PDA

View Full Version : Lesson 4 Rune Magick

SilverClaw
April 15th, 2005, 01:02 PM
Rune Magick

When using runes for magick you need to start off with making sure you know what your runes mean and what they can do in the way of magick. Also like any type of magick it does take time, practice and patience to master.

When doing these spells you need to know what your intent or purpose of your rune spell will be and, you need to be familiar with your runes enough to properly select the runes you will use, as well as the type of rune spell you will use..

In Rune magick there are three types of rune spells that can be used on their own or in conjunction with other types of magick.

Inscriptions
Rune scripts
Bind runes

Rune Inscriptions
Rune inscriptions are usually composed of one rune, and can be used in simple spells such as a wishing ceremony or candle magick.

Rune Scripts
Rune scripts are usually composed of two or more runes lined in a row, that indicate a certain outcome by their positioning. Others say they are composed of 3, 5,7, or 9 runes and sometimes 11 and 13 runes. Whatever number of runes you use make your script remember not to overcrowd it, having a lot of runes in a script does not necessarily make it work better.

So before you make a rune script, get an idea of what you want to do first and based on your purpose then decide how many runes you want to use. Also make sure that you know why you choose the runes you did for your script.

Bind Runes
A bind rune is another way of using runes in magick, it usually consists of two or more runes joined together in a way. Usually when you make a bind rune you will see other runes appear in it to. Some say this if it is a rune that may conflict with your bind rune that you should try to join it another way, so that you can still achieve the intent of your spell work.

EXAMPLES OF EACH TYPE OF SPELL

R

R to bring change

Rune script

Rfwd

R to bring change

F to bring change and achieving goals

W to motivate and complete task

D to bring a positive outcome

Bindrunes
using the same runes as a bove here is an example of a bindrune

http://www.mysticwicks.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=38626

SilverClaw
April 15th, 2005, 01:06 PM
The materials you can use for run Magick and please note this is only a partial list I am sure that you can all add more to it.

****paper, wood, clay, candles, ink, paint

Candle Magick

When using a candle you can pick the colour and rune that both represent the intention of your spell. Then inscribe your rune onto the candle. Then as you light the candle, focus on your intent of the spell as you light it. While the candle is burning you can visualize the rune and the colour of the candle or you can chant, or say a prayer.

Runic wishing ceremony

1) Basically in a runic Wishing Ceremony you choose a rune script (or if you want a bind rune) and write it down on a piece of paper or material of your choice and then, 2) burn it into a fire pit if you can outside or with a burn proof container and burn it with a candle. When it is burning you can focus on your wish and focus on the runescript you wrote and visualize it traveling to the four corners of the universe.

STILLL MORE TO COME!

SilverClaw
April 15th, 2005, 01:23 PM
Assignment Part 1

Assuming you have already started to meditate and get familiar with your runes. It is time to practice each of these spells. It will take to time to practice with these type of rune spells to see which method works best for you.. So do not get discouraged this is only the first step.

So with that said I would like the following done.

For each Rune spell, select the runes that you want to use and post the runes and why. Remember that you can use http://www.tarahill.com/runes/runemean.html for a reference and more importantly remember to follow your intuition.

Assigment Part 2

Now that you have your inscription and bindrune, please finish the spell and please post what you are goign to do.

ollathair
April 17th, 2005, 08:09 AM
OK, here's my attempt at the Rune Magick assignment :)

I am currently in the process of writing a novel and I am procrastinating very, very badly soooooo ...

My Rune Inscription is:

thurisaz -- for focus and discipline (self).

My Rune Script is:

I chose the following Runes:

thurisaz -- for focus and discipline (self);

kenaz -- for creativity and inspiration;

wunjo -- for achievement of goals;

dagaz -- for success.

----------

Using the above Rune Script I created the attached Bindrune (Bindrune1).

