich byd

Ffred

Ron
April 8th, 2005, 08:22 PM
What ap Dafydd said. :)

nightstream
April 8th, 2005, 11:32 PM
You'll have your work cut out trying to be a Welsh recon for two reasons:

1. In Pagan times there was no such place as Wales
2. Many elements of Welsh culture derive from outside this country

Being a Welsh _con_structionist is a bit more promising (I consider myself to be one) and derive my path from five main areas:

1. Celtic religion in the Classical period, together with what is known of religious practice in pre-Celtic and Celtic times on Welsh territory
2. The Bardic tradition of post-Roman Britain, especially deriving from the Old North and the work of Neirin, Myrddin, and Taliesin
3. The folk customs and lore of the people
4. The Druidic work and reconstructionism of Iolo Morgannwg and his followers

and most of all

5. The spirit of the Land itself

You will find a lot of material on all these things if you look (though not as much as there might be), but the quest isn't an easy one if you're not in Wales.

gwyn eich byd

Ffred

Whew... yeah, that would make it difficult.
I'm not sure if this would be something that I would make up my mind to pursue in the end (only been wondering about it for two days so far, heh...), but that's always been something that I've felt weird about with Recon religions - I don't feel right, as a little mutt-blooded American girl, trying to reconstruct something that I have no genetic claim to (especially considering how tied to culture Recon religions are). I wouldn't want to do a crap job of it if I were going to try it, either, nor would I want to dishonor what I intended to honor by barging in as an outsider... that's been a feeling that I've had difficulty with when considering Recon religions.
But in any case, I don't think it would be a bad thing to take my current interests and questions and at least learn more about things... education ain't bad :)
Thank you so much for some new avenues of things to learn :)

ancestral_lee
April 9th, 2005, 03:09 PM
nightstream,

you know, if you became more intertesed in the welsh lot and started to follow that as a path and did it carefully, with respect and care for the people, culture, history etc. id have far more respect for someone who is able to say as you did 'mutt-blooded American girl' and demonstrate an understanding for thier path than for somone who claims great granny was welsh so they have the right etc... and whom then go on to make a pigs ear of thier understanding of a welsh path.

good luck and all the best

lee

ap Dafydd
April 11th, 2005, 08:08 AM
Whew... yeah, that would make it difficult.
I'm not sure if this would be something that I would make up my mind to pursue in the end (only been wondering about it for two days so far, heh...), but that's always been something that I've felt weird about with Recon religions - I don't feel right, as a little mutt-blooded American girl, trying to reconstruct something that I have no genetic claim to (especially considering how tied to culture Recon religions are). I wouldn't want to do a crap job of it if I were going to try it, either, nor would I want to dishonor what I intended to honor by barging in as an outsider... that's been a feeling that I've had difficulty with when considering Recon religions.
But in any case, I don't think it would be a bad thing to take my current interests and questions and at least learn more about things... education ain't bad :)
Thank you so much for some new avenues of things to learn :)

Like Lee said, approaching something with honesty and humility is going to get you much further than barging straight in convinced you know it all after a week.

It's not about genetics (us Welsh are about as mixed as you can get, especially these days), it's about commitment.

Often, finding something out for yourself rather than getting someone else's potted version is far more rewarding!

gwyn eich byd

Ffred

nightstream
April 11th, 2005, 10:16 AM
nightstream,

you know, if you became more intertesed in the welsh lot and started to follow that as a path and did it carefully, with respect and care for the people, culture, history etc. id have far more respect for someone who is able to say as you did 'mutt-blooded American girl' and demonstrate an understanding for thier path than for somone who claims great granny was welsh so they have the right etc... and whom then go on to make a pigs ear of thier understanding of a welsh path.

good luck and all the best

lee

Thanks to both of you, lee and Ffred - that's some great encouragement :)

Kern
April 12th, 2005, 07:07 AM
You may want to check out Caer Feddwyd (http://caerfeddwyd.proboards43.com/index.cgi) also.And this is their Home Page (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/blackbirdhollins/)

nightstream
April 12th, 2005, 10:23 AM
You may want to check out Caer Feddwyd (http://caerfeddwyd.proboards43.com/index.cgi) also.And this is their Home Page (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/blackbirdhollins/)

Oooh.... thank you! I just spent the last thirty minutes browsing the articles... thank you, this is great :)

Kern
April 12th, 2005, 02:41 PM
Oooh.... thank you! I just spent the last thirty minutes browsing the articles... thank you, this is great :)
You are Very Welcome!

StellaLuna
March 9th, 2006, 03:03 PM
I have recently felt this STRONG draw to the Welsh pantheon. I too discovered tylwythteg.com and did not feel comfortable there at all (no offense to any one who may be a part of that).
I have Scottish heritage, and am also interested in Scottish reconstructionism, but the attraction to this is undeniable. I am very interested in 'construction', as I can see 'reconstruction' is not entirely possible. I hope to keep this thread going and hear from more who are dedicated to this.
I will look into those sources listed above, and will revisit the Mabiniogen. (I started it some time ago). Is there any one here who feels they have gained enough knowledge on this subject that they would be interested in being sort of a mentor; a guide? Is this where I should start. I am very serious about this and want to approach it with complete respect and diligence.

bright blessings*Kari

ap Dafydd
March 14th, 2006, 09:05 AM
I have Scottish heritage, and am also interested in Scottish reconstructionism, but the attraction to this is undeniable. I am very interested in 'construction', as I can see 'reconstruction' is not entirely possible. I hope to keep this thread going and hear from more who are dedicated to this.

Being Scottish doesn't of course divorce you from the Welsh path. Before Scotland was Gaelic it was Brythonic, and it was the kingdoms of Lothian, Strathclyde, and Cumbria where the earliest Welsh poets wrote their stuff, back in the 6th century. There should be plenty of heritage available for you to research there!

gwyn eich byd

Ffred