PDA

View Full Version : Vegetable Garden

Shy Hawk
October 13th, 2001, 04:35 PM
I would like to start one this year. I have said it before, I have a black thumb....and being the daughter of a farmer, this is quite embarrassing.

So....how do I get prepared for next years garden? When should I start planning? And, what are good veggies for my area?

:D Thanks

Swanspirit
October 13th, 2001, 05:06 PM
NO ONE has a black thumb,,,,,,,, it is just covered with DIRT LOL........
FIRST ...... find out what growing ZONE you are in...... and what vegetables grow well in your area..... MAKE FRIENDS with other gardeners ...... LOL they are so helpful..... start a garden book and PLAN PLAN PLAN ......
Make friends with someone that has a HORSE FARM LOL and ask them for free manure.....
Get some book about organic gardening and read all winter ..........
But you can dig your garden and fertilise it now..... and when you go to plant in the spring you will be off to a great start!!!
Love and Light and Water and Earth grows everything !!!

Lavender
October 13th, 2001, 10:40 PM
Well, it depends on how much work you want to do now. One thing to prepare the garden is to turn over all the dirt now. Plant a ground cover crop such as rye seeds or alfalfa. Next spring, turn all these over again & this will provide good nutrients for your new plants.

Start planning out your garden by deciding what herbs or plants you want. Read up on them as to the care & the type of soil & how big they grow. Richters will send you a catalogue if you ask them to put you on their mailing list. Even if you don't buy from them, their catalogue is a great source of info & great as a reference.

Shy Hawk
October 13th, 2001, 11:07 PM
That's why I loves you. :D
Small problem, I'll be moving into my new house during winter, prolly January. So I wont have my garden till then....will it be too late for this year then?

Lavender
October 13th, 2001, 11:30 PM
In that case, you can still plan out your garden & think about what seeds & plants & such.

In March or so, when the ground is thawed enough to dig, get a couple of bags of mushroom manure (depending on the size of your garden) & dig it into the ground. Swannie had a good idea about the horse manure but you don't want to use live manure in the Spring time...no time for it to decompose properly & will burn your plants.

Right now is a good time to plant bulbs for next year. My favs are daffodils & crocuses.

If you're looking for herbs to grow indoors, basil, thyme & oregano can be started now as seedlings & transplanted to a pot. Starting them now at this time of year is ok. But I find that they're not quite as healthy & happy as the earlier plants. It can work, though.

Did I answer any of your questions or am I rambling?? :D

Shy Hawk
October 14th, 2001, 12:08 AM
Thanks