Whilst examining the Bindrune I discovered three other runes created by it. They are attached as Bindrune2, Bindrune3, and Bindrune4 and are:

Bindrune2 -- mannaz for self and family (I want to write this book for my wife, as well as myself)

Bindrune3 -- ehwaz for communication (writing is the communication skill I am developing)

Bindrune4 -- inguz for productivity (I need to switch on and produce words to produce sentences to produce paragraphs to produce chapters ... to produce a marketable book)

Budding Phoenix
April 20th, 2005, 08:42 PM
Rune Inscription
Z

Z to assist in controlling my emotions

Rune Script
Zngth

Z to assist in controlling my emotions
ng to break from the past holding me back
th to walk into a new freedom, able to move on with my life

Bind Rune

l
l\
l/
l
y
x
x

I do not know how the other student was able to draw and post a proper bind rune. I attempted to make one within the capacities of quick reply and achieved only a partial result. The x's should be touching, there should be a line down from the y touching the center of the first x. Above the y should be the symbol for Thurisaz. There should be connecting lines between the gaps in Thurisaz and between the two perpendicular lines for Thurisaz.

Budding Phoenix

Clockwork_Eros
April 21st, 2005, 05:53 PM
Oooh! I never finished lesson three! Bad me! I promise I will.

I do have two questions though. What about the Galdr(sp)-the chant/song of the rune- as a magical device? And, how carefully should bindrunes be made. Most of the runes can end up making new runes when you bind them, and will these add unwanted energy to the mix?

SilverClaw
May 4th, 2005, 02:03 AM
Yes CE and until you are finished 3 you cannot come jumping into 4 sorry no skipping allowed :)

Please note some more has been added to the above lesson posts and I will add more about tailsmans and charms tommorw.

WulfcwenStar
May 6th, 2005, 07:47 AM
MM
Here are my Runes that I chose
One Tune (Wishing Rune)
[B]Uruz = Energy, Strength Passion I chose this because I ned energy and strength to move forward in the things I am doing. Passion is needed as well as passion in life is always a good thing.

Rune Script

Ougaz = Happiness Success Positive actions
ehwaz = Motion energy moving forward postive action

I chose these Runes as these are important to me. The abiltity to move forward and have happiness in life is something that was lacking in my life until now. To be able to succeed in what I do within my life is also important as the changes I have made are of both a spiritual and physical nature.

Bind Rune

By combining all three Runes I have bound Energy with Happiness and Positive actions
Within these Runes there are
inguz = Balance, bounty and productive growth
raido = journey, change and action
gebo = gift, offering,love and unexpected fortune
laguz = emotions,ability to go with the flow and to help others
kenaz[B] = wisdom. insight and an abilty to see things clearly

All of these are compatable with my intention as having these will aid the abilty to move forward and make the changes needed to do so and to obtain greater happiness and success in what I do.

These may seem selfish but there have been many changes in my life and the ability to make the changes and move forward is not always easy as many of the changes involve health matters. So I chose Runes that aid these things. To some success means ambition to me it means being able to make the neccesary changes in life that will be beneficial to me, my family and to my health. I have attached the picture of the Bind Rune.
BB Autumn Moon

SilverClaw
May 6th, 2005, 12:15 PM
AutumnMoon did you notice the other runes that appeared in your bindrune?:)

WulfcwenStar
May 6th, 2005, 05:50 PM
AutumnMoon did you notice the other runes that appeared in your bindrune?:)

Ok! I think I found wunjor = glory, success reward joy and bliss an abiltity to be happy in what you do.
Also opalia reversed right way up it = security belonging home to feel complete reversed it would mean a wanting or need to feel secure to belong and be complete.

I have not found any others though. Have I missed any more? If so I cannot see them or ami I looking too hard!
BB Autumn Moon

SilverClaw
May 6th, 2005, 07:20 PM
I also see M d e

not to mention some of the runes you mentioned show up more then once in your piece.
good job.

WulfcwenStar
May 7th, 2005, 04:48 AM
I also see M d e

not to mention some of the runes you mentioned show up more then once in your piece.
good job.

MM Bran
Now you point it out I can see them sometimes I look and simply do not see what is there.Thank you for pointing them out to me I will add them to the list.
BB Autumn Moon

SilverClaw
May 7th, 2005, 11:42 AM
no problem :sunny: You did a great job on the first part of the assignement.

SilverClaw
May 11th, 2005, 06:19 PM
Ok the second and final part to the assignment is up for the asssignement.

Nighthawk.Dancing
May 13th, 2005, 06:46 PM
And Class has been extended to the 20th May.
:woot:

Budding Phoenix
May 14th, 2005, 01:43 AM
I think I'm missing something here. I am not sure how to complete the spell, and what do you mean by post what I'm going to do?
Budding Phoenix

SilverClaw
May 14th, 2005, 12:30 PM
Ok you just have to write up the spell you will use with the inscription or bindrune you made. Are you going to use the any of the methods mentioned on the #2 post or our you going to do somethin else.

Basically what I am looking for is you going through the entire spell process using the runes.

SilverClaw
May 14th, 2005, 12:31 PM
If anyone wants me to put up the tailsman or tattoo infor I have please let me know ok?

johenn123
May 15th, 2005, 10:46 AM
i apologise but I cannot take part in this lesson (beliefs) but I will tak part in the next one

WulfcwenStar
May 15th, 2005, 10:56 AM
MM
Here is the 2nd part of Lesson four.
In order t complete my spell I will:
Gather together all the items I need for the altar and elements Candles for the Fire, incense for Air, Salt for Earth, water for Water along with an Orange candle for my Candle magic. I will cut the Binding Rune into the candle. Casting my circle I will invoke the Goddess and God and powers of the North South East and West along with the Elements.
Stating my intent that of Balance, Happiness and Energy I will light the candle and visualize my intent. Seeing myself being able to seek out balance in my life, having the energy I need allowing me to move forward and finding happiness in what I do no matter how small. I would then close the circle thanking the Godess and God and all the powers and elements.
Leaving the candle to burn down completly my spell is done.
BB Autumn Moon

SilverClaw
May 15th, 2005, 04:32 PM
i apologise but I cannot take part in this lesson (beliefs) but I will tak part in the next one
Ok, but just so you know this is is the last lesson in the class.

SilverClaw
May 15th, 2005, 04:34 PM
AutumnMoon_3, congratulations for being the first person in the rune Class to graduate I will see about getting a banner made for you if you want one.

KellyP
May 16th, 2005, 02:56 PM
Rune Inscription:
In the image with the red background below, I have Gebo the rune I chose as an inscription on a nice red candle offered to the Norns in return for their guidance during my runecasts. Gebo is the Gift rune.

Rune Script:
Going back to my casting of the World Tree Spread I chose the primary runes from there to form my script: Fehu, Ihwaz, Ehwaz and Berkano. On the blue background below you will see my rather crude representation of the script. Fehu is the what I hope to learn and Ihwaz shall guide me. Ehwaz will assist me and when I have learned Fehu better, Berkano shall be the result. So the script can be read as Fehu begets Berkano through the application of Ihwaz and Ehwaz. I hand printed this script on some nice art paper and it hangs on my office monitor as a reminder.

Bindrune:
For my bindrune I sought something I could employ at my hearth. Thus I started with Othala, the rune of the ancestral home. The figure on the green background below is my bindrune. As you can see, it contains Othala but very cleary Ing, Gebo, Kenaz, and Sowilo.

Othala - ancestral home
Ingwaz - place of separation, storing of one's energy, a place to grow
Gebo - gifting, sharing of hospitality, sacrifice for another
Kenaz - creativity, craftsmanship, inspiration
Sowilo - goals, good advice, success

Rune Magic:
I etched the bind rune on several pieces of dried hickory wood before soaking them in water. Then, I started a small charcoal fire in a container and added the hickory to generate a heavy smoke. Walking to each corner of my property, I conducted a brief ritual thanking the landwights present and asking that they continue in the service of my family along with aiding us in fostering those characteristics present in the bindrunes. The smoke of my fire, bearing the bindrune, was the offering made in return for their help in protection and guidance.
Once the rituals were completed, I brought the coals back and used them to start a fire in the grill to cook the evening's meal. In doing this, my family and I shared the smoke and blessing from the bindrune with the landwights.

SilverClaw
May 16th, 2005, 02:59 PM
Oh wow Kelly you know you only had to choose one this is awesome.:yourock: And from the looks of things you to are also now finished the class.

KellyP
May 16th, 2005, 03:07 PM
Oh wow Kelly you know you only had to choose one this is awesome.:yourock: And from the looks of things you to are also now finished the class.

Thank you. I appreciate the positive comments.

We really need some sort of CoT diploma that folks could download when they finish the courses.

SilverClaw
May 16th, 2005, 05:45 PM
Well i have banners being made and I guess I do have a means of making a diploma type thing but I am not sure I have the time right now to do it.

KellyP
May 16th, 2005, 09:43 PM
Well i have banners being made and I guess I do have a means of making a diploma type thing but I am not sure I have the time right now to do it.

Oh no. I don't think anything is necessary. The banners will be a nice touch and greatly appreciated.

SilverClaw
May 17th, 2005, 02:07 AM
Ok, well the banner is posted it was done by Faewyn. Hope you like it :cutesanta

Nighthawk.Dancing
May 17th, 2005, 09:38 PM
Rune Magic:
I etched the bind rune on several pieces of dried hickory wood before soaking them in water. Then, I started a small charcoal fire in a container and added the hickory to generate a heavy smoke. Walking to each corner of my property, I conducted a brief ritual thanking the landwights present and asking that they continue in the service of my family along with aiding us in fostering those characteristics present in the bindrunes. The smoke of my fire, bearing the bindrune, was the offering made in return for their help in protection and guidance.
Once the rituals were completed, I brought the coals back and used them to start a fire in the grill to cook the evening's meal. In doing this, my family and I shared the smoke and blessing from the bindrune with the landwights.
MM, KellyP!
I really like your idea of using soaked wood to create smoke.
:apirate: Do you mind if I follow your example in some way or another?

BB, NighthawkDancing

Nighthawk.Dancing
May 18th, 2005, 12:00 AM
:boing: Thank you so very much for your help, KellyP!

Nighthawk.Dancing
May 18th, 2005, 12:57 AM
Bran, would uruz & berkana work against each other, since one's very masculine & the other is feminine?

SilverClaw
May 18th, 2005, 02:09 AM
Listen to your intution, and tell me what it says :D

Nighthawk.Dancing
May 18th, 2005, 12:51 PM
More thinkin' to do then! :bouncybob

SilverClaw
May 18th, 2005, 01:14 PM
Well remember 2 days till the end of the class so do not think to ling :)

Nighthawk.Dancing
May 19th, 2005, 03:32 PM
My goal is to become more healthy, physically & emotionally balanced, strong, and energetic, primarily. My husband and I just started talking about preparing to become pregnant, so the fertility aspects of these runes should be helpful. I want to feel less achy and energy-drained so I can DO all of the little things that make me feel more fulfilled.

For a rune inscription, I chose sowulo (success, positive energy, increase, power, activity, fertility, health).

For my rune script, I expanded upon sowulo to get:
sowulo [success, positive energy, increase, power, activity, fertility, health]
for: energy, strength, success, healing, fertility
berkana[fertility, health, new beginnings, growth, conception, plenty, clearance]
for: healing (especially infections), achieving conception, making a fresh start
laguz[emotions, fears, unconscious mind, things hidden, revelation, intuition, counselling]
for: enhancing psychic abilities, confronting fears, stabilizing mental or emotional disorders, uncovering hidden things
inguz[work, productivity, bounty, groundedness, balance, connection with the land]
for: fertility, farming, growth, general health, balance
šagaz[happiness, success, activity, a fulfilling lifestyle, satisfaction]
for: to bring a positive outcome

And for my bindrune, I highlighted these 5 primary runes in the attachment. Additionally, I found 9 other runes within the bindrune. The most interesting thing about what I found is that I had thought about including uruz, gebo, wunjo, and ožila, but decided to go with just the 5 above - but, I found all of those runes in my finished bindrune, plus the following: kenaz, ansuz, raišo, ehwaz, and isa.
The fact that uruz defines pretty much the whole shape of my bindrune fascinates me, since that was one I had really planned to include, but it only showed up in the shape of the bindrune after I added berkana to it, physically.
I think that all of the "found" runes add to the spirit of what I'm trying to accomplish. I was somewhat dismayed to find isa in there, but since it was such a large part of my castings I'm not really surprised. Since that's the only one that had a nature that potentially opposed what I'm trying to accomplish I really thought about it. I came up with two thoughts. One, the lessons I seem to need to learn from isa - according to the spreads we did - are those of patience, rest, & potential, I think, and those work within the bindrune spell. And, two, I don't see any way to not include isa in a bindrune if it includes any vertical line! :hmmmmm:

Is there another way to join my five primary runes that won't include so many additional runes in a bindrune?

Nighthawk.Dancing
May 19th, 2005, 03:46 PM
To complete this assignment I will use either the rune script or the bindrune written in ink on paper, most likely. (I don't think I'll be able to do it on wood, this time.)
If I can come up with a new bindrune that doesn't include so many addiitional runes, then I'll use that, otherwise I'll probably use the rune script. The bindrune just seems so.. complicated, now that I've found so many other things in it. But I wish I could keep
I will cast my circle in my backyard, burning a sweetgrass braid as an offering and invitation to the four directions & the spirits that dwell there. I will meditate on the desired outcome for a while, and then burn the rune-paper while continuing to visualize my desired outcome. (positive energy, health, stabilization, balance, happiness) Using the sweetgrass braid again to thank the spirits for helping me make this new health & balance possible, I will dissolve the circle.

:thewave:

*bounce* How'd I do Bran?

SilverClaw
May 19th, 2005, 04:12 PM
You did great ND and you are also now finished the class.

Oh one thing though did you look over you bind rune and see any other runes?

Nighthawk.Dancing
May 19th, 2005, 04:23 PM
:fpartay: Woot!

Yes, if you look at the second attachment you can see all of the other runes I found once I made my bindrune. (wunjo, kenaz, othila, gebo, uruz, isa, ansuz, raido, ehwas)
Did you mean there were more? If so, I'll have to check it again. I'm off to run errands so I'll have to check later.
_vb_

SilverClaw
May 19th, 2005, 07:22 PM
opps missed it ok you did see it :D

Nighthawk.Dancing
May 19th, 2005, 08:45 PM
opps missed it ok you did see it :D

Schweeet! Thanks!
BB, ND
:ringaroun

SilverClaw
May 20th, 2005, 12:07 AM
:crown:

Maverynthia
May 20th, 2005, 02:46 PM
After finishing Lesson 3 (which I am regretfully sorry it was painfully late) I'm posting my Rune Magics:

I actually did this one a while back. It was to protect my fish from my roomate at the time. What I did was both visualize and 'paint' the rune Algiz on the size of the tank with the water from the tank. I focused on her ignoring the fish so htey wouldn't be something she'd want to touch.

Rune Script:
Algiz and Sowulo
I only wanted two as I see cramming more runes in would clutter it up and I like a clear focus. I used these two in the dirt around here near a path so I can have a clear stable future.

Bind Runes:
Using the two above I carved this on my computer desk, which is where I will be doing my work to gain myself a clear-steady future.
The Runes made from this BindRune were:
Thurisaz: This and Wunjo are both in where Sowulo meets Algiz. This one aids in focus and Dicipline.
Kenaz: At the top of Algiz rotated. The torch is back to lead into the future.
Wunjo: Success along the road, success to help me be steady.
Teiwaz: Top of Algiz, upsidedown. I only read Tarot cards in the reverse so this retains it's meaning. It's the warrior path and strength again.
Laguz: Left fork of Algiz into the middle stroke of Sowulo. As this one is pretty hidden, it could mean that there are going to be hidden forks in my path that may help me.

SilverClaw
May 20th, 2005, 05:39 PM
Hi Maverynthia great work.